Buck to Slug [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Buck to Slug

Boeydafunk
02-01-2011, 19:32
What is everyones buck to slug ratio for HD? LEO Patrol? Truck Gun? Just curious. I know there are many schools of thought on the use of slugs, and their place in the shotgun world. I mean inside of house distances, buck is the king, but how often do you anticipate having to shoot at someone who is outside of the "B Zone" as it were and switch over to slugs? 10 to 1? 5 to 1? 3 to 1? Let me know your thoughts
DaFUnk

dc2integra
02-01-2011, 19:40
I keep mine loaded with 00 buck and keep slugs on the side saddle just in case i have to do a quick changeover.

G23c
02-01-2011, 19:47
I keep mine loaded with 00 buck and keep slugs on the side saddle just in case i have to do a quick changeover.

this. I don't want to be counting shells and thinking whats in the tube in a tense HD situation.

MacG22
02-01-2011, 20:21
I keep two slugs in the saddle. Just what I've adopted over the years. It does for HD and for bear duty, so it's easy for me.

I don't keep slugs in the chamber for HD, I use buck. However, if I have to go to an out property or the distances open up past 15 yards, I'll do a switch. I've practiced it enough that it's automatic to me now.

B Coyote
02-02-2011, 02:10
Since my duty shotgun does not have a side saddle, neither does my primary personal gun.

I carry extra ammunition a Sneaky Bags Mini. There are 18 loops on the back panel of the large compartment with slugs. The middle pocket has 30 rounds of 00 buck with the shock-chord pulled tight.

The shotgun is going to be the only long gun I have on duty. I'd rather have a heavier load out of ammunition to make up for not having a patrol rifle accessible.

bc

Boeydafunk
02-02-2011, 16:39
So for those of you who carry slugs on the saddle only say 1 to 1 or 2 to 1 ratio, do you think you "need" that many slugs? What if the fight stays in the "B Zone"? If you need that many slugs, why not bring a rifle?
BCoyote, I see your point with no rifle availble.
G22, I think your more reasonable with your choice. Not that anyone else is wrong, but slugs are a compromise, not the ideal thing to have when a rifle can be deployed. Slugs are better than a handgun, but no substitute for a good rifle. If the shotgun is in your hands and the distance stretches however, its nice to reach out with a slug.
SO... lets say I have a 55 round bandolier, how many rounds of buck and howmany slugs should I fill it with and why?
DaFUnk

GlockN9ne
02-02-2011, 17:17
SO... lets say I have a 55 round bandolier, how many rounds of buck and howmany slugs should I fill it with and why?
DaFUnk

go half and half...with 55 rounds, if you run out of either, you don't need more ammo, you need backup.

MacG22
02-02-2011, 17:26
DaFUnk

If I had a 55 round bandolier I would still have only 1 or 2 slugs. Maybe 4 just in case I cut murphy off in traffic.

But what I need it for isn't that complex.

However, some LEOs are only allowed to carry shotguns on duty, and they will use at home what they use on the job. In that case, slugs are essential.

I don't think too many of us fall into that category, however, even among the LEOs.

Nest
02-02-2011, 17:28
I have 6 buck in the magazine tube. 5 buck and one slug on the side saddle. Then a bandoleer hangs next to the shotgun that hold 25 shells. It has 20 buck and 5 slugs.

JokerOne
02-02-2011, 17:33

I think thats good advise.

CAcop
02-02-2011, 17:52
Once I get around to putting a sidesaddle on my shotgun I will fill the mag with 5 buckshot rounds and have 6 slugs on the sidesaddle.

If I were using this gun for my work I would probably be using my Eagle Indust. Active Shooter Bag that has two pockets. One slug, one buck. Each pocket will hold about 50 rounds. If I were to use it at work I might look at Olongapo Outfitters rig that has three pockets that hold IIRC 25 each. Then I might go with 25 buck, 50 slug just because I figure at work if I am going to have to dig that deep into my ammo supply it is because I have a really bad active shooter going and I probably need to reach out and touch someone with innocents around rather than blast them close range.

Odds are I would probably never get past what was on the gun.

ScrappyDoo
02-02-2011, 20:27
I am not using slugs unless absolutely necessary, for several reasons, some probably only important or relevant to me. I keep my shotgun loaded with 00 Buck. Usually regular old - 00 Buck, I usually buy Winchester 15-round packs of 00 Buck and Winchester 15-round packs of Rifled Slugs. My Mossberg 930 SPX has been hooked up with a custom Choate "+1" rather than a +3 magazine extension, to make it Jersey legal (semi auto total shotgun rounds, 6 or under)...So I got 00 Buck in the gun, usually fairly simple stuff.... [Although right now I have some Winchester PDX-1 expensive stuff in there, got a deal, and it's buck and ball HD ammo] ... I also have a cloth shell carrier on the stock, with two simple Remington "Slugger" rifled slugs, 2 more rounds of regular Winchester 00 Buck, and a round of birdshot.

Chances are, if I'm using my shotgun I'll be firing buck. That's what I'm defending myself and my friends/family/position with immediately, and unless this becomes a drawn out affair or I have to take some sort of "offensive" shot I'm not really expecting to use a slug.... But I'm definitely keeping some because you just never know. Might have to bust up an engine block or something, Black Hawk Down style :-)

Z71bill
02-03-2011, 15:38
I keep six 0 buck in the tube - five 000 on the side saddle -

I live in a residential area - no reason to use slugs that I can come up with - in the normal HD situation anyway - if a BG gets out of my home I will not be following him. Any distance inside my home buck shot will do the trick.

I have a pile of slugs in storage - if I ever need them - but if the S ever does HTF to the point where slugs would be a good choice - I will most likely just go straight to the AK. :dunno:

BBJones
02-03-2011, 16:02
DaFUnk

To answer your original question. Six 00 in the tube and one in the chamber. Four more 00 and two slugs in the side saddle.

If you have a need for 55 shotgun shells, you like carrying around shotgun shells as jewelery or you are delusional.

David Armstrong
02-03-2011, 16:05
Mac and I agree on this one. Barring unusual circumstances, just a couple of slugs is all. I keep mine in a little 2-round shell holder so I can grab them and slip them onto the belt easily. The true workhorse for the shotgun is shot, and for personal defense that means buckshot. So use buckshot. Yes, something might pop up that is odd, and for that you might want an "odd situation" round. But buck is the general purpose fighting load.
If you don't have access to a rifle, and/or you are planning on using the shotgun as a rifle, then you might want to rethink things.

DaFUnk

Put a dozen or so buck in a shoulder bag, a couple of slugs where you can get them (in your pocket if need be), and throw the bandoleer away. It is heavy, gets in the way, and is hard to use.

marlinfan
02-03-2011, 18:18
6 00 buck in the gun

GLOCK4536
02-03-2011, 19:06
At the moment i have the mag loaded up with 5 #3 buck (20ga) but when i get a shell holder soon, it'll be loader with 3 more buck and 2 slugs. Being the #3buck has 20 pellets in it, that's 100 pellets at 1200fps at about 10-15yards. Hope thats enough to get the job done. If i do my job!!

B Coyote
02-03-2011, 21:57
6 00 buck in the gun

So you're saying that he shouldn't use slugs? Or you're saying your ratio of buck to slug is 6 to 0?

bc

ScrappyDoo
02-03-2011, 22:17
Use buck for HD. it's THAT simple. Slugs - deer hunting. Buck -=' bad guy hunting.

B Coyote
02-03-2011, 22:33
Until you are being hunted from beyond 25 yards.

Each type of shell has it's place.

Will slugs be used commonly in a HD scenario? No. Should they be totally discarded? Also, no.

YMMV, and apparently does.

bc

collim1
02-04-2011, 07:16
I carry 4 buck in the tube and 6 buck in the saddle. I do not carry slugs in the gun at all anymore. If I think I might need range, I will grab my .40 caliber instead of the shotgun.

My dept does not allow rifle calibers, so it is between issued shotgun or personally owned Ruger PC .40.

WhiskeyUnicorn
02-04-2011, 07:18
I've got tons of 00buck...one box of slugs

BigNic
02-04-2011, 07:52
Seven 00 buck in the tube, four 00 and two slugs in the saddle.

BigLaw
02-04-2011, 08:59
The last two in my tube are slugs ( On duty use ) I had it loaded like that before we got rifles and still load it the same way. The bail out bag I grab with it has more 00, 5 slugs and some less lethal loads.

Boeydafunk
02-04-2011, 18:24
Big law, this is where we dissagree. I think that slugs are a specialty load and should not be placed in the tube, but reserved for special circumstances. As I think I have mentioned, I know buck is the workhorse of the shotgun, but in the c zone slugs are essential

A6Gator
02-07-2011, 12:37
a couple of slugs where you can get them (in your pocket if need be)

Or something like this:

http://3gungear.corecommerce.com/Slide-Loc-2-Pac-p22.html

Gunboat1
02-07-2011, 14:33
Choate Mk 6 stock on my 870; mag tube full of 00 Buck, sidesaddle with 5 more 00 buck, and 5 slugs in the stock. Plenty of both, with separate storage areas for easy load selection. 25-round bandolier/belt has mostly buck and a few (5-6) slug.