Ethernet / network card problems [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet / network card problems

Brian0128
02-01-2011, 22:25
I've got an older HP Slimline 3020n that I was having problems with due to a virus. I restored it to the factory condition using system restore. Now, the wireless card works but the ethernet connection isn't working. I did some searching online and there is a known issue with this happening and it said to update windows, so I installed all 55 updates and 1 of them was for my networking card.

Now, when I plug the ethernet cable into the back it doesn't blink like it does on my other desk top. I don't think it's recognizing the card. I called HP but they want 50 dollars to walk me through the troubleshooting. This is my mom's computer and she doesn't have wirless at her place so I'd really like to get this figured out so she doesn't come over to use the interet every day.

I went to Network and Internet Connections and checked the network connections. On my local area connection it says network cable unplugged, but the cable is plugged in. I kep getting "Plug a cable into the network adapter local area connection". It's at the computer side. I unplugged the cable and tried it in another computer and it lights up and works fine. But when I plug it in to the broken computer it doesn't light up. I was reading some posts on the net about it and it sounds like the networking card isn't recognized. I am running Windows Vista if that makes a difference.

I checked the drivers on the card and the computer says it is the most recent driver.

Any tips on how to troubleshoot this problem?

Pierre!
02-02-2011, 08:18
Here is what I would do...

Goto HP and check your computer make and model to confirm the manufacturer of the NIC

Uninstall the NIC drivers, delete the NICfrom your system in Computer Manager / Device Manager

Goto the NIC manufacturer's site, get the most recent drivers - install and test, then report back your findings.

Hope that helps...

gemeinschaft
02-02-2011, 08:30
I would suggest

From CMD Prompt:

ping 127.0.0.1

Then post if you get a response.

Brian0128
02-05-2011, 10:58
I would suggest

From CMD Prompt:

ping 127.0.0.1

Then post if you get a response.

Ping statistics for ::1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0
Approximate round trip times in milliseconds: Time < 1ms

Brian0128
02-05-2011, 11:00
Here is what I would do...

Goto HP and check your computer make and model to confirm the manufacturer of the NIC

Uninstall the NIC drivers, delete the NICfrom your system in Computer Manager / Device Manager

Goto the NIC manufacturer's site, get the most recent drivers - install and test, then report back your findings.

Hope that helps...

I would like to try this, but I don't know how to uninstall drivers and then delete them.

I went into system settings and found the device mgr. I located network adaptors and there are 2. ONe for a NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet and the other is a USB Wireless Adaptor.

I went into advanced properties for the NVIDIA and went to properties.
Under General it says the device is working properly.
Under advanced, flow control is enabled, Interupt is enabled, Low power state link speed is enabled, Network Address is not present, Priority & VLAn says enabled, Speed / Duplex settings is on Auto Negotiation, VLAn ID is on 1, and Wake on is enabled.

Also, the driver is updated.

If I go to the top and click VIEW and then show hidden devices, a whole bunch of stuff shows up in the Network adapters column, and there are no yellow exclamation points next to any of it. Most of it is WAN Miniport stuff.

gemeinschaft
02-06-2011, 00:13
I sent you a PM.

HotRoderX
02-06-2011, 00:26
even if the proper driver isn't installed u should still be getting some lights on the network card which he isn't according to his post. Make sure the Cable is plugged in and solid into the back of the network card I seen Some issues in the past where the plastic protector on the network cables can cause plug in issues. If that don't help try a different network cable if you can. Also make sure the connector is plugged into the Router/Modem solidly and that the router modem is turned on. I know it sounds retarded but you be surprised how easy things can get unplugged and not noticed. If all else fails and the reinstalling the drivers and checking all the cable connections doesn't work It might be time to buy a new network card. Most built in Network cards are of a extremely cheap variety. If you do end up needing a new network card most electronics stores have them and some walmarts don't pay over 19bucks.