Opinons on 2 Kimbers I am interested in [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Opinons on 2 Kimbers I am interested in

PrecisionRifleman
02-01-2011, 22:45
Hello GlockTalk,

I'm really wanting to get a nice 1911. I have two pistols that I'm considering which are the Kimber Pro TLE II and the Kimber Eclipse Pro II. I really really like the finish and grips that come with the Eclipse Pro II and that is what I am leaning towards buying. I don't really know much about the reliability with hollow points with the 2 or of any other possible issues so I thought I'd reach out to you 1911's guys for some feedback.

glock2740
02-01-2011, 23:03
Between those two, I'd go with the TLE Pro.

dnuggett
02-01-2011, 23:09
Why are you considering only Kimber?

PrecisionRifleman
02-01-2011, 23:59
I saw the Kimber and Springfield in a local shop and I really liked them both however it seems Kimber has more options in the higher quality line. I could very well be wrong as I don't have much experience with the nicer quality 1911's. I do like Wilson Combat however they are more expensive than the Kimber by a fair amount. I'm honestly not wanting to spend more than $1,200, but I am willing to spend up to $1,500 out the door. That being said I've really liked the finish of the Kimber Eclipse for a long time now (ever since I first saw one at a gun show about 3 years ago). I don't want to pay for a gun that only looks good because I also want to CCW the weapon so reliability is high important to me. Any feedback from owners or anyone who has ran one through it's paces is appreciated. I am mostly looking for any potential reliability issues as I have heard of people having issues with high end 1911's not feeding hollow points without issues. If there are any other brands in my price range that I should be considering please let me know so I can make sure I'm getting the best bang for my hard earned dollar.

Below is a link to the pistol I am seriously interested in.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=214427494

AZ Husker
02-02-2011, 00:51
Sounds awful high to me. Maybe I'm just out of touch. That's getting close to Les Baer or used Wilson prices.

asiparks
02-02-2011, 00:58
The Eclipse is very pretty, but the finish was notoriously prone to wear, especially if carried, which is what you want to do... of the 2 mentioned, i would take the TLE Pro. If you have your heart set on Kimber, you might also consider the Super Carry Pro or wait a while for the steel framed Super Carry Pro HD to come out. Both lack the shwartz safety ( generally considered a good thing) and have excellent sights and the 2 tone KimPro finish might be considered attractive.
The bobtailed butt may or may not work for you though, it's something you'd have to personally try.....
but....
...$1500 will get you a gently used Les Baer Stinger or a new stainless Dan Wesson VBOB, both vastly better than Kimber with regards to fitting and parts quality.

PrecisionRifleman
02-02-2011, 01:05
The Eclipse is very pretty, but the finish was notoriously prone to wear, especially if carried, which is what you want to do... of the 2 mentioned, i would take the TLE Pro. If you have your heart set on Kimber, you might also consider the Super Carry Pro or wait a while for the steel framed Super Carry Pro HD to come out. Both lack the shwartz safety ( generally considered a good thing) and have excellent sights and the 2 tone KimPro finish might be considered attractive.
The bobtailed butt may or may not work for you though, it's something you'd have to personally try.....
but....
...$1500 will get you a gently used Les Baer Stinger or a new stainless Dan Wesson VBOB, both vastly better than Kimber with regards to fitting and parts quality.

I'm not necessarily set on the Kimber. Honestly it's the only 1911 that I have held that felt to be made of superior quality. I would rather buy a slightly used 1911 that is of superior make to the Kimber if it is nicer. I didn't know that the Eclipse finish was prone to wear, and now knowing that it is removed from my list. I am only willing to spend this kind of money on a steel frame handgun. I want the most strength and quality I can get as this will likely be the only pistol I have in this price range.

I just took a look at the Dan Wesson you recommended and I have to say that is one fine looking 1911. Thank you all very much for the feedback.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=213824025#PIC

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=214340377

PrecisionRifleman
02-02-2011, 01:21
Looking closer at both the Kimber and the Dan Wesson I notice that the Dan Wesson slide is a tighter fit. I had no idea 1911's got into such detail and quality. I feel that I may be willing to invest a little more money into this venture.

samuse
02-02-2011, 01:55
If you can swing $1500, save a little longer and Get a Les Baer or have a Springfield Mil-Spec built at the Springfield custom shop.

Kimbers are fairly low on the quality scale, no matter what trim they come with...

PrecisionRifleman
02-02-2011, 02:09
If you can swing $1500, save a little longer and Get a Les Baer or have a Springfield Mil-Spec built at the Springfield custom shop.

Kimbers are fairly low on the quality scale, no matter what trim they come with...

Came across this finish in the Dan Wesson. This finish is about $250 more than the stainless however I like the black finish much more. Is this price the going rate or is this too high?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=213370901#PIC

samuse
02-02-2011, 02:22
That seems too high, but it is a nice gun.

For that much money, I buy a Springfield Mil-Spec and have it built exactly they way I wanted it.

This is a G.I. I had built at Springfield for about the same money as that Wesson would cost.

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab76/sammuse/Springer/springer.jpg?t=1296638466

TheJ
02-02-2011, 02:37
You might try looking at some of the 1911 forums for info as well.

cdunn
02-02-2011, 03:57
make sure you get a steel frame so when it stops working you can throw it.
seriously kimber would be my very last option,you can get good stuff for cheaper or a little bit more.

Nickpisp
02-02-2011, 06:54
For $1200 - 1500..........get a TRP.

lawdog734
02-02-2011, 07:25
Read Bac's write up under the 1911 faq and review section. He gives a review of A LOT of guns. He put a lot of work into it and I bet you will find it helpful.

asiparks
02-02-2011, 11:01
Came across this finish in the Dan Wesson. This finish is about $250 more than the stainless however I like the black finish much more. Is this price the going rate or is this too high?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=213370901#PIC

the black finish is some form of salt nitriding aka Melonite aka Isonite aka Atrinite. Is is as about a wear resistant finish as you can get, I have it on my dan wesson CBOB and love it.... That black VBOB is a quality weapon, however,
it's worth checking GB and the classifieds here. I picked up this Ed Brown Kobra (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=211683878) and this Baer Premier (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=213478908)for less and there 's been quite a few other decent Kobra Carrys , Special Forces Carrys and Stingers in that price range...

Also check here on Elite deal seeker
(http://elitedealseeker.com/index.cgi?searchword=baer&category=gunstuff&ageupperlimit=15&function=Search)

here's my Kimber Super carry, Dan Wesson CBOB and Ed Brown Kobra. The DW and EB are so far above the Kimber in terms of finish, fitting, component quality etc that it's not even funny...Why do I have the Kimber ? because it was used, cheap and I was curious....or was that my first wife...?

http://gallery.me.com/asiparks/100410/DSCN2909/web.jpg

rsxr22
02-02-2011, 11:20
LOts of good recommendations here!!! Used LB's, EB's, and DW's are awesome guns. If you wanted a gun that was higher quality than either of the Kimber's you mentioned and also CHEAPER, check out the STI Trojan.

Hokie1911
02-02-2011, 11:27
For under $1,500 all-in....if you want a 4.25", I'd get a VBOB. Above that, get a Baer.

PhoneCop
02-02-2011, 16:39
I recommend discounting the Kimber haters, many of whom who never owned one, had a unique bad experience with one, or have heard the repeated complaint seeming from vocal minorities.

Every Kimber owner I can verify loves their Kimber.

I own two. Not a single complaint.

Of the two, I'd hedge towards the TLE. Though I suspect you'd be pleased with either.

Note, I did not disparge any other brand of 1911. I did not repeat any hearsay negatives against another manufacture or report any negative informatin about brands I've personally observed, as they are truly irrelevent.

Hokie1911
02-02-2011, 16:50
Where are you hiding the "Kimber haters" in this thread? Did I miss something? :dunno:

jrs93accord
02-02-2011, 17:04

I do not agree. I like my Kimbers. I would recommend the Kimber brand to anyone as long as it fit their needs.

As far as the Eclipse being notoriously prone to wear, I am not aware of that and I own three of them.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea2010/001-12.jpg
I think that the Eclipse is one of the nicest looking models Kimber produces.

I carry a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II in a Galco leather holster.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea_08/jamesrea09/DSC00688.jpg
After six years of being in and out of the holster, you would never know it. I would be more concerned with its finish rather than the Eclipse.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea_08/jamesrea09/jamesrea10/001-9.jpg

I will say that there are other options. There always are. I have several 1911s in my collection that are nice options. I cannot tell someone to buy a certain model, but I can say to buy what you feel comfortable buying.

PrecisionRifleman
02-02-2011, 17:16
Where are you hiding the "Kimber haters" in this thread? Did I miss something? :dunno:

I'm sure if this was a "1911" forum this topic would have become a hot debated in reference to brand. I appreciate everyone's advice which has been very helpful.

asiparks
02-02-2011, 17:22
As far as the Eclipse being notoriously prone to wear, I am not aware of that and I own three of them.

perhaps you are very lucky, you don't handle them much or they've changed the black oxide on the rounds to something more resiliant. But it used to be very sparingly applied and wear off and scratch like a mo fo....

I have 4 Kimbers now. I've had about another 6. They're not horrible and I don't hate them. Not sure I'd ever buy another new one, though...

PrecisionRifleman
02-02-2011, 17:22
I do not agree. I like my Kimbers. I would recommend the Kimber brand to anyone as long as it fit their needs.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea2010/001-12.jpg
I think that the Eclipse is one of the nicest looking models Kimber produces.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea_08/jamesrea09/DSC00688.jpg
After six years of being in and out of the holster, you would never know it. I would be more concerned with its finish rather than the Eclipse.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea_08/jamesrea09/jamesrea10/001-9.jpg

I will say that there are other options. There always are. I have several 1911s in my collection that are nice options. I cannot tell someone to buy a certain model, but I can say to buy what you feel comfortable buying.

Thank you for sharing pictures of your very nice collection. It's good to hear from someone with a lot of personal experience with the Kimber.

Hokie1911
02-02-2011, 17:28
Thank you for sharing pictures of your very nice collection. It's good to hear from someone with a lot of personal experience with the Kimber.

James definitely has that. :rofl:

PhoneCop
02-02-2011, 18:15

In my opinion, apparently. In yours, apparently not. I respect your opinion to interpret posts as you deem. Please respect mine.

PrecisionRifleman
02-02-2011, 18:19
I recommend discounting the Kimber haters, many of whom who never owned one, had a unique bad experience with one, or have heard the repeated complaint seeming from vocal minorities.

Of the two, I'd hedge towards the TLE. Though I suspect you'd be pleased with either.

Note, I did not disparge any other brand of 1911. I did not repeat any hearsay negatives against another manufacture or report any negative informatin about brands I've personally observed, as they are truly irrelevent.

I certainly appreciate your feedback and you not bashing other manufacturers. I'm looking for personal experiences and not internet hear say. Thanks for sticking to the facts.

Navitimer
02-02-2011, 18:28
I own a TLE II and love it. No FTFs, FTEs, etc., just perfect performance in all the ammo I've fed it. The night sights and front strap checkering are nice extras.

Rinspeed
02-02-2011, 18:37

The lower end Kimbers shoot as well as anything in their price range. Would they be better quality if they used the crappy two piece barrel that SA uses. :upeyes:

Hokie1911
02-02-2011, 19:04
In my opinion, apparently. In yours, apparently not. I respect your opinion to interpret posts as you deem. Please respect mine.

How was I not respecting your opinion? Just didn't see a lot of Kimber bashing that's all. I have no problem with Kimber.

Nickpisp
02-02-2011, 19:10

1) There aren't any Kimber haters in this thread. The only negative comment was from Samuse and he has a negative comment for everything.

2) I have two Kimbers and don't love them.

3) You spelled "information" wrong.

GeorgiaRedfish
02-02-2011, 19:11
How was I not respecting your opinion? Just didn't see a lot of Kimber bashing that's all. I have no problem with Kimber.
You ignorant Kimber racist, you are so effing disrespectful. I HATE YOU

:wavey:

Hokie1911
02-02-2011, 19:16

I've been called worse by better. :rofl:

GeorgiaRedfish
02-02-2011, 19:23

I don't believe you know anyone better.

TKR Reptiles
02-02-2011, 19:37

That is probably one of the most ignorant statements I have ever read...

Ignore people that are obviously misinformed or just want to run their mouths on the subject... Out of the original two you mentioned I would go with the TLE Pro...

TKR Reptiles
02-02-2011, 19:39

:wavey:

I don't believe you know anyone better.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

You two crack me up!

samuse
02-02-2011, 19:56
That is probably one of the most ignorant statements I have ever read...

Ignore people that are obviously misinformed or just want to run their mouths on the subject... Out of the original two you mentioned I would go with the TLE Pro...

That's why you see so many people using Kimber small parts when they upgrade their guns.

craig19
02-02-2011, 20:09

Where did you get those grips? Those are very nice.

GeorgiaRedfish
02-02-2011, 20:13

You two crack me up!
It would crack me up too if we were joking, that mofo lives in Ohio. I know for a fact he doesn't know anyone better than me.

bac1023
02-02-2011, 20:17
I like my Kimbers as well. I carry my Pro CDP almost daily.

Hokie1911
02-02-2011, 20:22
It would crack me up too if we were joking, that mofo lives in Ohio. I know for a fact he doesn't know anyone better than me.

You're such a jackass. :rofl:

GeorgiaRedfish
02-02-2011, 20:24
Truth hurts man. Especially when you live in Ohio, how much Ice you got out there today?

:supergrin:

TKR Reptiles
02-02-2011, 20:26
That's why you see so many people using Kimber small parts when they upgrade their guns.

That is also why there are two guys on here that own over 50 1911's each, and they both carry a Kimber daily... Nuff said...

TKR Reptiles
02-02-2011, 20:27

Truth hurts man. Especially when you live in Ohio, how much Ice you got out there today?

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Nickpisp
02-02-2011, 20:37

About as many as you see using Colt and Springfield small parts to upgrade.....

GeorgiaRedfish
02-02-2011, 20:39
About as many as you see using Colt and Springfield small parts to upgrade.....
I'm using a Colt trigger to upgrade...........:crying:

Nickpisp
02-02-2011, 20:41
I'm using a Colt trigger to upgrade...........:crying:

Couldn't get a Kimber trigger? :rofl:

GeorgiaRedfish
02-02-2011, 20:43
Couldn't get a Kimber trigger? :rofl:
Colt is the only one I could find that had the EXACT trigger i wanted.

Nickpisp
02-02-2011, 20:46
Colt is the only one I could find that had the EXACT trigger i wanted.

It's ok, all my Colt's have Colt triggers in them. :supergrin:

GeorgiaRedfish
02-02-2011, 20:47
It's ok, all my Colt's have Colt triggers in them. :supergrin:
Hey they are quality aluminum triggers from what I read.

Hokie1911
02-02-2011, 20:49

Couple of inches on top of about a foot of powder. :crying:

GeorgiaRedfish
02-02-2011, 20:50
It is the coldest it has been here all week. A nippy 39!!!! YIKES. My home town is probably 43/44. I need to go home...

bac1023
02-02-2011, 21:01
Couple of inches on top of about a foot of powder. :crying:

Yeah, its been a rough winter. Real rough.

GeorgiaRedfish
02-02-2011, 21:03
Yeah, its been a rough winter. Real rough.
We had half an inch of ice once this winter, and shut the whole town and the University down for 3 days.:shakehead:

samuse
02-02-2011, 21:12
That is also why there are two guys on here that own over 50 1911's each, and they both carry a Kimber daily... Nuff said...

I'd call that a clue...:whistling:

glock2740
02-02-2011, 21:31
Great post. :thumbsup:

Hokie1911
02-02-2011, 21:38

That's only because Brian doesn't want to have to deal with the heartbreak of having a $5,000-7,000 pistola taken into evidence and being handled by who knows how many people, banging around a property room, and possibly never to return to his carpet. :supergrin:

rich n
02-02-2011, 21:48
I just got an Eclipse Pro from Buds for $1038. Most accurate gun I own but I had to send it back to Kimber for what I think is extractor problems. It seems to be a common problem with Kimber theese days. It is a good looking gun though, but if Im ever going to carry it it better come back 100% or its down the road.

Hokie1911
02-02-2011, 21:57
I just got an Eclipse Pro from Buds for $1038. Most accurate gun I own but I had to send it back to Kimber for what I think is extractor problems. It seems to be a common problem with Kimber theese days. It is a good looking gun though, but if Im ever going to carry it it better come back 100% or its down the road.

Don't be a Kimber hater. :rofl:

Berto
02-02-2011, 22:00
I've only owned 3 1911's and I prefer the Kimber.
The other two were Colts, though.
It's very accurate and reliable over 2K so far, what should I hate about it?

GeorgiaRedfish
02-02-2011, 22:03
My buddy got a steal on a Kimber 4", it is the lower end model (I'm not well versed in their models), his buddy was a gamble and pill addict. Sold it to him for 300 to get a quick fix on one of the two addictions. He seems to like it a lot, he said the finish was crap so he got it duracoated. He also got a kimber 22 top end for it he likes.

Berto
02-02-2011, 22:04
I wish I knew more junkies.

Nickpisp
02-02-2011, 22:12
, and possibly never to return to his carpet. :supergrin:

:rofl::rofl:

glock2740
02-02-2011, 22:29
I'm sure after they tune it, it will be just fine. If Kimber seems to have a few more problems than other brands, it's because they sell a hell of alot more 1911's than anyone else. Actually, more than several anyone else's combined. Law of averages.

kimberguy
02-02-2011, 22:53
I saw the Kimber and Springfield in a local shop and I really liked them both however it seems Kimber has more options in the higher quality line. I could very well be wrong as I don't have much experience with the nicer quality 1911's. I do like Wilson Combat however they are more expensive than the Kimber by a fair amount. I'm honestly not wanting to spend more than $1,200, but I am willing to spend up to $1,500 out the door. That being said I've really liked the finish of the Kimber Eclipse for a long time now (ever since I first saw one at a gun show about 3 years ago). I don't want to pay for a gun that only looks good because I also want to CCW the weapon so reliability is high important to me. Any feedback from owners or anyone who has ran one through it's paces is appreciated. I am mostly looking for any potential reliability issues as I have heard of people having issues with high end 1911's not feeding hollow points without issues. If there are any other brands in my price range that I should be considering please let me know so I can make sure I'm getting the best bang for my hard earned dollar.

Below is a link to the pistol I am seriously interested in.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=214427494

I dont know if you have a local you deal with but I got a great deal on my Kimber from Kentucky Gun Co. I dealt with a little lady named Sarah and she was awesome. They had several Ultra Raptors and she took several pics of the grips on a couple that she thought were the best looking so I could make the final decision. She shipped that day and I saw my new toy 3 days later. Flawless transaction, great price and great customer service. BTW, The Eclipse was my second choice, I do love the look. Its a bit heavier but I think that finish will hold up better for EDC. I bought my Sig from her too and the transaction was as seemless as the first. I am probably gonna call her today and order the S&W M&P I've been eye ballin for a few weeks.

For what it's worth, I have 900 down the pipe on my Ultra Raptor without one issue. Love my Kimber =)

http://www.kygunco.com/products2.cfm/ID/1848 It says out of stock but I know the website is not always up to date.

If you talk to Sarah, tell her the guy that named his Kimber after her sent you! lol

GVFlyer
02-02-2011, 23:11
Just an additional data point: I had a Kimber Pro Raptor II that I purchased for carry so as not to jeopardize any of my better 1911s. It could not be made reliable so I traded it away to someone that knew its problems but thought that he wanted a Kimber.

Regarding my future purchase of Kimbers: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on...

bellsguns
02-03-2011, 00:32
:wow:This has been great!!!!!!!!!!!
Hope there is more to come,i'm bored w/tv!
Good Night!:rofl:

Z28ricer
02-03-2011, 01:12
My Kimber said it needed 500 rds breakin, I had a hiccup or two in there.

After that none since, its been fed a decent bit of wwb, and HST

I bet there are owners of ferraris out there that have problems too, doesnt mean a vette wont keep you happy.

I'll be buying more Kimbers, for those pushing for $2000+ handguns, I'd love to see you carry your WC, or LesBaer, as religiously as I do my Kimber.

jrs93accord
02-03-2011, 01:55
Where did you get those grips? Those are very nice.

From Kimber. :supergrin:

jrs93accord
02-03-2011, 01:57
That's only because Brian doesn't want to have to deal with the heartbreak of having a $5,000-7,000 pistola taken into evidence and being handled by who knows how many people, banging around a property room, and possibly never to return to his carpet. :supergrin:

Good one Paul.

TheJ
02-03-2011, 02:48
I <3 my Kimber. But there are other fine choices available too.

R0CKETMAN
02-03-2011, 04:24
For $1200 - 1500..........get a TRP.

Now you're talkin.....closer to the low end of that range.

Also, there were two NIB Les Baers for sale last week and both were mid $1,500's, both steel blued. One a TRS and the other a Custom Carry

Yep, hate seeing an Heirloom Precision groped by an untrained eye/hands.

Now back to Kimber hating...I will never own one. Just too many better builds.

PhoneCop
02-03-2011, 06:30

Strike 2.

PhoneCop
02-03-2011, 06:31
1) There aren't any Kimber haters in this thread. The only negative comment was from Samuse and he has a negative comment for everything.

2) I have two Kimbers and don't love them.

3) You spelled "information" wrong.

1) Wrong
2) Unverified
3) Spelling Nazi

craig19
02-03-2011, 06:36
From Kimber. :supergrin:

Those are pretty nice. Of course the Army ones are out of stock right now.

GeorgiaRedfish
02-03-2011, 06:57
Strike 2.

1) Wrong
2) Unverified
3) Spelling Nazi
Uh oh you guys you are getting on the wrong side of Phone cop......BE afraid:rofl:

Hokie1911
02-03-2011, 07:11
Strike 2.

Oh no. :shakehead:

Guess I'm off his Christmas card list.

Hokie1911
02-03-2011, 07:15
Uh oh you guys you are getting on the wrong side of Phone cop......BE afraid:rofl:

Trust me, not worried. After you you've been here a while, you will figure out what he is all about and that most people don't care what he has to say and generally ignore him. :thumbsup:

rich n
02-03-2011, 07:56
I'm sure after they tune it, it will be just fine. If Kimber seems to have a few more problems than other brands, it's because they sell a hell of alot more 1911's than anyone else. Actually, more than several anyone else's combined. Law of averages.

I agree with that, and I did research before I bought and knew this might happen. I can't believe as solid as this gun feels and as accurate as it is it can't be made to run properly. CS at Kimber was good.They told me basically not to waste any more $ on ammo and send it back. I told them I had 250 rounds through. Hoping for the best.:rollsmiley:

Nickpisp
02-03-2011, 08:08
1) Wrong
2) Unverified
3) Spelling Nazi

You must be an awesome "Teledetective" to dispute all that. :rofl::rofl:

Hokie1911
02-03-2011, 08:14
I agree with that, and I did research before I bought and knew this might happen. I can't believe as solid as this gun feels and as accurate as it is it can't be made to run properly. CS at Kimber was good.They told me basically not to waste any more $ on ammo and send it back. I told them I had 250 rounds through. Hoping for the best.:rollsmiley:

Sounds like they are going to make it right. Hope they do and it runs for you the way it supposed to.

lawdog734
02-03-2011, 08:16
I had two kimbers. The first was a tle which ran perfectly and it's trigger was so nice that my friends still bring it up. I sold it due to bills. The second was a used raptor. That was was having some failures to feed. I took it to a local smith, he checked the extractor, polished the feed ramp, and turned the recoil spring back around (yes, input it back in backwards). It ran great after that. I sold it to buy my no name.

Rinspeed
02-03-2011, 08:21
You must be an awesome "Teledetective" to dispute all that. :rofl::rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:

MD357
02-03-2011, 08:23
Kimbers are low on the quality scale as far as small parts go, relative to Colt and Springfield anyways. They do have a higher amount of tolerance stacking aswell from my experiences. This is what bites them in the arse.... sorry but the excuse of selling a number of 1911s therefore they will have more problems doesn't work. Didn't work for Colt when their QC went to crap decades ago either.

From the Custom II to the SUPER DUPER GOLD MATCH there is literally no difference in small parts, barrel etc. Kimber has no custom shop and they nearly charge custom shop prices.

Nickpisp
02-03-2011, 08:25
Kimber has no custom shop and they nearly charge custom shop prices.

What????????:wow:
:rofl:

Hokie1911
02-03-2011, 08:41
But it says "Custom Shop" right on the slide. :faint:

Rinspeed
02-03-2011, 08:51
They do have a higher amount of tolerance stacking aswell from my experiences.

Do you even know what tolerance stacking is. :upeyes:

lawdog734
02-03-2011, 09:11

I don't. What is it?

MD357
02-03-2011, 09:16

Absolutely, DO YOU? If you care to relay something that involves critical thinking involving what I said then by all means.....

Goes back to what I said about the "custom shop." But hey if you think they cherry pick their parts for their higher end guns and spec them out in the said "custom shop" then by all means, keep on believing it.

TKR Reptiles
02-03-2011, 11:17

asiparks
02-03-2011, 14:20
I'll be buying more Kimbers, for those pushing for $2000+ handguns, I'd love to see you carry your WC, or LesBaer, as religiously as I do my Kimber.

you might be surprised, my EDC is this Wilson b'tail, the only time it's not on my hip is when I'm not wearing trousers...
http://gallery.me.com/asiparks/100410/wilson/web.jpg
it's with me at work right now, will be tomorrow and the day after.... well, that would be Saturday, but you get my drift....

Hokie1911
02-03-2011, 14:22
IWC. :drool:

You have great taste in pistolas and timepieces my friend.

Hokie1911
02-03-2011, 14:26

Same here, Asiparks. I plan on having this on my hip anytime I walk out of my house when I pick it up next month.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac6/HokiePS7/8dde7836.jpg

GJ1981
02-03-2011, 14:35
I love the assumptions that expensive pistols never get carried or used.

I challenge those to post their holster wear from training, surely there is some.

:tongueout:

dnuggett
02-03-2011, 14:39
Kimber has no custom shop and they nearly charge custom shop prices.

Compared to whose custom shop? None I've ever seen. I'm not sticking up for Kimber, I'm not a fan- I'd just like to see what custom shop has models under $1000.

asiparks
02-03-2011, 14:52
IWC. :drool:

You have great taste in pistolas and timepieces my friend.

http://gallery.me.com/asiparks/100144/IMG_2077/web.jpg

thankyou Sir ! :supergrin:

Hokie1911
02-03-2011, 15:05

Holysh1t. :wow: :drool:

knedrgr
02-03-2011, 15:34
Compared to whose custom shop? None I've ever seen. I'm not sticking up for Kimber, I'm not a fan- I'd just like to see what custom shop has models under $1000.

I don't think you see the point of contention here...Kimber DOESN'T have a "Custom Shop." Therefore, it's some what false to brand some of their 1911, "Custom," when there's NOTHING custom about it...it's straight up production.

While Springfield does truly have a "Custom Shop," So it's completely legit to have their pistols branded "Custom" because it came from their Custom Shop.

Jack Black
02-03-2011, 16:12

Wow! That's more impressive than any 1911 pics I've seen here.

PrecisionRifleman
02-03-2011, 21:23
Same here, Asiparks. I plan on having this on my hip anytime I walk out of my house when I pick it up next month.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac6/HokiePS7/8dde7836.jpg

Now thats one fine looking 1911!!!!!

Z28ricer
02-04-2011, 23:39
you might be surprised, my EDC is this Wilson b'tail, the only time it's not on my hip is when I'm not wearing trousers...
it's with me at work right now, will be tomorrow and the day after.... well, that would be Saturday, but you get my drift....

The reference really required doing stuff I mentioned, if you carried the pistol you posted a pic of like I do mine, it wouldnt look like that.

Carrying one repetitively to go grocery shopping, is a little different than crawling around under cars, sliding on asphalt to see whats up underneath, upside downing yourself on a cars rollcage to peek at the wiring under the dash etc.

I didnt say people dont carry them consistently, just that it wouldnt be a good idea to do the type of work some people do, constantly, with some $3000 custom gun.

Just like LandRover posts all sorts of pictures of their vehicles doing all sorts of offroading, etc, yet a bunch of soccer moms drive them around, and the most offroading they see is going over a speedbump.

swinokur
02-06-2011, 06:50
I have a full size TLE/RL II with several thousand rounds through it. It's been perfect and eats whatever I give it.This includes WWB, Speer Lawman, 230g +p HST, and Gold Dots.

I have no issues with the weapon. The only holster wear I can see is slight wear at the muzzle on either side of the slide, but it's minimal.

My guns are tools, so even if it does wear, to me it's not a huge deal.

Based on my experience, I would buy another Kimber. I am looking for a 10mm Eclipse right now.

PrecisionRifleman
02-06-2011, 10:07
I have a full size TLE/RL II with several thousand rounds through it. It's been perfect and eats whatever I give it.This includes WWB, Speer Lawman, 230g +p HST, and Gold Dots.

I have no issues with the weapon. The only holster wear I can see is slight wear at the muzzle on either side of the slide, but it's minimal.

My guns are tools, so even if it does wear, to me it's not a huge deal.

Based on my experience, I would buy another Kimber. I am looking for a 10mm Eclipse right now.

I spoke with a few people who were carrying Kimber's at the range yesterday. Every person I spoke with loved their Kimber saying they never have had any malfunctions even after 1000's of rounds. Based on experiences from actual owners I am pretty convinced the Kimber is a solid 1911. There are some very nice custom 1911's made by other companies but Kimber seems to be the best offering in regards to reliability and *price* for most people. I think *most* people are not going to be willing to spend 2k-4k on a weapon for daily carry for fear of wear. That being said I sure do like custom offerings by other makers...just not comfortable making such a pricey weapon a carry piece and I'm not huge on safe queens. At this point I'm leaning toward the Kimber for the balance of economy and reliability.

Rinspeed
02-06-2011, 10:24
The older Kimbers are so much nicer I'm not sure I would even buy a new to tell you the truth.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Rinspeed/Kimber-7.jpg

PrecisionRifleman
02-06-2011, 10:54
The older Kimbers are so much nicer I'm not sure I would even buy a new to tell you the truth.

Very nice Kimber!! I'm have my eyes pretty set on the Dan Wesson VBOB in the black finish, but the price difference between it and the Kimber still has me on the fence.

dragbike
02-06-2011, 11:10

Very nice, I need to find a clackamas one I grew up there.

Hokie1911
02-06-2011, 12:35
Very nice Kimber!! I'm have my eyes pretty set on the Dan Wesson VBOB in the black finish, but the price difference between it and the Kimber still has me on the fence.

If you're serious about Duty Coat VBOB, spend $200 more and get a Kobra Carry or Special Forces Carry. Much better gun for the money. :thumbsup:

The VBOB is a sweet gun for $1,400. Not so much at $1,900.

asiparks
02-06-2011, 23:28
The reference really required doing stuff I mentioned, if you carried the pistol you posted a pic of like I do mine, it wouldnt look like that.

Carrying one repetitively to go grocery shopping, is a little different than crawling around under cars, sliding on asphalt to see whats up underneath, upside downing yourself on a cars rollcage to peek at the wiring under the dash etc.

I didnt say people dont carry them consistently, just that it wouldnt be a good idea to do the type of work some people do, constantly, with some $3000 custom gun.

Yes, but this one time I was carrying, and the guy at Starbucks gave me a single mocha frapaccino instead of a non fat toffee mocha frapaccino, so I had to, like go totally back to the store again, so that was like carrying twice in one day........

I bet there are owners of ferraris out there that have problems too, doesnt mean a vette wont keep you happy.

I'll be buying more Kimbers, for those pushing for $2000+ handguns, I'd love to see you carry your WC, or LesBaer, as religiously as I do my Kimber

is actually what you said, don't arse about.....

HEY OP !

whatcha going to get anyway ?

Z28ricer
02-06-2011, 23:51
is actually what you said, don't arse about.....

HEY OP !

whatcha going to get anyway ?

Cool sweet, what I typed didnt fully go into the types of things im doing when carrying my Kimber.

Good job pointing out the obvious, instead of comprehending the explanation.

So uh, like I said, you ready to check out some cars, maybe change out a clutch with your lesbaer or wc on your hip ?

asiparks
02-07-2011, 01:41
Do you drop your gun fairly regularly as you're working under cars ?
Is it somehow getting entangled in clutch cables ?
Every now and again, is it jumping out of it's holster and landing in your toolbox ?
Because unless you're you're using a very, very sad holster, the pragmatic BS detecting side of me is trying to imagine the extra wear it's getting in your holster that mine's missing, or the "Big Chance" that you're taking working on cars.

I have worked under/in/around my car wearing my pistol, a Novaks Hi Power at the time...Had all my interior out, replaced my brakes, my suspension, tranny pan blah blah blah, but most of the time, i'd put it on the seat or my toolbox lid, not because i was worried about "wear" but just because it was the comfortable thing to do.

anyway, sorry for the thread crapping OP, whatcha get ?

Z28ricer
02-07-2011, 06:44
Do you drop your gun fairly regularly as you're working under cars ?
Is it somehow getting entangled in clutch cables ?
Every now and again, is it jumping out of it's holster and landing in your toolbox ?
Because unless you're you're using a very, very sad holster, the pragmatic BS detecting side of me is trying to imagine the extra wear it's getting in your holster that mine's missing, or the "Big Chance" that you're taking working on cars.

I have worked under/in/around my car wearing my pistol, a Novaks Hi Power at the time...Had all my interior out, replaced my brakes, my suspension, tranny pan blah blah blah, but most of the time, i'd put it on the seat or my toolbox lid, not because i was worried about "wear" but just because it was the comfortable thing to do.

anyway, sorry for the thread crapping OP, whatcha get ?

Whats a clutch cable ? :rofl:

Does that go along with a "carburetor"

Yes sometimes its convenient to remove your weapon, however i've had to deal with working on cars competing in events, where it sometimes isnt gonna work for me to just relocate it, put it somewhere safe. Time may not allow, or sometimes just cant reasonably do it for other reasons. Its had its fair share of scrapes on asphalt as I rolled over on it, or slid under a car and my shirt moved a bit exposing it.

Junkyards searching out a part sometimes ? Hey they like to use rocks for flooring, cant just place your pistol up on the cowl of the car at the junkyard and go unbolting a differential now can you ?

Like I said before, having high end guns that carefully fitted, sweet, however the difference between a full race motor blueprinted to that last .00001" or the perfectly matched to .001% valvespring seat pressure on every cylinder might be nice, but plenty of production engines get people down the road every day reliably.

Dont claim everyone needs a ferrari, or porsche, to get to the grocery store :upeyes:

Hokie1911
02-07-2011, 06:48
:popcorn:

knedrgr
02-07-2011, 08:34
Like I said before, having high end guns that carefully fitted, sweet, however the difference between a full race motor blueprinted to that last .00001" or the perfectly matched to .001% valvespring seat pressure on every cylinder might be nice, but plenty of production engines get people down the road every day reliably.

Dont claim everyone needs a ferrari, or porsche, to get to the grocery store :upeyes:

This is just a bunch of HATER-AID...

If one has the money for a Ferrari, Porsche or any other "high-end exotic" cars and want to buy one, good for them. There's nothing wrong with driving that car as a daily driver. I know guys who drives their Nissan GTR's in the snow as daily drivers. To them, it's just another car (crazy fast car). I'm sure a Hyundai Genesis 2.0T would be a fine daily. But if they can afford to drive the GTR as a daily, more power to them.

Z28ricer
02-07-2011, 09:31
This is just a bunch of HATER-AID...

If one has the money for a Ferrari, Porsche or any other "high-end exotic" cars and want to buy one, good for them. There's nothing wrong with driving that car as a daily driver. I know guys who drives their Nissan GTR's in the snow as daily drivers. To them, it's just another car (crazy fast car). I'm sure a Hyundai Genesis 2.0T would be a fine daily. But if they can afford to drive the GTR as a daily, more power to them.

Reading comprehension isnt good with you is it ?

There is a difference between saying dont buy one, they suck, and wont do the job, and saying "hey, theres something available thats pretty awesome"

You also wouldnt want to choose a nissan GTR if you're going offroading every weekend through a bunch of forest, might damage the car a bit huh ?

oh and GTR's are slow :)

asiparks
02-07-2011, 10:56
Whats a clutch cable ? :rofl:

mine specifically (http://www.americanmuscle.com/stadclca96.html)

some more: (http://www.bestcarsguide.com/automobile-clutch-cable-removal/)

sorry, what is you do again... ?

Does that go along with a "carburetor"

blah skippy blah....

Don't think I did...nope, checked...
You said you'd like to know who carried a high end gun as religiously as you carry your Kimber. I answered. I apologize for not sufficiently rolling around on the ground , but as you're making this all about your rugged motorsporting life, i cannot possibly compete..You win Sir, well played............

Z28ricer
02-07-2011, 11:07
Don't think I did...nope, checked...
You said you'd like to know who carried a high end gun as religiously as you carry your Kimber. I answered. I apologize for not sufficiently rolling around on the ground , but as you're making this all about your rugged motorsporting life, i cannot possibly compete..You win Sir, well played............

No, i'm making this about choosing the right tool for the job.

You're making this about people must buy an expensive custom built, high priced pistol for EDC, completely ignoring the fact that regular production pistols will get the job done just fine.

asiparks
02-07-2011, 11:12
No, i'm making this about choosing the right tool for the job.

You're making this about people must buy an expensive custom built, high priced pistol for EDC, completely ignoring the fact that regular production pistols will get the job done just fine.

nope. never said that, never inferred that, didn't ever never do it. Not even close.
If I did, find it.....:popcorn:

Still don't believe in clutch cables...?

Holy sweet heck, has this gone off topic...apologies to the OP

Z28ricer
02-07-2011, 11:14
nope. never said that, never inferred that, didn't ever never do it. Not even close.
If I did, find it.....:popcorn:

Still don't believe in clutch cables...?

Clutch cables ?

It was a joke, thus the carb reference

As in they're a thing of the past, most things have hydraulic clutches now :tongueout:

asiparks
02-07-2011, 11:24
fixed (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16827092#post16827092)

knedrgr
02-07-2011, 18:34
Reading comprehension isnt good with you is it ?

There is a difference between saying dont buy one, they suck, and wont do the job, and saying "hey, theres something available thats pretty awesome"

You also wouldnt want to choose a nissan GTR if you're going offroading every weekend through a bunch of forest, might damage the car a bit huh ?

oh and GTR's are slow :)

Are you serious? :upeyes: I'm a completely stupid arse. But at least I can keep the comparisons on point. You can't keep a discussion and comparison on topic. Now you're referencing using a GTR for off-road use?! You keep changing the comparison perspective. Yeah that makes sense. :upeyes:

You haven't made a solid or valid point in any of your posts. the OP is just going to CCW the thing. It's not like he's an operator that will be banging it up. And if he is, he didn't mention it in any of his posts.

We were talking about comparing 1911's and then you reference carrying it and rolling around under or inside a car, fixing it. Who the h3ll cares about how the owner will carry their pistol. It's his/her money and they can buy whatever the h3ll they want, and decide how or where they want to carry it.

Most of the people are saying to save the money and 1) add a slight bit more and get a better fit/finish pistol, or 2) look for a used pistol that has a nicer fit/finish.

So if you're going to reference an analogy to cars, then it would be like this; Instead of spending $30K to buy a new Chevy Camaro, just save up a little more and get a used Corvette Z06. Both cars will do the job of getting you from A to B, and will be fun around corners. But the better engine and suspensions on a used Z06 will be worth the extra.

But then my reading comprehension isn't good with me... :whistling:

Hokie1911
02-08-2011, 14:08
Yeah, the GT-R is slooooooooooooow.

Look at the comparison chart on here that just came out. :wow:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1102_2012_nissan_gt_r_test/index.html

"...2012 Nissan GT-R to 60 mph in a blistering 2.9 seconds. The car that in 2007 changed a number of performance reference points is changing them once again.

For those unfamiliar with speed, the new GT-R achieves a kind of quickness expected from the automotive world's uppermost crust -- those with six-figure price tags attached or with ultra-limited production numbers. These include the $130,000-plus Porsche Turbo PDK (0-60 mph in 2.8 seconds) and multi-million dollar Bugatti Veyron (2.7 seconds). A Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4 SuperVeloce would be demolished in a straight line battle (3.2 seconds), as would a Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano (3.2 seconds), Corvette ZR1 (3.3 seconds), and Lexus LFA (3.8 seconds, without launch control)."

lawdog734
02-08-2011, 15:07
Why I carry a kimber and waste $800, why not get a highpoint then you are only out $150. And according to the guy at the gunshow they have a life time guarantee:tongueout:

PrecisionRifleman
02-17-2011, 23:26
Why I carry a kimber and waste $800, why not get a highpoint then you are only out $150. And according to the guy at the gunshow they have a life time guarantee:tongueout:

ROFL!!! :rofl:I decided to hold off on a nice 1911, and instead bought the RCBS Rock Chucker Master reloading kit along with about every thing I need to load 308win. I ended up spending right at or a little over 1k on the kit, RCBS casing polisher, dies, 3 different powders, Sierra Match Kings (168gr), and Speer 165gr SPBT's, 100 extra brass casings, primers, etc etc.

I was real close to buying the Kimber in the TLE Pro however I put the 1911 on the back burner. I appreciate all the information this community has provided me on 1911's. I absolutely have much more knowledge in regards to quality and brands than before I started this thread. When I actually break down and buy a nice 1911 it won't be a Kimber. Nothing wrong with them at all, and feedback from owners at the range I recently visited were outstanding as well. That being said I want want more of a custom 1911 than what Kimber offers and Les Baer among other makes fit that role more so.