Got a Mossberg 590A1... quick question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Got a Mossberg 590A1... quick question

akgunnut
02-01-2011, 23:49
Today I picked up a brand new Mossberg 590A1 shotgun with my tax return. This one has the 20" barrel, ghost ring sights, and bayonet lug. My one question is will any M7/M9 bayonet fit on this thing? I been looking at them online and it seems like the ones made by Ontario Knives is the one to go with. I know there's no real practical purpose in having a bayonet on a shotgun as a civilian, I just think it'd be fun to stab a watermelon and pull the trigger, plus it looks much more menacing with the bayonet! :supergrin:

WhiskeyUnicorn
02-02-2011, 06:44
No real practicality for a civilian and a bayonet...but why not?! :D I've always wanted to put one on my pump gun too! M7 is a cheaper and better built (IMHO) bayonet. The M7 should fit without mods, the m9 sometime requires filing of the lug. Go with the m7 and stick those melons! And post video!

mixflip
02-02-2011, 13:06
I love the 590 with its impractical bayonet!!! The mere fact that it pisses off people is so "American". As for it being practical for the average civilian? I think in todays state of world events that its actually more practical than ever before. If a political unrest related to hate for the government happens here in America like it is in Egypt, a shotgun with a bayonet might actually be a nice asset to have?

I am no tin-hat type but luck does favor the prepared and we live in strange and uncertain times right now. Just sayin'. +1 for the good old M7 bayonet!!!

MrMurphy
02-02-2011, 14:00
Both M7, M9 and new M10 bayonets should all fit.

tx787
02-02-2011, 15:26
Yeah anti-anarchist demonstrators would be much better equipped here than in Egypt, they have camels and whips, we have, well you know.

1 old 0311
02-02-2011, 15:40
VERY cool, but VERY useless= FUN!:wavey:

JokerOne
02-02-2011, 18:14
Research has shown that more people are intimidated by a bladed weapon than a gun. For Home defense if I have someone trying to attack me and a highly visible sharp bayonet on the end of a shotgun is enough to persuade them otherwise, then it’s a much better outcome than having to fill him full of holes.

ScrappyDoo
02-02-2011, 22:10
LOL, Practicality debate on a shotgun. Let the record reflect, Your Honor, my client was fully intent on observing and preserving all practicality rights and responsibilities hereto / hence when he pulled the trigger and kaboomed that bad guy.

LOL it's a boomstick, let alone a Blacktical Tactical Mossberg 590A1. Stab em, put your butt-stock across their jaw, swing with two hands and bash them like a Barry Bonds basetrotin homer into the water, and tehen kaboom them s'more!

Double tap their ass and then stab to make sure they're dead! Awww yeah American Badass, the Mossbergs!

JokerOne
02-02-2011, 22:37
LOL, Practicality debate on a shotgun. Let the record reflect, Your Honor, my client was fully intent on observing and preserving all practicality rights and responsibilities hereto / hence when he pulled the trigger and kaboomed that bad guy.

LOL it's a boomstick, let alone a Blacktical Tactical Mossberg 590A1. Stab em, put your butt-stock across their jaw, swing with two hands and bash them like a Barry Bonds basetrotin homer into the water, and tehen kaboom them s'more!

Double tap their ass and then stab to make sure they're dead! Awww yeah American Badass, the Mossbergs!

Actually you bring up a good point.

Depending on the state/area you live in, do you really want to have to go before a dozen tofu-licking half-wit jurors and defend your actions with a scary looking gun?

What did Patton say in the movie after he lost his command, about the soldier he slapped? "I wish I would have kissed the SOB." .

Big A
02-03-2011, 10:29
I submitt this 1 for your consideration as well....

http://www.lapolicegear.com/zero-tolerance-zt9-bayonet.html

They had them on closeout for $129, but are currently out of stock and I don't know if they'll get anymore... I was planing to get 1 this payday :crying:

But here is another place to get them although this 1 has a higjher price:
http://newgraham.com/store/product/7337/Zero-Tolerance-Bayonet/

I have order several knives from this website above with no hassles.

cowboy1964
02-03-2011, 13:32
In my home the last thing I want to have to consider, on top of everything else, is any thought of whether to use the bayonet, whether they see it and are imtimidated by it, etc.

ScrappyDoo
02-03-2011, 13:56
See Cowboy is properly correct.

In MOST parts of the USA (I know not all states) and certainly New Jersey where I live and I am intimately familiar with these types of laws having grown up a certain LEO's son and have furthermore had many many discussions about these things over breakfast lunch and dinners, (and also specifically discussing certain things to make sure I was right on GlockTalk once or twice, want to piss some people off tell General Glocking that Trenton Police Department gets free Glocks and then duck) --

You're only allowed to pull the trigger under one circumstance - you're intending to kill the person - and by extension of that you are only allowed to be shooting (Using Deadly Force) of an INCREDIBLY SPECIFIC set of reasons: To Save Life/Protect Life. In New Jersey it's more specific and harder than other states but it breaks down to something like: Are your lives (family) etc under direct danger of ending because of the "bad guy" ? I.e. is he threatening to kill you, your wife and or kids in the house? if not, than you can't shoot, it's that simple. THERE IS NO SHOOTING TO WOUND. You can't Wyatt Earp somebody to 'shoot the gun outta the hand' or 'hit em in the shoulder or leg to disable them' absolutely not. You shoot to kill, to preserve life. and the only reason you can shoot when live is not DIRECTLY in danger is basically, best example I can think of is , your daughters boyfriend or ex-husband et . has threatened to kill her etc. and as you're sleeping on the couch he breaks in the front door. Awakened, he sees you on the couch and gets spooked, you jump up. He, gun [or strangle cable/meat cleaver/etc.] in hand, see yous get up and decides he has to get to her immediately, and starts running for the stair case and to the stairs to get to her in the room upstairs. THEN, maybe and I mean maybe, are you allowed to shoot him at the top of the stair case as he turns to run down the hall to her room etc.

Having said all that, my point is this: IF you are in fact justified in using deadly force, according to your local/town/state/federal/etc. laws, then a bayonet , a laser, a tricked out digital camo pattern of Magpul and XTM panels or paint, a fully equipped AR-15 with all the coolest accessories, etc. should not and do not matter: you shoot. If you're NOT justified in using deadly force then the bayonett or the bullet type or the caliber or choice of firearm shoul;dn't and doesn't matter, you'll be tried and perhaps put in jail.

The reason I go into this is because I have read MANY MANY completely wrong opinions stated as facts across many websites but all over GlockTalk in the year and a month I have been a member and posting regularly. I tried to combat that at first but got into a lot of heated arguments. It was funny for me at first, then it was pissing me right off, then it got downright frustrating. To hear people tell me I don't know what I'm talking about I'm wrong this that the other thing. Things like "It's okay to shotgun them but not if you're using a semi-automatic shotgun, only a pump" or "AR-15's will clearly get the DA to try you as a murderer but not a handgun, especially a wheel gun" etc. and 'your best chance of surviving the REST of your life in a home defense shooting is using a .22LR, especially something like a 10/22- real reliable and good to shoot and deadly but innocent to the cops and attorneys".

If you're in a situation that you can legally defend life by taking another, nothing at all other than preserving life by firing the weapon in your hand is really of issue. And if you have reservations at all, maybe you probably uh shouldn't be shooting [or may need to rethink your reason or use of having "home defense" firearms]...

Hope that helps... And to original poster: Dude Bayonet it up bro! 590A1 is an AWESOME shotgun, BADASS and that bayonet is mad awesome. And like i said, if you're in a home defense situation where you need to preserve you and your families life cause they're in danger, bayonett him too for good measure! :)

JokerOne
02-03-2011, 15:56
scrappydo,

I believe you are 100% correct. My point is that if the sight of a bayonet keeps someone from attacking me (in my house, after they have broken in), then I'm quite happy to have a bayonet.

I think the best advise besides reading up on your owe state's laws is to google "intruder shot" and see how each case is handled, if charges are pressed, etc.

It may suprise some people.