930 SPX issue [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 930 SPX issue

Glocker 2311
02-02-2011, 00:47
need some help! I load the mag tube and hit the button to release a shell onto the feed ramp and when I cycle the bolt I sometimes have a failure to feed. Initially this was the only issue I had. I have also had problems with a failure to feed after firing 2 or 3 rounds. The gun has not been modified and has the Choate mag tube extension and ghost ring sights. The rounds were Win. Ranger 00 buck. I pulled the mag tube spring and follower to look into the mag tube for any debris and did not find any but found the mag tube spring to be somewhat " flimsy". How likely would replacing the mag tube spring and follower fix my problem?? Thanks for any help and/or suggestions.

mixflip
02-02-2011, 03:28
Without looking at your gun it sounds like a follower or spring issue? There could be a stray bur of metal somewhere too? I'd trouble shoot starting with the follower then the spring? Inspect them and anything they interface with, with a fine tooth comb.

Also make sure you clean the gun before you break it in. Sometimes the guns get packed with a little too much grease. Probably for shipping to states near the ocean???

Lastly, check your technique when shouldering and firing? I have seen shooters cause a FTF due to not shouldering the shotgun solidly. This is usually done by newbie semi-auto shotgunners because they fear the recoil? I am not insinuating you are a newbie,lol I am just throwing it out there as an FYI if you dont already know.

WhiskeyUnicorn
02-02-2011, 06:40
Clean the heck out of it and give it some good lubing. My mossy was dry when I got it and would cycle 2 or 3 and jam. Once I cleaned and lubed it she ran through boxes of shells with the quickness! Also, like mix said, shoulder the weapon and lean into it!

VZ1600
02-02-2011, 10:13
need some help! I load the mag tube and hit the button to release a shell onto the feed ramp and when I cycle the bolt I sometimes have a failure to feed.

So are you doing this with the bolt in the closed position with a fully loaded (7 rounds) mag tube?

F_G
02-02-2011, 10:43
Does the next round in the magazine tube not have any spring tension on it?

I had this issue (and a few others) with my 930SPX and I discovered the follower was getting hung up on the transition of the extended tube and tube afixed to the receiver. I took a fine file and chamfered the edges of the follower and a fine rat tail file and chamfered the edge of the receiver tube and extension tube. I have had no further feeding issues.

m24shooter
02-02-2011, 12:38
First-why are you hitting the bolt release before you cycle the bolt? There is absolutely no reason to do that and you may actually induce a stoppage if you do that.
Second-what exactly is the failure to feed when you do this? That is kind of vague.
Third-exactly what kind of failure to feed are you having at the third and fourth round? Again you're kind of vague. Are multiple rounds coming out onto the lifter? Is one round coming out and then not making it into the chamber? Are no rounds coming out at all? Do the rounds in the mag tube slide back and forth when this happens?
Fourth-the mag tube springs on the 930 SPX as with all Mossberg springs are crap. The follower isn't great, but it is serviceable. Replacing the spring may solve the issue but it may not.

mdfd
02-02-2011, 18:13
......Fourth-the mag tube springs on the 930 SPX as with all Mossberg springs are crap. The follower isn't great, but it is serviceable. ....

so is there a popular upgrade for the oem follower and spring? Any links?

FWIW, My oem spring on my 590 gave me feeding issues after some light use and I replaced it with a Wolf spring. No issues since...

m24shooter
02-02-2011, 19:02
Man there are a ton of followers. Vang, Brownell's, SGT, S&J, Nordic, AimPro.
As for springs Wolff is among the best. If you're using that already stay with it.
ETA: I would post some links but I'm on my phone.

mdfd
02-02-2011, 19:20
Man there are a ton of followers. Vang, Brownell's, SGT, S&J, Nordic, AimPro.
As for springs Wolff is among the best. If you're using that already stay with it.
ETA: I would post some links but I'm on my phone.

thanks -I realize there are many different brands of followers, I was just wondering if there were any that folks felt were tried and true on the 930 SPX in particular over and above the rest?

BTW, I will be placing my order for a 930 SPX standard stock within the next few days. I will also be ordering the Choate PG separately and installing myself. It should be cheaper and definitely more available than waiting around for the PG version from Mossberg...so pls stay tuned and I appreciate the insight, I'm sure I'll have more questions lol...