Guiderod laser for G36 not too accurate? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Guiderod laser for G36 not too accurate?

T-rock
02-02-2011, 08:53
Hi, I read the forums quite often but just got around to making an account. Anyhow I just got my first glock, a 36, to be used as my ccw. It came with a lasermax guiderod laser but I'm not sure if I like it.

It seems to vary it's POA almost everytime the slide is racked, often 1-2" off at about 5 yards. Further than that and it's way off. Is this normal?

Also on a side note, the laser itself is big and "fuzzy", not a precise dot. Did I get a bad one? Thanks

MrV
02-02-2011, 09:11
Pitch the lasermax IMO. You cannot make the minute adjustments required for pin point accuracy. If I were you, I would try to trade/sell it for the crimson trace laser guard. I love mine, and after 50 rounds of range time that thing was a guided hole punch. I had a lasermax on my g19 and was disappointed...just my opinion.

MarccraM
02-02-2011, 09:15
Also on a side note, the laser itself is big and "fuzzy", not a precise dot. Did I get a bad one? Thanks

With lasers (lasermax included) this is usually an indication that the laser itself is DIRTY. Try to clean it off with a qtip or something and that should solve the problem.

Pitch the lasermax IMO. You cannot make the minute adjustments required for pin point accuracy. If I were you, I would try to trade/sell it for the crimson trace laser guard. I love mine, and after 50 rounds of range time that thing was a guided hole punch. I had a lasermax on my g19 and was disappointed...just my opinion.

I must agree with this as well... Lasers like most things are a personal preference issue. I had a lasermax guide rod laser and I was very unhappy with it. I much prefer crimson trace products but again, this is opinion talking.

woodrowNC
02-02-2011, 09:16
Hi, I read the forums quite often but just got around to making an account. Anyhow I just got my first glock, a 36, to be used as my ccw. It came with a lasermax guiderod laser but I'm not sure if I like it.

It seems to vary it's POA almost everytime the slide is racked, often 1-2" off at about 5 yards. Further than that and it's way off. Is this normal?

i've never understood how a laser in the guide rod channel could repeat anyway. it varies it's poa everytime because it can't repeat. you can't adjust that. i can understand on the grip frame. i'm not big on lasers anyway unless it's a j frame. call lasermax and he'll tell you what YOU'RE doing wrong.

hooterman
02-02-2011, 10:04
Let some one slam your brains against a spring at 750 feet a second and see if you can still see straight!

T-rock
02-02-2011, 10:06
Thanks for the helpful replies~

I much prefer Crimson Trace as well, and was disappointed to learn that they did not make grips for the 36. The trigger guard (I believe) would force me to get a new holster, not something I really want to do. I may look into it though.

KarlThomas
02-02-2011, 10:11
The whole concept of putting a laser on a guide rod just seems like a terrible idea. If it's sighted in when it's seated in the crescent shape of the barrel, it is never going to be accurate after the first shot. If it's sighted in out of the crescent, then it's never going to be accurate on the first shot and is still going to be moving around out of the crescent some anyways. It's a horribly flawed design.

hooterman
02-02-2011, 10:14

I much prefer Crimson Trace as well, and was disappointed to learn that they did not make grips for the 36. The trigger guard (I believe) would force me to get a new holster, not something I really want to do. I may look into it though.

Well look at this way, you won't need to buy batteries to be able to shoot your Glock....:whistling:

bac1023
02-02-2011, 10:16
I don't care for any lasers, to be honest.

GRT45
02-02-2011, 10:52
Although I appreciate the usefulness of a pistol-mounted laser, I've never been comfortable with the design concept of the LaserMax internal Guide Rod Laser for many of the reasons mentioned above. However, some people swear by them. The coup de grâce that ended any further consideration from me was the LaserMax slide lock switch necessarily replacing a Match Grade Slide Lock (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851754) (MGSL) from T. R. Graham. I'm not willing to give up the MGSL when other options for a laser are available.

T-rock
02-02-2011, 11:18
I don't care for any lasers, to be honest.

Thanks bro?

Hydra-SHOKz
02-02-2011, 12:01
I have one in my G19 and it works great. At first it was shooting 2 inches to the left. I sent the laser and a 5 shot group on a target back to Lasermax. They zeroed it in or whatever they do and returned it to me free of charge. Now it's right on the money at 30'.

The dot will get fuzzy after shooting it a while. I just clean the end with my t-shirt or whatever on the range. At home a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol cleans it up real good.

I don't use the laser for pin-point accuracy. I have Hienie sights for that. I use the laser to dump rounds into a man sized target quickly without a sight picture.

MarccraM
02-02-2011, 12:39

Just an FYI.. (You may know this already) but Crossbreed makes holsters with the option to accomodate the ct laserguard. I have 3 of them that do and they work really well...

MrV
02-02-2011, 13:53
My 36 with the CT fits great in my cheapo blackhawk, inside the pants, single clip holster. It was 15 bucks at basspro.

I personally LOVE lasers, aside from being completely bad ass, they give way to several practical advantages. The ability to keep your eyes totally fixed on target, shooting from cover while minimally exposing your body, and rapid target acquisition are just a few major selling points. In addition, they're also a great training tool and make dialing in your hard-sights a breeze.

Some old school shooters shake their head at laser sighting systems...but hey, it's their choice and I'm all for individuality. But if you really want a LS on your g36, the CT laserguard is the ticket.

Just my opinions.

The Judge
02-02-2011, 14:29
I had a CT on my Kimber Ultra Carry II and loved the laser.(not the gun)
I wanted to purchase one for my G36 BUT the crimson trace(LG-629) does not have a master switch like on the models for 1911.
Because I like to practice with and without the laser and you can't turn it off. I would need to remove/put back up the grip all the time. So I didn't buy it

RayB
02-03-2011, 04:08
I put LaserMax guide rod lasers in two of our Glocks in 2005 and 2006 respectively...

The LaserMax guide rod lasers in our G19 and G21 have proved to be accurate, durable, and dependable, over thousands of rounds on each weapon, using all manner of ammo, including +p.

Both lasers were accurate, right out of the box...

The LaserMax in my G21 occasionally turns itself on during firing. But it never fails to activate... This is NBD to me, since I seldom practice with the laser any more. Marksmanship's where the fun's at, so I usually pop in the OEM guide rod for range practice.

The LaserMax in my wife's G19 has been flawless.

If your trigger control is good, you can center-core targets all day long with either gun at thirty feet, without sighting down the slide. You can do this with boring regularity. :yawn:

The LaserMax units are plenty accurate for self-defense purposes, and were never intended for precision sniping. In fact, "pinpoint accuracy" is a bit of a fallacy, since parallax comes into play as target ranges vary from the shooter. Think about it. :headscratch:

The benefits and advantages of laser designators are so well established by now, that I ignore further debate on that issue... :whistling:

Crimson Trace is a great product, but I don't like their solutions for Glocks. I don't like the way their grips affect the gun's feel, and I don't like the way the Laser Guard precludes the use of a weapon light on a rail-equipped gun. I like the CT grips just fine on 1911s and revolvers. For all the free press they get, I’d like to see Crimson Trace advertise here, on GT. :eyebrow:

Our experience with the LaserMax guide rod lasers has been very good! :thumbsup:

I also have a LaserMax Uni-Green, rail-mounted laser that I like very much! This design allows use with many popular weapon-mounted lights! :supergrin:

--Ray

8541/9999
02-03-2011, 08:34
I read the forums quite often but just got around to making an account. Anyhow I just got my first glock, a 36, to be used as my ccw. It came with a lasermax guiderod laser but I'm not sure if I like it.

T-Rock Who installed the laser? As lasermax is an after market product and does not normally ship in the pistol.

The fuzzy dot is wrong sounds like it is out of focus. You need to call Bob or James at 1800 laser-03 ext 113

The guide rod does not sit on the cressent of the barrel lug when the pistol is in operation that is for instal only once the slide is joined to the frame the LaserMax guide rod rests against the slide lock in the frame of the pistol so it has no where to go. it also is locked up in the front by the slide guide rod hole. We fire 10s of thousands of rounds of ammo every year to make sure slignment is right for paticular pistols. Sounds like somthing is not right with your unit.
Did you buy it used?

Jerry36
02-03-2011, 16:27
Given the issues associated with the G36, it would be the last gun I would put a guiderod laser on.

RayB
02-03-2011, 18:59
Hopefully, the new LaserMax guide rod laser is installed in an empty, unloaded gun…. When the slide is cycled to load a round, the LaserMax guide rod laser is seated in its targeting position. Every time the slide cycles forward, the LaserMax guide rod laser is seated in its targeting position. The laser does not operate when the slide is locked open.

The LaserMax design has the slide lock double as the ambidextrous laser activation switch (pretty slick if you ask me!), which is why you must replace the OEM, or even your “match grade” aftermarket slide lock, if you want to turn the laser on and off.

The LaserMax slide lock activation switch is much easier to operate with the slide cycled, and the trigger(s) forward, ready to fire.

Parallax is not a big issue with the LaserMax guide rod lasers, since they sit so close to the gun’s bore axis. The offset, or difference between the POA/POI, is nominal, and close enough to chew the centers out of targets all day long. They are certainly accurate enough for self-defense applications.

When a laser is mounted further from the gun’s bore axis, parallax becomes more of an issue, and the shooter can adjust the laser’s POA to intersect the bullet’s POI at a predetermined distance. This intersection of the POA/POI is the sweet spot. When the shooter chooses to target inside or outside the sweet spot, the laser will be less accurate.

--Ray

mstennes
02-03-2011, 20:41
I had one and hated that it pulsated, whats the reason with that?

RayB
02-04-2011, 06:46
I had one and hated that it pulsated, whats the reason with that?

Studies show that the pulsating "dot" is picked up far faster than a steady dot by the human eye-brain, especially in a complex background. The pulsing dot is also more intimidating to the perp, than a steady dot is. This is why emergency vehicle and aircraft anti-collision lights pulse or flash. And in the case of the LaserMax, the pulsing lasers greatly extend the battery life! IMO, there's no downside.

--Ray

TSAX
02-04-2011, 08:31
Call LaserMax, I have dealt with them as a consumer and vendor in the past. They have a quick normally a few weeks on a bad unit and have great customer service. Been dealing with them since fall 03 and always been great service.