Per Glock, Glock Factory NS are not Tenifer coated [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Per Glock, Glock Factory NS are not Tenifer coated

timtx1
02-02-2011, 08:54
I was originally going to get Glock factory NS on my new Gen 4 Glock. However, there was some confusion and I got Trijicon instead. I paid something like $20 more for the Trijicons.

Clearly the place I got it from was confused because when I called back, one person said that the Glock NS were plastic, another person said they were metal and Tenifer coated. I never actually saw the Glock NS.

So, I called glock to ask them. Glock informed me that although the Glock factory NS are metal, they are not Tenifer coated. Perhaps they were at one point, I don't know. But, he assured me that they currently are not Tenifer coated.

So, my guess would be that the finish of the Glock factory NS is on par with the finish on the Trijicons I have. If the Glock were actually Tenifer, I might have preferred them more since I would assume the finish would be tougher then than the Trijicons. But, since they're the same, I guess the $20 isn't much more for what might be slightly better sights.

I just thought I'd pass this along since I still see people saying that the factory NS are Tenifer.

repolady
02-02-2011, 08:58
Tennifer is not the finish its a chemical that goes INSIDE the metal.

timtx1
02-02-2011, 09:40
Tennifer is not the finish its a chemical that goes INSIDE the metal.

Fair enough. Whenever I see it referenced it is stated as a Tenifer "Coating" or "Finish". Glock refers to it as a "surface treatment process" (http://www.glock.com/english/pistols_adv06.htm). And, the chemical apparently only penetrates the metal to a depth of about three microns. So, technically it's like a coating, but the metal itself changes in that layer.

So, if the finish wears away on a Glock factory NS, or a Trijicon, or whatever, then without another type of corrosion-resistant finish (Parkerizing, bluing, etc.) the Glock NS will corrode just like the others.

I suspect that if a bit of the finish was taken off a Glock factory NS, then it would be easy to see? Isn't Tenifer treated metal gray? So, if you lose the finish on the glock slide to expose the Tenifer treated metal beneath it would look gray, but one without the Tenifer treatment would be shiny silver?

I wonder if anyone has some old Glock factory NS where some of the finish came off and could confirm. Of course, they might have stopped the process of using Tenifer for the NS and maybe the old ones have it, so a new one with some finish missing would confirm, or deny better than an old factory NS.

But, in any case, the Tenifer process is not used in their night sights, per Glock. I'll believe them.