1911 maintenance schedule [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1911 maintenance schedule

u4ea
02-02-2011, 09:09
I know 1911s need some oiling and parts replaced here and there. Is there any link that has the suggested guidelines to follow? I change my oil in my car every 2,500 miles. Timing belt/water pump every 90k. Is there any guide out there that tells you how often you need to change springs, replace mags, oil the gun and things of that nature? How long can a 1911 sit on a nightstand without being fired before you should oil it again, to keep it running smooth. Thanks guys.

Quack
02-02-2011, 09:17
10-8performance.com has info.

ArmoryDoc
02-02-2011, 09:17
Change your springs every 15K and add oil before it gets dry.

u4ea
02-02-2011, 09:20
Change your springs every 15K and add oil before it gets dry.

15k is probably 2-3 years worth of shooting for me, and this is my only gun lol.

As for adding oil before it gets dry, I guess I am a bit of a noob here. I've only ever had Glocks, and this gun is so different from them I am a bit perplexed. I may take it to a gun smith and have him explain it to me and show me what's up. Once someone shows me how to do something once I can do it, but I am pretty bad at learning things without seeing them.

ArmoryDoc
02-02-2011, 09:24
As for the springs, if you aren't using high powered rounds you may be ok at 15k change interval. Some advocate changing much sooner but it really depends on gun function and other indicators.

If you pull your slide back and look into the rails you can tell if there's oil on 'em or not. If it doesn't look sufficiently wet, add a drop or two to each rail. I always recommend reading the owners manual first. There are lot's of good resources for 1911 maintenance online, similar to the one above.

woodrowNC
02-02-2011, 09:27
a long time ago '95 i think, i bought a " wilson combat 1911 auto maint. manual" by none other than bill wilson. all the info you need. and more. if it's still in print.

u4ea
02-02-2011, 09:27
10-8performance.com has info.

Thanks, I will check it out. You really love this 1911 stuff huh man? Seems like 50% of the replies in all these dumb threads I have made are you giving me good advice. :wavey:

u4ea
02-02-2011, 09:28
As for the springs, if you aren't using high powered rounds you may be ok at 15k change interval. Some advocate changing much sooner but it really depends on gun function and other indicators.

If you pull your slide back and look into the rails you can tell if there's oil on 'em or not. If it doesn't look sufficiently wet, add a drop or two to each rail. I always recommend reading the owners manual first. There are lot's of good resources for 1911 maintenance online, similar to the one above.

The gun has 500 rounds thru it. I plan to buy a few boxes of self defense ammo, and if the gun likes it I will buy 200 rounds of it and keep the gun on my night stand. I only plan to go to the range every month or so.

lawdog734
02-02-2011, 09:37
Thanks, I will check it out. You really love this 1911 stuff huh man? Seems like 50% of the replies in all these dumb threads I have made are you giving me good advice. :wavey:

The 1911 is very addictive

CAcop
02-02-2011, 10:05
Check out 10-8 perfomance.

As far as Colt was concerned at their armorer's course I went to they specified changing out the recoil spring at 3,000 rounds for the Govt. (5" barrel) and 300 rounds for the Defender. I can't remember off the top of my head the round count for the Commanders, I think it was somewhere around 1,200 rounds.

All the other springs probably won't need replacing on a very frequent interval. This is where I would probably defer to Hilton Yam over at 10-8. The other springs in the gun don't move nearly as much as the recoil spring so they don't get worn out as much. Mags are another story.

As far as lubing up the guns. I lube up my duty gun every two weeks. It is a trick I picked up at the Beretta armorer's course. They handed out magnets that the LA Sheriff hands out to their guys reminding them to lube up every payheck. I also shoot my .22 conversion pretty frequently and I lube it up when I shoot that thing too. I mostly focus on the barrel and rails. When I do a cleaning I will put a drop of oil on the barrel link, disconnector, and hammer near the sear. Basically what the Tacoma PD training manual states.

GJ1981
02-02-2011, 10:12
Change your springs every 15K

You must be living on the edge or have great luck. I've never seen a recoil spring last that long.

I replace my firing pin spring when I change RS, about 3000 or so. I'll usually replace my plunger spring yearly since it's a cheap part. The other springs are not a concern to me unless there is a problem.

Quack
02-02-2011, 12:22
http://10-8performance.com/Reliability_Round_Counts.html

quantico
02-02-2011, 12:47
I find my guns stay oiled until I shoot them and clean them . I have had some sit several years in the safe and the gun was ready to go

dnuggett
02-02-2011, 14:19
Check out 10-8 perfomance.

As far as Colt was concerned at their armorer's course I went to they specified changing out the recoil spring at 3,000 rounds for the Govt. (5" barrel) and 300 rounds for the Defender.

Are you sure that it is 300 rounds for the Defender? I am contemplating getting one, but if they are saying change the spring every 300 rounds, that won't even get me through some range sessions. That's just ridiculous.

u4ea
02-02-2011, 14:34
I checked out that site you linked to Quack, and it's impressive. I am a bit concerned that he says you need 1,000 rounds plus 200 or so HD ammo before the gun is considered reliable. I simply don't have the time or the funds to shoot that many rounds. I have 500 thru it, but that was ammo that my friend paid for.

One thing I am confused about is if the TRP is ready to shoot hollow points right out of the box, or if it needs tweaking. The guy mentioned something about the feed ramp needing work in some guns, but didn't say anything about the TRP specifically. All in all, it's just the info I was looking for!

Quack
02-02-2011, 14:41
i personally do 1/2 of the ammo that he suggests.

i didn't need to do any work on my TRP to shoot hollow points, though knedrgr needed to do some work on his mil-spec.

GJ1981
02-02-2011, 14:48
I am a bit concerned that he says you need 1,000 rounds plus 200 or so HD ammo before the gun is considered reliable.

Your pistol should be able to feed the ammo. I will tell you the above guideline is what some consider a minimum. I just sent a custom pistol back to SA since it failed to work reliably with HP ammo.

There are other issues beside feeding, mine would lock the slide prematurely. If you don't test you carry ammo you may end up finding the problem during the worst time.

I would find a way to make it happen.

CAcop
02-02-2011, 14:58
Are you sure that it is 300 rounds for the Defender? I am contemplating getting one, but if they are saying change the spring every 300 rounds, that won't even get me through some range sessions. That's just ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure it was 300 rounds. It seemed kind of low but I figured if I bought one it would be only used as a back up gun or off duty piece and I wouldn't be putting a lot of rounds through it so it made sense.

The spring is only a couple of bucks and the slide is coming back fast enough they want it to be fresh to reduce wear and tear on the gun. The instructor said you can go longer but at a few bucks why not? The Defender is meant to be a "carried a lot, shot a little" kind of gun anyway.

These days the cheapest .45 is $0.35 per round 300 rounds is $105.

Wolff sells replacement springs at $8.99.

So I suppose it is going to cost you with shipping for both ammo and gun probably $120 per spring change interval.

Contrast that to a Govt model at $1050 in ammo before you have to change a $7.89 spring for a total of around $1110 per spring change interval.

That's why I shoot my duty gun the most and only shoot my off duty compact model to qualify and to run a few mags through every few months.

dnuggett
02-02-2011, 15:39
I checked out that site you linked to Quack, and it's impressive. I am a bit concerned that he says you need 1,000 rounds plus 200 or so HD ammo before the gun is considered reliable. I simply don't have the time or the funds to shoot that many rounds. I have 500 thru it, but that was ammo that my friend paid for.

Then buy a different gun. A 1911 may not be for you if you don't have the scratch to ensure carry functionality. Personally I consider 500 rds the minimum, 1000 is even better. There are plenty of fantastic options in the revolver realm that don't require 500 rds to ensure functionality (imo). My rule of thumb is 300 rds before carry with a revolver and 500 for any semi.

dnuggett
02-02-2011, 15:43
I'm pretty sure it was 300 rounds. It seemed kind of low but I figured if I bought one it would be only used as a back up gun or off duty piece and I wouldn't be putting a lot of rounds through it so it made sense.

Yeah that doesn't work for me. I put rounds through any gun I carry, period. I may be back to the drawing board on a 3" 1911 for summer carry then.

Do you have a link to or can you point me to where I can get the materials for the Colt course?

CAcop
02-02-2011, 16:16
Yeah that doesn't work for me. I put rounds through any gun I carry, period. I may be back to the drawing board on a 3" 1911 for summer carry then.

Do you have a link to or can you point me to where I can get the materials for the Colt course?

Google search "colt armorer's manual model o" That should get you at least part of the materials we got in class. I'm trying to remember the other book(s). Mine are in my locker at work and therefore not really accessable.

Keep in mind all pistols are going to have a replacement schedule for the recoil spring. For example Sig is 5,000 rounds regardless of model. Glock gave a test to see if the spring needed replacement and I have heard they have a round count now.

They don't tell the general public this because of two things. One they don't want people freaking out saying "OMG this gun will fall apart after X number of rounds." And two they don't want people going to another manufacturer who has a replacement point in mind but won't say it. I am willing to bet they just want you to shoot it until something breaks and then send it back and they will replace the recoil spring.

They tell LE armorers this because we are trying to keep guns working and it parts start breaking beacause we aren't replacing recoil springs our management is going to get pissed and want to change manufacturers. They have us tell managment up from the cost of operating this gun is going to be $X every Y rounds. Then they look at it like getting the oil changed in the car.

For what it is worth I have a Springfield Comapct I have put at least 1,500 rounds through it. Maybe closer to 2,500 rounds. Based on the numbers given by Colt I suspect it is overdue for a spring replacement. I have not been racing to get it swaped out because I had already slowed down on firing that gun. And of course Springfield mentioned none of this in their manual. Now of course if this were to suddenly become my only gun I would then start swapping out recoil springs on a regular basis.