Suggestions for sights that are NOT night sights? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for sights that are NOT night sights?

Small Tony
02-03-2011, 09:49
I have a M&P9c and looking to get rid of the dove tails (I believe thats what they are called). This is 3rd time a white dot fell off.

I don't need night sights on this particular gun so any suggestions on quality sights I can put on the 9c? Thanks

RayB
02-03-2011, 11:15
Please see below...

RayB
02-03-2011, 11:21
1) I have a M&P9c and looking to get rid of the dove tails (I believe thats what they are called).

2) This is 3rd time a white dot fell off.

3) I don't need night sights on this particular gun so any suggestions on quality sights I can put on the 9c? Thanks

1) The term "Dovetail" refers to how the sights and the slide are machined to fit together. It does not tell us what style sights the guns wears.

On a Glock, the rear sight is dovetailed, while the front sight is not.

2) Please specify. Did the "White Dot" come off? Or did the sight come loose and fall off? If it's the latter, it's almost certainly because of a faulty installation. If the white dot actually came off, that's another matter...

3) There are many options for most popular guns out there...

Many sharp-eyed, young shooters, prefer simple, well designed, black iron sights.

Many prefer fiber optic, or a combination of a fiber optic front, and plain black rear sight...

My G17, a dedicated target gun, wears a Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight, with a DP fully adjustable, matte-black rear sight. They are hands-down the best target sights I have! :thumbsup:

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=SIGHTS+FRONT

--Ray

MrVvrroomm
02-03-2011, 15:08
I have a M&P9c and looking to get rid of the dove tails (I believe thats what they are called). This is 3rd time a white dot fell off.

I don't need night sights on this particular gun so any suggestions on quality sights I can put on the 9c? Thanks
There are a number of quality steel non-night sight manufacturers for the popular M&P, listing in no particular order:
Warren Tactical
Ameriglo
Dawson Precision
Heine

MrVvrroomm
02-03-2011, 15:11
2) Please specify. Did the "White Dot" come off? Or did the sight come loose and fall off? If it's the latter, it's almost certainly because of a faulty installation. If the white dot actually came off, that's another matter...

It's a relatively common affliction for the M&P oem front sight to lose it's painted dot. I'm pretty sure this is what the OP is describing.

I watched one pop off a buddy's M&P 9mm during a course of fire.

RayB
02-03-2011, 18:29
It's a relatively common affliction for the M&P oem front sight to lose it's painted dot. I'm pretty sure this is what the OP is describing.

I watched one pop off a buddy's M&P 9mm during a course of fire.

Ah! Thanks! :wavey:

Trijicons are nice enough (night) sights too, but care must be taken when cleaning, as their painted-on rings will also scrub off. :shocked:

AmeriGlo night sights use Trijicon lamps (which Trijicon imports), along with white PVC o-rings for sight markers, which are much more durable. :eyebrow:

I'd advise the OP to peruse AmeriGlo's website as well...

http://ameriglo.com/

...since they offer more than just night sights! ;)

There's also a code for GT members to get 20% off! :thumbsup:

--Ray

Small Tony
02-03-2011, 20:58
Seems most just offer completely black sights or black rear sights and front white front. Which is fine as I have that type set up on my Night Guard revolver. I can get on point quickly with that gun.

samuse
02-03-2011, 23:23
10-8:supergrin:

seaswol
02-05-2011, 20:54
After losing the white centers from the front sight of a 45ACP and an aftermarket Glock front sight I wasn't impressed. Filled the holes with "white out" correction fluid. Two years later they are still intact:cool:
Chris

RayB
02-06-2011, 06:07
Seems most just offer completely black sights or black rear sights and front white front. Which is fine as I have that type set up on my Night Guard revolver. I can get on point quickly with that gun.

Sometimes a thing is popular simply because it works well!

Black iron sights are still the fastest for those of us with healthy eyes and excellent visual acuity. Here's why...

Human eyes have two primary receptor cells--cones and rods.

The cones, working with the brain, perceive color.

The rods, working with the brain, discern contrast, shadow, and movement.

In the fear-threat mode, the human eye-brain sees contrast, shadow and movement, faster than anything else; this includes our peripheral vision.

In low light, the human eye-brain sees the contrast, shadow, and movement components of vision, first and best.

By faster, we're talking fractions of seconds. But when we're talking survival and serious competition, those fractions of seconds can make a difference!

But black iron sights are of little use in near darkness, and they’re not the best for those of us with less than perfect eyesight.

Bright sight markers stimulate the cones in the eyes, and make getting a sight picture easier for many people.

A bright white, or day-glo color front sight, in conjunction with an all-black rear sight, also stimulates the rods and cones in the eyes in such a way as to make targeting faster and easier.

Fiber optic sights stimulate the cone cells, and while they may be a bit slower than iron sights in ample light with a sharp-eyed shooter, they're a great overall solution for the rest of us.

Enter tritium night sights! The tritium-charged lamps stimulate the cones in the eyes and allow targeting in near total darkness. Combined with bright sight markers or even fiber optics, tritium night sights can make great all around sights too.

--Ray