Terralux LED upgrade for Streamlight Stinger [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Terralux LED upgrade for Streamlight Stinger

Kadetklapp
02-03-2011, 13:27
Anyone mess with these? I have a Streamlight Stinger I've had since 2003. It's been a good light and I don't want to replace it but there a couple of things that are just a PITA.

One is it SUCKS the batteries. I"m on my third replacement rechargeable. It just kicks their *** and for what it's worth, it's not all that bright. That brings me to the second thing- it seems to be getting dimmer and dimmer as life goes on. IDK, maybe I'm just comparing it to all the new lights out there. Anyway, there is a Terralux LED upgrade for around $40. I'm wondering if it's worth it and if it's reliable.

txleapd
02-03-2011, 19:49
One of the guys at work has done this, and it is freaking BRIGHT!!!! He told me that the battery last 3-5 times longer than before. I'm going to upgrade 2 of my stingers.

Sam Spade
02-03-2011, 22:41
My Christmas present to myself. It is bright. I am happy.

Don't know how long things last on a charge, because I pop it into the charger after every shift.

bigzebra
02-03-2011, 22:54
I purchased one from Battery Junction about a year and a half ago. I love the thing. My battery lasts at least two and a half hours on one charge.

However, the other day I took the head off to show some some of my coworkers what it looked like/how it worked. It seemed as though the plastic lens/cap for the LED came off and was in the head of the light. I contacted both Terralux and Battery Junction. Both stated the one year warranty had expired. Terralux did offer to fix it. I think I'll just try and super-glue the lens back to the circuit board. The failure does not appear to effect the function of the light though.

Terralux did say in their email that they would be coming out with a 300 lumen Stinger conversion in May. I will probably buy that one when its available.

I'll also add that I have the Stinger LED. I like it, but the rubber button keeps coming out and I've had to send it back three times now. The bulkiness is also a negative to me.

I REALLY like the size of my old Stinger. I'll hang on to it as long as I can.

sos4364
02-04-2011, 09:26
Great way to get a ton of performance out of an olds style light. It helps my battery life and it was great way to upgrade to a nice bright led light without shelling out $$$$for a whole new light. I have 2 of these and would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone. About 45guys in our unit did a group buy and never looked back as our dept requires the polystinger or Stinger
xt

x_out86
02-04-2011, 10:49
I'll also add that I have the Stinger LED. I like it, but the rubber button keeps coming out and I've had to send it back three times now. The bulkiness is also a negative to me.

Ok...So I'm not the only one to have that problem. Pisses me off when I pull it out to use it and have to MASH the button to get it to turn on since the switch cover has decided to pull out of the body.

Cochese
02-04-2011, 11:15
That conversion is sweet!

Kadetklapp
02-04-2011, 11:20
Awesome! Uniform allowances are next week (was supposed to be this week but payroll got screwed up) so I'll plan on ordering one. I wonder if there is anything out there for my old Kel-light.

Sharkey
02-04-2011, 13:14
Perfect timing. I was browsing battery junction last night thinking of ordering one. Iced in so I guess I will do it now. Also gonna order the lil' terralux AAA key chain light. $6 for 50 lumen on a keychain sounds pretty good too.

Chico Bill
02-04-2011, 18:50
Terralux also has a newer, improved, replacement module for the SL20X...It uses a Cree MC-E quad-die emitter with a stated 600 lumens. I compared it with another MC-E light and it had every bit the brightness. I purchased the multi-mode version and it works very well...The only drawback I've noticed is a noticeable "whine" in low-mode when the battery isn't fully charged.

imaguy3
02-04-2011, 19:20
So I did a search and for some reason my thread on this is no longer here... Anyway I did a thread on this upgrade a cple yrs. ago when I got it... to sum it up it's worth it for the light output and battery life, however I had issues with my first upgrade (right when they came out) withstanding accidental drops on cement.

They replaced it with a newer version and that one was better built, however I haven't dropped it as much so I can't comment on the ruggedness... since then I've gotten the new stinger led d/s and it's way better imho than the upgrade!

Kadetklapp
02-04-2011, 20:02
So I did a search and for some reason my thread on this is no longer here... Anyway I did a thread on this upgrade a cple yrs. ago when I got it... to sum it up it's worth it for the light output and battery life, however I had issues with my first upgrade (right when they came out) withstanding accidental drops on cement.

They replaced it with a newer version and that one was better built, however I haven't dropped it as much so I can't comment on the ruggedness... since then I've gotten the new stinger led d/s and it's way better imho than the upgrade!

I did a search on Terralux and didn't find anything so I posted here.

I'd rather not replace my old light as I'm sort of attached to it.

I found Terralux makes a retrofit for C and D Maglites. Does anyone have any idea if in theory, it would work on my old ISP Kel Lite? I keep it in my bag as a backup but God it's awful dim....

msu_grad_121
02-04-2011, 20:23
This seems like a sweet upgrade, but I'm wondering if it has the "throw" that a tightly focused incandescent Stinger has? That's the only complaint I've had about any of the LED flashlights I've seen, they might be wicked bright, but can't get any useable light past 25 feet, ya know?

If someone can let me know (sorry to hijack the thread), I'd really appreciate it!

I'm drooling over the 300 lumen upgrade. How much longer does the battery last on a charge with these upgrades?

Rinspeed
02-04-2011, 22:48
They certainly get some good reviews, I've meant to get a couple for the Maglights just haven't gotten around to it. There are a couple dealers on E-bay that have very good prices.

imaguy3
02-04-2011, 23:32
This seems like a sweet upgrade, but I'm wondering if it has the "throw" that a tightly focused incandescent Stinger has? That's the only complaint I've had about any of the LED flashlights I've seen, they might be wicked bright, but can't get any useable light past 25 feet, ya know?

If someone can let me know (sorry to hijack the thread), I'd really appreciate it!

I'm drooling over the 300 lumen upgrade. How much longer does the battery last on a charge with these upgrades?

Maybe the old LED lights, but most of the newer quality lights I've used have no problem with throw. I have this light on my rifle.. make sure you read the throw distance.... It doesn't make it appear like daylight at 200yds however you can tell the light is there. At about 100 yrds. and in though it's great...

http://eagletac.com/flashlights/t100c2.html under "key features"

"ET26 Reflector T100C2 Mark II features ET26 optical reflector coated in smooth mirror finish for maximum throw performance and pleasing beam pattern. T100C2 Mark II is able to throw up to 200 yard with its precisely machined reflective curve. Up close, the side spill brightness lights up the surrounding extremely well for optimal night vision. The new CREE XP-E LED provides a smooth output beam with nice transition from the center beam to the side-spill light."

Any of the good manufacturers (surefire, fenix) will have different models that either throw or spill... it all depends on the reflector design and power of the LED. Check out http://candlepowerforums.com/ for anything and everything light...

The Terralux upgrade isn't really as "adjustable" as it sounds. However I found the beam on mine to be great... it's tight enough to throw as far as the incan. stinger, yet had plenty of spill and has no problem lighting up a room or car. The new Stinger LED's though have gobs of throw!

Bullman
02-05-2011, 00:55
When I run out of my current supply of Ultrastinger bulbs I am thinking of doing this. I recently bought the Stinger LED HP DS for a belt light, I hardly even use my Ultrastinger anymore, or my big thumper light a 3D Mag with a Malkoff LED mod. The little stinger is as bright as either of the big lights.

Spydermonkey
02-05-2011, 21:48
Does anyone have any idea if in theory, it would work on my old ISP Kel Lite? I keep it in my bag as a backup but God it's awful dim....

Take a look on ebay and check out what those Kel-Lites are going for. The flashaholics on candle power forums are paying a mint for them right now. They have become collectors items, take good care of that thing!

Kadetklapp
02-05-2011, 22:08
Take a look on ebay and check out what those Kel-Lites are going for. The flashaholics on candle power forums are paying a mint for them right now. They have become collectors items, take good care of that thing!

Mine are (I actually have two) probably 1970s models with the red button, and both are stamped "INDIANA STATE POLICE" and have a PE # stamped on the other side of the barrel. Not sure mine are old enough to be worth a whole lot though.

Bullman
02-05-2011, 22:33
Contact someone in the know on candlepowerforum.com I could start a thread over there if you are not a member and just ask if you are interested.

Kadetklapp
02-23-2011, 07:44
Got my "kit" for my Streamlight Stinger last night and I couldn't be happier with it. GREAT upgrade for the incan Stinger. It's SUPER bright and I'm hoping I can go longer on a charge.

michpatriot
02-24-2011, 22:21
Got my "kit" for my Streamlight Stinger last night and I couldn't be happier with it. GREAT upgrade for the incan Stinger. It's SUPER bright and I'm hoping I can go longer on a charge.
Well I ordered one and a couple new batteries last night...hope it turns my stinger into a welder:whistling:

Kadetklapp
02-25-2011, 07:44
Boy mine is just fantastic. There is a guy who I "rabbi" for who recently got issued a "Galls" LED flashlight. He was too cheap to buy a decent Streamlight or Surefire, but he thought his little galls whacker-light was great. I showed him my LED upgrade and now he's feeling like a moron.

Bullman
02-25-2011, 12:18
Nothing like a little gadget one upsmanship at work. Pretty soon you will have an LED light cold war at work, lol.

ryanm
02-25-2011, 16:16
I love the Terralux upgrade for mine. I've actually converted one of my PolyStingers (which they said it wouldn't work with). Just have to be careful not to twist the light assembly when putting on the outer retaining ring.

I've been meaning to get ones for the other stingers that I own.

michpatriot
02-25-2011, 23:52
I ve been searching on terralux reliability concerns and have found lots of threads on people who dropped their stinger only once and had the terralux conversion break.(one guy claims he dropped his on grass and it failed) anybody drop theirs yet and have it not break? Maybe these were early models? Hope they will take a reasonable amount of abuse...say getting dropped form waist high onto concrete or some such...maybe asking for too much we'll have to see how mine lasts before I sing its praises from on high.:whistling:

Kadetklapp
03-02-2011, 07:39
This is my concern also. I did accidentally drop mine the other day and it was fine. However I held my breath until I picked it up and turned it on. The electronics seem to be well-made.

robotoid
03-02-2011, 08:40
I had a Terralux upgrade for my Stinger and Maglite. It was fine for a while, but there are just sooo many better options out there now. You are better served to just buy a factory built LED light. The Terralux units have a strange beam shape and color. Now I'm using a LED Strion or factory LED Maglight.

Kadetklapp
03-02-2011, 09:21
I had a Terralux upgrade for my Stinger and Maglite. It was fine for a while, but there are just sooo many better options out there now. You are better served to just buy a factory built LED light. The Terralux units have a strange beam shape and color. Now I'm using a LED Strion or factory LED Maglight.

Is what it is I guess. I've been real pleased with the throw mine has and the color.

michpatriot
03-03-2011, 00:06
Recieved my Terralux conversion promptly in the mail, Tried it out the past couple of nights and I am really happy with the purchase. Its a lot brighter and has more throw than the stock stinger setup.:supergrin:

txleapd
07-24-2011, 20:12
Terralux also has a newer, improved, replacement module for the SL20X...It uses a Cree MC-E quad-die emitter with a stated 600 lumens. I compared it with another MC-E light and it had every bit the brightness. I purchased the multi-mode version and it works very well...The only drawback I've noticed is a noticeable "whine" in low-mode when the battery isn't fully charged.

The same guy I got the Terralux upgrades for my Stingers from told me that he got this same upgrade for his SL20.

He told me that it was freaking bright. He was clearing a house, and when he turned his light on it basically blinded everyone inside. He said that Terralux has an upgrade that is adjustable, and he ended up going with that.

He didn't say anything about hearing an whine sound.

I also got one of their LED upgrades for my Surefire M951 weapon light. I'm a big believer in Terralux.

michpatriot
07-24-2011, 20:21
Well its been a few months and my Terralux upgrade still makes me happy... Dropped it a few times and it still works beautiful, maybe they redesigned it from the first ones made I donno mine seems real shock proof and bright as when I first got it. Battery life is waaaay better than the stock bulb setup easily twice the burn time:wavey:

Sam Spade
07-24-2011, 20:55
I also got one of their LED upgrades for my Surefire M951 weapon light. I'm a big believer in Terralux.

Eh? Wassthatyousaid?

siblueg
07-25-2011, 08:36
I have one and love it

Kadetklapp
07-25-2011, 10:18
Mine is still working just fine. Very bright. Battery lasts ten times longer than with the stock setup. Dropped it several times on a hard surface and no issues.

3Speedyfish3
07-25-2011, 10:35
A little late, but I reviewed this product in March:

http://www.bluesheepdog.com/2011/03/07/terralux-led-review/

I still have a TerraLux on each of my Stingers. No problems. Great improvement, along with a Bust a Cap window breaker:

http://www.bluesheepdog.com/2011/06/20/bust-a-cap-review/

Randall

michpatriot
07-28-2011, 11:12
Today my terralux stinger led popped off the little circuit board in the cap and it no longer works...was sweet while it lasted...but glad it happened in the driveway and not when I really needed it...Guess they dont like falling from head height onto concrete...I just put a STRION bulb in it and it seems really bright compared to the Stinger bulb we'll see how long this bulb burns for.

old_pigpen
07-28-2011, 17:48
I broke down and ordered one this week. I haven't dropped my Stinger in a while, so you know what that means? I'll install the upgrade and then drop it :faint:

Kadetklapp
07-29-2011, 09:51
Today my terralux stinger led popped off the little circuit board in the cap and it no longer works...was sweet while it lasted...but glad it happened in the driveway and not when I really needed it...Guess they dont like falling from head height onto concrete...I just put a STRION bulb in it and it seems really bright compared to the Stinger bulb we'll see how long this bulb burns for.

Give them a call and see if they will make it right.

Bullman
07-29-2011, 13:06
that is one nice thing about the Malkoff Devices upgrade I have in my Maglight, he stands behind his stuff 110 percent.

txleapd
07-29-2011, 19:11
Eh? Wassthatyousaid?

Terralux has a replacement for the Surefire P60 lamp, and it is easily 10 times brighter and lasts 4-5 times longer. It's advertised at 460 lumens, but It's even brighter.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/p60-dropin.html

I wasn't too impressed with the output from my Surefire weapon light, so I dropped one in to my M951, and never looked back. The upgrade is about $30.

I had looked all over for an LED upgrade, and I kept coming across people who wanted to sell me 300 lumen replacement heads for $200+... I even asked one company if the before mentioned replacement head would work, and was told it didn't. They then tried to steer me toward their over-priced & over-sized replacement.

My buddy grabbed one of Terralux drop ins, took off the outer spring, and had my light going in under a minute. It's brighter than any of those $200-$300 rip offs, and still the same size as I bought it.

The Terralux is a much cheaper and much brighter than Surefire's P60 (or their 'upgraded' P61) lamp. It's also robust, and almost impossible to bust. It kinda pisses me off that Surefire charges so much for their lights, and then I still have to upgrade it to get a good LED.

old_pigpen
07-30-2011, 14:40
I broke down and ordered one this week. I haven't dropped my Stinger in a while, so you know what that means? I'll install the upgrade and then drop it :faint:

My Terralux Stinger upgrade came in today. I put it in and, wow, it is brighter. Much brighter than the Stinger bulb. Yes, I did accidentally shine it in my eyes, and no, I haven't dropped it yet.:supergrin:

Kadetklapp
05-10-2012, 20:02
Mine bit the dust I'm afraid-
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh192/kadetklapp/IMAG0950.jpg

The little lens popped off the board. I'm hoping they make it right but I'm not counting on it.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

old_pigpen
05-24-2012, 20:22
Just a follow up - i've had my Terralux upgrade for almost a year now. Its still working fine and still plenty bright. Its not a 300 hundred yard-type light thrower, but it does light up the area around you.

I've dropped my Terralux upgraded Stinger three times since I got it. I've held my breath each time I pushed the switch after each drop, but it has lit up every time. I do use the rubber doughnut that came with it, so maybe that helps?

Kadetklapp
05-29-2012, 18:58
Terralux customer service is top notch. I emailed them and they agreed to replace it after they received the broken unit. Got new one in the mail today and its working great. That's good service.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

txleapd
05-29-2012, 19:08
NM... I responded to a post that I had already responded to.

SPG
05-31-2012, 20:24
Has anyone tried the upgrade for the Magcharger?

txleapd
06-01-2012, 19:45
I'm not familiar with that.

imaguy3
06-01-2012, 21:16
Has anyone tried the upgrade for the Magcharger?

I haven't, tried talking a coworker into using his but he doesn't want to drop the cash on the expensive 1000 lumen upgrade... I imagine the quality will be the same as their other products though, seeing as it's still offered and been out for several years

I'm not familiar with that.

They have a couple conversions as well an upgraded battery. All on sale too! http://www.batteryjunction.com/mare.html