Supporting your Parent's Computers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Supporting your Parent's Computers

gemeinschaft
02-03-2011, 17:37
I wanted to share two tools that I have used to help my mom in the past couple of years. Let's just say that my 11 y/o son is a lot more computer savvy than my mother, so when she has needed help I remote into her system and repeatedly attempt to help train her how to use basic functions like posting pictures to the web, etc...

One tool that I have used is LogMeIn. The downside is that you have to install the application and it runs in the background. Of course in my mom's case, it is best that it is in the background because asking her to do anything outside of open her e-mail or performing a web search can take forever.

The other tool that I like is called TeamViewer. If you download it and then chooe to just run it instead of install, you can establish a one time remote session for either remote desktop or FTP. This has been handdy when assisting others who don't have an easier way to allow me access.

So what do you use when you end up providing Tech Support to friends and family?

Ogreon
02-03-2011, 20:05
I used to use Whine or Gripe. Now I resort to CurseMaster 5000.

UtahIrishman
02-03-2011, 20:39
I tell 'em to add two sticks of RAM and call me in the morning.

IndyGunFreak
02-03-2011, 20:41
Teamviewer for the win.

Even has a Linux version.

IGF

Gun Shark
02-03-2011, 20:41
I use logmein also... just upgraded to pro. the difference between the free version is night and day. I love it.

gemeinschaft
02-03-2011, 20:45
I tell 'em to add two sticks of RAM and call me in the morning.

If I said that to my mom, she would pull out the Yellow pages and start calling specialty meat shops around town asking if they sold "Sticks of Ram" :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

She would end up with something like this...

http://www.borispalatnik.com/WalkingStickSwordCane106Sa.jpg

Sometimes.....No, I take that back; USUALLY it is just less frustrating to remote in and do it.

Pierre!
02-04-2011, 06:59
I am digging TeamViewer, but...

Mom's getting a good case of Senior CRS - (Can't Remember Stuff)

Getting her to read me something from the computer screen... I could drive over and do it faster... (LOL)

So it's LogMeIn for now, but I will be looking at a registered version of TeamViewer soon for my business.... so that should standardize things for me!

Got to learn the 'no remote user login' method of TeamViewer... Then I'll switch for sure!

Linux3
02-04-2011, 12:06
I put an icon on my Mother's desktop that runs a script 'Ask My Son'.

This script just emails me the IP address of her system.

I then ssh into her system using my account on it and try to figure out where she is having problems.

I will run VNC if I really, really have to but command line is so much more efficient.

I do all the updating and cleanups.

HerrGlock
02-04-2011, 12:12
One of my favorite reasons to maintain *NIX almost exclusively is I cannot answer a whole lot of end user questions about WIN. I'm okay with the networking stuff but I'm not terribly sure I've ever even seen Xcel run and I know I've not run it. :)

Drjones
02-04-2011, 16:12
I am digging TeamViewer, but...

Mom's getting a good case of Senior CRS - (Can't Remember Stuff)

Getting her to read me something from the computer screen... I could drive over and do it faster... (LOL)

So it's LogMeIn for now, but I will be looking at a registered version of TeamViewer soon for my business.... so that should standardize things for me!

Got to learn the 'no remote user login' method of TeamViewer... Then I'll switch for sure!

Dude, TeamViewer is THE BEST.

They also have an iPad and iPhone app.....it's amazing.

It's easy to set up unattended access....the newest Teamviewer version (6) prompts you to set this up when you install the software.

You then need to create a Teamviewer account, where you can store other people's ID #s and all you have to do is double-click their name when they are online and need help.

Ogreon
02-04-2011, 18:39
If I said that to my mom, she would pull out the Yellow pages and start calling specialty meat shops around town asking if they sold "Sticks of Ram" :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

She would end up with something like this...

http://www.borispalatnik.com/WalkingStickSwordCane106Sa.jpg

Sometimes.....No, I take that back; USUALLY it is just less frustrating to remote in and do it.

You would end up with a cool cane. I fail to see the downside.

MikeG22
02-05-2011, 09:25
I use logmein on their computers, and if that is fubar'd for some reason I'll use Logmein IT Reach which is really really slick.