hardcast bullets [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : hardcast bullets

g29guy
02-04-2011, 00:59
I'm new to the reloading hobby. I shoot a 29 with a stock barrel, but will be ordering a lw barrel in 10mm.

I was wondering what styles and brands of hardcast or lead bullets(round nose, flat nose, semi wadcutter ect) do you use in 180-200 grain reloads. Ill just be using for target shooting to keep costs down.

Also what max loads have you used with 800x with lead?

Taterhead
02-04-2011, 10:36
In hardcast bullets, I've only used 200 gr wide flat nosed gas checked bullets. That is the projectile that I carry for protection in the mountains. I run those through a stock g20 barrel. These are not cheap like cast lead though so they won't be a great solution for economical volume loading. I prefer a 180 gain copper plated bullet from Berry's for economical volume loading. They are suitable for a stock barrel.

MY max charge of 800x behind a 200gr wfngc hardcast bullet is 8.5 grains with a standard primer. 8.0 with a mag primer. 1150 fps and 1100 fps, respectively. My observations conclude that these were both pushing the pressure limits so approach with caution and work up slowly. There is no published data for these projectiles so it is probably not a good endeavor for a newcomer. These charge weights will be too hot for cast lead.

I got better results with Accurate # 9.

Meathead9
02-04-2011, 15:03
I use DT's 200gr WFNGC bullets, but Beartooth is another option. This is my hunting/woods carry load.

My MAX load is:
9.2gr 800X
CCI350
1.25 OAL
.418-.419 Crimp
1360fps out of a 6" barrel

This load is OVER IMR's LISTED MAX. If you're going to work this load up in your gun, start at IMR's listed minimum and work up .2gr at a time. Just because my gun can handle this load, doesn't mean yours will.