Just bought a 870, have a few questions. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a 870, have a few questions.

05DodgeDakota
02-04-2011, 06:38
I just traded a rifle yesterday (a well used and abused Remington 760 chambered in .30-06) for a gently used Remington 870 Express Magnum chambered in 12 gauge. It has something like a black, rough to the touch, kinda like spray-on truck bedliner finish. Is that what I here called Parkerized? It also has black, synthetic stock and forend, which is the standard length. It also has what I think is a 18.5 inch barrel, but I need to measure it, with bead sight. It has no tube extension, and the hunting plug or whatever is still in it so that it only holds 2+1. They were asking 300 for it. One of the first things I'm going to do is remove that plug and also get a +2 extension. To just remove the plug, do I need a different mag tube spring? And do the extentions come with a new spring as well? I then want to get the shorter, "Tactical" forend, but I'm unsure which one to get. I was planning on just getting a black one but after seeing some of the tactical shotguns on here and how nice they look with wood furnature, I'm starting to reconsider. Only thing is that I might later on what to get a pistol grip, collapsable stock, and I really like the sounds of the one with the buffer tube that I believe Mesa makes. Actually a Tan or Green stock might look nice too. One last mod that I want to do for now is some type of simple sling.

byf43
02-04-2011, 07:05
Sounds like the run-of-the-mill 870 Express.
Nothing 'wrong' with them, per se, but, the finish is not of "Wingmaster" quality.

The barrel is most likely 18-1/2". (I think Remington stopped marketing 18" barrels some years ago.)
With the bolt closed and locked (and the shotgun EMPTY/UNLOADED), slide a dowel rod down the barrel and let it 'bottom' on the boltface.
Place a pencil/pen mark on the dowel where it meets the muzzle and remove and measure.

For the magazine, to put the extended tube on it, you'll have to remove the 'dimples' that are in the factory magazine tube.
(Slide the action open, and you'll see the dimples in the magazine tube about 3/4 to 1" down from the front end.)
There are a couple of different ways to remove those dimples.
Google is your friend, for this.
There may be a thread or two on how to do it, here, also. Use the Search function.
One word of caution.
When you remove the end cap and the magazine spring retainer (use a screwdriver and press down on the retainer and twist), keep your eyes away from the magazine tube, and put your thumb over the retainer as you SLOWLY release the spring tension!!!!!!!!

Wilson's +2 extension is a great tube, as well as the Remington Factory tube.
I have both and they work as designed.

If you want a pistol-gripped stock, I have used the Blackhawk (Knoxx) "SpecOps". It works as advertised.

05DodgeDakota
02-04-2011, 07:09
Well I wanted a personal police magnum, but this is what they had. What is different about the WingMaster's receiver/trigger group? Also Before I do the tube extension, how do I remove the hunting plug and do I need a different spring?

Also I plan on doing alot more research online later, but can't right now, so thank you for your responces

TxDeputy
02-04-2011, 07:25
No....You won't need a new spring when you remove the plug.
The plug just restricts the follower from compressing completely.

+2 extensions come with the longer spring you'll need.

05DodgeDakota
02-04-2011, 07:32
No....You won't need a new spring when you remove the plug.
The plug just restricts the follower from compressing completely.

+2 extensions come with the longer spring you'll need.

Thank you, I'm probably remove the plug when I get home and get a chance to clean it. I luckily got to shoot it some yesterday, just some leftover 00 Buck and some #6. So how do you remove it? Normally when I break down a shotgun to clean it, I just remove the barrel.

I could also use some shell suggestions. I'll tell you, I don't know if it's a difference in stocks or just the fact that they were standard loads and not the reduced recoil ones we use at work, but this things kicks pretty good.

B Coyote
02-04-2011, 08:13
It's likely the difference between standard and low recoil.

My advice is to set it up like your duty shotgun. Keeping things the same is always best.

bc

MrMurphy
02-04-2011, 08:38
The express finish isn't as tough as parkerized. If you've been handling it, wipe it down. I found out the hard way. A Sentry Solutions Tuf-cloth is what i use on all weapons and it works, but a basic silicone cloth will do also.

TxDeputy
02-04-2011, 08:56
This shows you how.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PuYKzU7_tA

05DodgeDakota
02-04-2011, 09:38
Got some more questions; why is it that everyone uses 00 Buck and not 000 Buck? I know it all comes down to shot size verses number of pellets, but what logic is it that lands most people on 00? And I assume the use of low-recoil rounds is so that you can more easily aquire your target after each shot, but how bad does this affect accuracy or range? Also just so everyone knows, this weapon is primarly for home defense and target pratice. Does anyone use a choke on a HD gun? Also how is a choke installed? Do you have to buy a threaded barrel? I believe mine is just cylinder, or possibly improved cylinder.

TxDeputy
02-04-2011, 09:50
Try this:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=14

Big Bird
02-04-2011, 09:51
Got some more questions; why is it that everyone uses 00 Buck and not 000 Buck? I know it all comes down to shot size verses number of pellets, but what logic is it that lands most people on 00? And I assume the use of low-recoil rounds is so that you can more easily aquire your target after each shot, but how bad does this affect accuracy or range? Also just so everyone knows, this weapon is primarly for home defense and target pratice. Does anyone use a choke on a HD gun? Also how is a choke installed? Do you have to buy a threaded barrel? I believe mine is just cylinder, or possibly improved cylinder.

It depends. Mostly there's little difference between 0, 00, and OOO Buckshot within most home defense type situations where you are talking less than 30 feet. At that range you will still have a very small pattern of shot that you can cover with a tuna can or smaller. So the shot column effectively hits as a solid mass. Very devastating and certainly a bigger margin of error than say a pistol 0r .223...

My advice is ALWAYS to pattern your gun at all distances to see how it works. In my experience tighter chokes like Full tend to upset the shot column with larger shot like Buckshot and increase the spread rather than tighten the patterns at extended range. My advice if you are going to want to shoot beyond 25 yards is to buy Federal's Buckshot loads with the Flitecontrol Wads which do an exceptionally good job of keeping the shot pattern tight at extended ranges. We use the same exact wad technology in the Federal Black Cloud Steel shot hunting loads and it works wonders for long shots on passing geese for me.

When you shoot steel shot for waterfowl you simply don't choke the gun down below Modified as it really disrupts the shot column with steel shot--much of the same principle applies with large shot like OO Buck.

Pattern the gun, ON PAPER! At the distances you expect to use it. Personally, I would not invest in a choke system and don't have one on either of my tactical guns.

Nutt51
02-04-2011, 10:59
Go to JR's page at www.aiptactical.com (http://www.aiptactical.com), there he has a bunch
of info. on the 870. That's all he builds and he will answer any
questions you have, heck of a nice guy.
He says that all the 870's use the same receiver, just a different
finish. You can replace just a few parts inside and have the
same solid gun that a Police model is.
On the Express you will need to remove the dimples as described
previously. I bought a 2 shot extension from Wilson, I got the
one without the sling bracket, it comes with a new spring and
high viz follower. You just screw it on, it's solid as hell and no
need for a barrel clamp.

byf43
02-04-2011, 11:18
I could also use some shell suggestions. I'll tell you, I don't know if it's a difference in stocks or just the fact that they were standard loads and not the reduced recoil ones we use at work, but this things kicks pretty good.

I've used (and still do) Remington "Express" 00B, Federal 00B with 'FliteControl Wad'.

Both pattern well from all of my 870s and the 870 that I set-up for my daughter to use for HD.

Recoil.
"Limbsaver" pad. Same animal as the Remington "R3" pad. Same-same.
Blackhawk (Knoxx) "SpecOps" stock. These work!
My daughter had never fired a shotgun before, and I bought an 870 for her and put a SpecOps stock (with Limbsaver pad) and she was shooting 00B, slugs, #7-1/2 'birdshot'. You name it.
She said that she LOVES that 870!!

This is my daughter's 870 Express:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/byf43/Shotgun%20pics/Erins8701.jpg

I took the wood furniture off of it, and put the synthetic forend on it, to 'match' the SpecOps.

We found out that adding a +2 extension and sidesaddle to the scattergun made for a front-heavy shotgun, for her.
So, I added a Blackhawk (Knoxx) "PowerPak" to the buttstock.

It looks like this:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/byf43/Shotgun%20pics/PowerPak_main.gif
Now, she has a cheekpiece. She got pinched pretty darned badly, when she first started shooting this. (That's the ONLY drawback to the SpecOps. You gotta keep your head off that piece where the moveable part of the stock is!!) It didn't phase her.
My daughter is a real trooper. But, I eliminated the 'bad part' of the equation.

05DodgeDakota
02-04-2011, 12:15
It depends. Mostly there's little difference between 0, 00, and OOO Buckshot within most home defense type situations where you are talking less than 30 feet. At that range you will still have a very small pattern of shot that you can cover with a tuna can or smaller. So the shot column effectively hits as a solid mass. Very devastating and certainly a bigger margin of error than say a pistol 0r .223...

My advice is ALWAYS to pattern your gun at all distances to see how it works. In my experience tighter chokes like Full tend to upset the shot column with larger shot like Buckshot and increase the spread rather than tighten the patterns at extended range. My advice if you are going to want to shoot beyond 25 yards is to buy Federal's Buckshot loads with the Flitecontrol Wads which do an exceptionally good job of keeping the shot pattern tight at extended ranges. We use the same exact wad technology in the Federal Black Cloud Steel shot hunting loads and it works wonders for long shots on passing geese for me.

When you shoot steel shot for waterfowl you simply don't choke the gun down below Modified as it really disrupts the shot column with steel shot--much of the same principle applies with large shot like OO Buck.

Pattern the gun, ON PAPER! At the distances you expect to use it. Personally, I would not invest in a choke system and don't have one on either of my tactical guns.

Those federal rounds are what I believe we use, I'd have to double check. Groups of about 4" at 15 yards. And your points about the choke make sense, thank you. And of course before I make a final decision on what to keep in it, I'll test them alot.

05DodgeDakota
02-04-2011, 12:19
Go to JR's page at www.aiptactical.com (http://www.aiptactical.com), there he has a bunch
of info. on the 870. That's all he builds and he will answer any
questions you have, heck of a nice guy.
He says that all the 870's use the same receiver, just a different
finish. You can replace just a few parts inside and have the
same solid gun that a Police model is.
On the Express you will need to remove the dimples as described
previously. I bought a 2 shot extension from Wilson, I got the
one without the sling bracket, it comes with a new spring and
high viz follower. You just screw it on, it's solid as hell and no
need for a barrel clamp.

Yea I've been on his site before drooling over what he offers, I know he's on this forum so I was kinda hoping he may chime in as well. And from what I gather the scattergun Tech extension is the same as the Wilson, and I will order it soon, along with the Remington Speedfeed aka Law enforcement forend, although I will get the one with the swivel for a sling. Good to know about not needing a barrel clamp.

05DodgeDakota
02-04-2011, 12:23
I've used (and still do) Remington "Express" 00B, Federal 00B with 'FliteControl Wad'.

Both pattern well from all of my 870s and the 870 that I set-up for my daughter to use for HD.

Recoil.
"Limbsaver" pad. Same animal as the Remington "R3" pad. Same-same.
Blackhawk (Knoxx) "SpecOps" stock. These work!
My daughter had never fired a shotgun before, and I bought an 870 for her and put a SpecOps stock (with Limbsaver pad) and she was shooting 00B, slugs, #7-1/2 'birdshot'. You name it.
She said that she LOVES that 870!!

This is my daughter's 870 Express:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/byf43/Shotgun%20pics/Erins8701.jpg

I took the wood furniture off of it, and put the synthetic forend on it, to 'match' the SpecOps.

We found out that adding a +2 extension and sidesaddle to the scattergun made for a front-heavy shotgun, for her.
So, I added a Blackhawk (Knoxx) "PowerPak" to the buttstock.

It looks like this:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/byf43/Shotgun%20pics/PowerPak_main.gif
Now, she has a cheekpiece. She got pinched pretty darned badly, when she first started shooting this. (That's the ONLY drawback to the SpecOps. You gotta keep your head off that piece where the moveable part of the stock is!!) It didn't phase her.
My daughter is a real trooper. But, I eliminated the 'bad part' of the equation.

For now I think I'll be keeping the stock it came with till I can save for the collaspable, recoil reducing one, but I think I will be adding a "Limbsaver" to it. Also good to know about the shell holder that doubles as a cheekpiece, I was wondering how your supposed to keep a proper cheek weld with those tube stocks.

byf43
02-04-2011, 13:22
I actually don't put my cheek on that SpecOps stock.

I lock the stock into my shoulder and keep my head up, just above the stock, and concentrate on the Center Mass. (And no, the stock doesn't come up and say, "Hello" to my cheek!)

Out to about 15 yards, it works pretty well, especially with the Federal loads.
I really like them.

05DodgeDakota
02-04-2011, 15:27
Try this:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=14

Thanks for the link, although this site seems to be a better sourse of info on Tactical/Self Defense shotguns. They focus on hunting it seems, but the basic info is there.

B Coyote
02-04-2011, 21:55
The Basement is their equivalent of this forum. Like here, if you can sort through the crap, there is some REALLY good information available there.

bc

05DodgeDakota
02-05-2011, 02:57
Anyways, last night I cleaned it for the first time and removed the plug, it was easy, and the youtube videos help. Only tricky part is getting the slide arms back into the receiver