Trigger and magazine question. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Trigger and magazine question.

redrooster
02-04-2011, 22:28
I just bought a Colt 1991A1 a couple of weeks ago.

I'm looking to pick up some new mags for it and am leaning towards Checkmate 7 rd, hybrid feed lips with flat/dimpled follower. I've heard that Checkmate makes "oem" mags for colt and that this is basically what new factory colt magazines are. www.midwayusa.com has new Colt magazines on sale right now. Does anyone know if the mags that are on sale have the hybrid feed lips? I e-mailed them and they couldn't tell me anything more than they were replacement Colt magazines.

I'd also like to replace the plastic trigger with either steel or aluminum, but I really like the length of the current 1991A1 trigger. Does anyone know if Colt has a similar trigger in steel or aluminum. I checked www.brownells.com and they have a Colt replacement trigger, but it doesn't give much information.

Thanks for any help.

samuse
02-05-2011, 01:13
The factory 7 round Colt mags you're looking at will have hybrid lips.

There's really nothing wrong with the factory trigger, plastic is light and that's a good thing when it comes to 1911 triggers. Any long trigger for a 1911 can be used to replace it, but will need to be fit. If you want an aluminum triger that looks stock, a Harrison Hard Use Trigger would fit the bill, but you really won't gain anything with it.

As far as mags, if you're not shooting wadcutters, I think the Checkmate G.I. spec mags are awesome. You can buy 'em direct from Checkmate.

redrooster
02-05-2011, 06:45
Thanks for the response. I may go with the Colt's at that price, but if not I will go with Checkmates. Do you prefer the GI feed lips to the hybrid, with or without hollowpoints?

samuse
02-05-2011, 15:18
I may get flamed for this, but the Colt hybrids have been the most unreliable mag I've used in any of my 1911s. I've never been able to get 'em to feed hollowpoints but they run well enough with 230 FMJ.

The G.I. taper mags have fed WWB and RangerT JHPs just fine and they feel smoother when using ball. In my experience, if you're using ball or ball profile JHP, hybrid or wadcutter mags only help reliability when there's another feeding problem with the gun, such as a overpowered recoil spring, tight extractor, incorrect feedramp, tight chamber.

That being said, I understand how Wilson Combat mags work, but I have not had a problem with them feeding anything in any of my 1911s. I use the 7 round 47s.

If I could have the last few years of my life back, I'd have a pile of G.I. spec mags and I'd have never even tried feed a hollowpoint through a 1911.