Random reboots of old computer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Random reboots of old computer

geminicricket
02-05-2011, 14:06
You'd think I'd decide to just throw it out and buy a new computer.
No, I can't convince myself to do that.
The disk is good.
It boots.
PCFix 2011 says the registry is in good order.
Checkdisk didn't find anything wrong.

What happened:

A few months ago, I formatted the disk and restored the computer.
After that, I purchased PCFix 2011.
I downloaded a new CCleaner,
Things worked well for several weeks. The computer was on at all times, updated regularly and Kaspersky was protecting it from viruses.

Then, the rolling blackouts hit. No UPS. That's my fault. BUT, the computer wasn't damaged. Checkdisk still doesn't find anything wrong, PCFix 2011 still keeps the registry clean, but the computer wouldn't stay up for more than a few minutes. This morning I ordered a new power supply. Heck, I don't know why. I just did. I also ran the ccleaner for the first time in several weeks. It deleted over 1 gig of junk. Since then, the computer has run without trouble. That has been the longest stretch of time that the machine has run.

The thing is, I can't imagine what what ccleaner would have found that would have been causing random reboots.

At least I'll get a little bit of an upgrade to the power supply of this old computer. That can't hurt. Oh, and, I'll get a UPS.

IndyGunFreak
02-05-2011, 14:10
Power Supply or a bad memory module... If you want to keep the PC, change the PS before it blows. Cuz when it blows, it's probably gonna fry the motherboard.

gemeinschaft
02-05-2011, 17:22
Power Supply or a bad memory module... If you want to keep the PC, change the PS before it blows. Cuz when it blows, it's probably gonna fry the motherboard.

+1

when Power shuts off and then comes back on, it is not always stable power. I would recommend getting a UPS that also has power conditioning. This can maintain a steady amount of electricity regardless of the peaks and troughs in the the current.

Also, I would emphasize that unless you want to spend a lot of money on a UPS, you will probably want the UPS to carry you just long enough to power down your machine.

Read the instructions that come with your UPS, you will have to take the Batteries out and connect them... They are not sent Plug and Play ready :rofl::rofl:

I only mention this because we had a guy at work that put a UPS on a Data connection coming into the building. The power went down and we lost that data connection. Upon inspecting the UPS, he had not hooked up the batteries and it was just sitting there passing current through to a switch with no backup available. It was not good for him. Ahhhh... Good times.

geminicricket
02-05-2011, 18:19
OK, you convinced me.

The new PS will be installed next week, and I'll also order a UPS. (and read the instructions)

Just on the basis of having a forex trading program running with real money at stake on this computer, I SHOULD have had a UPS on it for the past several months. Speed kills young drivers and cheap kills old computers.

IndyGunFreak
02-05-2011, 18:36
OK, you convinced me.

The new PS will be installed next week, and I'll also order a UPS. (and read the instructions)

Don't get some el-cheapo Power Supply. My personal opinion.. if it isn't Antec, don't use it. Cheap power supplies are extremely unstable.

Edit: Oh, and by the way, Use the computer sparingly until you can replace the PS.. cuz I'm almost sure thats what it is.... I just had a PC dropped off to me a little bit ago, that had the "Pop of Death" last night. I'm hoping the MB isn't screwed... but if my past experiences are any inclination, it's probably toast. Who knows though, there's no blown capacitors, etc.. so she might have got it shut off on time (she was using it).

IGF