Springfield 1911 made in Brazil [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Springfield 1911 made in Brazil

Z71bill
02-05-2011, 15:13
I don't care all that much where a gun is made - I have a Polish underfolder AK, a Bulgarian (mostly) AK - a G19 from Austria -

While doing research / trying to decide which 1911 to buy

I noticed all the pictures of Springfield Armory 1911 on their web site show Geneseo, Il USA stamped right into the frame.

But when I looked at a gun in person they say Brazil.

So I gave SA customer service a call - and ask them about it - figured maybe guns were made both places.

They said all frames are made in Brazil and will have Brazil on the side.

So I ask - did you photo shop Geneseo, Il USA on the photos of all the guns that are on your web site? The lady said - yes we did. :wow:

It seems strange to me that they would do this - :dunno:

If I was buying a gun and had a choice - two of the same model sitting side by side - one USA one Brazil - I would grab the made in USA gun -

Like I said already - having the gun made in Brazil doesn't bother me all that much - I may still get one -

But when a company photo shops the images they use so they look like they are made in the USA -when they are not - it bugs me a little.

Anyone else have an opinion about this? :upeyes:

JBnTX
02-05-2011, 15:41
I've wondered about that myself.

Thank you for calling them and finding out why none of their pictures
show the "made in Brazil" markings.

Are they ashamed of where their guns are made?

Maybe they're afraid that the "made in America" crowd won't buy their
guns?

They have nothing to hide because IMBEL of Brazil produces a superior
product. Probably better than anything that can be "made in America".

Having their 1911 frames forged in Brazil is a good thing. Just do a Google
search of IMBEL and check out all the military products they produce.

I wish all the IMBEL produced weapons were available in the United States.

CaptCave
02-05-2011, 16:15
The CS lady didn't explain it correctly, or something.

All the frames do come from Imbel in Brazil, but not all of them are marked that way. Only the guns that are mostly built in Brazil are stamped as such.

Guns that are mostly built/put together in the US, are marked that way.

Quack
02-05-2011, 16:19
http://quacksgunstuff.blogspot.com/2011/01/springfield-armorys-1911-serial-number.html

u4ea
02-05-2011, 16:29
http://quacksgunstuff.blogspot.com/2011/01/springfield-armorys-1911-serial-number.html

Are all TRP and Professionals "NM" model guns that are mostly made in Illinois? They must be, due to being semi-custom and custom guns...

Quack
02-05-2011, 16:34
Are all TRP and Professionals "NM" model guns that are mostly made in Illinois? They must be, due to being semi-custom and custom guns...

TRP's and Trophy Match are NM. these are still production guns and not "semi-custom"

the Professional is a CRG

Z71bill
02-05-2011, 16:48
The CS lady didn't explain it correctly, or something.

All the frames do come from Imbel in Brazil, but not all of them are marked that way. Only the guns that are mostly built in Brazil are stamped as such.

Guns that are mostly built/put together in the US, are marked that way.

I was looking at "loaded" models PX9104LP bi-tone or PX9109LP parkerized - and think I mentioned that to the customer service person at SA.

All the pics of these guns (and the GI model too) show Geneseo, Il USA -

Are you saying these models are made in both places so some are marked USA some Brazil?

Quack
02-05-2011, 16:51
GI's are built by IMBEL in Brazil. they have the WW prefix.

some guns might have the "N" prefix and it doesn't look like it made in Brazil from the side, but on the underside of the dustcover it'll have the marking.

R0CKETMAN
02-05-2011, 18:02
This was made in Brazil too. Looks fine to me
http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af45/girlsofbrazilcalendar/swimsuit-calendar-Alessandra-1.jpg

glock2740
02-05-2011, 18:17
http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af45/girlsofbrazilcalendar/swimsuit-calendar-Alessandra-1.jpg
Yeah, but that looks like a MIM bikini. Those will eventually break. :cool:

Nickpisp
02-05-2011, 18:30

You saying that's a bad thing?:supergrin:

nitesite10mm
02-05-2011, 18:35
Some frames are forged and machined in the USA, and have s/n's with a NM prefix. This does not imply National Match, BTW. Their higher-end guns are primarily built on frames done in the USA.

Many of their other 1911s have frames forged in Brazil and they are thusly marked. But while the frames are from Brazil, these pistols are still assembled in the USA from parts primarily made in the USA under contract to Springfield Armory.

No completed 1911s come out of Brazil.

The forged frames made by IMBEL are better for builds than many cast frames made in the USA.

rsxr22
02-05-2011, 18:37
This is more of the type of bikini's Joe wants to see snap!

http://whataguysees.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/security-dude-550x399.jpg

glock2740
02-05-2011, 19:39

Dude, this ain't facebook. Post pics of yourself elsewhere. I just threw up in my mouth. :rofl:

thecableguy
02-05-2011, 19:41

I see Bac finally posted a picture of himself. :tongueout: :rofl:

airflyer
02-05-2011, 19:52
That's just wrong

bac1023
02-05-2011, 19:57

The TRP is a production gun, the Pro is a semi-custom.

bac1023
02-05-2011, 19:58

:rofl::rofl:

Z71bill
02-05-2011, 20:00
Let me ask it simple & straight forward - so I can understand it without looking at serial number prefixes.

Can I actually buy all the 1911 SA has on their web site?

that say

Springfield
Geneseo, Il USA

on the frame

Or

Do they photo shop some of the pictures just for the web site?

rsxr22
02-05-2011, 20:12
Dude, this ain't facebook. Post pics of yourself elsewhere. I just threw up in my mouth. :rofl:

Stop denying it! That sure looks more like a GC in your hand then it does my EMP, Spartan, or TRP!!! Acceptance is the 1st step to recovery. You rep the community well sir! STAY STRAPPED!!!!

bac1023
02-05-2011, 20:16
Stop denying it! That sure looks more like a GC in your hand then it does my EMP, Spartan, or TRP!!! Acceptance is the 1st step to recovery. You rep the community well sir! STAY STRAPPED!!!!

:rofl::rofl:

glock2740
02-05-2011, 20:19
:animlol:I knew I shouldn't bought that damn GC. See what kinda bender I went on afterwards. :rofl:

rsxr22
02-05-2011, 20:21
:animlol:I knew I shouldn't bought that damn GC. See what kinda bender I went on afterwards. :rofl:

HAHA Indeed a hell of a bender.

R0CKETMAN
02-05-2011, 20:34
So while on the subject, what, if any, part of the Pro is made out of conus?

Herb Twoleaf
02-05-2011, 23:44
The RO I looked at here had the NM serial# and Geneseo, just like a NM Mil-Spec with the extra RO bits...

I liked my Mil-Spec's trigger better :crying:

knedrgr
02-05-2011, 23:59
So does it come with a full Brazilian? :animlol:

Nickpisp
02-06-2011, 00:00
So does it come with a full Brazilian? :animlol:

The underside of mine is pretty smooth...:whistling:

mr00jimbo
02-06-2011, 16:31
I admit I was skeptical at first and dismissed them 'cause I didn't know a lot about Brazilian manufacturer.
I used to only want a USA made 1911, or perhaps German or Canadian.

From what I have seen and read, their forgings are top notch. But they do seem kind of ashamed of the Brazilian-made part. I've noticed that throughout the years, the Brazil engraving on the frame seems to move around, from the dust cover to around the trigger area.
I've even heard that some of them say Brazil under the grips, so it's not visible when the gun is fully assembled.

Higher end 1911s from SA are finished in the US and apparently qualify for the Made in USA designation. Also, some "lower" models such as the Mil Spec, are finished in the US and have a "NM" serial number with no mention of Brazil on them as far as I have seen.
There is speculation that the NM ones are better, but I can't say first hand, since
1. I haven't compared them side by side
2. I'm nowhere near knowledgeable on 1911s to compliment on what's made better.

AZ Husker
02-06-2011, 16:53
I have a problem with the way they market. They bought the honored name yet still pretend that they are "America's Armory", all the time building guns in Brazil.

craig19
02-06-2011, 16:55
I have a problem with the way they market. They bought the honored name yet still pretend that they are "America's Armory", all the time building guns in Brazil.

You sound like my Dad. That's how I wound up with his GI, LOL.

mr00jimbo
02-06-2011, 17:02

Hey, some of their guns are made in Croatia. :tongueout:

glock75
02-06-2011, 17:31
All four of my SA 1911's are stamped on the receiver Geneseo, IL. No photoshop there.

glock75
02-06-2011, 17:40
All four of my SA 1911's are stamped on the receiver Geneseo, IL. No photoshop there.

Glock940
02-06-2011, 18:22

Until she stands up, turns around and you notice she is hung like a horse :tongueout::rofl::rofl:

R0CKETMAN
02-06-2011, 19:07
Until she stands up, turns around and you notice she is hung like a horse :tongueout::rofl::rofl:

Please keep your fantasies to yourself.

Hokie1911
02-06-2011, 19:11
The underside of mine is pretty smooth...:whistling:

:rofl:

anyplainjoe
02-06-2011, 19:49

BINGO. They wrap themselves in the flag, then after their purchase is at home, people discover their 1911 is made in Brazil and get a rude awakening.

u4ea
02-06-2011, 19:53
I know a bunch of people on here were adamantly against the Glocks that had frames made in Georgia. They wanted it to be a pure Austrian Glock. I guess people want things to be as national as possible. I don't care if something is made in the pyramids of Egypt or downtown Somolia as long as it works. Made in America is good where it counts, but some things are just better when they're not made here. We can make a damn good truck, but for commuter cars Japan has our number.

CaptCave
02-06-2011, 20:06
Let me ask it simple & straight forward - so I can understand it without looking at serial number prefixes.

Can I actually buy all the 1911 SA has on their web site?

that say

Springfield
Geneseo, Il USA

on the frame

Or

Do they photo shop some of the pictures just for the web site?

Yes, you might have to look at numerous pieces, but you will eventually find them. Still, ALL the frames are forged by Imbel.

It doesn't really matter though.

Glock940
02-07-2011, 00:23
Please keep your fantasies to yourself.

^^^:rofl:.....not my fantasy at all just putting it out there.

branned
02-07-2011, 00:47
Last year I look and liked the Springfield Loaded 1911 in stainless, but I did not like the Made in Brazil on the frame.

I went for about the same price with the SW1911 TRP Black Stainless Steel by S&W made in Houlton, Maine.:supergrin:

An American calassic I wanted made in the US.:wow:

branned
02-07-2011, 00:53

OK, my wife thinks my Glock Talk forum is sad:rofl: I am just glad I had dinner 4 hours ago.:supergrin:

cole
02-07-2011, 01:50
I won't buy another SA 1911 with an "N" SN number unless it was cheap... maybe. Nice guns that work. But, poorer fit and finish to "NM" guns in my experience.

Nestor
02-07-2011, 05:23
My Mili-Spec has serial number starting with "NM" and is of very nice quality.
Sure it's basic model, but fit and finish is very nice.

silversport
02-07-2011, 06:00
My Mili-Spec has serial number starting with "NM" and is of very nice quality.
Sure it's basic model, but fit and finish is very nice.

yours was finished in Illinois (as was my NM marked and nowhere marked "Brasil" Mil-Spec)...my buddy's N marked Mil-Spec looks a little different...has just a bit less "finishing" on the internals but shoots identically to mine...

Bill

Gunshine
02-07-2011, 06:55

Ok. I'll wait.

faawrenchbndr
02-07-2011, 06:58
yours was finished in Illinois (as was my NM marked and nowhere marked "Brasil" Mil-Spec)...my buddy's N marked Mil-Spec looks a little different...has just a bit less "finishing" on the internals but shoots identically to mine...

Bill

Where are the WW serial number prefix Springers finished?

Nickpisp
02-07-2011, 08:09
Where are the WW serial number prefix Springers finished?

Wally World

:rofl: Brazil

craig19
02-07-2011, 08:12
Wally World

:rofl: Brazil

:supergrin: Mine has the WW serial, seems to be ok.

Z28ricer
02-07-2011, 08:43
They can make it in brazil all they want.

But im not buying it.

Until they offer the "loaded ultra compact" on the aluminum frame of the micro compact LWT models :)

GeorgiaRedfish
02-07-2011, 11:28
Mine is WW and the finish is great.

MajorD
02-07-2011, 12:41
all springfields start off shore- the xd series in croatia the 1911's in brazil and the forging for the m1a reciever at imbel as well. The oldest name in american firearms as the ads say do not build ANY guns from the ground up in the USA.
Do not confuse the above with saying they are bad or substandard. They actually market a pretty good product. but they don't really build it.
Many people are shocked to find out any popular products advertised with american flags waving in the background are not us made. Another company that comes to mind is blackhawk industries that has most or all of its nylon products constructed in vietnam