Is my stock laminate or real wood? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is my stock laminate or real wood?

wrx04
02-05-2011, 18:54
Have an 870 and im not sure if the stock is real wood or laminate. Im pretty sure its the latter......its a new one that was bought last year. Do they make real wood stocks for these anymore? It is not a police model by the way.....just a regular 28" barrel express. Serial # ends with an "A" if that helps.

Thanks.

Big A
02-05-2011, 21:22
Unless your stock is differnt shades then it is not laminate...

A laminate process goes something like this:

They take a piece of fir, a piece of oak, and a piece of pine, glue(laminate) them together in the shape of a 4x4 or 2x4 and then shape it into a stock or pice of furniture or whatever and it produces different shades and makes nice custom looking piece of wood...

Hydra-SHOKz
02-05-2011, 22:35
If it looks like this it's a laminate.
http://remington.com/~/media/Images/Firearms/Shotguns/Model-870/Model-870/870.ashx

wrx04
02-06-2011, 09:06
Thanks guys. My gun is identical to the pic above, so i guess that answers the question.

Did the older guns used to be solid wood, and is there any way i could get one of those new today?

Big A
02-06-2011, 10:32
Thanks guys. My gun is identical to the pic above, so i guess that answers the question.

Did the older guns used to be solid wood, and is there any way i could get one of those new today?

You can buy an aftermarket one, just do a google search and you'll find plenty of them.

I'm not sure if the ones that come on an 870 Police Magnum are laminate or not. I believe the are still solid walnut but I could be wrong...

Big A
02-06-2011, 10:33
Are you worried about the laminate stock coming apart or do you just not like the look?

Joshhtn
02-06-2011, 10:37
If you want to sell your stock set, send me a PM... I buy stock sets.

wrx04
02-06-2011, 14:47
Are you worried about the laminate stock coming apart or do you just not like the look?

Not worried about it at all, but i just like the old school ways of having a solid wood one. Just seems better quality to me.

Whether its true or not, laminate makes me think of "cheap". I dont know a whole lot about shotguns, but i can imagine all of the higher end guns still have solid wood stocks. I would only want a factory one though....not aftermarket.

wrx04
02-06-2011, 14:48
If you want to sell your stock set, send me a PM... I buy stock sets.

I doubt i'm gonna change the stock set, but if i do, i will shoot you a PM.

aippi
02-06-2011, 15:07
You are very wrong about cheap. It is very possible that laminate beams are serving as headers over the windows and doors of the room you are sitting in as you wrote that. Laminate is very strong and take the issue of grain, knots and other weak areas out of the item. A laminted beam cost more then building the beam your self out of wood and it is stronger. Thinking you get a stronger wood stock because it is solid is not correct.

I see many chips in solid wood stocks with most common damage being where it mounts to the receiver. The next common area is the very end of the bottom of the stock or toe will chip off. These problems will not happend on a laminated stock. They are stronger and will last longer.

Remington has discontinued the hardwood stocks on the P models, however, you will see them offered from time to time on limited production runs like last years buled P model.

When at the factory last April I asked why these stocks were dropped and the answer was "lack of demand". Now that they are not offered, everyone wants them.

wrx04
02-06-2011, 20:12
You are very wrong about cheap. It is very possible that laminate beams are serving as headers over the windows and doors of the room you are sitting in as you wrote that. Laminate is very strong and take the issue of grain, knots and other weak areas out of the item. A laminted beam cost more then building the beam your self out of wood and it is stronger. Thinking you get a stronger wood stock because it is solid is not correct.

I see many chips in solid wood stocks with most common damage being where it mounts to the receiver. The next common area is the very end of the bottom of the stock or toe will chip off. These problems will not happend on a laminated stock. They are stronger and wil last longer.

Remington has discontinued the hardwood stocks on the P models, however, you will see them offered from time to time on limited production runs like last years buled P model.

When at the factory last April I asked why these stocks were drop and the answer was "lack of demand". Now that they are not offered, everyone wants them.

Good to know. Thanks.

TxGun
02-09-2011, 23:26
Laminate is solid wood. And, as appi noted, it is significantly stronger than non-laminate.

Johan Beer
02-10-2011, 19:38
Call VanComp, they buy 870's with wood stocks and replace them with Speedfeed stocks. I guarantee they have a set of wood stocks that they will sell you for a good price.

Raleigh Glocker
02-10-2011, 19:43
I'm guessing that the word "laminate" is making you think of the way laminate furniture is made, with a plastic wood-grained veneer glued to fiberboard.

Laminated gun stocks are quite different and are layers of wood bonded together with resin. They are very tough, and some can be very attractive when different kinds or shades of wood are laminated together.

wrx04
02-10-2011, 20:19
I'm guessing that the word "laminate" is making you think of the way laminate furniture is made, with a plastic wood-grained veneer glued to fiberboard.

Laminated gun stocks are quite different and are layers of wood bonded together with resin. They are very tough, and some can be very attractive when different kinds or shades of wood are laminated together.

That is exactly what i was thinking. I was thinking along the lines of particle board with a veneer glued over top for cosmetic purposes. I thought it was along the same lines as laminate flooring<hardwood flooring.

This thread cleared that up for me. I actually really like the look of the stock on my gun. Thanks for the reply.