Sight question on a G19 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sight question on a G19

GLOCKgeo
02-06-2011, 10:40
I am not trying to be cheap so please take that in consideration before posting a response:supergrin:. I have walked around my house with my G19 drawn (unloaded) to see how well I could see the sights at night. I must say I can see the stock factory sight well in the dark. My question is have any of you ever just changed the front to a night sight? I like the factory "U" rear sight and dont think they make night sights in the "U" configuration. Thanks for the help.

elde
02-06-2011, 10:47
"My question is have any of you ever just changed the front to a night sight?"

Yep and it works fine. You can purchase the front sight by itself from Ameriglo. Here's the link:

http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/night-sights

PS - The front sight is a screw-on affair. Make sure Ameriglo provides you with a sight wrench (normally included at no charge). Add a little blue Loctite and you're GTG.

happyguy
02-06-2011, 11:15
I am not trying to be cheap so please take that in consideration before posting a response:supergrin:. I have walked around my house with my G19 drawn (unloaded) to see how well I could see the sights at night. I must say I can see the stock factory sight well in the dark. My question is have any of you ever just changed the front to a night sight? I like the factory "U" rear sight and dont think they make night sights in the "U" configuration. Thanks for the help.

Novak used to make a rear night sight in a |_| configuration. I don't know if they still do.

Edit: Maybe it was someone else that made it but I know I've seen them somewhere on the net.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

GLOCKgeo
02-06-2011, 11:20
"My question is have any of you ever just changed the front to a night sight?"

Yep and it works fine. You can purchase the front sight by itself from Ameriglo. Here's the link:

http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/night-sights

PS - The front sight is a screw-on affair. Make sure Ameriglo provides you with a sight wrench (normally included at no charge). Add a little blue Loctite and you're GTG.

First of all, thanks! Wow, the reason I gave some supporting information is because I didn't want responces offering money saving solutions, or my question being misunderstood. That is what would have happened if I asked the question as you restated it at the top of your post. I an not being ungreatful but be easy on us new guys.:supergrin:

elde
02-06-2011, 11:27
Pretty much all I did was offer information with regard to what I thought was your question. Not sure what "be easy on us new guys" means since there was no malice intended in my response.

Some days you just can't win, I guess. Have a nice one.

Sonnytoo
02-06-2011, 11:50
See here:
http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/night-sights/front-sights
I just ordered two front sight night-sights, 0.200" high, 0.125" wide, (as SAMUSE suggested) to put on my new G19 and G36. The stock height is 0.165". My guns shoot 4-6" high @ 25 yards, and this should do the trick. This website also has a calculator to help you choose the proper front sight height.
I PREFER front sight night-sight only. After all, the emphasis is on FRONT sight, and if it is that dark, the perp is close, or if you couldn't see him (he couldn't see you either) and you could just run away safely without the gunfight.
Go for it.
S2

Scamp
02-06-2011, 11:55
That was a great answer to a good question, but no matter how hard you try....

Some days you just can't win, I guess.

GLOCKgeo
02-06-2011, 14:37
Thanks for the replies gents. I have sent elde a PM and apolgized for sounding like a troll. I hope you guys give me another chance for a first impression :embarassed:. I am new to Glocks and you guys have been alot of help.

Glock4President
02-06-2011, 14:41
Welcome to the forum. I like the glock night sites. You can just purchase the front site, but you might as well get the rear as well. They are tennifer treated too.

wmkglock19
02-06-2011, 15:29
Thanks for the replies gents. I have sent elde a PM and apolgized for sounding like a troll. I hope you guys give me another chance for a first impression :embarassed:. I am new to Glocks and you guys have been alot of help.

Don't worry about that, just be respectful and post as things come to you. Your question is completely reasonable, I really like the rear factory sight my self, I would love if there was a night sight made in the same design.

welcome and Happy glocking!

-Will

Doc8404
02-06-2011, 15:36
just be careful what you purchase...I bought Meprolight adjustable night sights and then had to modify both holsters for them to still be usable...luckily my Dremel and i have a great relationship :)

samuse
02-06-2011, 15:42
The Ameriglo fron sight will do the trick. Get one that's .125" wide, it'll give you a nice sight picture with the stock rear sight.

If you ding up the plastic rear, you can get a metal one from Glock that looks just like the one you have now,

sigchaser723
02-06-2011, 16:03
My advise would be to replace the front sight like others have already explained but I would also suggest replacing the rear with a steel sight glock sells them in the stock style configuration and they are far more durable.

Melissa5
02-06-2011, 16:16
Ameriglo makes a rear site called U Rap. It kind of sounds like what you're talking about.

http://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/imagecache/uc_category/GL213_2.jpg

Sonnytoo
02-06-2011, 17:14
10-8 Performance is also a good company and has this model which has a U-shaped rear.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/10-8-Performance-Glock-Rear-Sight-p/10-8%20sight05%20125%20f215.htm
They show it out of stock at the moment.
S2

Bowtie
02-06-2011, 18:22
All my handguns have a blacked out rear sight and half of them have a front night sight..

tango44
02-06-2011, 19:12

What happens if for any reason you have to go away from your house???
Keep it simple bro, get the night sight set!

elde
02-06-2011, 20:05

Appreciate the PM sir. Glad to have you on the forum. Over the years I have learned quite a bit by just asking questions and absorbing the knowledge passed along by the members here. I blame this forum for the expense incurred for the 9 Glocks I now own plus the additional cost involved in becoming a Glock armorer. Congratulations on making the decision to purchase one of the finest firearms around -- you've found the best forum on the net.

dvrdwn72
02-06-2011, 20:08
Good info. Glad it was asked. I also like the stock sights and shoot really good with them. I may try this too.

Mudshark100
02-06-2011, 20:31
Night sights on the front sight only sounds like a good idea. last summer, I installed trigicons on my G19. I'm 53 and my aging eyes had trouble seeing the sights during the daylight hours, depending on lighting conditions. At night, I had trouble telling which green dot was the front sight. After two weeks of trying to get used to them, I replaced them with the original stock sights. I personally found the stock sights much easier to use. Again, I attribute this to aging eyes. Most folks have high regard for night sights. In hind sight, I probably would have done well to keep the Glock U shaped sight on the rear and the Trijicon on the front.

j-glock22
02-06-2011, 20:43
I have the full set on all of mine. I prefer the two-tone color sight set green front/ yellow back.

TSAX
02-06-2011, 20:54
Novak used to make a rear night sight in a |_| configuration. I don't know if they still do.

Edit: Maybe it was someone else that made it but I know I've seen them somewhere on the net.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

I remember these but have not seen those in a long time

ihateticks
02-07-2011, 07:45
Welcome Glockgeo, to both the forum and an incredibly time/money consuming hobby/habbit. I have a feeling that you will be planning your next glock purchase before the week is out.
The first thing I did to my Gen 4 G19 was replace the front sight. I went with a .165 ameriglo front tritium green. It was a good way to learn a little about the gun, not so much since your not getting into the trigger, springs, etc. But it helped me to see that modifying was fun and could be done on my own.
I have since ordered rear yellow tritiums, and am currently awaiting their arrival on pins and needles.
Your front sight should come with a tool to install it, and as Elde recommended, throw a little blue locktite on it.
It should not throw your sight picture/allignemt off as they are the same height.