Reducing LOP on Remington 870 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reducing LOP on Remington 870

CornettSav
02-06-2011, 15:52
I have an 870 Wingmaster in 20 Gauge that I would like to adapt for
my wife and 12 yr old (small-framed) son to be able to shoot comfortably.

Does anyone manufacture a stock with adjustable length of pull? I have seen the collapsable pistol-grip stock but have never used a pistol grip stock on a shotgun. Would it be comfortable for us for an afternoon?
We shoot purely for recreational purposes (tossing claying birds out at the in-law's farm fields). Would it look too goofy shooting clays with the pistol grip?:crazy:

I know I could have the original stock modified for them, but I would like to be able to shoot it too. Something that could be adjusted to each shooter is what I'm looking for.

I'd rather find a replacement stock instead of modifying the original. It's not a very valuable gun, I know.

Any ideas ?

aippi
02-06-2011, 16:30
The SpecOps for a 20ga would fill the bill just perfect. Assuming of course your 870 is a light weight. What letter does the serial number end with? If it ends in the letter "U" the 20 ga stocks fit. If it is a heavy frame 20ga having a serial number ending in N or X then the 12 ga stock fits it. You need to know this before you get any stock.

byf43
02-06-2011, 20:03
SpecOps for 20 ga is a great stock!!!

I also bought a 'beater stock' (formerly on a Remington 760) for $10 at a gunshow and cut the LOP to fit my youngest son.

I recently took it off and put the original back on.

Feanor
02-06-2011, 21:21
I will warn you off on the spec-ops knox stock offering. Its adjustable LOP is in my opinion totally geared towards taller men & women. Major problem with the stock and those who need, or desire a short LOP is that the spring is housed in such a way that the telescopic portion of the stock has a pronounced flare at the forward portion of the stock. With shorter people, who would most likely wish to shorten LOP all the way forward, this results in the stock literally slapping them in the face under recoil. I have seen them have their teeth knocked out in exactly this fashion.

Big Bird
02-06-2011, 21:26
You can buy a Hogue stock for your 870 with a 12" LOP or Remington makes a factory junior stock that is 13". The Standard factory is 14"...

I've never seen anyone that could actually hold and swing a shotgun use less than 12"

Anything in between those three options could easily be handled with some hard rubber spacers ground down to match the recoil pad dimensions....

CornettSav
02-06-2011, 23:46
Have you ever seen any type of device that would attach to the butt of a "shortened" standard stock and make it adjustable?

Seems like there would be a market for such a thing. I've not been able to find one. I've seen "spacers" that can be attached to the butt but I'm looking for something that can be changed shooter to shooter.

Appreciate all the advice.

CornettSav
02-06-2011, 23:47
I will warn you off on the spec-ops knox stock offering. Its adjustable LOP is in my opinion totally geared towards taller men & women. Major problem with the stock and those who need, or desire a short LOP is that the spring is housed in such a way that the telescopic portion of the stock has a pronounced flare at the forward portion of the stock. With shorter people, who would most likely wish to shorten LOP all the way forward, this results in the stock literally slapping them in the face under recoil. I have seen them have their teeth knocked out in exactly this fashion.

Appreciate that !

05DodgeDakota
02-07-2011, 05:56
Remington offers and adjustable LOP kit

aippi
02-07-2011, 08:24
That mess about the Specops being wrong for short people is wrong. This is written by a person that has no idea how to shoot this stock and those people that had their teeth knocked out were not shooting the stock correctly. Thousands of shooters use this stock and yet one or two idiots can't use it and some guy puts this mess on the internet that the stock is bad.

You do not put your face up near the receiver. You keep it back by the rear of the stock. You do not lower your face to the stock, you raise the weapon up to your line of sight. Go to www.aiptactical.com (http://www.aiptactical.com) and click on the red link "Breaking in the 870" and read the part about how to shoot the SpecOps stock. Follow this and the stock works perfectly and will enhance your shooting in every way.

As for short. I was 5'5" and I think I am now 5"4" as I am getting old. I have shot the SpecOps stock on 870's thousands of rounds and have never had Cheek slap or any issue with the stock. Never, not one single time. I know how to use this stock.

05DodgeDakota
02-07-2011, 15:30
it's actually funny you say that because I complained while at the range today to one of the instructors about how the recoil on my gun wasn't that bad yet I was getting alot of "cheek slap" but not on the wood stock issue 870. He mentioned he had seen the spec-ops stock do that but not a normal synthetic one. I need to see what I'm doing wrong with my cheek weld

Feanor
02-08-2011, 19:08
That mess about the Specops being wrong for short people is wrong. This is written by a person that has no idea how to shoot this stock. Thousands of shooters use this stock and yet one or two idiots cant use it and some guy puts this mess on the internet that the stock is bad. You do not put your face up near the receiver. You keep it back by the rear of the stock. You do not lower your face to the stock, you raise the weapon up to your line of sight. Never, not one single time. I know how to use this stock. The pkg for the Knox spec ops stock contains an explicit WARNING about the phenomenon I have referenced. The problem for shorter wing spanned shooters is that you are prohibited by the design from taking an proper cheek weld. You are warned by the manufacturer to stay back at least one(1)inch from the flare point of the stock. Thus, negating the purpose for having invested in the stock in the first place, shortening the LOP! OP, its up to you, do you want to take the word of some angry, insulting, internet gun expert, one who has chalked up the very well known(again, the manufacturer warns of this very problem on their pkg)problem to idiots, or someone who is just warning you to look very closely before dropping the hundred plus bucks for one? I sure know who I would listen to.

aippi
02-08-2011, 19:30
Feanor - you are telling the OP not to get the specops. Yet thousands of shooters use this stock every day with no issue. The method I describe on my web site is how to shoot the SpecOps and get the most out of it. It works.

Are you calling me an internet gun expert and instulting me with that mess? I have a sucessfull gun business with a great reputation and I know the Remington shotgun as well as anyone on this blog. So how does that make me an Internet gun Expert? I am an expert on these weapons and on the accessories I feature on them. And I feature the Specops and have fired thousands, thousands of rounds with it. Don't hate me 'cause I am right about this issue. You are wrong to tell the OP not get the stock because some idiots can't shoot the stock correctly. Give the OP the benifit to be able to use the stock. Just because you or others can't does mean he can't. He will find it does what it is susposed to do and he can shoot all day with it and not feel it. All he has to do is read my "Internet Expert" link on my web site on how to shoot the SpecOps.

Uncle T-bone
02-09-2011, 12:08
Love JD...he is like the latex glove without the KY. And, maybe without the glove. :rofl:

WiskyT
02-09-2011, 19:57
One could make a pretty good argument that only an idiot would need a shock absorber on a stock anyway. I wonder how many "SpecOps" warriors can't handle the fearsome recoil of reduced recoil ammo?

aippi
02-10-2011, 01:31
WiskyT - In your total lack of knowledge about these stocks you fail to understand the best feature of the SpecOps and the Mesa with Endine Buffer has nothing to do with recoil. It is the fact that when used properly they eliminate muzzle flip and you get back on tartget faster.

Vist the Blackhawk web site, click on stock then on SpecOps. Watch the video of the guy with the 870 with the SpecOps on it shooting against the semi-auto. Watch the barrel of the 870. See how the barrel stays parallel with the gound. Do you get it now? Also note he finishes first and stands there waiting for the guy with the semi to finish.

So, you are saying a man is an idiot to put a stock on his weapon that eliminates muzzle flip which allows him faster follow up shots in a fight, eats recoil and is adjustable for LOP. Also, as for your slam of "SpecOps Warriors". I find that an offensive and uncalled for. I have my custom builds being carried on duty by LEO's in 27 states. Many have the SpecOps and the Mesa stocks on them. These are Police, Deputies and other LEO's like the many DEA Agents using my weapons with those stocks on them. You insult these men who are out there on the front line.

As for the ability of these stock to reduce recoil. Yes they do. I am old now with tens of thousands of rounds down range in my life. I was foolish in my youth and have power lifted my entire life and I am now paying the price for that with bad shoulders. So using these stocks allows me to enjoy shooting and hunting. That does not make me an idiot WiskyT nor does it make me a "SpecOps Warrior". You are putting down an entire group of people based on what? I would like to know why you think this?

byf43
02-10-2011, 09:43
One could make a pretty good argument that only an idiot would need a shock absorber on a stock anyway. I wonder how many "SpecOps" warriors can't handle the fearsome recoil of reduced recoil ammo?

WhiskyT,

I put a SpecOps stock on the 870 that I bought for my daughter, to help with recoil.
It WORKS!
She's a young, fairly lightweight young woman, that had never fired a shotgun, before I gave her this scattergun.
The SpecOps is so effective in reducing recoil, she used full-power 00B, slugs and heavy field loads, and LOVED every minute of it.
She fired over 250 rounds that first day, getting used to loading, shooting, reloading.
(I pity the fool that enters her house and tries to do her harm!)

This stock 'bit her' ONE time.
I then put the Blackhawk (Knoxx) "PowerPak" on the stock, and that problem was eliminated. Period.

She isn't an idiot, and neither am I. Also, neither of us are "SpecOps Warriors".
But I have put thousands of rounds (literally), of 12 ga ammo downrange.

WiskyT
02-10-2011, 15:06
WiskyT - In your total lack of knowledge about these stocks you fail to understand the best feature of the SpecOps and the Mesa with Endine Buffer has nothing to do with recoil. It is the fact that when used properly they eliminate muzzle flip and you get back on tartget faster.

Vist the Blackhawk web site, click on stock then on SpecOps. Watch the video of the guy with the 870 with the SpecOps on it shooting against the semi-auto. Watch the barrel of the 870. See how the barrel stays parallel with the gound. Do you get it now? Also note he finishes first and stands there waiting for the guy with the semi to finish.

So, you are saying a man is an idiot to put a stock on his weapon that eliminates muzzle flip which allows him faster follow up shots in a fight, eats recoil and is adjustable for LOP. Also, as for your slam of "SpecOps Warriors". I find that an offensive and uncalled for. I have my custom builds being carried on duty by LEO's in 27 states. Many have the SpecOps and the Mesa stocks on them. These are Police, Deputies and other LEO's like the many DEA Agents using my weapons with those stocks on them. You insult these men who are out there on the front line.

As for the ability of these stock to reduce recoil. Yes they do. I am old now with tens of thousands of rounds down range in my life. I was foolish in my youth and have power lifted my entire life and I am now paying the price for that with bad shoulders. So using these stocks allows me to enjoy shooting and hunting. That does not make me an idiot WiskyT nor does it make me a "SpecOps Warrior". You are putting down an entire group of people based on what? I would like to know why you think this?

I didn't read your whole post, it was as silly as all your others to anyone else who disagrees with you. I was "out on the front line":upeyes: and never saw one of those specops stocks. We were "regular ops" guys in Navy blue woolies doing it without head to toe boddy armor or any fancy specops velcro crap. Sorry, BTDT, seen those "SWAT" wannabe's screw up more times than I can count. Very few of those "elite" units are truly elite. LAPD Metro and a few others, the rest are all nephews of the chief making sure they get in on all the OT recalls they can get and showing up after the job is over.

Now if you'l excuse me, I have to go iron on some more black velcro to my 5.11 pants.

WiskyT
02-10-2011, 15:08
WhiskyT,

I put a SpecOps stock on the 870 that I bought for my daughter, to help with recoil.
It WORKS!
She's a young, fairly lightweight young woman, that had never fired a shotgun, before I gave her this scattergun.
The SpecOps is so effective in reducing recoil, she used full-power 00B, slugs and heavy field loads, and LOVED every minute of it.
She fired over 250 rounds that first day, getting used to loading, shooting, reloading.
(I pity the fool that enters her house and tries to do her harm!)

This stock 'bit her' ONE time.
I then put the Blackhawk (Knoxx) "PowerPak" on the stock, and that problem was eliminated. Period.

She isn't an idiot, and neither am I. Also, neither of us are "SpecOps Warriors".
But I have put thousands of rounds (literally), of 12 ga ammo downrange.

I'm glad it works for her. I wouldn't deny or criticize her for using something that takes the bite out of the gun. I was commenting more on the snobbery displayed by some highly opinionated posters than I was on the stock itself.

jcbarlow
02-10-2011, 16:57
I've seen these at stores and online. ATI makes a few variations. Not sure if they are any good, but thought I would throw it out there and get some opinions. I've had a similar question as the OP.

jcbarlow
02-10-2011, 17:01
This seems to be what you're looking for:

http://www.atigunstocks.com/p-168-akita-adjustable-stock.aspx

Again, not sure if it's any good, but it does seem to fit the OP's desire to adjust LOP without a pistol grip. What say the collective group with experience?

aippi
02-10-2011, 17:09
No you were not commenting on the post of anyone Wisky, You were being a smart A and contributing nothing to the OP's question, NOTHING at all. Just some smart A comment about people who use recoil reducing stocks. You also know nothing about me as I am as anti Tacti-fool as anyone can be. You sir are offering nothing here, no advice to help the OP. And yet you inslut the guys who are. You are one of the problems with these types of gun blogs. Having the word "Malcontent" under your user name fits.

Eiter contribute to the post or stay out of it. People post a question for assistance, comments and things that can help them make a decision. Not for Smart A comment from people with nothing to contribute

Feanor
02-10-2011, 17:14
Feanor - you are telling the OP not to get the specops. Yet thousands of shooters use this stock every day with no issue. The method I describe on my web site is how to shoot the SpecOps and get the most out of it. It works. Are you calling me an internet gun expert and instulting me with that mess? I have a sucessfull gun business with a great reputation and I know the Remington shotgun as well as anyone on this blog. No, I warned the op that the stock is NOT for everybody! Yes, I am not impressed with your expertise, in my estimation, you are selling snake oil.

WiskyT
02-10-2011, 17:21
No you were not commenting on the post of anyone Wisky, You were being a smart A and contributing nothing to the OP's question, NOTHING at all. Just some smart A comment about people who use recoil reducing stocks. You also know nothing about me as I am as anti Tacti-fool as anyone can be. You sir are offering nothing here, no advice to help the OP. And yet you inslut the guys who are. You are one of the problems with these types of gun blogs. Having the word "Malcontent" under your user name fits.

Eiter contribute to the post or stay out of it. People post a question for assistance, comments and things that can help them make a decision. Not for Smart A comment from people with nothing to contribute

:rofl:You're too easy.

BTW, if you spent less time thinking of yourself and all of your personal alpha dominance peeing on the hyrdrant stuff, you would have noticed that I contributed my opinion that telescoping, shock absorber stocks are uneccessary, IMO, if one uses low recoil buckshot. The Remington 8 pellet load is similar to double AA target loads, maybe lighter.

BYF43 made a sound counter argument to my opinion, and I noted that as well. Not that his post needed any "approval" from me, I just wanted to recognize his opinion.

aippi
02-10-2011, 17:51
Feanor - you are correct. the stock is not for everyone. Some people don't follow directions well and think they can shoot it like a conventional stock. They should stick with conventional stocks. But you warned the OP off the SpecOps based on wrong information. The stock works fine. I am 5'5" and it works fine. My Daughter is 5'2" and shoots it fine. I have had clients here to test their own builds and many were short like me and they had no issues. Clients who have these stock post on my gues book how great the weapon are and not a single client has ever complained about either stock. That is hundreds of these stocks. Do you know hundreds of people who have them??? I do.... I can only respond to a post based on my knowledge of the subject and my knowledge is first hand, doing this every day for a living.

Your reason was wrong. It has nothing to do with someone height it has to do with shooting it correctly. That is why I posted the correct way to shoot it and not something I heard or read on another post. I posted the facts. And as for your insult about snake oil. All you have to do is read my web site and then try it with a specops. Then you can post what you found out. I all ready know that you have limited knowledge of stocks like the SpecOps or Mesa as your information on them was incorrect. You said you have seen people, means plural, get their teeth knocked out. After having seen this you really should check out my method so when at the range you can tell them the right way to shoot it and you will not have to witness anyone else getting their teeth knock out............ And by the way, no body has ever e-mailed me or call that this does not work and is not the correct way to shoot this stock. Yet dozens e-mail or call to thank me. So be a sport and try it before you knock it.

I see your other post and you know you way around firearms but you missed the boat on this topic. Could you even stop for a second and think that you simply did not understand how the stock works and how to shoot it?

05DodgeDakota
02-10-2011, 19:16
aippi do you have any experience with the Mako vs the knoxx and Mesa?

Uncle T-bone
02-11-2011, 04:56
aippi do you have any experience with the Mako vs the knoxx and Mesa?

JD's a little busy right now, he's writing up orders for WiskyT and Feanor...

aippi
02-11-2011, 08:57
I have never seen the Mako stock. There is a lot of good stuff out there and if you start another thread about that stock you will get some good info from guys that have them. This thread here went south fast and hopefully only people that have input about the Mako will post in. I have never even seen one so have nothing to offer on that thread.

And I am never to busy to answer questions about shotguns, even from guys who know more then I do. Heck, I learn as much or more talking to people who call me then they do from me most of the time.

WiskyT
02-11-2011, 14:54
JD's a little busy right now, he's writing up orders for WiskyT and Feanor...

:rofl: