Rate the 1911 magazine companies in order [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Rate the 1911 magazine companies in order

u4ea
02-06-2011, 16:10
I am searching for "the one" 1911, but I figure I might as well buy magazines in the mean time. Hopefully I can get a good number of them on hand for when I finally get my gun. Who makes the best magazine for 1911s and why? I see a lot of people buying Wilson mags and claim they're as good as it gets.

R0CKETMAN
02-06-2011, 16:19
No order
Wilson ETM
CMC power mag+
Tripp
Checkmate

Rimcrew
02-06-2011, 16:21
Take this to the bank:

Tripp

All the others, period. :supergrin:

eljay45
02-06-2011, 16:22
Wilson , Tripp, McCormick, Metalform all get good reviews from most.Many say Kimber mags suck but they work fine for me. I'd suggest you buy the gun first, it may not like the mags you buy.

GJ1981
02-06-2011, 16:23
There isn't a "one," at least I haven't found one yet.

I like CMC's Power Mag, why? Good performance, good tubes, and fair price.

Wilson's are good with the similar qualities of the CMC, but I've found their springs to wear out much faster. My ETM's already need new springs, and I think they use one-off springs, but I may be wrong?

Tripp Cobras are highly suggested, but I haven't used them long enough to really say if they are worth the extra $. The have a longer body, great follower, and strong springs.

I've had good luck with ACT mags recently. They had been known to crack feed lips fairly easily, don't know if that is still a problem or not.

Happy Hunting
02-06-2011, 16:27
47DC in the holster, 47D(x2) on the belt. Never gone wrong with any of those unlike the colt mags. I have since gotten a spring and follower from Wilson for the Colts and haven't had a problem with them so this may be a cheaper fix than you think.

glock2740
02-06-2011, 16:31
Tie for first place - Wilson and Tripp Cobra. All the rest don't matter.

FLIPPER 348
02-06-2011, 16:36
The best brand of 1911 magazine is the one that works best in your 1911.

Ruggles
02-06-2011, 16:37
Never ever never gonna get a consensus on this :)

I think the top tier mags are pretty much equal and may or may not work the best in a particular 1911.

I use Wilson & Ed Brown randomly and feel as good about either. Tripp is suppose to be pretty good as well.

ThreadKiller
02-06-2011, 16:43
As far as 8 round mags go, there are none better than the Tripp CobraMag. I'm talking reliability and durability here. I don't care for the Tripp mag as a carry mag, as the plastic baseplate is too wide IMHO. I see now that Tripp makes a metal baseplate but I've no experience with them so I can't comment.

The Wilson 8 rounders are good mags, but the springs are pathetic. I'm not wild about the all plastic follower either. Wilson will send you the parts to overhaul 'em but I'd rather not deal with it.

What I do, is put the Tripp conversion kits in the Wilson bodies with the steel base plate. This makes the ideal carry mag IMHO. Durable, flat and reliable. The conversion reduces capacity by 1 round but I can live with that. I'll trade one round for compactness (flatness) and reliability.

Geeorge
02-06-2011, 18:14
Colt
Scoville
Risdon
General Shaver
Little

of the ones I own

JK-linux
02-06-2011, 18:19
I've had excellent luck with Colt 8 round magazines that use the "newer" follower and lips. I'm sure someone else will say they suck. Anyhow, try some, keep the ones that work for you and sell the rest to someone else who has better luck with that brand.

Wilson magazines work as well as Colts for me, but since the Colts do the job for roughly half the price (YMMV), I mostly buy Colt magazines.

CMC magazines also seem to work as well as the above two, but I've only owned one so I have limited experience with them. Thus, I can't recommend them one way or another.

cdunn
02-06-2011, 18:21
I use Brown, Wilson, Tripp,Nighthawk,CMC,whoever makes mags. for S&W and Cerberus Cer Tac mags. and I've never had any issues with any.But my kimber 9mm mags were junk.

okie
02-06-2011, 19:02
Tripp and Wilson ETM:supergrin::wavey:

BuckyP
02-06-2011, 19:08
What I do, is put the Tripp conversion kits in the Wilson bodies with the steel base plate. This makes the ideal carry mag IMHO. Durable, flat and reliable. The conversion reduces capacity by 1 round but I can live with that. I'll trade one round for compactness (flatness) and reliability.

Why not just use the Tripp 7 round mag? That is what I am using.

samuse
02-06-2011, 19:24
Colt
Scoville
Risdon
General Shaver
Little

of the ones I own

Looks like you understand the platform.

You should check out the Checkmate G.I. spec mags.:wavey:

ThreadKiller
02-07-2011, 08:43
Why not just use the Tripp 7 round mag? That is what I am using.

Already had a bunch o' Wilson's on hand so the Tripp conversion was very easy to implement (and cheaper!) The Wilson mag bodies are excellent quality so they're a very good candidate for the conversion.

I bought the Tripp 8 rounders for range work. They've made several trips to TR, a MAG40 class with Mas Ayoob, some local training events, all my personal training range work and have run flawlessly.

Occasionally one will fail to drop out after it gets gunked up with bullet lube but that's easily corrected. I don't consider that the fault of the mag. Just the operator. :)

tango44
02-07-2011, 09:06
Wilsons and CMC for me!

youngAR
02-07-2011, 09:18
The best brand of 1911 magazine is the one that works best in your 1911.

Winner! I have mix of mags that include Colt, Wilson, and Springfield factory with Tripp upgrades. All work in my Valor and S.A. GI. CMC Powermags didn't work in my other 1911 but it's gone. I'll buy some of the new black ones soon.

TSAX
02-07-2011, 13:44
Chip Power 10's. On sale you can get them for $25 for 10 rounders can beat that. The Wilson 47's are great but around $35 to $40 for 1.........

CAcop
02-07-2011, 14:26
Metalform 7 rounders.
Wilson 8 Govt and 7 Ofc.
CMC 8 and 10.
Colt 7 and 8.
Random mags from God knows where from a used gun.

Not in that particular order. Stragely I have had problems with Wilsons and had none with some random mags. My Metalform 7 rounders have been flawless though. That is why I often tell people to get a Springfield loaded as their first 1911 because the coupon lets them buy 10 mags (last I checked) for a real cheap price.

G36_Me
02-07-2011, 18:18
first let me say, I've never had an issue with any of my .45 mags.
I have Colt, Kimber and Ed Brown mags.

For no intelligent reason, since none of the mags have ever failed me, I like the Ed Brown mags the best. I like the follower configuration on the EB.

Maybe this weekend I'll buy some crap .45 mags at the gun show and see if they fail, but I doubt it.

Z28ricer
02-07-2011, 18:27
Kimber tacmag for mine for carry

wilson as a spare

No issues with either, I think the original that came with the gun is around collecting rust somewhere.

rsxr22
02-07-2011, 19:23
I have had equally good success with
Wilson
CMC
Tripp
Dawson
Metalform

ajstrider
02-09-2011, 04:06
Years ago when I actually had a Kimber 1911, I found success with the Wilson Combat 47D 8 round magazines, so I never looked for anything else. They are sold at quite a few places too, so they are easy to come by. I also recommend buying the gun first, some guns may like some mags.

RMA
02-09-2011, 06:07
I always have loved CMC Power Plus mags personally. Never had an issue & I also have a couple of CMC Power mags with 7 round Tripps follow kits & they perform excellent as well. I also agree with GJ1981 in regards to ACT mags, they perform really well also. I do plan to try out the new black anodized CMC Power mags that will be released very shortly.

A6Gator
02-09-2011, 06:47
Not sure which caliber your looking at for your 1911, but my best luck in .45 has been with Wilson 47D and ETM. Haven't used any Tripp mags. In 9mm, Metalform and Wilson ETMs have been flawless. Had some Chip McCormick Power Mags that worked for awhile, but after getting dropped alot doing reloads they started hanging up as the feed lips spread.

El_Ron1
02-09-2011, 07:13
Colt stamped Metalforms be very, very good to me. The same mags without the stamped base plate as well.

picturethis
02-09-2011, 13:03
My Pro will be coming with 6 mags, which is awesome. Even better is that they're apparently tuned to the individual gun.

My question is, what's the biggest magazine available for the 1911? Is there anything even close to 15 or so? I know it's a single stack so it'd hang out like crazy, but even a 33 rounder for a Glock hangs out a good bit.

tx787
02-09-2011, 13:22
I've had no problems using Wilson magazines and see no reason to try anything else personally.

den888
02-09-2011, 22:19
Colt and Metalform