Lasers and Glocks [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lasers and Glocks

HotRoderX
02-06-2011, 17:43
So how many of you out there have a laser on your Glock. I know I was looking at one when I first got my pistol but after seeing how much the spring mounted lasers cost I think I would rather spend a little more and get another gun so Just curious how many of you use lasers out there and what are your experiences with them

bustedknee
02-06-2011, 18:28
I have one in my G33.

When new, it would turn itself on and off during firing and the red dot was getting dimmer.

Cleaning and new batteries did not fix it.

I returned it to the factory and they promptly sent me a new one.

This one functions properly.

Cost? Whatever the cost, I'm worth it.

I want every advantage available to me.

texas 48
02-06-2011, 21:19
I have one in my G33.

When new, it would turn itself on and off during firing and the red dot was getting dimmer.

Cleaning and new batteries did not fix it.

I returned it to the factory and they promptly sent me a new one.

This one functions properly.

Cost? Whatever the cost, I'm worth it.

I want every advantage available to me.

I want every edge. Lasers help put a round on target when you are down or in a less than perfect shooting position. A red dot on a threats chest may deter an attack with out having to fire. As we age eyes and reflexes decline. IMO a laser may somewhat offset the effects of aging. I have one on every handgun I own. I and my loved ones are worth it.

JDinNC
02-06-2011, 22:05
I use a Streamlight TLR2. Its a white light and laser. Forget the price. I've had it for a couple years and its still on its original batteries. (laser uses very little power.) I swap it between my G17 22 and 21. The switches are very positive. Screws on tight with a coin or similar tool. 3 pos switch for light, laser, or both. I highly recommend it.

swinokur
02-06-2011, 22:23
On my G29SF I have an Insight M6X LED light / laser combo which I use for HD and remove the light for carry.

I have a G30 with Crimson Trace Laser grips and a Surefire X300 weapon light. It is mainly a BUG to my G29 but a nice feature is I can remove the X300 and go out with the laser grips still installed.

The only reason I did not do it this way with my G29SF is Crimson Trace is not making LG's for the smaller SF pistols. Hopefully they will because being able to remove the light and keep the laser grips seems like a flexible system for carry. I carry a separate Surefire E2D

Streetking
02-06-2011, 22:27
I own two lazers. one is on a Kimber .45 and the other on a BerettaFS92. they certainly give yo advantage. I highly recommend you get one for your glock

HK45Mark23
02-06-2011, 22:34
LaserMax!!!

It is a great training tool as well as good for the times when proper sight picture can't be acquired. Also believe it or not some people will get more aggressive just seeing your gun. A laser dot on ones chest does have a psychological effect, usually defusing the situation.

There are advantages to using a laser. I believe that the LaserMax is the best choice. They use Wolff springs, they are the closest to the bore being that they replace the guide rod. The factory guide rod is plastic; they are much stronger than the factory guide rod.

They do not add extra bulk requiring a special holster as the guns over all shape and size does not change because they are internal.

LaserMax has been around for over 17 years. I know because I have had one of every Glock I have owned and I have been carrying since1994. They were a well established company when I started using them.

Every advantage is a bennifit and even if you don’t need it it is there.

LaserMax only turns on when you want it to and the activation switch is exactly where you finger should be indexing during your draw, so you can activate it before you are on target.

alba666
02-06-2011, 22:37
I have a Gen 1 Viridian X5L on the Gen4 Glock 22. I can move it to the Glock 23 when I feel like it. Just got it back from Viridian after failure 13 months after purchase (1 year warranty). Cost me nada plus they included 2 batteries and a hat. No hassle at all. Only delay was since it didn't make it to QC check before the Shot show.

NY Glock
02-06-2011, 22:42
I have the Streamlight TLR2 on my G21sf

TSAX
02-07-2011, 00:43
The Streamlight TLR-2s is about $250, pretty good deal vs the Surefire X400 $460.

Havasu
02-07-2011, 01:05
I have a Laserlyte on my G19 and it is a great tool. The Crimson Trace changes the grip and I have heard horror stories about the LaserMax. I also have an aversion to replacing a functional part of the pistol that can make it inoperable if it fails.
Mine has been 100% reliable. Since it replaces the rear sight you must sight in the gun, but after that just adjust the laser to match the open sights and you,re done. Reasonably priced, too.

Aaron1100us
02-07-2011, 01:18
A co-worker showed me the Lasermax Saber on the internet. Previously, I was thinking about getting the usual weapon light with lazer. But with those, the laser beam is a distance away from the barrel. With the Lasermax Saber, the laser beam is right next to the barrel. Just squeezing the grip turns on the laser.

HK45Mark23
02-07-2011, 05:08
OOOOH horror stories. Yeah I have heard them too, but up on investigation I learn that they mostly are comprised in operator error via improper installation.

How one can improperly install one I'll never figure that out, the directions are quite clear.

Ok ok so give some one bad advice based on a story you have heard.

The LaserMax is the best laser on the market bar none. I am not saying that the other lasers are bad, but LaserMax was the first and is the oldest. The LaserMax guide rod laser rules. Nothing is wrong with the others but they are not as high of quality and they don’t provide the features and benefits that the internal Guide Rod LaserMax provides.

I have owned almost 20 LaserMax guide rod lasers over approximately 17 years. I was thought how to install them and service them in 1994 by a Certified Glock Armorer. I was lucky enough to live next to an man who was certified.

Once showed the proper installation they work flawlessly. I have only had one to have any problems. I had a spring with a spur on it that scraped the guide rod housing a little. Sent it in to LM and they replaced it.

This defect in the spring didn’t affect the function, only the aesthetics. So what there were no failures or faults, just a funny spring issue that never caused any failures or alignment issues. Why do people bash LaserMax so much?

Anyway if you have actually had a personal experience the please tell your story, I know there are those who have had problems. If you have not any personal experiences then why spew hearsay?

RayB
02-07-2011, 16:28
G17: LaserMax Uni-Green, rail-mounted laser. It's a hungry little devil, but that green beam is the bee's knees for 24-hour visibility! Love it!

G19: LaserMax guide rod laser. Flawless! The battery life is outstanding too!

G21: LaserMax guide rod laser. Occasionally turns itself on when firing (NBD to me), otherwise flawless! I wish they made a green one!

LaserMax Sabre: Tried one. Slick little gizmo! But the design is not optimal for my large hands, so I gave it to a friend for his 1st Gen G17; he likes it!

--Ray

RayB
02-07-2011, 17:02
I just wanted to chime in on some of the things you've mentioned...

The installation of the guide rod lasers is very straight-forward, and if a person has the least bit of mechanical savvy, and can pay attention to a few small details, and has a little better than girly-strength hands and fingers :tongueout: , they should have no problems with installation! :thumbsup:

We had a faulty guide rod laser right out of the box. Since it was brand new, I returned it to MidwayUSA and had a replacement within a week. That was 2006... Thousands of rounds later, the replacement has proved flawless. Defects happen. We once had a brand new VW Jetta delivered with all four wheels out of alignment! :dunno:

I've never had a LaserMax guide rod component fail. Rather, I've replaced components, such as recoil springs and battery caps, as a maintenance protocol.

The guide rod lasers do have zero impact on the gun's ergonomics! The guide rod is the laser, and the slide lock becomes the activation switch! How tricked out is that! :supergrin:

With regard to the guide rod as an internal component, I never considered the OEM recoil spring and guide rod assembly to be all that impressive--aside from the spring, it's all plastic! Yet, I've never had an OEM guide rod fail... The LaserMax guide rod is steel... Another thing I like is that the OEM guide rod can be popped right in for range practice! :cool:

Instant-on is a great feature on a CCW or BUG, no question. But I prefer deliberate activation on a bedside weapon. At any rate, activating the LaserMax guide rod laser is no worse than flipping off a safety, or switching on a weapon light! One needs to practice until it becomes reflex. Note: The guide rod lasers are much easier to activate with a round chambered, and the gun set to fire.

The Uni-Max (and Uni-Green) design is also very clever! The integral accessory rail does not preclude the use of most weapon lights. The ambidextrous activation switch is right where it should be. And the laser can be used on any rail-equipped weapon. At well under $200.00 delivered, the Uni-Max is a great value too! I've got the green version, and I love that thing!

Lasers do indeed fast-track a new shooter's trigger skills. I've seen it time and again at the range! The laser makes any aiming and shooting corrections instinctive, like throwing and catching a ball! People improve very quickly with a laser on a gun, and that improvement carry's over to aiming and shooting with the gun's open sights as well! ;)

--Ray

P.S. LaserMax's customer service is first-rate too!

HotRoderX
02-07-2011, 17:08
Yall are making it Extremely hard for me to continue justifying not getting one I been told the new gen 4 guide rod lasers will be out this summer and it might just be one of them Items I add to my get list >.<.....

Brian Lee
02-07-2011, 17:27
I've got a LaserMax Uni-Green and it worked for only a short time before it suddenly quit and I sent it back for replacement. Good thing Laser Max customer service is VERY good - gotta give 'em that. Got the replacement unit, used for only a couple of range sessions, and then it quit too. Sent it back again and this time they fixed it and returned the same one to me, with a note that a wire had fallen off internally and needed re-soldered. It still works so far, but has had almost no use since then, so we'll see how it goes.

Green is easier to see in dim lighting than red for sure, but if I'd known how nearly invisible it is in outdoor sunlight, I'd have never spent the money. Unless the lighting is dim enough to see a red one fairly well, the green is going to be almost as hard to see.

The Uni-Green also has temperature limitations - like all green lasers do - that cause it to become a lot dimmer below about 45 degrees, or above about 90, which is another "Green" disadvantage I didn't know about (and they don't tell you about in the ads) that red lasers do not have - and which would have stopped me from spending the money, since I'm outside a lot when the temperatures are NOT within the limits a green laser needs to be working at it's best. And what's the use in having a green laser if the weather is too hot or too cold to actually make the thing brighter than a red one?

But under the shade of a tree, when it's 70 degrees outside, they're great lasers! Just don't expect much out in the snow when there's no shade, and try no to live in a hot climate, and you'll be happy with a Uni-Green..... OK, except for the flimsy battery cover with only one screw in it that threads into nothing but plastic, and the poorly designed on-off switch that lets dirt get into it way too easily. But other than all of this stuff, it's a great laser........

HK45Mark23
02-07-2011, 21:52
I also have an Uni-Max mounted on a PWC 15.5" shotgun, 6.5" barrle. I agree that the one screw concept should be rethought. I use a remote switch on my grip. I have to say that the little gun exhibits alot of recoil and that the Uni-Max has performed flawlessly for a few hunderd 2 3/4 and 3" rounds of 00 buck shot. I have no experiance with the Green Lasers, and I am glad to hear of their limitations, thanks Brian!!! Amen RayB

RayB
02-08-2011, 00:28
Hey, Brian! :wavey:

I had forgotten about your less-than-perfect experience with your LaserMax LMS-UNI-G, a/k/a Uni-Green laser...

Mine performed flawlessly through two range trips, one with my G17 and the other with my G21 in 10 mm mode; and I shoot Double Tap's sizzling 135 grain 10 mm Noslers exclusively. The laser gave no problems and held zero. :thumbsup:

As to the brightness, to my eyes it's far brighter than the red guide rod lasers, which are also perfectly bright enough for indoor and low light use. For instance, the green laser dot alongside the red laser dot, as shown on my neighbor's siding in ambient daylight, is easily visible, whereas the red laser is much harder to pick up under those conditions, if you can find it at all... In fact, the green laser is so bright, it describes a traceable beam in clear outdoor air at night; that's why green lasers are popular for teaching astronomy! Of course, as a tactical consideration, a traceable beam back to the shooter might not be desirable... I live in Wiskonsin, one of only two states with No CCW provision, and No Castle Doctrine, so it would be highly unlikely that I'd pursue any intruder outdoors... And I shoot at an indoor range exclusively... So I guess our needs are quite different. :dunno:

I see what you're saying about the switch and the elements too... I've had motorcycles that had headlight and turn signal switches that were open to the elements; it always bugged me but they never gave any problems; I'd shoot a little WD40 into the switches during maintenance...

As to the battery cover, I agree. Since I mount a weapon light over it, I'm not concerned with it falling off, but I'd like to see the screw thread into metal, as it does on the LaserMax Sabre.

The temperature thingy is a reality for the present semiconductor-based green lasers. For reasons I'm not clear on, they apparently can't get a green LED to lase. Red LEDs can lase. Blue LEDs can lase. Green LEDs do not lase. It's my understanding that the Uni-Green works by amping up an infrared semiconductive laser into the green frequencies, hence the greater power consumption. I guess the tighter temperature tolerances are part of that too. :headscratch:

For those that plan to mount a weapon light, know that the SureFire X200s A&B would not achieve lock-up beneath the Uni-Green on our G17, G19, or G21, as the lamp's body is too long and runs into the forward curving trigger guard. This would apply to the new X300 as well... Happily, I found that the shorter bodied Streamlight XTI Procyon locks up nicely, as would the WX150 and several other weapon lights, including the TLR-1.

Since I got my Uni-Green as a gift, I was spared the sting of the retail price. I suppose that does affect my attitude! ;) I can tell you're not a happy camper... :sadangel:

At any rate, you've pointed out some important considerations and areas for the OEM to improve upon!

I don't know that another green laser, such as a Viridian model, would meet your direct sunlight in the snow, and operating temperature expectations any better. Clearly, the technology has a ways to go.

My own review of the LaserMax Uni-Green can be found here:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1200047

I also wrote a review of the LaserMax Sabre, which can be found here:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12654888#post12654888

--Ray

old wanderer
02-12-2011, 01:00
OK.....OK ....enough already....:crying:

2 years ago I bought a laser max guide rod unit for my G20c. The I started shooting it a bunch, and using DT ammo, and forgot about the laser max. (Forgot I even had it until I was reading this thread. )

Guess I was concerned about breaking it...but it was buried in some box in a room I never use, until I went and got it after reading all this. Why should I care if it breaks,,,it is not doing me any good sitting in a box.

The G20c shoots fine, changed the sights to some tritium ghost ring things, and been pretty happy with the gun. The harder one is the G29,

I carry a Kimber CT Ultra, so am used to the laser. This weekend that will be a project to get done, is just to install this my my G20.

As to the green lasers....Love them. I have some military power ones on my Bennelli, and on my zombie gun (KelTec PLR-16 with 4 30 rnd mags hanging off it). Both have the Green laser, which is really bright, but at this strength will blind a person for 10 minutes or so. Perfect for unwanted household guest. Does no permanent damage. There is also a super bright white light on each gun that modulates on/off several times a second.

So as you say, the green laser does show your position, but if the person is blinded for a bit, doesn't really matter, plus if they are armed, they have a distinct handicap in shooting ability.

What is that old saying, young men win with strength and agility, old me do it with experience and trickery.

reloader
02-12-2011, 01:57
CT on G17..2 more going on my G30's..Also have them on S&W 642 ans S&W 629.