Tromix vs Red Jacket [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tromix vs Red Jacket

ATL_GLOCK
02-07-2011, 12:13
SO I'm in serious want of a SBS S17 Saiga from Tromix, but alas they have none available and are basically backed up for "years" technically on builds...getting your name on a build list currently would be like winning the lotto...

So not wanting to pay a 80-100% mark up and buying one from a random dealer on gunbroker, I decided to contact Red Jacket as they have a similarly outfitted saiga sbs called the RTS- ZK-12.

Opinions wanted here:

So what would those who have had either or work done by either recommend? Wait for Tromix to come around and hope that it happens before the ATF bans Saigs. Or just go for the Red Jacket based on availability and a similar type build?

Thanks!

grecco
02-07-2011, 12:26
Get it while you can.

LEAD
02-07-2011, 12:38
Red Jacket is a very good company to have build you a Saiga12. One thing to know is that they are in the TV show Sons Of Guns, so I suspect their build times will increase as they get more publicity and spend more time doing the TV thing.

Raleigh Glocker
02-07-2011, 12:44
SO I'm in serious want of a SBS S17 Saiga from Tromix, but alas they have none available and are basically backed up for "years" technically on builds...getting your name on a build list currently would be like winning the lotto...

No longer accurate. Tromix takes new orders on the 1st of every month. His current turn-around for basic conversions is 60 days and up to 90 days for more customized stuff. He won't take orders that he can't finish up in that time frame.

Most people log into his website right before midnight, and place their orders as soon as the clock strikes 12. From what I've read, the last two order periods didn't fill until at least 11am, so I wouldn't classify that as "winning the lotto"-type odds of getting a Tromix in 60-90 days.
;)

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=62638

rjrivero
02-07-2011, 13:05
I'd be happy with an SBS built by either Tromix or Red Jacket. For that matter, I'd also be happy with one from Cadiz Gun Works, who is the authorized warranty center for Saiga 12 imports.

Any of the 3 would be very much at home in my safe.

ATL_GLOCK
02-07-2011, 14:14
No longer accurate. Tromix takes new orders on the 1st of every month. His current turn-around for basic conversions is 60 days and up to 90 days for more customized stuff. He won't take orders that he can't finish up in that time frame.

Most people log into his website right before midnight, and place their orders as soon as the clock strikes 12. From what I've read, the last two order periods didn't fill until at least 11am, so I wouldn't classify that as "winning the lotto"-type odds of getting a Tromix in 60-90 days.
;)

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=62638

ahh very good! Now I see how this works! Looks like I might have a shot at it next month!

Louisville Glocker
02-07-2011, 17:29
Yeah, I thought about having Tromix build something for me (feb 1 just passed), but I ended up buying some parts and gonna' do it myself. The conversion really doesn't look too bad.

Parts showed up today. Shotgun (Saiga 12) arrived at the UPS Louisville depot today, so should make it to my FFL tomorrow...whoo hooo...

Should be complete in a few days!

DaGroaner
02-07-2011, 17:34
I'd be happy with an SBS built by either Tromix or Red Jacket. For that matter, I'd also be happy with one from Cadiz Gun Works, who is the authorized warranty center for Saiga 12 imports.

Any of the 3 would be very much at home in my safe.

^^This.^^

Scattergun1187
02-07-2011, 18:05
I have a Red Jacket S-12 SBS 8" with Up sweep Gail charging handle, HK Sights and Tromix limbsaver stock. And it is top notch. I went with Red Jacker due to Tromix's waiting list.
If you go with Red Jacket you will not be disappointed.

DD26
02-07-2011, 20:56
You literally can't go wrong with either Tromix or Red Jacket. I say go with whoever can get it back to you and has the right price.

Both Tony (Tromix) and Will (Red Jacket) are top quality Saiga converters and both have a mutual respect for eachother. Tony is actually down at Will's shop right now working on something with Red Jacket, according to Will on the Saiga boards.

So price them out and see who's got the quickest turn-around right now and go with them. Quality will be equal between the two.

ATL_GLOCK
02-08-2011, 07:40
I have a Red Jacket S-12 SBS 8" with Up sweep Gail charging handle, HK Sights and Tromix limbsaver stock. And it is top notch. I went with Red Jacker due to Tromix's waiting list.
If you go with Red Jacket you will not be disappointed.

Who did you contact about getting that done? I sent a business inquiry to them via email but never heard back. I'll probably call today. I would have called yesterday but was tied up in meetings all day and it's sometimes hard to step into the hallway to try and talk about a SBS assault weapon without sounding the alarms within the office! lol

Raleigh Glocker
02-08-2011, 08:42
Who did you contact about getting that done? I sent a business inquiry to them via email but never heard back. I'll probably call today. I would have called yesterday but was tied up in meetings all day and it's sometimes hard to step into the hallway to try and talk about a SBS assault weapon without sounding the alarms within the office! lol

MAA shows one in stock right now for $2119. No wait except for NFA:
http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/red-jacket-firearms-saiga-12-short-barrel-shotgun-zk12-p-1262.html

In fact, if you look around, quite a few vendors have ready-to-shoot conversions from great companies already in stock. You might have to pay a premium, but they will be GTG right away.

ATL_GLOCK
02-08-2011, 09:42
MAA shows one in stock right now for $2119. No wait except for NFA:
http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/red-jacket-firearms-saiga-12-short-barrel-shotgun-zk12-p-1262.html

In fact, if you look around, quite a few vendors have ready-to-shoot conversions from great companies already in stock. You might have to pay a premium, but they will be GTG right away.

I've seen that. The thing is I already went and bought a saiga 12 at a great price that i was going to provide to save some cost there...plus that's not even the cost for the gun pictured in the link...they tack on another $300-400 in options to make it that.

mdfd
02-08-2011, 09:56
I've seen that. The thing is I already went and bought a saiga 12 at a great price that i was going to provide to save some cost there...plus that's not even the cost for the gun pictured in the link...they tack on another $300-400 in options to make it that.

you can always sell your stock saiga....if I was in the same market as you, I'd get an entire package (base gun included) from one of the professional conversions. Their base gun, their package, their problem if there are any issues.....

Glockdude1
02-08-2011, 09:59
Tony Rumore (owner of Tromix) is a GT member.

PM him and find out how long it would take to get one of his shotguns.

http://www.tromix.com

:cool:

ATL_GLOCK
02-08-2011, 10:09
Tony Rumore (owner of Tromix) is a GT member.

PM him and find out how long it would take to get one of his shotguns.

http://www.tromix.com

:cool:

I've emailed him....He's taking orders again on March 1st..then it's a 60-90day wait... or possibly sooner depending on your cue in the order status.

ATL_GLOCK
02-08-2011, 12:45
well i've called and emailed Red Jacket and left voicemails...with no one getting back to me...at least Tony was able to respond to me emails same day. What's the point of RJ having a huge facility they show off on the show if no one can even answer a damn phone??? I'm going to go with Tromix and I'll just order with them on the 1st of March.

ATL_GLOCK
02-11-2011, 13:34
well after trying to call E-Tac, Red Jacket, Tromix, Cadiz, Peach State guns, and so on I finally got one to call to me back!

And the build list I'm on now is........drum roll please:

RED JACKET!

Bout freaking time. I've never tried so hard in my life to spend $2k.

Build time is 12-14 weeks...whatever I dont even care..I've got paper work and stuff to do in the meanwhile

DaGroaner
02-11-2011, 20:01
well after trying to call E-Tac, Red Jacket, Tromix, Cadiz, Peach State guns, and so on I finally got one to call to me back!

And the build list I'm on now is........drum roll please:

RED JACKET!

Bout freaking time. I've never tried so hard in my life to spend $2k.

Build time is 12-14 weeks...whatever I dont even care..I've got paper work and stuff to do in the meanwhile

You're going to be very happy.

holesinpaper
02-12-2011, 20:59
When it comes to customer service Tromix is Soup Nazi.

Also their work really isn't that good imho. Yes they were 'the first' to do a lot of stuff, at one point they were innovative, and they did help the Saiga platform... but others have now far surpassed what Tromix is capable of.

Go with Red Jacket. They make great stuff.

Or better yet, go with Estaban. Their work is fantastic imho, far better than Tromix. Their customer service rocks too. Polite, informative, etc. Unfortunately last I checked they also had a long wait line.

ATL_GLOCK
02-14-2011, 07:14

Also their work really isn't that good imho. Yes they were 'the first' to do a lot of stuff, at one point they were innovative, and they did help the Saiga platform... but others have now far surpassed what Tromix is capable of.

Or better yet, go with Estaban. Their work is fantastic imho, far better than Tromix. Their customer service rocks too. Polite, informative, etc. Unfortunately last I checked they also had a long wait line.

I tried to go with Estaban at Etac (gogun)....same thing...super busy with a limited response. Even with me telling them I wanted to have them do it and have money in hand, I dont get a response. I'm still waiting on the stupid invoice from Red Jacket...I cant even send in my gun or payment with out it!....

ATL_GLOCK
02-14-2011, 09:30
of course after i posted that this morning I got a call from Stephanie about my order and they completed it. Now I gotta send in my Saiga and in a few weeks I'll have my bad boy boy ready to go...hoping to look like this when done...

http://www.redjacketfirearms.com/images/ZK_12_GA.jpg

DD26
02-14-2011, 12:04

Wow, knocking Tromix's CS and then saying GoGun has good CS. No offense, but that's hilarious. Go check out the Saiga boards and search around for some of the posts speaking of GoGun's CS. It leaves a lot to be desired, to say the least. On top of that, pretty much every single product they make is overpriced. Everything's small, made from aluminum and EXPENSIVE. $70 for a tiny thumb rest. Yeah, sure, sounds great.:upeyes:

ATL_GLOCK
02-16-2011, 08:46
yeah i'm happy with my choice. Sent the saiga in and now i play the waiting game

docwade
02-19-2011, 21:18
I like red jacket's stuff. Base conversions aren't terribly overpriced. I don't dig a lot of the writing on his show, but I still watch.

ATL_GLOCK
02-22-2011, 07:47
I like red jacket's stuff. Base conversions aren't terribly overpriced. I don't dig a lot of the writing on his show, but I still watch.

Yeah the writing is god awful! But I still find their country antics funny. And I feel they run a good shop....enough to spend some good $$ with them on my conversion!

mdfd
02-23-2011, 10:23
wow, I asked the same "Tromix vs. Red Jacket" question on the S12 forum a while ago and didn't get as many responses as here....at least the responses I got wre consistent with here though....you realy can't go wrong with either one!

docwade
02-23-2011, 21:19
True, true. But then again, there's nothing like doing your own, well aside from some of the fitting headaches that go along with it. I'm sick enough to have built 4 S12s and a 410.

ATL_GLOCK
03-01-2011, 08:02
True, true. But then again, there's nothing like doing your own, well aside from some of the fitting headaches that go along with it. I'm sick enough to have built 4 S12s and a 410.

Yeah I dont have the time, patience, or the tools to do it...nor do I know how to weld properly. I figured I'd leave this one up to the pros....

The guys at RedJacket do seem to have some issues with organization. I've gotten calls from many different people within their company all asking me what's going on with the gun....and I reply "shouldnt you already know this?"

They were asking me to pay for it the other day, but I paid for it before I even sent in my rifle, they never sent me an invoice so I gave them exact time and day and ref # from my bank with the payment in full...I also reminded the idiot I spoke with that since it's an NFA item RJ requires it be paid in full in advance.

ANYWAYS>>>> hope these guys build quality is better than their customer service which is severely lacking

Raleigh Glocker
03-01-2011, 14:19
That's interesting. Very similar to the disorganization I know a lot of people experience[d] with E-TAC. I think Red Jacket has a much better reputation for getting the job done, though things are certainly different for them now that they have the increase in demand created by their show.

Louisville Glocker
03-01-2011, 20:37
Having just gotten through my first conversion, I must say I'm glad I did it myself. True, it isn't as slick as the pros could do it, but I can say I did it myself. Plus, I get to know my gun a bit better. The substantial financial savings is just icing on the cake...

(Oh, and I'm much faster than those guys too..haha)

ATL_GLOCK
03-02-2011, 07:18
Having just gotten through my first conversion, I must say I'm glad I did it myself. True, it isn't as slick as the pros could do it, but I can say I did it myself. Plus, I get to know my gun a bit better. The substantial financial savings is just icing on the cake...

(Oh, and I'm much faster than those guys too..haha)

yeah but but with the 8in build I'm having them do, there is too much tweaking and parts adjusted and moved for me to do just a simple "standard conversion"

Raleigh Glocker
03-02-2011, 07:35
While I was waiting for my gun from Craig (now Red Letter Industries), I bought a 109BHO from K-VAR. I just did the conversion myself last night, including polishing the carrier, bolt, and hammer to match my RLI gun. I guess the difference is that I know that my RLI gun is dependable, and my 109BHO will have to earn my trust, so to speak.

Another $400 of parts, welding, and cerakoting, though, and they'd be hard to tell from each other. That puts my DIY savings at about $700.

I agree with ATL_GLOCK- I'd never attempt any SBS myself. WAY too much to go wrong in getting an 8-incher to work.

ATL_GLOCK
03-02-2011, 07:40
While I was waiting for my gun from Craig (now Red Letter Industries), I bought a 109BHO from K-VAR. I just did the conversion myself last night, including polishing the carrier, bolt, and hammer to match my RLI gun. I guess the difference is that I know that my RLI gun is dependable, and my 109BHO will have to earn my trust, so to speak.

Another $400 of parts, welding, and cerakoting, though, and they'd be hard to tell from each other. That puts my DIY savings at about $700.

I agree with ATL_GLOCK- I'd never attempt any SBS myself. WAY too much to go wrong in getting an 8-incher to work.

well unfortunately I didnt have the foresight to buy another Saiga before the price bump....I've been wanting to try a standard conversion, but at this point I'm no interested in paying $700 for a base saiga