Coating Question... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Coating Question...

TKR Reptiles
02-08-2011, 08:01
I am sure there are 50 million threads like this, but I was too lazy to look... lol...

Well I am having my CDP re-coated and have decided to go with a Cerakote... Is the Cerakote pretty durable? The smith told me it was a lot better than armorcoat and the KimPro coat...

youngAR
02-08-2011, 08:17
Cerakote is one of the stronger spray on finishes. What colors are you having done?

MD357
02-08-2011, 08:29
It's not tougher than Armor-tuff if that's what you mean. Usually good enough for most people's needs unless you do a bunch of holster presentations from kydex. It all depends on who does it on the quality so I'd recommend Mike Cywrus from accurate-iron, he's in your neck of the woods.

Quack
02-08-2011, 08:30
if it's carbon steel, parkerize it before Cerakote.

TKR Reptiles
02-08-2011, 08:33
Cerakote is one of the stronger spray on finishes. What colors are you having done?

I am having my CDP done all black

It's not tougher than Armor-tuff if that's what you mean. Usually good enough for most people's needs unless you do a bunch of holster presentations from kydex. It all depends on who does it on the quality so I'd recommend Mike Cywrus from accurate-iron, he's in your neck of the woods.

That is who I am going to have do all my work... Having my CDP Pro bobbed, re-coated all black, and having the barrel flush crowned...

if it's carbon steel, parkerize it before Cerakote.

It's on my CDP, so I don't know if it is or not... I am kind of ignorant when you get into that...

awpk03s
02-08-2011, 09:01
Holster presentations will wear Cerakote fairly quickly if that bothers you.
Personally I prefer IonBond, Melonite, or even hard Chrome.

youngAR
02-08-2011, 09:17
Holster presentations will wear Cerakote fairly quickly if that bothers you.
Personally I prefer IonBond, Melonite, or even hard Chrome.

This. But I do believe all of these options are a no-go for the aluminum frame, but I may be wrong.

Quack
02-08-2011, 09:19
if the frame is anodized, you can coat over it