1911 noob [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1911 noob

picturethis
02-08-2011, 10:28
Hey guys. I am looking to purchase a 1911. I have experience with shotguns, Glocks and XDs. I have no idea on a budget. If I can get something nice for under a grand I'd be happy, but I don't know. I really want front strap checkering, and it seems most budget priced guns like the Range Officer do not have it stock. I've held a few 1911s, but never fired one. I am 100% sure I will like it, so I plan to buy one with confidence.

I am wondering how much more you really get with a 1911 over 1k compared to a budget priced one. I have been lurking this board for a while now, trying to gather info. It seems like if bac1023, Quack or hokieshooter think it's a good gun, then their word is as good as gold. I am a big Glock and Springfield fan in terms of their polymer pistols. Glock obviously does not offer a 1911, so I am leaning towards Springfield based on name alone.

I like the look of the Range Officer, but the lack of front strap checkering and the target sights make me hesitant. If I bought a Range Officer and got front strap checkering + new sights, I would be into it for a good chunk of change more than new. At that point, I might have just spent a bit more up front to get everything I wanted out of the box.

The guns I have considered:

Springfield Range Officer
Springfield TRP
Sti Trojan
Used Dan Wesson, Les Baer or Kimber

I am a total noob and have not been in the scene long enough to make an educated decision. I don't want to be that guy at the used car dealer who buys a lemon because he doesn't know any better. I am sure a gun shop would happily take my money and sell me some junk, just to make a sale.

The things I want out of the gun:

Reliable from the box
Able to reliably feed self defense ammo
Nice looking, but function > form for sure
Priced between $600 and $2,500

Is a $2,500 gun THAT much better than something like a Remington R1 or an entry level Springfield?

Thanks guys, and sorry for the long-winded and I am sure very monotonous post. :tongueout:

Hokie1911
02-08-2011, 10:38
Thanks for the vote of confidence in my 1911 wisdom. LOL. I find that kind of amusing and in no way shape or form know should be grouped in with Quack and Bac as being knowledgeable on the platform. Those guys have forgotten more than I know. :rofl:

If you are just looking to find a reliable solid 1911 that won't require a bunch of work, look no further than the Trojan. Probably the best bang for the buck out of the box 1911 out there. You can order it with fixed sights too if you don't want the standard adjustable ones. If you don't want a 5" and may carry it, look at the STI Ranger2. Same price at $1k. If you like Kimber, look at the TLE line an the CDP line for about the same $. Everyone here swears by the TRP, which is a few hundred more. I don't care for the 20LPI SA uses, so ymmv. Best thing to do is hit a show, where you can typically handle most any production gun (and maybe a few semi-customs) to see what feels good to you. Good luck and keep us posted.

Quack
02-08-2011, 10:41
if you want the front strap checkered, and 20lpi is fine, then get a TRP or Trophy Match over a Range Officer.

you can get a new DW or Baer for under $2000

the STI Trojan uses a cast frame if that matters to you.

is a $2500 gun better than a $600 gun? depends on what you are looking for. if it's just going to be shot, no.

I like Springfields...
http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1107397700_mrkr5-L.jpg

if you are looking for a nice gun that you will do work on yourself, then the R1 would be a good gun. it's accurate out of the box, and for less than $150 and some time, you can turn it into this:
http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1162583234_gqEr8-L.jpg

picturethis
02-08-2011, 10:41
Thanks for the vote of confidence in my 1911 wisdom. LOL. I find that kind of amusing and in no way shape or form know should be grouped in with Quack and Bac as being knowledgeable on the platform. Those guys have forgotten more than I know. :rofl:

lol. I just noticed that in any thread that's at least 2 pages, a good % of the posts are from you, bac1023 or quack. I figured all the time you spend here means you have soaked up a lot of info lol.

I appreciate the advice. Unfortunately I can only buy 1 gun at a time, and then have to save some money for the next one. I want to "have it all" from one gun, and that is impossible or guys like bac1023 wouldn't own 500 of these things LOL. :wow::wow:

picturethis
02-08-2011, 10:45
if you are looking for a nice gun that you will do work on yourself, then the R1 would be a good gun. it's accurate out of the box, and for less than $150 and some time, you can turn it into this:
http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1162583234_gqEr8-L.jpg

Unfortunately, I have zero experience working on guns. That's what drew me to Glock in the first place was how low-maintenance it is. I don't want an Audi S4 of a gun (extremely high maintenance car, for the non car guys on here)

I guess what I want is Glock reliability with 1911 timeless looks. I feel like you guys have probably seen this kinda thread 1,000 times by now and I feel bad, but my money tree burned down so I have to make a wise decision and not just buy til I like something. :supergrin:

Quack
02-08-2011, 10:47
lol. I just noticed that in any thread that's at least 2 pages, a good % of the posts are from you, bac1023 or quack. I figured all the time you spend here means you have soaked up a lot of info lol.

I appreciate the advice. Unfortunately I can only buy 1 gun at a time, and then have to save some money for the next one. I want to "have it all" from one gun, and that is impossible or guys like bac1023 wouldn't own 500 of these things LOL. :wow::wow:

Hokie is in those threads for comic relief :rofl:

picturethis
02-08-2011, 10:48
is a $2500 gun better than a $600 gun? depends on what you are looking for. if it's just going to be shot, no.

So you're saying people do more shooting with cameras of their $3k guns than actually shooting the gun? :cool:

picturethis
02-08-2011, 10:49

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae258/ru210/black-guy-laughing-o.gif

Quack
02-08-2011, 10:50
Unfortunately, I have zero experience working on guns. That's what drew me to Glock in the first place was how low-maintenance it is. I don't want an Audi S4 of a gun (extremely high maintenance car, for the non car guys on here)

I guess what I want is Glock reliability with 1911 timeless looks. I feel like you guys have probably seen this kinda thread 1,000 times by now and I feel bad, but my money tree burned down so I have to make a wise decision and not just buy til I like something. :supergrin:

if that is the case, buy a Springfield, or even the STI, both are known for their customer service. on the high-end, Wilson's Customer Service is really good too.

might i suggest getting a Springfield Custom Carry, if your budget is up to $2500. they start at $1800 before options like checkering.

Quack
02-08-2011, 10:52
So you're saying people do more shooting with cameras of their $3k guns than actually shooting the gun? :cool:

nope, there are details like fit, finish, accuracy and parts that go into a more expensive gun, but in the end they all go bang, some better than others.

http://quacksgunstuff.blogspot.com/2010/12/tale-of-3-springfields.html

picturethis
02-08-2011, 10:53
I called a few local placed and found a TRP for $1399. Remington R1 for 600 and change, and a Range Officer for $850. Limited edition 500, but I know that's just a gimmick and a normal one is exactly the same. I want to buy a new gun if I can, but I'd jump on a used gun at a too good to miss deal.

I am in no rush to buy, and will wait it out as long as I have to in order to score a good price on a good gun.

Nickpisp
02-08-2011, 10:53
I'd get the TRP and shoot it for a while. Then decide if you want to get a nicer gun.

Quack
02-08-2011, 10:54
I called a few local placed and found a TRP for $1399. Remington R1 for 600 and change, and a Range Officer for $850. Limited edition 500, but I know that's just a gimmick and a normal one is exactly the same. I want to buy a new gun if I can, but I'd jump on a used gun at a too good to miss deal.

I am in no rush to buy, and will wait it out as long as I have to in order to score a good price on a good gun.

$850 is too much for a Range Officer, should be ~$750, even for the "1 of 500" marked guns.

Gunshine
02-08-2011, 10:55
Hey guys. I am looking to purchase a 1911. I have experience with shotguns, Glocks and XDs. I have no idea on a budget. If I can get something nice for under a grand I'd be happy, but I don't know. I really want front strap checkering, and it seems most budget priced guns like the Range Officer do not have it stock. I've held a few 1911s, but never fired one. I am 100% sure I will like it, so I plan to buy one with confidence.

I am wondering how much more you really get with a 1911 over 1k compared to a budget priced one. I have been lurking this board for a while now, trying to gather info. It seems like if bac1023, Quack or hokieshooter think it's a good gun, then their word is as good as gold. I am a big Glock and Springfield fan in terms of their polymer pistols. Glock obviously does not offer a 1911, so I am leaning towards Springfield based on name alone.

I like the look of the Range Officer, but the lack of front strap checkering and the target sights make me hesitant. If I bought a Range Officer and got front strap checkering + new sights, I would be into it for a good chunk of change more than new. At that point, I might have just spent a bit more up front to get everything I wanted out of the box.

The guns I have considered:

Springfield Range Officer
Springfield TRP
Sti Trojan
Used Dan Wesson, Les Baer or Kimber

I am a total noob and have not been in the scene long enough to make an educated decision. I don't want to be that guy at the used car dealer who buys a lemon because he doesn't know any better. I am sure a gun shop would happily take my money and sell me some junk, just to make a sale.

The things I want out of the gun:

Reliable from the box
Able to reliably feed self defense ammo
Nice looking, but function > form for sure
Priced between $600 and $2,500

Is a $2,500 gun THAT much better than something like a Remington R1 or an entry level Springfield?

Thanks guys, and sorry for the long-winded and I am sure very monotonous post. :tongueout:

Try to go a little easy on the flattery. Those guys are gonna need a pick up to carry their ego's around. :tongueout: But I'll be following this thread myself.

picturethis
02-08-2011, 10:56
Are there ever times of the year where the 1911 makers all release new guns like car companies do, and they lower the price of the older ones to make room for the new stuff? This is the centennial anniversary of the 1911, so I'd assume a lot of special things are coming in 2011.

Quack
02-08-2011, 10:57

you can also think of them like camera's...they all take photo's, just some better than others.

from a cheap camera phone:
http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1123734355_9zhZM-O.jpg

and from a dSLR:
http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1159833954_QJTuL-L.jpg

Quack
02-08-2011, 10:57
Are there ever times of the year where the 1911 makers all release new guns like car companies do, and they lower the price of the older ones to make room for the new stuff? This is the centennial anniversary of the 1911, so I'd assume a lot of special things are coming in 2011.

yep, it's called SHOT show

picturethis
02-08-2011, 10:58
I'd get the TRP and shoot it for a while. Then decide if you want to get a nicer gun.

It's $1,400. From doing my homework, I have read that Quack picked up a TRP for that price that had a lot of custom work done to it. I am so afraid of over paying due to my lack of 1911 knowledge. I don't want to spend $1,700 on a gun that I see for sale for 1,100 in 4 months. Is buying lightly-used the best value? This is hard! :wow::whistling:

Nickpisp
02-08-2011, 11:00
It's $1,400. From doing my homework, I have read that Quack picked up a TRP for that price that had a lot of custom work done to it. I am so afraid of over paying due to my lack of 1911 knowledge. I don't want to spend $1,700 on a gun that I see for sale for 1,100 in 4 months. Is buying lightly-used the best value? This is hard! :wow::whistling:

I paid $1225 for a non-railed TRP, new. The thing about buying used 1911's is you want to make sure someone hasn't "gunsmithed" on it.

picturethis
02-08-2011, 11:00
I really like 1911s, but I don't think I will ever be a fanatic and "need" to own dozens of them. If I had unlimited funds then for sure, but I just want to buy a gun and a pile of ammo for it. If I had a range gun, home defense gun, safe gun and a carry gun then I wouldn't be so picky, since each of those 4 guns could serve a purpose. I may be asking for too much out of one gun, but for the price some of these guns go for I don't think I am being too unreasonable with my desire from it.

knedrgr
02-08-2011, 11:01
why pay for a Wilson when a Kimber will get the job done.

this has been VERIFIED by Z28ricer... :rofl:

Quack
02-08-2011, 11:02

shop around and be patient. bought these on good deals. Professional Operator for $1525 and the SACS TRP for $1400.

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1178457894_yrcw2-L.jpg

picturethis
02-08-2011, 11:04
shop around and be patient. bought these on good deals. Professional Operator for $1525 and the SACS TRP for $1400.

Name your price and we can get down to business. :wavey:

Hokie1911
02-08-2011, 11:05
Actually, I am a stay-at-home dad so I have lots of free time. :rofl:

I'm in the same boat, not a lot of cash and wanted to spend my money wisely. I've been a Glock, Sig, HK guy for about 10 years and wanted to see what all the 1911 hype was about so I bought a Kimber last year to test the water. I really like the platform and like you, have to save a while for one. After shooting most of Quack's guns, I really fell in love with his Ed Brown Kobra Carry. I'd rather put more money into a really good 1911 as opposed to less into pretty good 1911s. That's just me. It's taken me about 7 months but I should have it paid off next month. You have to decide how much you want to invest in it and get what you like. :supergrin:

Quack
02-08-2011, 11:06
I paid $1225 for a non-railed TRP, new. The thing about buying used 1911's is you want to make sure someone hasn't "gunsmithed" on it.

sad thing is that the cost has gone up. bought my first TRP for $950 and my first SS Loaded for $499, both NIB back around 2002-2003

Quack
02-08-2011, 11:07
Name your price and we can get down to business. :wavey:

since they have been Quackified...$2525 and $2400 :supergrin:

picturethis
02-08-2011, 11:08
You have to decide how much you want to invest in it and get what you like. :supergrin:

Nothing wrong with layaway or financing, but I've never bought anything besides a house that was not in cash. I'd kill to be driving a ZR1, but I drive a lesser model vehicle that I paid cash for. If I could justify using credit, I'd buy myself a top of the line Wilson and about 20 mags for it. I am almost too good at saving, and I experience buyer's remorse on anything over a few hundred dollars. Whatever I buy will be cash money, so it's a bigger hit to the wallet to drop $2,000 at one time, as opposed to monthly payments. I am sick lol. :shocked:

Quack
02-08-2011, 11:09
Nothing wrong with layaway or financing, but I've never bought anything besides a house that was not in cash. I'd kill to be driving a ZR1, but I drive a lesser model vehicle that I paid cash for. If I could justify using credit, I'd buy myself a top of the line Wilson and about 20 mags for it. I am almost too good at saving, and I experience buyer's remorse on anything over a few hundred dollars. Whatever I buy will be cash money, so it's a bigger hit to the wallet to drop $2,000 at one time, as opposed to monthly payments. I am sick lol. :shocked:

visit george @ www.migunslingers.com

12 month layaway and great prices.

picturethis
02-08-2011, 11:11
since they have been Quackified...$2525 and $2400 :supergrin:

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac166/bonchatbonrat/GIFS/tumblr_lbendsBc3d1qznt9o.gif

If you ever want to get rid of them in the $1,500 ballpark let me know. Doubtful, but who knows.

Quack
02-08-2011, 11:12
http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac166/bonchatbonrat/GIFS/tumblr_lbendsBc3d1qznt9o.gif

If you ever want to get rid of them in the $1,500 ballpark let me know. Doubtful, but who knows.

nope....

picturethis
02-08-2011, 11:12

I wonder if he has any Professional Operators like yours. That gun or a high end Wilson is the tops for me.....

HexHead
02-08-2011, 11:14

I'm guessing you don't have one of the $2500 ones then? I had a couple of Kimbers, a Pro Carry II and a Royal II and couldn't imagine that a $2500 gun could be that much better to be worth the price, nor that I'd even be able to tell the difference. Until I got one. When I got my Nighthawk Talon II Bobtail, the first thing in did was take it to the range with my similar sized Pro Carry.
I ran a magazine through the Kimber, got good results on the target with it. I put it down and picked up the NHC formthe first time and ran a magazine through it. The group was half the size.. Yeah,it was that much better and yeah, I could tell the difference.

To the OP, from the guns you listed, the Les Baer is in a class by itself. I'd get that and not look back. If you want to stay around $1000, take a look at a Colt Combat Elite. Colt's making some fine firearms these days.

Hokie1911
you can also think of them like camera's...they all take photo's, just some better than others.

and from a dSLR:
http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1159833954_QJTuL-L.jpg

Hey Don, speaking of which...I decided on a Nikon D3100. Plenty of camera for what I need. Hope to get it in a few weeks. :supergrin:

knedrgr
there's a rail op in the for sale section, by drc

Quack
02-08-2011, 11:16
nope, he has no Professional's in stock, but i believe he has some on order. there are people already on a waiting list for them. a new Professional Operator is ~$2400-$2600, though you might be able to find a good deal on a pre-owned one. someone on the 1911forum just picked one up for $1499.

Wilson's are good too, just not too hip on the tacticool-ness of them. here's another gem that i found for $1395, but have seen them pop up on GB every now and then for $2800.

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1178428263_8tHwd-L.jpg

Quack
02-08-2011, 11:16
I'm guessing you don't have one of the $2500 ones then? I had a couple of Kimbers, a Pro Carry II and a Royal II and couldn't imagine that a $2500 gun could be that much better to be worth the price, nor that I'd even be able to tell the difference. Until I got one. When I got my Nighthawk Talon II Bobtail, the first thing in did was take it to the range with my similar sized Pro Carry.
I ran a magazine through the Kimber, got good results on the target with it. I put it down and picked up the NHC formthe first time and ran a magazine through it. The group was half the size.. Yeah,it was that much better and yeah, I could tell the difference.

To the OP, from the guns you listed, the Les Baer is in a class by itself. I'd get that and not look back. If you want to stay around $1000, take a look at a Colt Combat Elite. Colt's making some fine firearms these days.

i have more than one of them ;)

and you must not have seen this post:

nope, there are details like fit, finish, accuracy and parts that go into a more expensive gun, but in the end they all go bang, some better than others.

http://quacksgunstuff.blogspot.com/2010/12/tale-of-3-springfields.html

picturethis
02-08-2011, 11:17
there's a rail op in the for sale section, by drc

For sale section on here? I've never even ventured into it lol. Thanks, I will search for it.

How much money would I be saving to just buy a Pro up front? Could I buy a TRP and then slowly modify and improve it to Pro specs?

Hokie1911
02-08-2011, 11:18

^^^This^^^

...and then the sickness begins. :tongueout:

Hokie1911
02-08-2011, 11:20
For sale section on here? I've never even ventured into it lol. Thanks, I will search for it.

How much money would I be saving to just buy a Pro up front? Could I buy a TRP and then slowly modify and improve it to Pro specs?

You don't exactly buy a Pro. You order it and wait about a year. :faint:

picturethis
02-08-2011, 11:20
A good deal like you have found would be awesome Quack, but I don't have the knowledge to even see a deal if it's right in front of me. If there's a steal of a deal out there, it won't last long before someone like you snatches it up anyways haha.

Quack
02-08-2011, 11:21

it's sold.

picturethis
02-08-2011, 11:21
You don't exactly buy a Pro. You order it an wait about a year. :faint:

Well, if I put $250 into a shoe box every month I will have cash money for it in a year. Sounds win-win to me! :)

knedrgr
02-08-2011, 11:22

Look like it's Sold Pending Funds...

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1313129

you could upgrade later.

Hokie1911
02-08-2011, 11:23
Well, if I put $250 into a shoe box every month I will have cash money for it in a year. Sounds win-win to me! :)

George can do that. Order it. 12 months to pay it off.

asiparks
02-08-2011, 11:24

from a cheap camera phone:
http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1123734355_9zhZM-O.jpg

No kidding, the lens makes the trigger look all curvy :wow:

Quack

the TRP that i have is close to a Pro. the barrel, hammer, sear have been upgraded to what the Pro has. It was also tightened and refinished. the cost of all that work was $710.

if you order a Pro, you will have to wait over a year to get one. if you order a Custom Shop built gun (from scratch) you will have to put a deposit down to start building it, then wait a year or so.

HexHead
i have more than one of them ;)

and you must not have seen this post:

Well, okay then. :supergrin:

Quack
02-08-2011, 11:26

if you want a Pro, you could also order a Custom Carry built to a little different spec. the Pro is just a CUstom Carry built to the FBI's spec and carry the CRG prefix on the serial number. the 3 Custom shop guns are all well built.

knedrgr
02-08-2011, 11:29

Quack is showing off his SACK...I mean SACS again... :animlol:

Quack
02-08-2011, 11:30
you like my SACS :shocked:

Hokie1911
02-08-2011, 11:31
if you want a Pro, you could also order a Custom Carry built to a little different spec. the Pro is just a CUstom Carry built to the FBI's spec and carry the CRG prefix on the serial number. the 3 Custom shop guns are all well built.

You still thinking about having a 9mm Custom Carry built...or building one?

picturethis
02-08-2011, 11:40
I may have to contact this George character. I will put this to a 1911 GT vote:

1. Buy the TRP for $1,400 locally
2. Contact George and put in an order for a Professional @ around $2,500

I can't lose either way. :)

Quack
02-08-2011, 11:40
gonna build one first.

Quack
02-08-2011, 11:41
I may have to contact this George character. I will put this to a 1911 GT vote:

1. Buy the TRP for $1,400 locally
2. Contact George and put in an order for a Professional @ around $2,500

I can't lose either way. :)

up to you. do you know if you like the 1911 platform?

picturethis
02-08-2011, 11:44
up to you. do you know if you like the 1911 platform?

Yeah, I know I do. I love the looks of them, but have always been scared when people say how unreliable they are. My old roomate when I lived in NY owned a Professional. It is the nicest gun I've ever held. He told me the price and I was shocked, but this was 5 years ago. I think buying a nice 1911 is something that is as close to a slam dunk as possible. I've never been with a super model, but I don't need experience to know it'd be an amazing experience lol.

Quack
02-08-2011, 11:44
i believe http://www.sportingarms.com/ get's Professional's in regularly, so if you have the cash up front, you might be able to score one.

Quack
02-08-2011, 11:46
Yeah, I know I do. I love the looks of them, but have always been scared when people say how unreliable they are. My old roomate when I lived in NY owned a Professional. It is the nicest gun I've ever held. He told me the price and I was shocked, but this was 5 years ago. I think buying a nice 1911 is something that is as close to a slam dunk as possible. I've never been with a super model, but I don't need experience to know it'd be an amazing experience lol.

Sounds like YamaLink on some other forums. the first 1911 he shot was a TGO-1, and went through other 1911's until his friend sold him the TGO-1, which was almost a year later. shooting highend guns does spoil you. i've sold most of my "Production" guns and will probably build or buy semi's from here on out.

picturethis
02-08-2011, 11:47
i believe http://www.sportingarms.com/ get's Professional's in regularly, so if you have the cash up front, you might be able to score one.

Yeah, I have cash in hand for one if I can pull the trigger and open up my wallet for it. :wow:

Hokie1911
02-08-2011, 11:49
Sounds like YamaLink on some other forums. the first 1911 he shot was a TGO-1, and went through other 1911's until his friend sold him the TGO-1, which was almost a year later. shooting highend guns does spoil you. i've sold most of my "Production" guns and will probably build or buy semi's from here on out.

Cool. I'll take the Guardian. :supergrin:

picturethis
02-08-2011, 11:49

That's what I was thinking.. I have the cash for a high end gun, I just don't know if I can get the most out of it. It's kinda like how I'd love a 5D or 7D, but a 40D does everything I really need as an amateur photographer and I can't justify the huge difference in price for the 5 or 7. Money sucks, LOL.

Rinspeed
02-08-2011, 11:50

They do and they're great people to deal with.

Quack
02-08-2011, 11:51
Cool. I'll take the Guardian. :supergrin:

come up with the cash, and it's your's

Hokie1911
02-08-2011, 11:52
come up with the cash, and it's your's

I will have it in 6 months. :rofl:

picturethis
02-08-2011, 11:53
I will have to contact sportingarms or George and just get the Professional. If I own the Pro for 20 years, it will only cost me $125 per year. This is what I plan to tell the Wife if she sees the price tag. I'd be a sucker NOT to buy it, right? ;) ;)

Quack
02-08-2011, 11:53
That's what I was thinking.. I have the cash for a high end gun, I just don't know if I can get the most out of it. It's kinda like how I'd love a 5D or 7D, but a 40D does everything I really need as an amateur photographer and I can't justify the huge difference in price for the 5 or 7. Money sucks, LOL.

i hear ya. i want a Nikon D3, but my D300 does what i need.

Quack
02-08-2011, 11:55
I will have it in 6 months. :rofl:

come back in 6months then :wavey:

picturethis
02-08-2011, 11:55
So let's get down to it. I haven't looked into Professionals much, but are they like the TRP where the railed version is a bit more, or do they all come with rails? I want to know exactly what to ask for so I don't call George or that website and look like an idiot who wants to spend $2,500 but doesn't even know the specifics ha ha.

Hokie1911
02-08-2011, 11:57
I will have to contact sportingarms or George and just get the Professional. If I own the Pro for 20 years, it will only cost me $125 per year. This is what I plan to tell the Wife if she sees the price tag. I'd be a sucker NOT to buy it, right? ;) ;)

Avoid letting the Mrs see the pricetag. Nothing good comes from that. :shakehead:

picturethis
02-08-2011, 11:58
Avoid letting the Mrs see the pricetag. Nothing good comes from that. :shakehead:

If she has a problem with it, she can go back to work is how I see it. :wavey:

Hokie1911
02-08-2011, 11:58
come back in 6months then :wavey:

Deal. :rofl:

Quack
02-08-2011, 11:59
So let's get down to it. I haven't looked into Professionals much, but are they like the TRP where the railed version is a bit more, or do they all come with rails? I want to know exactly what to ask for so I don't call George or that website and look like an idiot who wants to spend $2,500 but doesn't even know the specifics ha ha.

the TRP is a "Production" copy of the Professional.
the Professional has no rail.
the Professional Operator has a rail.

The Professional only comes as it's built, no changes when you order them. They are built every 45 days with the smith's not knowing if they are going to the FBI or a civilian. The FBI's order's are filled first, then the rest trickle out to dealers that have them on order.

picturethis
02-08-2011, 12:01
the TRP is a "Production" copy of the Professional.
the Professional has no rail.
the Professional Operator has a rail.

The Professional only comes as it's built, no changes when you order them. I believe ~45 of them are built a month with the smith's not knowing if they are going to the FBI or a civilian. The FBI's order's are filled first, then the rest trickle out to dealers that have them on order.

So the Professional Operator is the most expensive? I don't need a rail, but I wouldn't mind it. I like the looks of it without the rail, but having a light would be a nice touch so I am between a rock and a hard place here. Buy both and profit later? LOL.

Quack
02-08-2011, 12:02
Some details have changed over the years, like the barrel and the Wilson safety are no longer used.

The TRP is a factory pistol which has been upgraded with a few features to make it look like the full custom Professional model (FBI SWAT pistol).
The Professional is a full custom pistol that begins with a national match frame which has the oversized slide rails cut into the frame in our Geneseo machine shop. It uses all custom parts, including the Springfield Custom tool steel hammer & sear, Nowlin barrel & bushing, S&A mag well, Wilson ambi thumb safety, Novak low mount rear sight, dovetail front sight, match skeletonized trigger, standard guide rod system, and 6 specially tuned Metalform 7 round magazines. These pistols are hand assembled by custom gunsmiths in our Geneseo custom shop, under the supervision of master gunsmith David Williams. The Professional models meet or exceed all specifications of the FBI SWAT contract, including the accuracy requirement of 1.5" or better at 25 yards with Remington Golden Saber ammunition. The civilian pistols and the FBI pistols are built at the same time, with the gunsmiths never knowing whether a civilian or FBI agent will be using the pistol. These pistols are built approx. every 45 days, with the FBI order being filled first and civilian orders getting all of the remaining from the production run. These pistols do not have front cocking serrations or full length guide rods because the FBI chose not to have these features on their pistols. (Front cocking serrations catch on clothing and full length guide rods require additional tools for disassembly.) These pistols are finished with the Black T finish done by Walter Birdsong in MS.

The TRP pistol is a factory pistol which has been upgraded with more hand fitting than a standard factory pistol, as well as a 2 piece mag well, night sights, and better tuning internally. It has a quoted accuracy of 2.5" or better at 25 yards with match ammunition. It has the front cocking serrations and full length guide rod, just like the other factory "loaded" models. These pistols are finished with Springfield's Armory Kote finish, which is a painted on, baked on finish similar to the Black T finish.

Deb, Custom Shop Coordinator
Springfield Inc.
420 West Main St.
Geneseo, IL 61254
(800) 680-6866
customshop@springfield-armory.com

Quack
02-08-2011, 12:04
So the Professional Operator is the most expensive? I don't need a rail, but I wouldn't mind it. I like the looks of it without the rail, but having a light would be a nice touch so I am between a rock and a hard place here. Buy both and profit later? LOL.

not sure. i buy a lot of pre-owned guns :supergrin:

picturethis
02-08-2011, 12:05
Thanks, Quack. You are a very useful mammal!! :)

So should I go thru George, or sportingarms.com? If the price is within 50 bucks, I'd rather give my cash to the better company that deserves it.

Quack
02-08-2011, 12:08
i'd go through george. i believe he has better prices, 12 month layaway, and IIRC he was layed off a few years ago, so i think this is his main bread and butter.

picturethis
02-08-2011, 12:09
I want a 1911 in the meantime, so I may jump on a Remington R1. I saw a review of one on anther forum. Quack posted in it many times (assuming there are not 2 guys named Quack online who take a lot of pictures lol)

It'll make the wait less painful on the Pro.

picturethis
02-08-2011, 12:09
i'd go through george. i believe he has better prices, 12 month layaway, and IIRC he was layed off a few years ago, so i think this is his main bread and butter.

Cool. I will be sure to tell him you guys here gave me the info on him. Maybe he'll throw you guys a bone next time you call him up for more crack... :rofl:

Quack
02-08-2011, 12:11
i still haven't bought anything from him yet. just when i get ready to, i find a good deal on something else

Quack
02-08-2011, 12:11
I want a 1911 in the meantime, so I may jump on a Remington R1. I saw a review of one on anther forum. Quack posted in it many times (assuming there are not 2 guys named Quack online who take a lot of pictures lol)

It'll make the wait less painful on the Pro.

nope, not me :whistling:

Hokie1911
02-08-2011, 12:16
Cool. I will be sure to tell him you guys here gave me the info on him. Maybe he'll throw you guys a bone next time you call him up for more crack... :rofl:

There's a bunch of us on here that have bought from George. His prices are very good, and he is a hell of a nice guy.

picturethis
02-08-2011, 12:17
I really hope that if/when I get my Pro I am not tempted to turn it into a safe queen. I spent a good amount of money on a paint job for an old car, and was afraid to drive it afterwards. I want to ccw this gun, so scratches are something I just have to deal with..

Quack
02-08-2011, 12:20
and from just the other day...
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=302651

Quack
02-08-2011, 12:21
I really hope that if/when I get my Pro I am not tempted to turn it into a safe queen. I spent a good amount of money on a paint job for an old car, and was afraid to drive it afterwards. I want to ccw this gun, so scratches are something I just have to deal with..

the Black-T finish is soft, it'll start showing wear after you holster it for the first time.

picturethis
02-08-2011, 12:27
I will be contacting George on a Pro.

I want a cheap 1911 in the meantime. Is the R1 the way to go? The Most I'd spend is $750. Basically it's between the R1 or the Range Officer. I could sell either of them for a decent price in a year, since I keep my things in mint condition and used 1911s tend to hold their value decently. So is is R1, RO or other in the sub $750 arena?

picturethis
02-08-2011, 12:28
the Black-T finish is soft, it'll start showing wear after you holster it for the first time.

My Les Paul has some scratches on it. I call it character. :rofl:

Quack
02-08-2011, 12:30
I will be contacting George on a Pro.

I want a cheap 1911 in the meantime. Is the R1 the way to go? The Most I'd spend is $750. Basically it's between the R1 or the Range Officer. I could sell either of them for a decent price in a year, since I keep my things in mint condition and used 1911s tend to hold their value decently. So is is R1, RO or other in the sub $750 arena?

i'd get the Range Officer if you aren't going to mess with it.
the R1 would be nice if you wanted a project gun.

IMO, the Range Officer will hold value better than the Remington.

picturethis
02-08-2011, 12:31
i'd get the Range Officer if you aren't going to mess with it.
the R1 would be nice if you wanted a project gun.

IMO, the Range Officer will hold value better than the Remington.

Yeah, I just want a 1911 in hand now that I can shoot in 100% stock form. The trigger on the R1 is hideous, so that would for sure have to go before I was happy.

Quack
02-08-2011, 12:32
My Les Paul has some scratches on it. I call it character. :rofl:

just letting you know so we don't see a thread a year or so from now complaining about the finish wear.

My old LR DIscovery had character from real world use.

picturethis
02-08-2011, 12:42
Hopefully I can locate a RO at ~725.

Quack
02-08-2011, 12:43
can find them for as low as $699 around here.

picturethis
02-08-2011, 12:57
can find them for as low as $699 around here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fw5-blpE3s

This guy claims that it will shoot an inch at 25 yards. Is this true? Seems awfully tight for such a cheap gun.

When he says it has some things on it that you wouldn't want in a defense gun, does he mean the target sights?

Quack
02-08-2011, 13:06
probably with him (Rob Leatham) shooting it and with match ammo. here's his model. it MSRP's for ~$3200.

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1178436339_xibVq-L.jpg

picturethis
02-08-2011, 13:11
Just $3,200 you say? I'll take 2! :)

Quack
02-08-2011, 13:12
i think they only make them once a year and about ~160 made so far.

bac1023
02-08-2011, 23:38

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

bac1023
02-08-2011, 23:45
Just $3,200 you say? I'll take 2! :)

Yeah, and I've got number 44. :tongueout:

Seriously, The Great One is about as good as it gets. :supergrin:

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/008-5.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/006-11.jpg

bac1023
02-08-2011, 23:47

I think you're right, Quack.

Leatham probably test fires them once a year before they all ship out in batches. They must only build 10-20 a year.

picturethis
02-09-2011, 12:35
I am about to call George and place my order. I wanted to check out a TRP, but I just KNOW I will look at it every day and wish it was a Pro. I am not the kinda guy who buys into hype, so this is very unlike me. I hope this gun lives up to my amazingly high expectations. Thanks for all the help, guys!

The only question is how long I will be waiting, and if I can avoid buying a TRP to go along with the Pro. :)

Quack
02-09-2011, 12:37
1 week until you buy a TRP.

picturethis
02-09-2011, 12:40

lol. I am just finishing my lunch and will call George. Any idea what the going rate for a Pro even is? I am hearing $2,600 without a rail.

bac1023
02-09-2011, 13:06
lol. I am just finishing my lunch and will call George. Any idea what the going rate for a Pro even is? I am hearing $2,600 without a rail.

Sounds about right these days. The street price on them has gone up a bit.

That said, I never priced one.

bac1023
02-09-2011, 13:08

Most definitely. Isn't the TRP a must-have for any 1911 enthusiast? :supergrin:

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/cutillo_2009/000_1679.jpg

picturethis
02-09-2011, 13:21
I just spoke to George. What a nice guy!!

He quoted me at $2,375 for one. If that isn't a steal of a deal, I don't know what is! He told me he has 8 of them on order, and that he never received 3 of them he was expecting in October... He is not taking deposits on them, but he has a waiting list going and will be contacting people when they arrive. He told me he hopes to have all 8 of them by this summer. I have never had to wait more than a month for anything, so this is all new to me.

George told me a Police Officer called Springfield direct, looking to get to the front of the line since he wanted to use the Pro as a duty gun. This guy was quoted 15 months, so it seems the wait is only getting longer and longer.

I really want to wait and buy thru George. I hope he really does see all 8 guns this summer, but with the Professional you never know....

bac1023
02-09-2011, 13:25
I just spoke to George. What a nice guy!!

He quoted me at $2,375 for one. If that isn't a steal of a deal, I don't know what is! He told me he has 8 of them on order, and that he never received 3 of them he was expecting in October... He is not taking deposits on them, but he has a waiting list going and will be contacting people when they arrive. He told me he hopes to have all 8 of them by this summer. I have never had to wait more than a month for anything, so this is all new to me.

George told me a Police Officer called Springfield direct, looking to get to the front of the line since he wanted to use the Pro as a duty gun. This guy was quoted 15 months, so it seems the wait is only getting longer and longer.

I really want to wait and buy thru George. I hope he really does see all 8 guns this summer, but with the Professional you never know....

Not bad. Prices are higher when someone is selling a new Pro with no wait time.

picturethis
02-09-2011, 13:25
Not bad. Prices are higher when someone is selling a new Pro with no wait time.

I am willing to wait for quality. If Springfield pulled a Kimber and just started rushing these things out, I would want that. :wow:

picturethis
02-09-2011, 13:33
I hope the gun is in my hand by the end of 2011. I don't know what to do in the meantime. If I spend $1400 on a TRP, I feel like it will become a $1400 paperweight once the Pro comes. I can't imagine anything I'd rather use the TRP for than the Pro. The Pro would be better on the range, as a home defense gun and even a carry gun. I am not afraid of scratches.

How well would the TRP hold it's value? If I buy it for $1,400 and sell it in a year, will I even be able to get 950 for it?

bac1023
02-09-2011, 13:35
I am willing to wait for quality. If Springfield pulled a Kimber and just started rushing these things out, I would want that. :wow:

No, that's not what I meant.

Shops and/or people have had NIB Springfield Pros ready to ship in the past. I've seen them on Gunbroker over the years. That's when prices could be higher. People tend to pay more to wait less in the 1911 business.

That doesn't mean it took Springfield any less time to build them. Pros are only made one way. :)

bac1023
02-09-2011, 13:36
How well would the TRP hold it's value? If I buy it for $1,400 and sell it in a year, will I even be able to get 950 for it?

You could certainly get a grand out of it, especially if prices go up on the new models.

Quack
02-09-2011, 13:37
I hope the gun is in my hand by the end of 2011. I don't know what to do in the meantime. If I spend $1400 on a TRP, I feel like it will become a $1400 paperweight once the Pro comes. I can't imagine anything I'd rather use the TRP for than the Pro. The Pro would be better on the range, as a home defense gun and even a carry gun. I am not afraid of scratches.

I bought one of my TRP's for $950 NIB and sold it $1150 ;)

picturethis
02-09-2011, 13:41
I think I will just keep it to Glocks for now. I don't need 2 money pit 1911s, much less 10 or more like some of you ballers.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk56/babii_t765/obama-4.gifhttp://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk56/babii_t765/obama-4.gifhttp://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk56/babii_t765/obama-4.gif

Nickpisp
02-09-2011, 13:42
I can't imagine anything I'd rather use the TRP for than the Pro. The Pro would be better on the range, as a home defense gun and even a carry gun.

I think your expectations may be a tad high on the Pro.

picturethis
02-09-2011, 13:44
I think your expectations may be a tad high on the Pro.

I dunno. I spent several hours reading the Professional specs thread on the 1911 forums and saw countless guys saying that the Pro basically made them forget about their TRP. I am sure it's not like comparing a Ferrari to a Hyundai, but I am psyched!!

Quack
02-09-2011, 13:46
That's why you get one with a rail and the other without. ;)

picturethis
02-09-2011, 13:48
That's why you get one with a rail and the other without. ;)

Will you be paying cash, check or do you want my paypal so I can acquire 2 of these? :tongueout:

lawdog734
02-09-2011, 13:53
Quack is magical with the prices he finds. Ask him how much he payed for his pro. You'll want to hang yourself.

Quack
02-09-2011, 13:56
For what I bought my 2 for, it would be $300 more than paying Msrp for a Pro.

picturethis
02-09-2011, 13:56
Quack is magical with the prices he finds. Ask him how much he payed for his pro. You'll want to hang yourself.

Someone has to get deals. I've bought things for $20 and flipped them for $200 before, but I am a noob with 1911s and no steal of a deal would ever fall thru the cracks to someone like me. My Pro will be the only 1911 I buy for a long time, so I have no problem paying $2,375. My only question now is to rail or not to rail. :rofl::rofl::upeyes::dunno:

tx787
02-09-2011, 14:04
I think I will just keep it to Glocks for now. I don't need 2 money pit 1911s, much less 10 or more like some of you ballers.

I think you can have lots of fun with the 1911 platform for under $1,000. I have an entry level Kimber Custom II which is about $800 give or take and I've had it for about 15 months, have 1,050 rounds through it with no problems, it looks great, it shoots great and along with my G17 is one of the last pistols I'd ever want to part with (assuming it continues to function as it has been of course).

I also have a $650 Desert Eagle 1911 which is a little ugly but has excellent fit and as far as I can tell an unusually good trigger for that price range.

I only have 2 regrets so far with 1911s. One is that I didn't spend the extra $100 to get the Kimber TLE, the night sights and frontstrap checkering would have been well worth it. The other is I bought a Colt Lightweight Government XSE last year and sold it 2 months later for a $200 hit. I was a total POS compared to the other 2, the trigger wobbled, the grip safety wobbled, the trigger pull was poor compared to the other 2 and it couldn't feed one magazines of Gold Dot reliably, whereas the DE can all day long.

picturethis
02-09-2011, 14:11
tx787 those are good points. I am an average at best shooter, but I only have experience with polymers. I always hated the trigger on my Glocks, and didn't realize how much better the 1911 triggers were. I assumed it was all hype. I may be paying a lot of cash for a Professional that I will only get 25% out of due to my skill, but I will have a lot of confidence in it. You can't put a price on confidence in a gun that may someday save your life. That's my justification on spending so much on one gun.

Waiting is what may kill me. My friend had to wait 14 months for a Precision Turbo a few years ago, but he said the minute he had it bolted on and the car was tuned, the wait was 100% worth it. I am looking forward to that moment myself.

picturethis
02-09-2011, 14:26
If I buy the Professional "FBI" gun, does it come with her?

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg166/xman25a/Gillian.jpg

;) ;)

picturethis
02-09-2011, 14:44
Are there any NIB Pros for sale in the ~2400 range that anyone knows about?

Quack
02-09-2011, 14:47
Are there any NIB Pros for sale in the ~2400 range that anyone knows about?

There was a Pro Op for that last week...its gone now, but was for sale for about a month.

picturethis
02-09-2011, 15:23
How do the new barrels in the Pro compare to the older Nowlin barrel?

picturethis
02-09-2011, 15:46
I also wonder why they switched. No one seems to know for sure on 1911forums.

GJ1981
02-09-2011, 16:01

It's more that the ****** admin won't let it be talked about. Anything against the Pro is quickly deleted.

There were several cases of split barrels with Nowlins. Last I knew, the newest railed Pros are coming with full ramped barrels. Never thought Golden Sabers were that "hot."

As to have they compare, having had both, I'm not overly impressed with the NM. Then again, my overall opinion of the Pro has changed this year.

picturethis
02-09-2011, 16:02
It's more that the ****** admin won't let it be talked about. Anything against the Pro is quickly deleted.

There were several cases of split barrels with Nowlins. Last I knew, the newest railed Pros are coming with full ramped barrels. Never thought Golden Sabers were that "hot."

As to have they compare, having had both, I'm not overly impressed with the NM. Then again, my overall opinion of the Pro has changed this year.

What changed? Did you get a lemon, or are they all lower quality now?

GJ1981
02-09-2011, 16:11
My experience it too subjective to make any blanket statements on the overall pistol.

Mine isn't as accurate as my older Pro. It shoots alright but nothing like my first one, which was the reason for buying the 2nd. My buddy felt the same about his newer Pro.

I've had reliability issues, the pistol still isn't 100%. It's been returned twice, and while it has gotten better, it is still not where it should be given the "FBI" history.

I've pretty much lost total faith in it, I'm just waiting on a buddy to come up with the funds. If he flakes, not sure what I'll do with it.

I'll tell you, if you want a Pro, get it because you actually like it. Don't buy it just because.

picturethis
02-09-2011, 16:13
My experience it too subjective to make any blanket statements on the overall pistol.

Mine isn't as accurate as my older Pro. It shoots alright but nothing like my first one, which was the reason for buying the 2nd. My buddy felt the same about his newer Pro.

I've had reliability issues, the pistol still isn't 100%. It's been returned twice, and while it has gotten better, it is still not where it should be given the "FBI" history.

I've pretty much lost total faith in it, I'm just waiting on a buddy to come up with the funds.

I'll tell you, if you want a Pro, get it because you actually like it. Don't buy it just because.

Not what I wanted to hear when I am about to drop nearly $2,500 on one. How widespread is the criticism for the "newer" Pros? Are you the 1 in 1,000 who got a raw deal, or are there many people like you who believe the newer ones don't stack up to the older ones?

picturethis
02-09-2011, 16:14

I have never shot one. I've held one and loved it, but firing it would be a whole new game. I really have to just put my faith in SA and hope for the best on the range. No returns on a gun like this.

bac1023
02-09-2011, 16:16
Not what I wanted to hear when I am about to drop nearly $2,500 on one. How widespread is the criticism for the "newer" Pros? Are you the 1 in 1,000 who got a raw deal, or are there many people like you who believe the newer ones don't stack up to the older ones?

The newer Pros don't have the Nowlin barrel. I do know that much.

picturethis
02-09-2011, 16:18
The newer Pros don't have the Nowlin barrel. I do know that much.

Yeah, that's about all I was able to gather. Assuming they still need to meet the FBI standards, I can't imagine the newer barrel to be inferior.

I am wondering if I should just get a custom carry, since the FBI part of the Pro means nothing to me.

GJ1981
02-09-2011, 16:19

Couldn't tell you really since there isn't any actual documentation.

My Pro has given me issues, my buddy isn't overly impressed with his, I've talked with a guy on one of the 1911 forums on his. His went back and needed the feed ramp recut for some reason. I talked to another guy who returned his for accuracy issues.

Besides mine and my friends, I have no idea of the other two. There could have been more that wasn't said or details that could have pointed to them as a fault.

SA has a good warranty, I just returned a Custom Carry after 1200 rounds or so.

Maybe I have horrible luck, I'm not trying to make anyone's mind up, just telling my story.

picturethis
02-09-2011, 16:23
I appreciate all comments, positive or negative. I am still such a noob at this that I don't even know all the names of the parts, and wouldn't even be able to field strip the gun without someone showing me how. I am anxious to learn, but for $2,500 I pretty much will demand perfection.

GJ1981
02-09-2011, 16:28
$2,500 I pretty much will demand perfection.

Just to warn you, but it may not happen. From a function standpoint it should, but I've seen returns from ALL the main 1911 shops, excluding full customs.

Not trying to scare you, just letting you know some realities.

picturethis
02-09-2011, 16:30
Just to warn you, but it may not happen. From a function standpoint it should, but I've seen returns from ALL the main 1911 shops, excluding full customs.

Not trying to scare you, just letting you know some realities.

I wish I could have ordered the gun today. I have months and months to second guess myself. I guess I will just hope for the best. If I dislike the gun, SA will fix it and someone will surely buy it off me within a few days.

GJ1981
02-09-2011, 16:33
I wish I could have ordered the gun today. I have months and months to second guess myself. I guess I will just hope for the best. If I dislike the gun, SA will fix it and someone will surely buy it off me within a few days.

I'm wouldn't worry too much. Like I said, I have seen issues from all the main shops...some reoccurring.

SA has a great warranty and CS, and it you decided you didn't like it, a non rail Pro will sell fairly easily.

picturethis
02-09-2011, 16:39
I really wish I didn't go on forums. If I didn't know about the PRO, a TRP would have been more than enough gun. lol

picturethis
02-09-2011, 16:49
Maybe I should just order 5 Pros at one time, and keep the top of the heap?

:nods:

picturethis
02-09-2011, 17:01
Just for fun, to those of you who have shot a Pro and a TRP, how much better is the Pro?
I am getting one because it instills confidence in me, but how much of it is a placebo effect?

GJ1981
02-09-2011, 17:07
Just for fun, to those of you who have shot a Pro and a TRP, how much better is the Pro?
I am getting one because it instills confidence in me, but how much of it is a placebo effect?

How many rounds do you shoot/plan to shoot in a year?

picturethis
02-09-2011, 17:11
How many rounds do you shoot/plan to shoot in a year?

No idea. I've only ever owned Glocks, and never really enjoyed them due to their triggers. If I like the gun as much as I think, I will probably shoot 300-500 rounds a month.

GJ1981
02-09-2011, 17:15
No idea. I've only ever owned Glocks, and never really enjoyed them due to their triggers. If I like the gun as much as I think, I will probably shoot 300-500 rounds a month.

As far a shooting I didn't feel a huge difference. The TRP I shot had some creep and the thumb safety wasn't as firm as I liked, but it was good overall.

For accuracy, I felt the were very close. I don't bench rest my pistols so unless you're a world class shooter, I doubt you'd see a huge difference. From the factory

Pro <= 1.5" at 25 yards

TRP - 2.5" at 25 yards

If you're a high volume shooter, you may find differences between the two as far as parts quality. Can't say for sure though.

picturethis
02-09-2011, 17:16
I am average at best. Hoping the gun helps me a bit lol.

GJ1981
02-09-2011, 17:18
I am average at best. Hoping the gun helps me a bit lol.

Honestly, I doubt it would make a huge difference. If you want a Pro, get it because you want to, not because you think it will make you a better shot.

Just MHO.

picturethis
02-09-2011, 17:21
I just think that since I have the cash I might as well get it over the TRP. My wallet hates me for it, but I don't think a TRP would ever make me 100% happy. I don't wanna spend $1,400 and still have regrets I guess...

GJ1981
02-09-2011, 17:23
It's all about what you want :thumbsup:

picturethis
02-09-2011, 17:32
What I want is a 1911 that costs $500 and performs like the Pro. lol

Rinspeed
02-09-2011, 18:19

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Rinspeed/PROBarrel.jpg

wrx04
02-09-2011, 18:20
I just think that since I have the cash I might as well get it over the TRP. My wallet hates me for it, but I don't think a TRP would ever make me 100% happy. I don't wanna spend $1,400 and still have regrets I guess...

I was in almost the exact same situation as you about 6 months ago. I have nowhere near the knowledge of these other guys, but i'll put in my 2 cents.

I had about $2k to drop on a gun, and was thinking about a semi-custom as my first 1911. I believe in spending more money at first, and getting the best right from the start. After a lot of thought, i decided to get an STI Trojan and buy a dillon 550 to reload my own ammo. The gun has been absolutely perfect (far more accurate than me) and perfectly reliable. The reloading press lets me shoot twice as much for the same $$$, and better quality ammo at that. I shoot about 200-300 rounds per week now.

I love the 1911 platform, and put in an order for a Les Baer SRP in December. The Trojan is all the gun i need, but i just have to find out what the "next level" is all about.

You should seriously consider getting a reloading press. It will last a lifetime, and will let you shoot way more than you could otherwise. It may seem like a hassle and intimidating to a beginner, but trust me, its not bad at all. It actually becomes a hobby in itself.

picturethis
02-09-2011, 18:24
You should seriously consider getting a reloading press. It will last a lifetime, and will let you shoot way more than you could otherwise. It may seem like a hassle and intimidating to a beginner, but trust me, its not bad at all. It actually becomes a hobby in itself.

Reloading is something I have zero interest in. I know a guy who reloads and he sells me ammo at good prices. I just wouldn't trust myself. My attention to detail can be lacking. It's the #1 reason I don't own a GSX-R. I don't think bad attention to detail and gunpowder mix, but I wish I had the heart to reload myself. :wavey:

picturethis
02-09-2011, 18:25
I feel like waiting for this gun is like waiting for the birth of a child, on a much less personal level. I am pathetic LOL.

picturethis
02-09-2011, 18:29
It seems a lot of people who own Professionals own more than one, or are planning to buy a second. I don't get this at all... Why do you need 2 of the exact same gun, assuming it's not a duty gun and you own more than 2 guns as it is. Everyone needs a backup, but why does anyone need 2 of the same gun? I've read these guns are supposedly good for 50k rounds. I guess if you can afford 50k rounds, you can afford 2 of them lol.

picturethis
02-09-2011, 18:32
When George quoted me at $2,375, would that be before or after taxes? I am guessing before taxes, but maybe he goes by after taxes like some people do.

lawdog734
02-09-2011, 18:43
Unless your from MI there should be no taxes just shipping

picturethis
02-09-2011, 18:46

Yesssssssssssssss.

/Napolean

thecableguy
02-09-2011, 19:02
and what ever your ffl charges for transfers.

GAFinch
02-09-2011, 20:13
Rather than spending a year to save up for a $2,500 gun you're unfamiliar with, just buy a $600 gun now. Spend some quality time with it and if you do decide to buy a nicer one you can start saving up for it while still having the cheaper one to shoot in the meantime.

Selling a cheap gun you don't like for a $50 loss is better than selling an expensive one for a $400 loss.

lawdog734
02-09-2011, 20:18
Rather than spending a year to save up for a $2,500 gun you're unfamiliar with, just buy a $600 gun now. Spend some quality time with it and if you do decide to buy a nicer one you can start saving up for it while still having the cheaper one to shoot in the meantime.

Selling a cheap gun you don't like for a $50 loss is better than selling an expensive one for a $400 loss.

There is a lot of truth in this...

bac1023
02-09-2011, 21:11
When George quoted me at $2,375, would that be before or after taxes? I am guessing before taxes, but maybe he goes by after taxes like some people do.

No tax from other states. :)

R0CKETMAN
02-10-2011, 05:19

Or maybe "picturethis" paid attention in school, opened his/her own photography business, takes pictures of famous underwear models across the world, works hard, and has an income well into the seven figures and thus $400 is like $50 to some.

Edit: I'll also add that the Pro will retain its' value very well. Fine pistol in short supply. They last hours for sale versus days.

Rinspeed
02-10-2011, 05:51

Just be careful, some FFLs get a little confused and think they need to charge tax on a transfer. :upeyes:

picturethis
02-10-2011, 09:33

I have the cash in hand for the gun right now, so I don't need to save. I am not made of money, but I could buy the gun and still be able to put food on the table. I think buying a Pro is as close to a slam dunk as it gets. I know what it looks like, how it feels and how it performs. I don't know how I could possibly be let down by it. I am 30 years old, so I figure if I live til I am 75 this gun will be with me for 45 years.

I am also of the "do it right or do it twice" mindset. It's like boosting a car. No one is happy with 8psi. You will always want more and more. Same with a gun. If I buy a lesser model, I will inevitably spend more on a Pro anyways, so I want to get it "over with" now. :P

Hokie1911
02-10-2011, 09:37
Man, I hope I am wrong....but I don't see this ending well.

thecableguy
02-10-2011, 09:39

What ever do you mean Paul?:supergrin:

Hokie1911
02-10-2011, 09:42
Dude looking for his first 1911. Going all in with expectations of perfection. That's a recipe for disaster.

picturethis
02-10-2011, 09:43
Dude looking for his first 1911. Going all in with expectations of perfection. That's a recipe for disaster.

I am used to Glock perfection. If the Pro shoots even 2x as good as a G17 I will be happier than a pig in *****. :P

Hokie1911
02-10-2011, 09:51
I think GJ hit it on the head...

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16842317&postcount=135

thecableguy
02-10-2011, 09:51

Yeah I know what you mean. I do agree with his line of thinking of buy once cry once. I just hope he is 1000% sure that a 1911 is what he wants. Also picturethis are you sure that you want or need everything that the Pro comes with? If you are going to spend that kind of coin make sure it has everything you want. You mentioned the Trp and the Pro and those if I am not mistaken come one way, meaning you cannot make any changes to them. Have you looked at any of the semi-custom shops? Wilson or Ed Brown will build a gun to your exact specs. I think Wilson more that Brown will do this. Not trying to push you one way or another just giving you something to think about. Anyway you go don't forget to post pictures.

Nickpisp
02-10-2011, 09:55

Agreed.

picturethis
02-10-2011, 10:00
Yeah I know what you mean. I do agree with his line of thinking of buy once cry once. I just hope he is 1000% sure that a 1911 is what he wants. Also picturethis are you sure that you want or need everything that the Pro comes with? If you are going to spend that kind of coin make sure it has everything you want. You mentioned the Trp and the Pro and those if I am not mistaken come one way, meaning you cannot make any changes to them. Have you looked at any of the semi-custom shops? Wilson or Ed Brown will build a gun to your exact specs. I think Wilson more that Brown will do this. Not trying to push you one way or another just giving you something to think about. Anyway you go don't forget to post pictures.

I am positive I want a Pro. I have the money, and I have handled one before. Having not shot it isn't a huge deal to me, since I know it's a good shooter. I know that a 1911 is not like a Glock, and I will have SOME issues of some kind, no matter if I spend $500 on a Gi or $5000 on a custom shop gun. I know that no tool made by a man or a machine will function flawlessly 100% of the time. I am a less is more kind of guy, and that's what drew me to the Pro. I love the looks of it. Nothing flashy and nothing I don't need. The biggest thing is, I know SA will stand behind it, and if by that 1% chance I don't like it, I will be able to sell it without breaking a sweat.

I know it does seem kind of like a 16 year old getting a Viper as their first car, and that disaster is inevitable. I am just going to go for it and hope for the best. If I am unhappy, maybe Quack is looking for another Pro? :tongueout::rofl:

picturethis
02-10-2011, 10:03
Is it pretty out of the norm for someone to spend over 2k on their first 1911? I don't see why everyone thinks I am going to be so unhappy with it?

Quack
02-10-2011, 10:07
I am positive I want a Pro. I have the money, and I have handled one before. Having not shot it isn't a huge deal to me, since I know it's a good shooter. I know that a 1911 is not like a Glock, and I will have SOME issues of some kind, no matter if I spend $500 on a Gi or $5000 on a custom shop gun. I know that no tool made by a man or a machine will function flawlessly 100% of the time. I am a less is more kind of guy, and that's what drew me to the Pro. I love the looks of it. Nothing flashy and nothing I don't need. The biggest thing is, I know SA will stand behind it, and if by that 1% chance I don't like it, I will be able to sell it without breaking a sweat.

I know it does seem kind of like a 16 year old getting a Viper as their first car, and that disaster is inevitable. I am just going to go for it and hope for the best. If I am unhappy, maybe Quack is looking for another Pro? :tongueout::rofl:

Yep, ill take it off you hands for $1600, which is more than I paid for my Pro Operator.

lawdog734
02-10-2011, 10:09
It's just the 1911 isn't for everybody. Some people just don't like them. I shot my father's colt gold cup a lot before I realized how much I liked the 1911. My first was a kimber tle. It was a great shooter. If I could have paid for a pro at that time I probable would have made the same choice as you. I just hope you like it. But hey, if you don't, remember my name I'll be more than happy to buy it off you for a discounted rate:rofl:

Big_Grumpy
02-10-2011, 10:11
Sorry, but after reading through this thread, this sounds like a case of more money than brains. I'm sure a $2,500 gun is REEEEEEAAAAAL nice, but come on.

New shooter, not much range time, doesn't know anything about 1911's and looking to drop that much on an unfamiliar platform?

Even a "cheap" 1911 aces "Glock perfection". Save your money and get a nice S&W. If you still feel the need to "upgrade", I would be really surprised.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757754_-1_757752_757751_image

picturethis
02-10-2011, 10:12
It's just the 1911 isn't for everybody. Some people just don't like them. I shot my father's colt gold cup a lot before I realized how much I liked the 1911. My first was a kimber tle. It was a great shooter. If I could have paid for a pro at that time I probable would have made the same choice as you. I just hope you like it. But hey, if you don't, remember my name I'll be more than happy to buy it off you for a discounted rate:rofl:

lol. I really don't see how I can lose here. Considering I am coming from a Glock and one of the worst triggers ever made, I think even shooting a $500 1911 would be like a dream. From there I'd buy a TRP for $1,400, and then put in the order on a Pro. That'd be 3 guns and over 4 grand. I am saving myself the money and having to buy 2 lesser model guns. I am actually saving myself ~2k, if you look at it in my demented point of view LOL. :rofl:

picturethis
02-10-2011, 10:15
Sorry, but after reading through this thread, this sounds like a case of more money than brains. I'm sure a $2,500 gun is REEEEEEAAAAAL nice, but come on.

It's not like I am spending $25k on a car that will lose 5k the second I drive it off the lot. I don't think this is such a dumb purchase, but maybe to an outsider it is. I wonder what the Wife would say???? :whistling::whistling:

thecableguy
02-10-2011, 10:20
Is it pretty out of the norm for someone to spend over 2k on their first 1911? I don't see why everyone thinks I am going to be so unhappy with it?

For me I started out at the bottom. Rock Island, Springfield loaded and even a Para before I decided that this was the platform for me and ordered my WC. I am sure you will love the Pro and if you don't as others have said you will have no problem getting most of your money back.

Nickpisp
02-10-2011, 10:20
It's not like I am spending $25k on a car that will lose 5k the second I drive it off the lot. I don't think this is such a dumb purchase, but maybe to an outsider it is. I wonder what the Wife would say???? :whistling::whistling:

No one is saying it's a dumb purchase. I think you're just a little too excited about the Pro. A 1911 noob probably can barely tell any functional difference between a TRP and a Pro. My advice would be to get a Range Officer and learn the platform for a while. It's almost impossible to own just one 1911 anyway.

Quack
02-10-2011, 10:24
Screw everyone else. Get the best you can afford.

GJ1981
02-10-2011, 10:35
lol. I really don't see how I can lose here. Considering I am coming from a Glock and one of the worst triggers ever made,

I've already gave my tree-fiddy on all this, and I think you'll be fine. I'll give you credit, you've at least held one. I have seen several cases where someone bought a Pro based on the reputation to end up hating it.

Some people have sissy hands and 20 lpi isn't right for them. I know some hate silver outline sights, non undercut frontstrap, ambi safety, and even a magwell. If you like all the above, you're set.

As for the Glock trigger, some people can't get used to them. I've found with time, a Glock can be much more accurate than people give it credit for. What I'm saying is, if you can master a less than stellar trigger, you might notice a difference with a great one.

picturethis
02-10-2011, 10:38
I can't imagine 20 lpi being too abrasive for anyone but those with the softest hands. I can't say how it handles while shooting, but I was able to grip it and actually enjoyed the secure feeling. MUCH nicer than the Glock RTF feeling.

Quack
02-10-2011, 10:42
Some people have sissy hands and 20 lpi isn't right for them.

That would be Hokie....VERIFIED

GJ1981
02-10-2011, 10:43
I can't imagine 20 lpi being too abrasive for anyone but those with the softest hands.

I'll say this, run a high round course and you'll either love or hate it. My hands are coarse as can be from years of weightlifting and I feel the checkering after loads of shooting. It's not enough for me to not use 20lpi, just an observation.

If you don't shoot like the above, you may never notice.

picturethis
02-10-2011, 10:44
I'll say this, run a high round course and you'll either love or hate it. My hands are coarse as can be from years of weightlifting and I feel the checkering after loads of shooting.

If you don't shoot like the above, you may never notice.

My hands are well used from work, so they're tough. I can't imagine myself ever shooting more than 300 rounds in one day, and never in back to back days. I think I will be fine.

thecableguy
02-10-2011, 10:45

:rofl: that is one his biggest complaints about the TRP.

picturethis
02-10-2011, 10:47
Screw everyone else. Get the best you can afford.

Kinda how I am coming from. I see it like this

Option A:
- buy Pro for $2,400 and be perfectly happy

Option B:
- buy Range Officer for $700
- buy TRP for $1,400
- buy Pro for $2,400

Option A is cheaper, and I guess I just have my heart set on it. I am not one of those guys who will turn my Pro into a safe queen. Let me ask you guys this... Is there even a void that I will need to fill after I have a Pro in hand? I can't see myself spending more than $,1500 on a second gun after the Pro. Could a TRP do anything better than the Pro? CCW, home defense, range use, etc?

Nickpisp
02-10-2011, 10:48

Didn't he get the padded front strap option on the Brown he ordered? I think it's called the "Maxi-pad" option.

picturethis
02-10-2011, 10:48
I take that back. I much prefer the look of Armory Kote than Black T, but function is better than form to me. :)

picturethis
02-10-2011, 10:50

hokie is living the dream. Stay at home dads are rare now days. I envy the guy to be 100% honest. My child is my life, and I work 55-90 hours a week to make sure her life is as good as possible. To be able to stay at home with her every day would be both amazing and maddening at the same time lol.

/thread jack

Rinspeed
02-10-2011, 10:50

Option A:
- buy Pro for $2,400 and hopefully be perfectly happy

Fixed it for you. :supergrin:

picturethis
02-10-2011, 10:51
Fixed it for you. :supergrin:

lol, appreciate it. :supergrin:

GJ1981
02-10-2011, 10:53

Option A:
- buy Pro for $2,400 and be perfectly happy

Option B:
- buy Range Officer for $700
- buy TRP for $1,400
- buy Pro for $2,400

Could a TRP do anything better than the Pro? CCW, home defense, range use, etc?

Option C:
Buy the pistol you want and lots of ammo to go with it over Option B.

I'm not sure that I don't wanna :popcorn: or not on which will do XYZ better than the next.

But, as I've said before, depending on your shooting volume, you may not realize the difference between either. I find accuracy guarantees to be for suckers, in CCW, HD, etc, you're not going to see the difference. Those situations are based on your skill and training level more than the pistols 1.5" vs 2.5" groups.

Get the one YOU want and USE IT.

GJ1981
02-10-2011, 10:55
I much prefer the look of Armory Kote than Black T, but function is better than form to me. :)

Honestly, Black-T is overrated, IME. They claim it will still resist corrosion after it wears off but I feel bare metal IS unprotected metal.

Black-T wears much fast, FYI.

Really, I think you should have gone with a Custom Carry and had it YOUR exact way.

picturethis
02-10-2011, 10:58
Get the one YOU want and USE IT.

That's why I settled on a Pro. I had a TRP in hand and the guy wanted $1,400. I asked if he could flex on the price and he said he didn't need to flex, since he could sell it for $1,400 to someone else if I didn't buy it. I passed on it, since I know in the back of my head I want a Pro, and the TRP would just give me "Pro-envy" lol... If I could buy a RIA and be happy, I would do that but I guess I am stubborn...

Same reason why my Wife likes $450 Dolce sunglasses, when you can get the same looking ones from Target for $25 I guess.

picturethis
02-10-2011, 11:00
Really, I think you should have gone with a Custom Carry and had it YOUR exact way.

I thought about it, but does the shop really give the same love to all custom guns? The fact they don't know if a Pro is going to an agent or a "civilian" made me very intriqued. I am not some mall ninja who wants to pretend to be an FBI agent because I own the same gun. I just want to make sure I get the most out of my hard earned money. I've seen how some custom shops (not gun based) cut corners if you aren't a somebody...

Big_Grumpy
02-10-2011, 11:02
Another thing... you mentioned you wanted to carry it??

Strapping a $2,500 gun on your hip is asking for trouble. Too much of liability IMO. Wear, prying eyes, the temptation to "show it off" and what happens if God forbid, you have to use it in a SD scenario? Your "fancy" gun goes bye-bye to the police.

Nope, can't agree with your logic. But if it makes ya feel good, do it.

picturethis
02-10-2011, 11:06

Strapping a $2,500 gun on your hip is asking for trouble. Too much of liability IMO. Wear, prying eyes, the temptation to "show it off" and what happens if God forbid, you have to use it in a SD scenario? Your "fancy" gun goes bye-bye to the poliice.

If my gun saves my life, the Police can have it. That is such a small % that I would be happy having the best gun I can have, assuming I need it in the most important time. What do you mean by prying eyes? Concealed means concealed...

GJ1981
02-10-2011, 11:07
I thought about it, but does the shop really give the same love to all custom guns? I just want to make sure I get the most out of my hard earned money.

No one knows, it would only be speculation to claim otherwise. I've had to return my Pro and CC so...

The reason for the CC recommendation is to get what you want for your $. Going that route would get you exact parts. Me, I'd take a Kart barrel over the NM anyday, Ionbond (or AK) for the finish, and other small parts.

In the end, you'd be close on price, just wouldn't have the "bragging rights" of the CRG prefix.

I wouldn't worry about carrying it, if ANY pistol works when you need it, it's more than paid for itself. If it gets held in a locker for 2 years, it served its purpose. The main point is carrying what YOU feel best with and have the most confidence in.

picturethis
02-10-2011, 11:13
I like the looks of the TRP with the specs of the Pro. The only thing I don't like about the Pro is that people can't seem to agree if the newer barrel is up to par. I don't want an older one if they were known to crack, but it seems like the newer barrel is still sort of an unknown.

Pro with AK would be 10000% acceptable to me. Maybe if the Black T wears out in a few years I will get it refinished in AK. Will SA even refinish a Pro in AK, or does it have to stay Black T if I go thru them?

Quack
02-10-2011, 11:19
I like the looks of the TRP with the specs of the Pro. The only thing I don't like about the Pro is that people can't seem to agree if the newer barrel is up to par. I don't want an older one if they were known to crack, but it seems like the newer barrel is still sort of an unknown.

Pro with AK would be 10000% acceptable to me. Maybe if the Black T wears out in a few years I will get it refinished in AK. Will SA even refinish a Pro in AK, or does it have to stay Black T if I go thru them?

Just buy a TRP and send it in to get a better barrel and tool steel hammer/sear.

knedrgr
02-10-2011, 11:26

Strapping a $2,500 gun on your hip is asking for trouble. Too much of liability IMO. Wear, prying eyes, the temptation to "show it off" and what happens if God forbid, you have to use it in a SD scenario? Your "fancy" gun goes bye-bye to the police.

:dunno: But then is strapping a POS on one's hip. Like the OP replied, the cop can have my gun if the inevitable happened. My life and my family's lives are priceless.

If one wants to show it off, then carry it legally OWB. And then there's the interweb, so post all of the pictures and show it off to thousands... :whistling:

Hokie1911
02-10-2011, 11:49

Saw this one coming a country mile away. :rofl:

Pretty much. I have "sissy hands" as GJ pointed out.

Didn't he get the padded front strap option on the Brown he ordered? I think it's called the "Maxi-pad" option.

I must have missed that option on my Brown checklist. :whistling:

hokie is living the dream. Stay at home dads are rare now days. I envy the guy to be 100% honest. My child is my life, and I work 55-90 hours a week to make sure her life is as good as possible. To be able to stay at home with her every day would be both amazing and maddening at the same time lol.

/thread jack

I've been home with my kids (5 & 3 in April) for 2 years this June. It's been more work than any job I've had punching a 9-5 clock. :supergrin: Yeah, it sucks that I can't afford a bunch of 1911s, but I wouldn't trade this time for them for anything.

Big_Grumpy
02-10-2011, 11:53
:dunno: But then is strapping a POS on one's hip. Like the OP replied, the cop can have my gun if the inevitable happened. My life and my family's lives are priceless.

If one wants to show it off, then carry it legally OWB. And then there's the interweb, so post all of the pictures and show it off to thousands... :whistling:

*Sigh. Well, if a Range Officer, a Loaded, a Smith, a Trojan etc... are PsOS, there's going to be a lot of unhappy people about.

I've said my peace and I'll leave it at that.

Quack
02-10-2011, 11:57
*Sigh. Well, if a Range Officer, a Loaded, a Smith, a Trojan etc... are PsOS, there's going to be a lot of unhappy people about.

I've said my peace and I'll leave it at that.

they're POS', just like a $2500 gun is a liability and asking for trouble.

knedrgr
02-10-2011, 12:00

Then some will argue that an $800 pistol is still too much, while a $150-400 is just fine.

Hell, we should all carry a Hi-Point since those are about $150.

Big_Grumpy
02-10-2011, 12:00
Like I said, if it makes you feel good, do it.

GAFinch
02-10-2011, 14:31
Hope you've thought about holsters already...they have to be special ordered sometimes also.