ATTN Moss 930 SPX Owners - Pls help! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ATTN Moss 930 SPX Owners - Pls help!

mdfd
02-08-2011, 16:13
So I go to pick up my brand new 930 SPX just now and noticed that the front pin on the receiver is much shorter than the rear pin. Is this normal?

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5058/5428912975_7e6a43c960_b.jpg

I've heard that the trigger assembly wiggles a little, but this particular one wiggles ALOT. It wiggles more when the bolt is closed, but still wiggles a bit when the bolt is opened. I am wondering if the shorter pin is an issue and if so is it a contributor to the wiggle?

I need your help to check out yours and see if there is one shorter pin in the receiver than the other. As of now, my FFL is holding on to the SG and it will be returned tomorrow if I do not tell him otherwise. It seems there is no other one available for another 2-3 months....

I need to know if this is normal and if I should just accept the SG or hold out for another 2-3 months down the road?

thanks in advance for your help!:wavey:

m24shooter
02-08-2011, 16:18
The pins should be flush with the outside of the reciever.
If this is a new gun, I don't know what to say. If it is used, then I would say someone put the wrong pin in.

Jon_R
02-08-2011, 16:26
The pins should be flush. If new call mossberg and tell them to send you the cheap pin. :)

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=23270/pid=9343/Product/1580_TRIGGER_HOUSING_PIN

mdfd
02-08-2011, 16:29
The pins should be flush with the outside of the reciever.
If this is a new gun, I don't know what to say. If it is used, then I would say someone put the wrong pin in.

yeah, this is supposed to be a new gun straight out of the box with the Mossberg stickers still on the forearm and shoulder stock. Build date of Jan 2011, has the sling attachment mount underneath the forearm....here's the other side, some cosmetic issues along the trigger guard, a bit of the same finish wear on the other side of the ghost ring sight base as well. All of which separately alone didn't really bother me until I noticed the shorter pin and now in collective whole it gives me reason to pause and makes me ponder.....:dunno:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5014/5428914221_9b7fb5937f_b.jpg

there were also scrape marks on the feeder and you can tell it was shot by some small residue on the breech. My FFL said it was test fired from the factory. Is this normal?

Ride5C2
02-08-2011, 16:35
Pins are both the same length, as M24 said, both side should be flush.

mdfd
02-08-2011, 16:41
The pins should be flush. If new call mossberg and tell them to send you the cheap pin. :)

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=23270/pid=9343/Product/1580_TRIGGER_HOUSING_PIN

is it just me? it's the principle of the matter for me I guess...it kinda bothers me that I would need to do such a thing from the get-go on a supposed brand new gun...It makes me wonder what else is wrong with it? Should I just have him return it and wait 2-3 months for another sample?

Jon_R
02-08-2011, 16:45
is it just me? it's the principle of the matter for me I guess...it kinda bothers me that I would need to do such a thing from the get-go on a supposed brand new gun...It makes me wonder what else is wrong with it? Should I just have him return it and wait 2-3 months for another sample?

If it is just the pin Mossberg can probably send it to you in 2 days. It would be cheaper for them then shipping back and forth. Up to you I was not recomending you buying it just it is cheap for them to make it right. They probably have a a bin full of them.

If you don't like the other stuff then send it back.

mdfd
02-08-2011, 17:24
If it is just the pin Mossberg can probably send it to you in 2 days. It would be cheaper for them then shipping back and forth. Up to you I was not recomending you buying it just it is cheap for them to make it right. They probably have a a bin full of them.

If you don't like the other stuff then send it back.

thanks for the info, I'm just kinda turned off by this one in particular I guess....it's been a couple of months since I shouldered a 930 SPX, but even this one felt like the LOP on the stock was a bit longer than the one I saw a few months ago...just something abit off/different....of course the sample I saw a few months ago was an older version as indicated by no sling mount underneath the forearm....I wonder if the LOP is different between the older ones and the new ones?

mixflip
02-08-2011, 19:27
Dang that sucks? The test fire residue and assembly scuffs probably would not make me want to return it but as you said the combination of those and the short pin would probably make me take it back to your dealer and have him order a pristine model. After all you did pay full retail price for it and it is brand new.

Now if it was used or you got it at a discounted price then I'd keep it and fix it. But you said its straight from the factory new.

Personally Ithink its unacceptable and I'd want a new one regardless of the wait to get it. Sadly it does happen, especially with large mass produced guns, that an issue like this might get passed QC. The real issue is how well the company goes out of its way to fix any customers issues.

mdfd
02-08-2011, 19:36
Dang that sucks? The test fire residue and assembly scuffs probably would not make me want to return it but as you said the combination of those and the short pin would probably make me take it back to your dealer and have him order a pristine model. After all you did pay full retail price for it and it is brand new.

Now if it was used or you got it at a discounted price then I'd keep it and fix it. But you said its straight from the factory new.

Personally Ithink its unacceptable and I'd want a new one regardless of the wait to get it. Sadly it does happen, especially with large mass produced guns, that an issue like this might get passed QC. The real issue is how well the company goes out of its way to fix any customers issues.

thanks guys - I think this is where I'm at. I'm going to pick up my refund tomorrow and just wait until more comes in stock...

ScrappyDoo
02-08-2011, 19:40
Hey I basically concur with what everyone said. It sounds like you're saying it was a new shotgun, New In Box, but you bought it "used" as in from someone else claiming it was New In Box.

IF That is the case, I am thinking they tried to take it apart and put it apart incorrectly? I mean other than the most general attempts at removal, field stripping is a little intensive -- I have to watch Mixflip's video every time, and without it I'm lost. And it's still very intensive as in DO THIS THEN THAT NOT THIS Etc.

Also, Congrats on an excellent choice -- Don't get dismayed!!! AT WORST You just call Mossberg and tell them to give you what you need - if you have trouble with Mossberg TAKE IT TO FACEBOOK, I have read several different stories and even myself have tried -- you say something (normally your complaint/problem) on Facebook, their hossman bossman gets back to you with your part/solution/etc. Simple as that!

mdfd
02-08-2011, 19:52
thanks guys - just to be clear:

I placed an order with a local FFL dealer. He was referred to me by another member here who bought a 930 SPX from him only weeks ago. I have met the FFL face to face and he seems like an honest, straightup guy that gave me no reason to think otherwise. He placed an order for a new one with his distributor who had only this one left in stock.
I was told this is a BRAND NEW IN THE BOX 930 SPX. I just expected it to be in better condition/a better sample for a BRAND NEW one than what I got. I have told my FFL to return this one and refund me my money back since none of his distributors can provide a certain timeframe for acquiring another new one. I have asked him to give me a call when he locates another one. I plan on picking up my refund tomorrow hopefully with no issues.

ScrappyDoo
02-08-2011, 20:11
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/247/img0059ph.jpg (http://img16.imageshack.us/i/img0059ph.jpg/)

I just found this pic -- I knew I had snapped a quick few pics the day I got this Bad Mother F!@#$R!!! This is from early afternoon , Super Bowl Sunday, 2010 ... I had went to my local Dick's looking for Remington 597 magazines for the new Rem 597 I had bought the previous Monday. They sent me to the PA Dick's across the river. This Dick's was Bustling and a-hustling with people and MANY Soooo Many firearms, it was like Nirvana compared to the Jersey Dick's. And I asked if they had the Benelli M2 Tactical I had fallen in love with, but they only had the M2 Field... At first glance, from top shelf, hey, its' $890 rather than $1250 for the Tac I saw... the guys like, if you want the M2 Tactical, I have something in the back, I've been saving because people ask all the time and we sold so many recently and I just don't want so many doooshes getting them just cause they read about them on the internet! [perish the thought!!! lol] and there he comes with it : *The* Mossberg 930 SPX .... oh yeha baby. Conventional Stock, Ghost Ring Sights by LPA, 7+1 capacity with magazine extension by Choate, it was superb. And it was my new Bad Mother F#@*#! ... and all I cared about during the Super Bowl that year.

m24shooter
02-08-2011, 20:22
Ok, I'm pretty sure I know what you've got. I thought this might be the case, but I wanted to wait until I got home to verify it from work.
You have a 590 pin in your 930. I thought the pin looked off, and not just the length. When I got home I drifted the pin out of my 930 and put in a 590 pin. The ends of the pins are different between the two, as are the lengths.
You have some surface wear on the trigger guard assembly where there shouldn't be any. I've beat the hell out of mine and I don't have wear where yours does.
The guns do get test fired, so that could be the factory test firing. However, given the wear you've indicated and the issue with the wrong pin being in there, I think you may very well have a gun that has been messed with. Could have been at another shop, could have been from someone who bought it and returned it for whatever reason, I don't know.
But you definitely have a 590 pin in there.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/Aimpro%20rail/100_2427.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/ETA%20gear/dozerrcvrright.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/ETA%20gear/dozerloading.jpg

DFin
02-08-2011, 20:26
mdfd,
Is the bolt handle stock or did you add that? Mine is 2 years old and has a bolt handle like ScrappyDoos'.

mdfd
02-08-2011, 20:33
mdfd,
Is the bolt handle stock or did you add that? Mine is 2 years old and has a bolt handle like ScrappyDoos'.

I believe the newer 930 SPX's have the bolt handle as pictured in my post. It is stock. I snapped that pic at my FFL right after I inspected it after he took it out of the box. Like I said before, the gun was supposed to be brand new I had it in my possession all of about 5 minutes before snapping that pic with my camera phone.
From what I gather the following are the differences between the older 930 SPX's and the newer ones (this one was dated Jan 2011):
- round cylindrical bolt handle
- checkered forearm stock
- front sling mount under forearm

and I'm not sure but I can almost swear that the LOP is slightly longer on this one that I handled this afternoon vs. the older version I handled a few months ago....

mdfd
02-08-2011, 20:36
Ok, I'm pretty sure I know what you've got. I thought this might be the case, but I wanted to wait until I got home to verify it from work.
You have a 590 pin in your 930. I thought the pin looked off, and not just the length. When I got home I drifted the pin out of my 930 and put in a 590 pin. The ends of the pins are different between the two, as are the lengths.
You have some surface wear on the trigger guard assembly where there shouldn't be any. I've beat the hell out of mine and I don't have wear where yours does.
The guns do get test fired, so that could be the factory test firing. However, given the wear you've indicated and the issue with the wrong pin being in there, I think you may very well have a gun that has been messed with. Could have been at another shop, could have been from someone who bought it and returned it for whatever reason, I don't know.
But you definitely have a 590 pin in there.

thank you M24, I really appreciate you looking into it. Yeah the wear on the trigger guard and similar wear on the ghost ring sight base kinda made me look a bit closer to discover the shorter receiver pin the way it is...
Now the question is why the hell is there a 590 pin in a "BRAND NEW IN THE BOX 930 SPX"?!?! Something is not right here, and I'm glad I didn't just bring it home thinking I can fix it. In reality, I probably could but it just isn't right when I am paying for what is supposed to be a BRAND NEW IN THE BOX one, not one that was messed with....

zagzig
02-08-2011, 20:55
Just got your PM.

The trigger guard wiggle is very common and not an issue. I think mixflip and M24 can confirm this.

I just double checked my 930 SPX and it does not have the same wear that you're seeing, nor the pin issue. It is likely that my 930 came from the same distributor that yours did. From what I recall, the FFL explained that they just received that batch.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but I'm sure it will get resolved. Keep us posted.

mixflip
02-08-2011, 21:00
Way to go M24shooter!!! You da man for spotting that 590 pin.

m24shooter
02-08-2011, 21:01
From what I gather the following are the differences between the older 930 SPX's and the newer ones (this one was dated Jan 2011):
- round cylindrical bolt handle
Correct. The enlarged bolt handle is supposed to be on the newer production guns.
- checkered forearm stock
The forearms are the same.
- front sling mount under forearm
The sling mount is one of the new changes.
and I'm not sure but I can almost swear that the LOP is slightly longer on this one that I handled this afternoon vs. the older version I handled a few months ago....
The stocks are the same. Long.
However, the big difference between the various production runs are the barrels. There are three generations of barrels/front sights.
Original production barrels have thin walls and the low front sight pedestal.
Second gen barrels have thin walls, and the same front sight pedestal on a riser to elevate the overall sight height. It literally looks like a fab shop retrofit fix.
Third gen barrels are thick and have a sight that looks like a first gen, but has the actual front sight blade set higher. They look very similar to the first gen LPA sight, but if you look closely the roll pin location and sight ears are noticeably different, especially if you have them side by side.
All this said, there are still some first gen barrels being put on new production guns with the new bolt handle and front sling point.

m24shooter
02-08-2011, 21:04
The trigger guard wiggle is very common and not an issue. I think mixflip and M24 can confirm this.
Correct. It is common to have some wobble. That can either be accepted (so long as it is not inducing feeding problems) or you can add some aluminum tape to the inside of the receiver or use a sidesaddle to snug up the fit.
Having a pin for a 590 in there may be a whole new ballgame. I wouldn't run it like that.

m24shooter
02-08-2011, 21:08
Way to go M24shooter!!! You da man for spotting that 590 pin.
I was in meetings all afternoon with the Chief and I didn't have but a few minutes to check the board. I saw that and thought that the undersized pin looked an awful lot like a 590 pin on the end profile, and I knew the receivers were wider on the gas gun. But I didn't want to throw that out without verifying it first. Once I got home (after even more meetings) I checked it and was able to duplicate that look. It is rather curious, and I really wonder how that happened on a factory gun. I guess it is possible that somehow a 590 pin got stuck into a 930. Odd, certainly. But in light of the rest of what is described with the wear on the shotgun I'd be more than a little suspect.

mdfd
02-08-2011, 21:08
the more I think about it the more suspicious I get....I should have taken a pic of the feed area, but it was scratched up pretty good. I find it hard to believe that a test fire session from the factory scratched that area up that badly.....I mean there were numerous scratches on the feed ramp....I think the distributor sent me the reject mutant special.....

I saw mixflip's video on the trigger assembly wiggle. His was acceptable to me. My sample is definitely NOT. I mean the wiggle was bad with the bolt closed and open. I suspect the shorter pin made it worse.....

thanks again M24 and the rest of you guys! You saved me alot of aggravation, and certainly not what I would have wanted as a first experience on my 930 SPX....

Are there any links to pics of the various generations of barrels? I am slowly but surely becoming an educated 930 SPX shopper and want to be able to tell before I put my hard-earned cash down for one....

m24shooter
02-08-2011, 21:15
Look at the lifter on mine above. That is what a lifter that has seen a lot of use looks like. When it was new it had no wear on it.
Here is what it looked like after some pretty heavy use, but still fairly new.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/elevatorwm.jpg

This is what it looked like later.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/cutportwm.jpg

I wish I had some pics that were before the lifter got worn. There was no finish discoloration or anything. I think you have a questionable gun.

mdfd
02-08-2011, 21:25
I would say that the lifter on my sample was almost a worn as that! I mean the overall coloration of the entire lifter was that of a darker tone but there were many scratches where the brass left lines of travel through the length of the lifter....

BTW, thank you for the proper term, "lifter"...

mdfd
02-08-2011, 21:30
Just got your PM.

I just double checked my 930 SPX and it does not have the same wear that you're seeing, nor the pin issue. It is likely that my 930 came from the same distributor that yours did. From what I recall, the FFL explained that they just received that batch.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but I'm sure it will get resolved. Keep us posted.

thanks zag - seems like this one was the only one he could get. It came from his distributor out in Quincy - is that where yours came from?
Well, the only option I have is to just get my money back and the search for a 930 SPX goes on......:faint:

Ride5C2
02-09-2011, 07:14
thanks zag - seems like this one was the only one he could get. It came from his distributor out in Quincy - is that where yours came from?
Well, the only option I have is to just get my money back and the search for a 930 SPX goes on......:faint:
Check with Dick's, that's where I got mine when they first came out and saw one this weekend at Dick's again.

DRAGON1970
02-09-2011, 21:05
Call the factory, have them send you the correct pin then shoot the snot out of it. After a couple 3-gun matches you won't notice the wear.