Help Kimber Broke.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help Kimber Broke....

Fifty Thousand
02-08-2011, 21:18
Ok fjrst off. This is my first 1911. Kimber Pro Carry II. Bought brand new 2 weeks ago. So still never fired except factory test round. With a full mag, kimber, chip McCormick and Wilson Combat the gun jams. Now this only happens when theres 6 or more rounds in the mag. I cant for the life if me figure this ine out. Ive tried Corbon, speer gold dot and federal. Range ammo all with same results. The slide will nit close and the gun is not picking up a round. Please help.

GeorgiaRedfish
02-08-2011, 21:18
ooohh man hold on for this ride. This is one 1911 forum not to bash kimbers in.:rofl:

UbtN- unverified before the Nick

Oh and call kimber and let them deal with it. I've heard of them paying shipping both ways too.

Fifty Thousand
02-08-2011, 21:20
I love the gun. I just want it fixed. Im not bashing anything. I am keeping this pistol as my first 1911

Quack
02-08-2011, 21:20
check your extractor.

are you limp wristing?

could also be the recoil spring

Fifty Thousand
02-08-2011, 21:25
Again still never fired. It wont pick up the first round in the mag to fire at all. I guess i will just call kimber. I would rather get it fixed locally though you know instead of shipping and being gone 6 wreks.

Hokie1911
02-08-2011, 21:26
I thought Kimbers NEVER broke and that was an interweb rumor.

:popcorn:

OP - hope you get your PC running right. Hopefully Kimber doesn't give you the "call us back after 500 rounds" bit...

Quack
02-08-2011, 21:30
Again still never fired. It wont pick up the first round in the mag to fire at all. I guess i will just call kimber. I would rather get it fixed locally though you know instead of shipping and being gone 6 wreks.

How are you chambering the round?

Fifty Thousand
02-08-2011, 21:32
When i first noticed this problem i had the slide locked back. Inserted mag and released slide. For it to only come forward a quarter inch or so and get stuck. Round was unmoved in magazine. Then i tried to manually jack one into the chamber and sane results.

Rinspeed
02-08-2011, 21:33
Are the CMC and Wilson mags new?

samuse
02-08-2011, 21:34
Sounds like the round is hitting the feedramp or getting bound up in the chamber?

Could be a tight extractor, tight chamber, weak recoil spring, improper angle on the feedramp.

I'd try to get Kimber to fix it. If they didn't get right after a few times, dicth it...

Quack
02-08-2011, 21:36
How did you release the slide?
Have you tried fmj ammo?

Z28ricer
02-08-2011, 21:37
Try just loading to 6 on each mag and at least attempt the 500rd break in ?

Z28ricer
02-08-2011, 21:38
Combine it being tight still, with a good bit of spring pressure from the mags loaded all the way, and its probably giving it a little trouble, especially when you're trying it with HP's

Nickpisp
02-08-2011, 21:39
Lube it up really well and get a Wolff recoil spring for 4" Kimbers.

GeorgiaRedfish
02-08-2011, 21:40
Lube it up really well and get a Wolff recoil spring for 4" Kimbers.
sounded all kind of dirty

Hokie1911
02-08-2011, 21:48
This reminds me of that thread a while back with that dude that sold his Glock, bought a RIA and was determined to break it in with HPs "just because", jacked it all up and was confused as to why it wasn't working, sold it, and went and bought his Glock back. :rofl:

gearys 5600
02-08-2011, 22:00
I thought Kimbers NEVER broke and that was an interweb rumor.

:popcorn:

OP - hope you get your PC running right. Hopefully Kimber doesn't give you the "call us back after 500 rounds" bit...

I had problems with an ultra cdp, I got the "call us back after 500 rounds" After 800 rounds and still with a gun I couldnt trust. I sold it. Then had problems with my 4" pro kimber. I sold all 5 of my kimbers and bought two new wilsons.

20South
02-08-2011, 22:29
I had problems with an ultra cdp, I got the "call us back after 500 rounds" After 800 rounds and still with a gun I couldnt trust. I sold it. Then had problems with my 4" pro kimber. I sold all 5 of my kimbers and bought two new wilsons.

Has to be NC ALE :tongueout:

glock2740
02-08-2011, 22:32
I've never had to run anymore than 250-300 rounds through my Kimbers to make them 100% with HP's. Those first 250-300 rounds are factory FMJ's using Wilson or Tripp Cobra mags, running the gun dripping wet after racking the slide 100-200 times before ever firing a round. Seems funny how I've never had any issues with 9 different Kimbers using this same routine, as well as all my buddies who've bought Kimbers and followed that same break-in routine. I guess we just got the only "good" Kimbers. :dunno:As for the OP, I'd call Kimber and tell them what's happening. If they ask, then just tell them that you ran 500 rounds through it. I personally don't think ANY gun should HAVE to have 500 rounds ran through it before it's deemed "broken in". I run 250-300 rounds of factory FMJ's through ANY of my guns, before I start running HP's through them. Then after 50-100 rounds of what I plan on carrying in it for SD, without any issues, I personally deem the gun ready for SD use, whether it's for CC or HD. Works for me anyway.

gearys 5600
02-08-2011, 22:52
Has to be NC ALE :tongueout:

LOL..:rofl:

samuse
02-08-2011, 23:01
This reminds me of that thread a while back with that dude that sold his Glock, bought a RIA and was determined to break it in with HPs "just because", jacked it all up and was confused as to why it wasn't working, sold it, and went and bought his Glock back. :rofl:

That was the smartest thing he could do at that point. The gun was not reliable and was not worth wasting any money on.

The gun should run with hollowpoints right out of the box. Wasting 500 rounds of ball ammo is not going to somehow fix the gun.

He "jacked it all up" with hollowpoints. :tongueout:

I must have missed that section in the Kuhnhausen manuals.

Can you tell me what exactly gets "jacked all up"? I need to check all of my 1911s for this condition since I'm sure I've run hollowpoints in 'em before the mythical "break-in" period was over.:rofl:

Hokie1911
02-08-2011, 23:04
That was the smartest thing he could do at that point. The gun was not reliable and was not worth wasting any money on.

The gun should run with hollowpoints right out of the box. Wasting 500 rounds of ball ammo is not going to somehow fix the gun.

He "jacked it all up" with hollowpoints. :tongueout:

I must have missed that section in the Kuhnhausen manuals.

Can you tell me what exactly gets "jacked all up"? I need to check all of my 1911s for this condition since I'm sure I've run hollowpoints in 'em before the mythical "break-in" period was over.:rofl:

Oh brother... :rofl:

Fifty Thousand
02-08-2011, 23:04
Ive tried FMJ and got this issue. Then tried the HP's. Im gonna try to load 4-6 in each mag and put a couple 100 down it. See what happens i guess. BTW all the mags were brand new also.

Z28ricer
02-08-2011, 23:37
Ive tried FMJ and got this issue. Then tried the HP's. Im gonna try to load 4-6 in each mag and put a couple 100 down it. See what happens i guess. BTW all the mags were brand new also.

You're still just trying to let the slide grab a round, off a mag that has a brand new spring, with a new gun that may be a little tight out of the box..

Try this suggestion below, then head off to the range....

running the gun dripping wet after racking the slide 100-200 times before ever firing a round. I run 250-300 rounds of factory FMJ's through ANY of my guns, before I start running HP's through them. Then after 50-100 rounds of what I plan on carrying in it for SD, without any issues, I personally deem the gun ready for SD use, whether it's for CC or HD. Works for me anyway.

Agent6-3/8
02-09-2011, 00:01
Ok fjrst off. This is my first 1911. Kimber Pro Carry II. Bought brand new 2 weeks ago. So still never fired except factory test round. With a full mag, kimber, chip McCormick and Wilson Combat the gun jams. Now this only happens when theres 6 or more rounds in the mag. I cant for the life if me figure this ine out. Ive tried Corbon, speer gold dot and federal. Range ammo all with same results. The slide will nit close and the gun is not picking up a round. Please help.

While the gun is still in unfired condition take it to your nearest gun store and trade the paper weight for a working 1911....

:outtahere:

Nakanokalronin
02-09-2011, 01:39
First, load all the mags up overnight before you go to the range. Second, sling shot the slide, don't use the slide catch to release it. Third, use ball ammo for the first few range sessions before going to HP.

People are calling out its junk and it hasn't even been shot yet, jeez. :upeyes:

samuse
02-09-2011, 01:42
You're still just trying to let the slide grab a round, off a mag that has a brand new spring, with a new gun that may be a little tight out of the box..

Try this suggestion below, then head off to the range....

It doesn't get any better than a new mag with a new spring with factory ammo.

The only thing that could be too tight on a Kimber would be the extractor and/or the chamber. Neither of which are going to fix themselves.

Z28ricer
02-09-2011, 01:45
It doesn't get any better than a new mag with a new spring with factory ammo.

The only thing that could be too tight on a Kimber would be the extractor and/or the chamber. Neither of which are going to fix themselves.

Well, please ship me some of those fatigue free springs.

Oh and let mr glock2740 know that he should skip his breakin on the couch, err I mean exercise routine.

From what he's said, it sounds like the round is hitting the feed ramp and going no further, we'll see if he actually goes and fires it...

Oh, and how do you figure it's chamber, or extractor, when it feeds with 6 or less in the mag ?

samuse
02-09-2011, 03:43
Well, please ship me some of those fatigue free springs.

Oh and let mr glock2740 know that he should skip his breakin on the couch, err I mean exercise routine.

From what he's said, it sounds like the round is hitting the feed ramp and going no further, we'll see if he actually goes and fires it...

Oh, and how do you figure it's chamber, or extractor, when it feeds with 6 or less in the mag ?

There's less pressure on the top round as the magazine is emptied. This can allow the recoil spring to push the slide a little faster, and the round is not as tight up against the feedlips of the mag, decreasing the chance of a nosedive into the feedramp, masking feed issues and/or a weak recoil spring.

If the extractor is too tight, or not radiused properly, it takes more force to push the round up under the extractor claw, if the round doesn't make it all the way up under the extractor claw before the it hits the feedramp, you have a nosedive. If the chamber is too tight, it will nosedive more frequently since you're basically trying to toss the round into a smaller hole.

It could also be the follower tipping or the mag catch holding the magazine too low in the magwell or some other problem no one has thought of. It could even be the mags or ammo, but I doubt it since it sounds like he's using good stuff.

The gun should not need a break-in. Period. I've had 5 custom/semi custom guns that were tighter than anything Kimber's ever built and they ran right out of the box with whatever I fed 'em. I just don't think that making excuses for the gun and wasting money on 45 ammo is going to correct the problem.

G36_Me
02-09-2011, 06:26
These threads suck and depress me. Sorry to hear about this situation, especially with your first 1911. It's a bit easier if you already had a few.

Guns are like kids. You need a big family, then when little Jimmy goes to jail for running a chop shop, you can say "all the others turned out OK. I must be a good parent."

Nakanokalronin
02-09-2011, 06:56
These threads suck and depress me. Sorry to hear about this situation, especially with your first 1911. It's a bit easier if you already had a few.

Guns are like kids. You need a big family, then when little Jimmy goes to jail for running a chop shop, you can say "all the others turned out OK. I must be a good parent."

They really shouldn't depress you at all. Saying a gun is broken when not a single round has been shot out of it is just :upeyes: in my book. I have a feeling that the OP is releasing the slide with the slide lock which will hang up a round depending on the gun (1911 or not) where the sling shot method will cause no such issue. Even basic 1911s are more tightly fitted than most modern day semi-autos. Also the fact that many 1911s have the feed ramp on the frame which may or may not be smooth and polished like a ramped barrel.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfiayLNYsf97t6nQjxITRLWkMTcgH3bktjiV-UVkPNvaJUk-Zr

People gotta know that a 1911 is not as loosely fitted as a Glock, XD, SR9 or similar semi-auto pistol. They can easily be just as reliable as anything else out there which is all I've experienced with 1911s but I'm always expecting a break-in period. I've also loaded all mags for any gun I've owned a day or two before heading to the range. I also clean, lube and inspect the gun inside and out before range time so I can catch any factory burrs while I clean out packing grease/oil that is usually caked all over a brand new gun.

HexHead
02-09-2011, 07:09
What kind of ammo? Try Remington FMJ, it's shape is ideal to start with.

IQof1
02-09-2011, 08:37
have you tried the factory magazines?
did you get the correct magazines for your model?
is the "catch hole" in the magazine youre using the same size as the one on the factory mag?
are the mags you using tight in the receiver?

02-09-2011, 15:16
Just call Kimber--

My gues is the extractor tension, but call Kimber -- let them fix it. Don't void your warranty.

You should be able to drop the slide with the release or by "sling shotting it". The gun should work fine with very little oil. That is not to imply "no oil"

Good Luck

Ebb27
02-09-2011, 17:06
So let me get this straight.....you haven't actually fired the gun???

I take it then you're just hand cycling the slide and it's not feeding right after 6 rounds?

Well just for kicks ands giggles why don't you try actually firing a box of ammo or two and then let us know what happens.

glock2740
02-09-2011, 17:11

Well, since Mr. Glock2740 has had 100% reliability out of 9 different Kimbers with his "exercise" routine, I'll let my real world experience speak for itself, instead of letting my ass do my talking, like you seem to do. And not just in this thread from what I've noticed when seeing just about any of your pointless posts. Does it get lonely in mommy's basement playing on your computer?

ajstrider
02-09-2011, 17:23
Well I will try to be helpful instead of just talking ****.

First I would call Kimber, and let them know, even though I am sure they will give you the "shoot 500 rounds" spill that a lot of companies give. At least it is on record that you called.

Second I would make sure the thing has been cleaned and lubed up real good.

Then load up a full mag and try the slingshot method of chambering a round, instead using the slide stop lever, notice it is called a slide stop lever on most guns and not a slide release lever. It is generally better to slingshot a round in the chamber, though 95% of the time it doesn't matter, this might be one of those 5% times.

If it still does not work right, I would load up the mags with 5 or 6 rounds of fmj ammo and shoot a 100 or 200 rounds downrange like that, and see if that helps at all. If not, well then you get to call Kimber back.

My method costs you no money, and not a whole lot of time either. It shouldn't hurt anything either.

Fifty Thousand
02-09-2011, 17:58
Despite most of the BS comments. I do appreciate the actual responses into the problem. I have tried "sling shotting the slide", same problem. Either way gun is gone tommorrow, to Kimber, nkt to some unlucky sucker buyer.

Hokie1911
02-09-2011, 18:03
Despite most of the BS comments. I do appreciate the actual responses into the problem. I have tried "sling shotting the slide", same problem. Either way gun is gone tommorrow, to Kimber, nkt to some unlucky sucker buyer.

Did you call Kimber CS or just sending it?

Rinspeed
02-09-2011, 18:06

Now wait a minute, you're sending back a brand new pistol that hasn't been fired because it doesn't hand cycle rounds. :dunno:

Nakanokalronin
02-09-2011, 18:33
So your going to send it to Kimber and then sell it to a "sucker" ? I see a future 1911 basher if your talking this way about your FIRST 1911. Since your going to lose money on it, how much you want for that malfunctioning garbage? I've never had a 1911 malfunction and I'd like to experience it at least once.

Fifty Thousand
02-09-2011, 19:42
First off. Its not for sale. I said not to a sucker because im not knowingly selling a malfunctioning pistol to someone thinking there getting a deal. I want this pistol fixed, I AM KEEPING THIS PJSTOL. local Kimber dealer/gunsmith diagnosed the problem as extractor bent and stated that shouldnt be as mjch blueing on the load ramp. Either way Kimber is paying the shipping and seemed genuninely concerned about the malfunction. Only downside is that "it could take up to 8 weeks" to see the weapon returned. All in all i feel confident that it will be fixed good as new? Or better than new? Lol. BTW kimber didnt say anything about a 500 round break in period, once they heard it wouldnt pickup/feed the rounds.

Hokie1911
02-09-2011, 19:50
Cool. From what you're saying, sounds like they will make it right. Hope so. Good luck and keep us posted.

Fifty Thousand
02-09-2011, 19:57
Ya in no way at all am I 1911 bashing. I excited to get it right and shoot the gun. Now if Kimber doesnt get it right the second time around, I might start KIMBER bashing.....lol but i understand **** happenes that is uncontrollable.

glock2740
02-09-2011, 19:57
First off. Its not for sale. I said not to a sucker because im not knowingly selling a malfunctioning pistol to someone thinking there getting a deal. I want this pistol fixed, I AM KEEPING THIS PJSTOL. local Kimber dealer/gunsmith diagnosed the problem as extractor bent and stated that shouldnt be as mjch blueing on the load ramp. Either way Kimber is paying the shipping and seemed genuninely concerned about the malfunction. Only downside is that "it could take up to 8 weeks" to see the weapon returned. All in all i feel confident that it will be fixed good as new? Or better than new? Lol. BTW kimber didnt say anything about a 500 round break in period, once they heard it wouldnt pickup/feed the rounds.
Cool deal. Sounds like Kimber is gonna take care of you, and hopefully it's just an extractor issue. Hopefully, they're just covering their ass with the 8 week turn around and will get it back to you faster than that. Kimber makes a fine product and hopefully this won't sour you on them or 1911's in general. Good luck and let us know what happens. :thumbsup:

ilgunguygt
02-09-2011, 20:00
Well, since Mr. Glock2740 has had 100% reliability out of 9 different Kimbers with his "exercise" routine, I'll let my real world experience speak for itself, instead of letting my ass do my talking, like you seem to do. And not just in this thread from what I've noticed when seeing just about any of your pointless posts. Does it get lonely in mommy's basement playing on your computer?
Same user name as a guy that posts on a thirdgen camaro website, same attitude too, has to be the same guy. No one likes him there either!

gearys 5600
02-09-2011, 20:11
Same user name as a guy that posts on a thirdgen camaro website, same attitude too, has to be the same guy. No one likes him there either!

He cant be that bad of a guy...He is a SOONER fan !! :cool:

glock2740
02-09-2011, 20:12
I can believe that. :rofl:Cool avatar BTW. Can't wait for the new season. Great show. :thumbsup:

glock2740
02-09-2011, 20:15
He's not talking about me. He's referring to Z28ricer. Read back through the thread. My quote was responding to mr. rice-a-roni's post.

gearys 5600
02-09-2011, 20:17
My bad......."rice-a-roni" LOL

glock2740
02-09-2011, 20:19
Oh, and BOOMER SOONER!!! :cool:

Fifty Thousand
02-09-2011, 21:02
Actually next to a Colt Python I have this is probably this nicest pistol I own. I know its sad..... lol but i have a ton of assorted polymers and lesser brands.

FLIPPER 348
02-09-2011, 21:47
I did not read through the drama but have you attempted to slingshot ball and shoot the Kimber??

Z28ricer
02-09-2011, 22:03

Goodness, you cant even comprehend whats laid out in front of you.

I suggested that he try why you suggested and fire the gun.

The comment about your break in routine was sarcasm for the guy saying its broken right away, without trying anything.

Read, comprehend, maybe read again, then try to understand whats right in front of you, then post ?

Z28ricer
02-09-2011, 22:08

Oh darn, one of the probably dozens of retards i've proven wrong around there has made it to a gun forum :crying:

Too bad there are countless others i've helped numerous times, and been responsible for countless others projects coming together :upeyes:

glock2740
02-09-2011, 22:22
Goodness, you cant even comprehend whats laid out in front of you.

I suggested that he try why you suggested and fire the gun.

The comment about your break in routine was sarcasm for the guy saying its broken right away, without trying anything.

Read, comprehend, maybe read again, then try to understand whats right in front of you, then post ?
Why don't you read/re-reread yourself. I understand just fine. You are the only one with comprehension issues here. Obviously, you're a complete moron. You make that very clear. Move on and quit making a fool of yourself. Noone. And I repeat, noone, give's a rat's ass about your comments. If I'm wrong about my statement, then maybe, just maybe, someone will come to your defense. But, I doubt it. This is a GREAT forum. And all comments are welcome. But, and I bet I speak for most on here, when you have nothing to positively contribute, then you might as well just STFU and post elsewhere. This isn't a pissing match forum. We're all here to contribute and be helpful to our fellow gun owner's/lover's. If, in the future you have something positive to add, then, by all means, feel free. Everyone on here would love to hear it. But just to post BS that does nothing but stir the pot...well, I for one, and I imagine most others, don't have the time to waste to read it.

glock2740
02-09-2011, 22:24
Oh darn, one of the probably dozens of retards i've proven wrong around there has made it to a gun forum :crying:

Too bad there are countless others i've helped numerous times, and been responsible for countless others projects coming together :upeyes:
This is exactly the kind of post that I was referring to BTW. :wavey:

Nakanokalronin
02-09-2011, 22:26

Gottcha :thumbsup: I read "gone tommorrow, to Kimber, nkt to some unlucky sucker buyer" as it was going to Kimber and then sold to some sucker not knowing better. I would just try and take some tension off the extractor yourself. It will save you wait time. Its not just a Kimber thing but many manufactures don't adjust the tension on extractors sometimes and is a simple do-it-yourself task as long as you know what your doing.

Since this is your first 1911 I would do some research and learn as much knowledge as you can about 1911s in general. It will save you any headaches down the line.This site here is great to start out with and is what I first read when I obtained my first 1911: http://www.sightm1911.com/

First section to start out with in your case is "Care and Use" and then click "Reliability Secrets" then scroll down to "The Extractor".

Z28ricer
02-09-2011, 22:26
Why don't you read/re-reread yourself. I understand just fine. You are the only one with comprehension issues here. Obviously, you're a complete moron. You make that very clear. Move on and quit making a fool of yourself. Noone. And I repeat, noone, give's a rat's ass about your comments. If I'm wrong about my statement, then maybe, just maybe, someone will come to your defense. But, I doubt it. This is a GREAT forum. And all comments are welcome. But, and I bet I speak for most on here, when you have nothing to positively contribute, then you might as well just STFU and post elsewhere. This isn't a pissing match forum. We're all here to contribute and be helpful to our fellow gun owner's/lover's. If, in the future you have something positive to add, then, by all means, feel free. Everyone on here would love to hear it. But just to post BS that does nothing but stir the pot...well, I for one, and I imagine most others, don't have the time to waste to read it.

I dont need anyone to come to MY defense you fool, hell its pretty clear you can read before that post, where I flat out quoted what you stated and suggested he attempt that, before heading off the range.

Plain and clear, right in front of you, no sarcasm, no inferring, no assuming.

You're the one posting BS to stir the pot, I just posted a clear joke about your breakin suggestion being an "exercise routine" since according to the person posting before me theres no way movement of the weapons slide could help break anything in.

Go have a drink, maybe back away from the keyboard, lessen up on the interwebs seriousness.

Z28ricer
02-09-2011, 22:28
This is exactly the kind of post what I was referring to BTW. :wavey:

Indeed, cause the guys whining about a few retards that have gotten upset for being wrong, too bad theres 12 others for each of those, whom i've helped a great deal.

Always gonna get some bad apples, no matter what you do.

Z28ricer
02-09-2011, 22:30
But, and I bet I speak for most on here, when you have nothing to positively contribute, then you might as well just STFU and post elsewhere. This isn't a pissing match forum. But just to post BS that does nothing but stir the pot...well, I for one, and I imagine most others, don't have the time to waste to read it.

Pot-->Kettle ?

glock2740
02-09-2011, 22:35
I dont need anyone to come to MY defense .
I'm gonna bet that you will. Have fun in mommy's basement. :wavey:

MD357
02-09-2011, 23:04
Um, just a little HINT to the OP, the timing velocity of firing a 1911 is different from hand cycling. It should have been fired to say the very least.

Fifty Thousand
02-09-2011, 23:06
Wow im proud that I started the thread that this has happened. Lol good stuff guys.

Fifty Thousand
02-09-2011, 23:23
BTW thanks NAKANOKALRONIN for the link. You Sir have just entertained me for a couple of hours at work tonight.... This sight explains the exact reasoning I wanted to get into the 1911 pattern/platform.

MD357
02-09-2011, 23:25
I'm gonna bet that you will. Have fun in mommy's basement. :wavey:

Hey now, Kimbers run better and cars are MUCH faster in mommy's basement.

Nakanokalronin
02-10-2011, 00:56
Is there a reason so many topics on GT get thrown off track.:dunno: I can understand humor or some fun poking here and there but I think people need to go to the GNG Lounge section and get their frustrations out there instead of derailing a gun thread.

Nakanokalronin
02-10-2011, 01:52
BTW thanks NAKANOKALRONIN for the link. You Sir have just entertained me for a couple of hours at work tonight.... This sight explains the exact reasoning I wanted to get into the 1911 pattern/platform.

No problem, I still like re-reading stuff on that site from time to time. I would still try and run at least one box of ammo through your Kimber before sending it in. Your extractor could be to tight and since its your first 1911 I'm not going to suggest you try and take the tension off yourself but if you have a local reputable smith then he should be able to do it in a minute or less saving you the hassle of sending it in to Kimber. Adjusting the extractor tension is not going to void a warranty if it still has an issue.

Deployment Solu
02-10-2011, 05:48

Hey, that sounds like my Kimber Story!!! LOL!! Never again!! I went back to Glocks, though. BTW, Wilson never told me about a 500 rd break in....well........come to think of it...it ran flawlessly right out of the box!!!!!! Is that supposed to happen????? :whistling::whistling::rofl::rofl:

Hokie1911
02-10-2011, 09:07
Is there a reason so many topics on GT get thrown off track.:dunno: I can understand humor or some fun poking here and there but I think people need to go to the GNG Lounge section and get their frustrations out there instead of derailing a gun thread.

The fact that we don't necessarily stay on point here is what draws a lot of people to the 1911 subforum on an Austrian plastic website. There is a TON of knowledge here and we have fun. If you want straight guntalk....try these:

http://forum.m1911.org/
http://forums.1911forum.com/
http://www.thehighroad.org/

mstennes
02-10-2011, 09:10
:tongueout:Oh darn, one of the probably dozens of retards i've proven wrong around there has made it to a gun forum :crying:

He was problably wanting to know how to trade his 3rd gen for a real Camaro, you first gen!:tongueout:

Fifty Thousand
02-10-2011, 09:24
his you saying a first gen would make his 1911 bust off a round?

glock2740
02-10-2011, 11:05
BTW, Wilson never told me about a 500 rd break in....well........come to think of it...it ran flawlessly right out of the box!!!!!! Is that supposed to happen????? :whistling::whistling::rofl::rofl:
My Wilson ran flawlessly out of the box too. And for 3 times what a Kimber costs, they should. But I still "broke in" my Wilson the same way I do all of my 1911's, by doing my "couch exercise routine" of racking the slide about 100 times, which takes all of 2 minutes, then running about 250 rounds of factory FMJ's through it. Usually a box of the 250rd Remington Value Pack UMC's from Wally World, followed by a box of 50 Gold Dots. My Wilson was just as reliable as all of my Kimbers have been. :thumbsup:

SigFTW
02-10-2011, 11:41
My Kimber has run flawlessly so far with the rounds below.
300+ Factory ball to brake in.
350+ (reloads) Lead SWC (yes, lead bullets :shocked:) only one FTF and that was a bullet setting issue easily fixed.
300+ (reloads) Ball FMJ, not one FTF
18 (reloads) HP not one FTF with 2 full clips, more testing needed to make sure.

It eats anything I throw at it :supergrin:

Nakanokalronin
02-10-2011, 11:54
The fact that we don't necessarily stay on point here is what draws a lot of people to the 1911 subforum on an Austrian plastic website. There is a TON of knowledge here and we have fun. If you want straight guntalk....try these:

http://forum.m1911.org/
http://forums.1911forum.com/
http://www.thehighroad.org/

Read my post again. I don't mind the fun and stuff but have you not noticed an argument with bickering back and forth? I've seen it in a few threads and reading one post about the OPs thread and the next calling someone a retard just shows the thread is over. I've been to many gun forums inducing the 3 you posted and although I do get questions answered I have honestly felt that when a thread goes well I get quicker and more accurate responses from GT. When it turns into name calling and what not for a few pages like I've viewed before it gets old fast.

Hokie1911
02-10-2011, 11:56
Read my post again. I don't mind the fun and stuff but have you not noticed an argument with bickering back and fourth?

Sorry man, my response was sort of tongue in cheek. We goof on each other here, and most of us know each other well enough that it's par for the course, but I agree, sometimes it gets personal and that gets old fast when dudes start sniping each other back and forth.

ilgunguygt
02-10-2011, 12:54

Edit: I think I will leave this alone, while it would be fun to make you look like an ass, you are doing it on your own, why should I get involved?

Nakanokalronin
02-10-2011, 13:22
http://images.wikia.com/marvel_dc/images/3/37/AndHereWeGo.gif

mstennes
02-10-2011, 14:22
his you saying a first gen would make his 1911 bust off a round?

Well, I dont know about that, but it sure will get the women to notice:whistling:
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/stennes/Camaro/Camaro037.jpg

glock2740
02-10-2011, 15:44
Well, I dont know about that, but it sure will get the women to notice:whistling:
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/stennes/Camaro/Camaro037.jpg
Sweet '69. :thumbsup:

GJ1981
02-10-2011, 16:28
Looks like a 68 to me, but very nice regardless.

mstennes
02-10-2011, 17:24
Looks like a 68 to me, but very nice regardless.
Thanks no its a true 69 RS/SS vert 350, M21, I have the numbers matching equipment it came with, now its powered by a 06 LS7, Viperized T56, and a helluva lot more. I did all the work myself, sorry for the thread hijack! Its my avitar on most other sites but here it wont fit.

thecableguy
02-10-2011, 17:27
Thanks no its a true 69 RS/SS vert 350, M21, I have the numbers matching equipment it came with, now its powered by a 06 LS7, Viperized T56, and a helluva lot more. I did all the work myself, sorry for the thread hijack! Its my avitar on most other sites but here it wont fit.

Sweet ride man. Post more pics of it please.

GJ1981
02-10-2011, 17:30

The grill threw me off, also couldn't see the louvers on the rear quarters, which was why I thought 68.

Nonetheless, sounds like a beast. Makes me wanna get my classic on the road.

mstennes
02-10-2011, 18:19
The grill threw me off, also couldn't see the louvers on the rear quarters, which was why I thought 68.

Nonetheless, sounds like a beast. Makes me wanna get my classic on the road.

Thats becuase, I have removed every emblem and the quarter grills to clean up the body, I even removed the rocker trim.

mstennes
02-10-2011, 18:22
Sweet ride man. Post more pics of it please.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/stennes/Camaro/Camaro010.jpg
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/stennes/Camaro/Camaro022.jpg
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/stennes/Camaro/Camaro021.jpg
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/stennes/Camaro/Camaro011.jpg
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/stennes/Camaro/Camaro016.jpg

Hokie1911
02-10-2011, 20:19
Wow that's nice. :faint:

glock2740
02-10-2011, 20:28
:wow: Very sharp. :thumbsup:

thecableguy
02-10-2011, 20:31
:drool: :faint: :cool::notworthy:

Rinspeed
02-10-2011, 22:00
Very cool ride, screw them 1911s. :rofl:

tnhawk
02-11-2011, 08:35

My Wilson came with a procedure to follow during the first few hundred rounds. It recommended not cleaning it during the first few hundred rounds. I normally clean and lube a pistol before the first trip to the range.
The Wilson CQB and my Kimber Ultra CDP II were funtioning well in less than 100 rounds.

gearys 5600
02-12-2011, 08:20
My Wilson came with a procedure to follow during the first few hundred rounds. It recommended not cleaning it during the first few hundred rounds. I normally clean and lube a pistol before the first trip to the range.
The Wilson CQB and my Kimber Ultra CDP II were funtioning well in less than 100 rounds.

Im glad your ultra CDP II runs great for you. Mine went back to kimber, and visited a local smith, still never would run 100%.

ottobon100
02-13-2011, 18:54
Fifty Thousand. Sorry to hear about your problems with your new Kimber. I own three Kimbers; one a Pro Carry II that I have owned two years. I have not had a problem with any of my Kimbers and I shoot at the range at least once a month alternating between them and my trusty Glock 19. I use Wilson mags with the Kimbers and haven't felt the need to change any of the springs in the gun itself. As one poster stated ensure it is lubed properly. Out of the box they come pretty dry. I'm not stingy with the lubricant. I use Wilson Combat lube that comes in a syringe but I'm sure other good brands would work just as well. Personally, if I bought a new gun and it didn't work properly I would send it back. Exactly what I had to do with my Colt Combat Commander.

Fifty Thousand
02-13-2011, 20:47
Well it should be in Kimbers hands by now. If not it will be tommorrow morning. Waiting now to see/ hear what they got to say....

FLIPPER 348
02-13-2011, 21:01
Did you ever attempt to shoot the 1911 with ball 230g ammo??

mrsurfboard
02-14-2011, 10:55
Cool deal. Sounds like Kimber is gonna take care of you, and hopefully it's just an extractor issue. Hopefully, they're just covering their ass with the 8 week turn around and will get it back to you faster than that. Kimber makes a fine product and hopefully this won't sour you on them or 1911's in general. Good luck and let us know what happens. :thumbsup:

I had good luck with their CS. They told me 5-6 weeks minimum and got it back in 3. And my gun will never feed properly if I use the slide release to load the chamber, so I don't do it.

Streetking
02-15-2011, 02:10
I recently bought a Kimber CTC 4". I agree with the other posters that is absurd to think it's necessary to run fmj in the break in period. the pistol should run fine straight from the box. I shot HPs from mine with some fmjs thrown in. not one problem. HOwever, it's not my favorite 1911. My springfield is the king of the mountain.

FM12
02-17-2011, 16:16
Load the mags to max capacity and let them set for 3 to 4 days, then try again.

Goodspeed(TPF)
02-17-2011, 16:53

Here ya go. :wavey:

This should work. If not, let me know and I can resize it to anything you require. Enjoy. -Goodspeed

http://glocktalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=214076&stc=1&d=1297983177

mstennes
02-17-2011, 18:20
Here ya go. :wavey:

This should work. If not, let me know and I can resize it to anything you require. Enjoy. -Goodspeed

http://glocktalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=214076&stc=1&d=1297983177
Wow, thank you so much!!!

Goodspeed(TPF)
02-18-2011, 01:49
Wow, thank you so much!!!

No worries mate. Just payin it forward. Now put it on and wear it proud. Enjoy. -Goodspeed :wavey:

mes228
02-18-2011, 07:41
Some people when they see macho autos & trucks, and the men that drive them. They sometimes think "just how small is his ***** that he compensates that way". Or "how little sex does he get, that it's necessary to be seen in a macho machine". Just saying.

mes228
02-18-2011, 08:01
As soon as I hit the post button, I regretted saying that. I apologize. It wasn't necessary to say and not valid. Just an ignorant brain fart on my part.

glockenbill
02-18-2011, 23:06
OK kids let's play another round of guess the problem .We can do this without seeing the prooblem ,if there is a problem .take the damn thing to the range ,drop a round into the chamber ,close the slide ,no this won't damage the extractor , put a mag in with 5 round ,then complain.