Glock 26 vs Smith and Wesson m&p 9c [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock 26 vs Smith and Wesson m&p 9c

boose88
02-09-2011, 00:09
Thinkin about gettin a smaller pistol than my G19 for ccw. Looked up a few things online and ive come up with my own quick comparision

G26- less rounds in the mag, more reliable

S&W- multiple grip widths, ambidexterious mag and slide release(im a lefty so this is good) tougher guide rod, more smooth of a trigger.

Just wanted to get a few more opinions out there and if im missin anything. I love my glock but i just kinda wanted somethin different. anyone have the S&W?

Thanks fellas

youngvr4
02-09-2011, 00:13
strange, i think the trigger on m&ps are worse than glocks. however, i'd say go shoot the both and see if that helps in your decision

boose88
02-09-2011, 00:14
yeah i have rented to 26 and will rent the s&w next visit

ibuytoys
02-09-2011, 00:22
G26 Gen 4?

One plus about the G26 is that you can use the short mag as your primary and the G19 mag when you do your mag change.

OmniscientX
02-09-2011, 00:22
I believe there is a thread with the same title from a month or so ago with many pages.

The gen 4 G26 has backstaps as well. I would suggest shooting both and see which you prefer. They are both equally as reliable IMO. I prefer the trigger and grip angle on the M&P personally. Both are fine weapons.

boose88
02-09-2011, 00:28
ok ill try to look for that thread. thanks

mixflip
02-09-2011, 02:57
If you are a practical guy it would make more sense to get the G26 so you can carry one of your G19 mags as your spare mag? That just makes sense.

But sometimes you just need to spice things up and I am guilty of this myself. There is nothing wrong with that as long as at the end of the day you are proficient with what ever you choose, if its doing duty as a CCW gun.

I'd buy an M&Pc in a heart beat even though I CCW my G26 24/7. I own an M&P40 full size and I absolutely love it. I am guessing I'd love its little brother too?

Xenogy
02-09-2011, 03:26
The M&P9c is a pretty sweet gun. I just don't like how big it is. It also weighs more than a G19. I did a side by side a couple months back. I was thinking about getting a M&P9c. In the process I decided not to get it and even sold my M&P9FS and went all Glock again. I just shoot Glocks better. Their pistol selection, size, and weight just make alot more sense.

Here are the pics: Ruger LCP, G26, M&P9c, G23, M&P9FS

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/8215/photo4cte.jpg

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/926/photo6sr.jpg

Alcoy
02-09-2011, 04:54
I have a G19 (still owns), needed a smaller ccw. Got the G26 and loved it. When S&W9c came along, traded my G26 for one. After six months, traded the S&W9c for the G27. YMMV.

happyguy
02-09-2011, 05:32
Thinkin about gettin a smaller pistol than my G19 for ccw. Looked up a few things online and ive come up with my own quick comparision

G26- less rounds in the mag, more reliable

S&W- multiple grip widths, ambidexterious mag and slide release(im a lefty so this is good) tougher guide rod, more smooth of a trigger.

Just wanted to get a few more opinions out there and if im missin anything. I love my glock but i just kinda wanted somethin different. anyone have the S&W?

Thanks fellas

:dunno:

I have both although I haven't had a chance to shoot the G26 yet.

I bought the G26 because my primary carry is usually my G19 and it just made sense to me to be able to use the G19 magazines as spares and essentially have a smaller version of the same gun. Also there are times when I carry both.

I have also decided that how the gun feels in my hand is relatively unimportant. What is important, is how well the gun points and how well I shoot it. The M&P does win the comfort contest though.

The Glock is ever so slightly smaller and a tad lighter. I much prefer the way Glock did their trigger safeties compared to the S&W hinged trigger.

As to the trigger feel, that is really personal preference. I prefer the S&W trigger because in my opinion it is less demanding of the shooter.

I also like the idea that the Glock doesn't have a fully cocked striker until you pull the trigger for certain modes of carry. (AIWB)

Manual of arms for the two is essentially the same. Pull, point, squeeze.

I like both guns and also have a full size M&P but in your situation I would probably get the G26.

You can still get an M&P or two or three later on.

I just wish the weather would break so I can get out and break in my new G26!

Sorry for the disjointed post. I'm still working on my first pot of coffee. :embarassed:

Regards,
Happyguy :)

dnuggett
02-09-2011, 08:10
I have an M&P9c that gets occasional carry duty. I chose it over the G26 based on my needs. I have put approx 3000 rounds through it without a single failure.

Hands down the M&P has better stock sights.

ctfireman
02-09-2011, 08:14
I'll be adding a M&P 40c to the collection friday.

KarlThomas
02-09-2011, 09:01
I have owned both guns.
I really preferred the trigger on the M&P. It has a very short travel. Feels like single action.
That being said, I would feel more comfortable carrying a gun with a glock-like trigger. I would only want to carry a M&P if it had a manual safety, and I don't like those.
The 26 is more compact. The M&P9c slide length is similar to the G19 slide length, but the short grip more closely resembles the G26 grip length.
The stock sights are a lot better on the M&P.
I just plain shot the M&P a lot more accurately.

It's really almost a toss up. You won't be mad if you get either, IMO.

RichiesPnG
02-09-2011, 09:07
I've carried a lot of Glocks in my time but currently carry an M&P9c and compete with an M&P9 Pro. I never had any problems with my Glocks but the M&P's just fit my hand better and were more comfortable. The grip angle is more natural for me as well.

Palmguy
02-09-2011, 09:08
I've owned and carried both; both are reliable, concealable and pleasant to shoot in my experience. I'd be comfortable with either one.

Edmo01
02-09-2011, 12:24
G26 Gen 4?

One plus about the G26 is that you can use the short mag as your primary and the G19 mag when you do your mag change.

Exactly the setup my wife has. Her first Glock was a G19 and now because it is easier to carry, she's stealing my G26 more and more. My next baby Glock will be a G27 and my spare mag will be from my G23.

For the OP: I'm a lefty also and never use the slide release except to lock the slide back on an empty gun. To feed in a new magazine I use the same movements as a stoppage recovery drill. 1) insert (or smack to seat) the magazine; 2) pull the slide back and let it fly; 3) sights on target, fire. Works every time!

Edmo

Z71bill
02-09-2011, 12:43
I went out to buy a G26 to keep my G19 company - brought my M&P9c along for the trip.

Compared them side by side - not enough difference to get the G26 -

I like the flat base plate on the M&P compact -

I never understood why so many folks put a finger rest extension on a small size gun - if I wanted / needed a longer grip I would want it to hold more rounds not just be a chunk of plastic. :dunno:

My M&P compacts (I have a 9 and a 40) have been 100% reliable.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-09-2011, 12:59
I never understood why so many folks put a finger rest extension on a small size gun

I don't have, don't want, don't need, one on my Glock 26.

But I do have one on my Ruger LCP, on the mag. It doesn't add much weight (longer grip, mag, rounds, would add weight). You can switch easily between mags with it and mags without it if you want.

Because the entire grip is not lengthened, the increase in "print" is miminal. Especially for guns carried canted forward "FBI" cant, you do not want to add length to the back of the grip, but if you add to the front of the grip, the "print" will not be increased.

Just my 2 cents on why some might prefer it. With my LCP, I want a good solid 2 finger grip, and without the extension it is a little difficult to attain the solid grip. Not impossible, just more difficult.

dnuggett
02-09-2011, 14:09
I never understood why so many folks put a finger rest extension on a small size gun - if I wanted / needed a longer grip I would want it to hold more rounds not just be a chunk of plastic. :dunno:

Because it is damn annoying to have a grip too short to place all your digits on. I tolerate it on my J Frame 442 because to add a laser and use it as deep concealed secondary carry I have to. That's the only carry gun I will tolerate it on.

tango44
02-09-2011, 14:44
No matter what the M&P C is not small as a G26!

captcurly
02-09-2011, 15:21
I have a G 26 for summer carry. My buddy has a S&W M&P 9c. Both good weaons but the Glock is smaller and lighter than the Smith. The M&P 9C is almost the size of a G 36. This is a very personal decision but IMHO the Glock is better for concealment.

fastbolt
02-09-2011, 15:41
My M&P 40c feels slightly heavier in my hand and on my hip.

I prefer the trigger, grip profile, overall ergonomics and felt recoil characteristics of the 40c to the G27 ... to a point. Shooting the G26/9c and the 27/40c alongside each other has seemed to demonstrate a reduced level of felt recoil with the 9c over the 26, but not quite as much of a difference with the 40c over the 27. Less felt recoil delivered into the palm of the hand, but not really less muzzle whip/snap. Juts a subjective perspective. I've got almost 11K rounds through the 27, but just less than 2K through the 40c, so I haven't had as much trigger time with the 40c yet.

The 40c is noticeably easier on me over the course of a long range session (but I don't carry enough ammunition to make that an issue for normal carry roles ;) ).

The 9c & 40c each hold one more round in their magazines than their respective Glock subcompact counterparts. Some folks do seem to dwell on mag capacity, so I suppose that might matter to them.

I do like the enhanced strength of the M&P frame, with its stainless steel sub-chassis and the use of the coil pins.

While the 40c is not significantly larger in overall length, it is taller in the grip/slide height.

These are some pictures of my M&P 40c & G27:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/fastbolt/MP40cG272.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/fastbolt/MP40cG273.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/fastbolt/MP40cG274.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/fastbolt/MP40cG27.jpg

The bottom line is that while I do like many of the qualities and characteristics of the 40c, it hasn't made me retire my G27 to the safe to the degree I expected. If nothing else, the 27's lighter weight on the hip (and in a pocket holster) seem to make it a viable choice for me at times.

I was much more impressed with the 9c, but didn't think I needed one since I already owned a few excellent smallish 9's.

I can say that I've seen an increasing stream of the compact M&P's coming through the range as off-duty & retirement weapons. More than the subcompact Glocks & XD's of late. The owners seem quite pleased with them, too.

Edmo01
02-09-2011, 16:35
...I never understood why so many folks put a finger rest extension on a small size gun - if I wanted / needed a longer grip I would want it to hold more rounds not just be a chunk of plastic. :dunno: ...

Exactly! I bought the sub-compact G26 for the "compactness" to make concealed carry easier. Extended grips or magazines defeat that purpose.

For our G26 the grip extention is call a G19! If I wanted a bigger grip, that is the pistol I carry.

Edmo

HexHead
02-09-2011, 16:41
yeah i have rented to 26 and will rent the s&w next visit

Rent them both on the same visit. Nobody's muscle memory is that good.

dnuggett
02-09-2011, 17:51
This M&P has about 3000 rounds through it and currently shares carry duty with a Sig P229.

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x438/dnuggett/SW_MP_9c-1.jpg

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x438/dnuggett/SW_MP_9c-2.jpg

Z71bill
02-09-2011, 18:12
I don't have, don't want, don't need, one on my Glock 26.

But I do have one on my Ruger LCP, on the mag. It doesn't add much weight (longer grip, mag, rounds, would add weight). You can switch easily between mags with it and mags without it if you want.

Because the entire grip is not lengthened, the increase in "print" is miminal. Especially for guns carried canted forward "FBI" cant, you do not want to add length to the back of the grip, but if you add to the front of the grip, the "print" will not be increased.

Just my 2 cents on why some might prefer it. With my LCP, I want a good solid 2 finger grip, and without the extension it is a little difficult to attain the solid grip. Not impossible, just more difficult.

Pocket carry?

I would agree -

IWB :dunno:

If compare my G19 with the M&Pc - the G19 is "just a hair" bigger :cool:

I can even use the SAME holster - M&P9c / G19 (BTW the M&Pc does not fit in a G19 holster)

The G19 feels BIG - wife keeps saying YOUR PRINTING!!

bsg1
02-09-2011, 20:35
reliability is king.

cpolk
02-09-2011, 20:42
Having had G17s, 26s and 19s, I can say they are reliability standard I compare most handguns to. That said I have found the M&P line to be very relaible and on par with my Glocks. I currently have three M&Ps ranging from .45 to 9mm. The M&P 9c is very reliable and shoots very well. In my case I actually shoot slightly better with the 9c than my 26. So rent both find the one you like and go with it. From my experience both are equally reliable and easy to maintain.

clayinva
02-25-2012, 16:19
Good info. I have a G19 and can carry it fine in colder weather when I have more layers on, but I have not tried carrying it in lighter summer-type clothes. Thinking about some kind of subcompact as a next purchase. Is the grip on a M&Pc any longer than the G26? I have not shot the G26 but have held them; having my pinky dangle off the end seems uncorfortable,

High Altitude
02-25-2012, 17:12
I own both 19, 26, 9c and full size 9.

If I am using the 9c with out a pinky extension, I find the grip slightly too long. It gets in the way of my pinky. The grip is too short to use my pinky, but too long to comfortably get my pinky underneath it to shoot.

Feels perfect with the extension, but then the pistol is almost as big as my 19.

26 conceals better than 9c, grip is the perfect length for a two finger grip with pinky under.

I personally like the glock trigger much better. Not only for the very tactile reset, but I always feel like the M&P trigger is very vague in the take up and the trigger feels like it is bending or not that strong/firm. It feels like I am shooting a cheap toy gun or something. I believe it is the hinged trigger and also the only thing you are pushing against is the trigger spring since the striker is already cocked. The break is very good though.

GOOFA
02-27-2012, 05:44
boose88... The G26 Gen4 is the way to go. I have a pair of 26's and 27. Unbelievable firearms for their size. Your putting your life on the line with these weapons, keep to the Glock trigger. Don't be foolish going over to the M&P.

GlockFish
02-27-2012, 05:50
The Glock 26 is perhaps the finest sub compact handgun (9mm and above) ever made.

Bruce M
02-27-2012, 07:07
From my limited comparisons the Smith seems closer to the size of the G19 than the G26.

MrVvrroomm
02-27-2012, 07:36
I have both. The M&P9c compares better with the Glock 19 size-wise.

They're both great carry guns. I like the ergos of the M&P. I like how my 26 shoots.