ISP's and IP address needs... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ISP's and IP address needs...

inthefrey
02-09-2011, 09:33
Deleted...

gemeinschaft
02-09-2011, 09:36
Are we talking about WAN IPs or LAN IPs?

WAN = Wide Area Network (External - routeable addresses public seen on the internet)

LAN = Local Area Network (Internal - only those with access to your internal network can route to these addresses)

inthefrey
02-09-2011, 09:37
Are we talking about WAN IPs or LAN IPs?

WAN = Wide Area Network (External - routeable addresses public seen on the internet)

LAN = Local Area Network (Internal - only those with access to your internal network can route to these addresses)

This would be my WAN (public) IP addresses

gemeinschaft
02-09-2011, 09:55
This would be my WAN (public) IP addresses

It depends on what the infrastructure is at your company.

Does this salesman even know anything about how your infrastructure is set up? I just love when salesmen tell you they can give you a solution when what they are actually selling is a can of worms for you to open. :whistling:

I would make a list of everything that needs it's own WAN address :

1. Do you run Exchange?
2. Do you host your own Website?
3. Do you have user portals that are hosted on alternate addresses (Citrix for example)?

Once you have a list of the services that require public IPs in order to work, you will be able to make your decision.

I would also look at the potential ISP's ability to ensure connectivity, what is their process of remedy when connection is lost? Etc...

Feel free to PM me if you would rather take some of these question into a private conversation.

kc8ykd
02-09-2011, 10:15
the isp controls how many ip's you receive from them. ARIN (in the us) controls how many ip's they get. keep in mind, those isp's must justify their allocations as well.

i suspect most all isp's are going to get very stingy with their ip allocations since the last /8's of ipv4 space have been allocated.

you could try and get your own portable space. i believe the minimum allocation is a /24 for multihomed connections and a /20 for non.

it's between 1250 and 2250/year for a /24 or /20, plus $500 to register your AS.

to get an allocation from ARIN, you have to show an immediate justification for %25 utilization and %50 within one year.

it sound like you only really need a /27 tho, i imagine that shouldn't be very expensive (and a lot less wasteful than the /25 and /26 you've got currently and aren't using most of).

nat and pat aren't very complicated really. hopefully, you've got some sort of firewall anyways and are running some form of them currently.

here's the arin information if you're interested in possibly getting your own space:
https://www.arin.net/resources/request.html