I have stopped using Firefox. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I have stopped using Firefox.

Blaster
02-09-2011, 19:30
Firefox has been running dead dog slow on my laptop. Initially I thought there might be a problem with my wireless router.

I would click on a link and nothing would happen for a significant period of time. The network Icon in the tray would show no activity. Currently at Firefox version 3.6.13.

This is the second laptop that has been experiencing these issues. Both have been company issued assets. I use a VPN and IE for all work related stuff. Firefox has been my standard browser for all personal web surfing. I mention this because somehow I think the software as it is setup by corporate IT (firewall & anti-virus) may be the culprit.

Within the last few days I have discovered that Google Chrome works great. The performance difference between Chrome and Firefox is astronomical! I am not trying to bash Firefox, I think I am suffering from some sort of weird compatibility issue.

Pierre!
02-10-2011, 02:58
I also endured the 'Sluggish Firefox' period not too long ago.

Something happened with the latest release. It's back to reasonably 'frisky' for me.

I am also using version is 3.6.13 if that helps at all.

And you are right, Chrome *rocks*, but I am so used to Firefox now :supergrin:

Try uninstalling FireFox, restart the system, and re-install. This has worked for me on occasion.

I find it odd that with the same version you are sluggish, and my performance has improved.

prism
02-10-2011, 03:44
might be worth trying the portableapps version of firefox.

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

BobbyT
02-10-2011, 03:53
Do you leave Firefox open nonstop? I do, and thought they'd fixed the memory leaks with the last few versions, but the latest 3.6 started acting sluggish after I'd leave it open for a few days.

It jumps from ~100 megs of ram to the 500-800 range and slows down a bit. It's not a huge inconvenience as I leave it running for weeks at a time so I just restart it when this happens, but I'm really looking forward to seeing how they've handled it in Firefox 4 (not to mention the crazy speed improvements it's supposed to have).

beezneez
02-18-2011, 00:24
Within the last few days I have discovered that Google Chrome works great. The performance difference between Chrome and Firefox is astronomical!

I'm a fairly new Google Chrome user myself. Before that Safari and Firefox. There is no going back now!

IndyGunFreak
02-18-2011, 00:58
I've been a Firefox fan for a long time. That said, I love Chrome. It's fast, stable, has an easy interface, an also is getting a nice library of "extensions"....

It's gonna be a Firefox killer in due time.

IGF

El_Ron1
02-18-2011, 05:48
Firefox has not gotten better.

swinokur
02-18-2011, 05:53
when first opened, fast. as the day progresses, slower and slower until you have to close it and restart. I'm losing patience with this app. Chrome may be in my future

stolivar
02-18-2011, 18:41
I have quit using FF also. Chrome is the deal right now.

steve