Is 6 + 1 enough in this world [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is 6 + 1 enough in this world

Ken43
02-09-2011, 22:49
I have 6 Glocks. One of them is a mod. 36, which I carry more than any of the others. But the way the world is going do you guys think 6 + 1 or if you have an extended mag. is 7 + 1 enough?
Today I was carrying my mod. 26 with extended mag. so I had 11 + 1. What are your thoughts.

Ridgerunner665
02-10-2011, 02:18
Before the G36...I carried a 1911 for the better part of 16 years (not the same pistol the whole time though)...they only held 6-7 rounds too.

My philosophy is to make those 6-7 rounds count...

Pecos Bill
02-10-2011, 09:40
I feel safer with 7 of .45 than more rounds in a 9MM.

That said, on a hot day, thin clothing, I carry a small 9MM that only holds 8 rounds.

I can't see me going toe to toe with a bad guy and blazing away, so If I am behind cover, not a big deal to throw in another magazine. (I think I'm a better shot than that but you never know in that situation.) Pray to never be put into that situation.

JoeG19
02-10-2011, 16:13
Before the G36...I carried a 1911 for the better part of 16 years (not the same pistol the whole time though)...they only held 6-7 rounds too.

My philosophy is to make those 6-7 rounds count...

Nearly my whole career I carried either a 4" Smith 66 or a 2.5" 66 and 6 was all I had too. Like Ridgerunner665 says, I was taught to make them count.Now I carry a 36 + extra mag. - 'ole joe :cool:

T-Rod45
02-10-2011, 16:25
I've concluded that nothing is ever "enough"...

You can't account for every scenario. It'll drive you insane. You might think something is "enough" but there's always the possibility that it's not. I've settled on carrying what I can comfortably, without printing, including 1-2 reloads. That would be a Glock 26 or a S&W 642, with the rare occasion of a P3AT as back up...

No one can ever be prepared for everything...

recycooler
02-10-2011, 16:29
Why is there no hi cap mag for the 36,like the 9mm for the 18?

Foxtrotx1
02-10-2011, 16:43

Because there is no .45 full auto glock.

swampfox
02-10-2011, 17:02
Got a new G36 about two weeks ago.Carry a Pierce+1 and I have two Pierce+0 as back up,realy like the set up,I just like the 45acp.The most.Was cwp a XD-40sc with 13 rounds.So I feel better with the 45acp.go figure.

felix3544
02-11-2011, 12:45
Thoughts apply to me. I don't speak for anyone else. But I carry 6 + 1 in the pipe with any extra mag. I don't intend to be around longer then the first mag. It is to get me out of harms way. I don't intend to have a prolong gun battle with anyone.

CanyonMan
02-11-2011, 12:59
felix3544 I don't intend to have a prolong gun battle with anyone.

I knew a guy once that did not intend on being stomped to death by a bull, but........

Stay safe amigo !

CM
:horse:

recycooler
02-11-2011, 20:43

Question for all,would you buy a high cap mag if they were available for the 36?

Pecos Bill
02-12-2011, 06:41
Question for all,would you buy a high cap mag if they were available for the 36?

I would say no. Being a single stack, I couldn't carry it. At the range, it is no big deal to put in another magazine. I don't see a need for this gun to have that capability.

Front Sight
02-12-2011, 08:30
I agree with Pecos Bill!

JoeG19
02-12-2011, 10:17
I agree with Pecos Bill!

+1 - 'ole joe :cool:

Jim S.
02-12-2011, 18:53
It is only "recently" that the high capacity handguns have been on the scene.
(A while but not nearly as long as the low capacity)
We survived with revolvers that carried six rounds and were a pain to reload quickly.
We survived with autos that carried six and seven rounds and were a bit easier to reload.
As long as you are hitting what you are aiming at those six rounds are plenty good.
Most of the time.
A spare mag is considered smart.
Knowing how to reload quickly is smart too.
I do not feel under gunned with six rounds of 45.
But like T-Rod45 says, you can not account for everything, or you would end up carrying an 870 along with an M-4 and several handguns too.
A grenade and two knives, pepper spray and a loud storm whistle. :)

den888
02-13-2011, 17:50
Generally, yes. Always carry a reload or two.

T-Rod45
02-13-2011, 18:05
...But like T-Rod45 says, you can not account for everything, or you would end up carrying an 870 along with an M-4 and several handguns too.
A grenade and two knives, pepper spray and a loud storm whistle. :)

Oh believe me, I tried all that once... it printed too much though. :whistling:

LASTRESORT20
02-13-2011, 18:18
I feel safer with high-capacity 9mm 124gr -147gr JHP +P defence ....Than I would with "less of ...`much less.. of 45" ..I shoot well and on target....But one never knows when and where more scum-bags (BG`s) will pop up out of the wood work..(yes prolonged..(pinned down) life gives no choices)....Plus it is cheaper to practice with and `stay` accurate... The `very potent 9MM`...is much lighter also..If one needs to get "VERY" serious..meet big brother Mr. `10mm also high capacity...weighing in between 180-200gr range.

Sonnytoo
02-23-2011, 22:08
I like my G36. I carry one extra mag. I'm happy.
Hey, everybody wears Levi's, don't they? Well, maybe just me because I'm retired. But I always carry one extra mag in the watch-pocket. It fits it there really well; stick out about one inch; just right.
S2

Ridgerunner665
02-23-2011, 22:10
I carry 2 extra mags...same as I did with the 1911. (I failed to mention that up there in my first reply)

MrV
03-03-2011, 16:40
I carry the old 6+1 myself. The G36 is my EDC and has served me well. I can't justify carrying an extra mag...It just seems like over kill. I figure, if I can't stop the threat and find safety with 7 rounds, god clearly wanted me to come visit.

T-Rod45
03-03-2011, 16:58
So my latest alternating EDC consists of a Glock 26 with 10+1 and a backup 15-round G19 mag to replace the stock 10-rounder I had previously carried in my pocket. I feel fairly confident with the 26 rounds based on where I go on a daily basis.

The second setup is a S&W 642 loaded with 5 +P rounds and one 5-shot speed loader and a 5-round speed strip in my pocket. The 15 rounds total of .38+P keeps me content, but not as confident as reloading under stress is much more difficult and quite a bit slower to boot...

Pecos Bill
03-05-2011, 07:54
So my latest alternating EDC consists of a Glock 26 with 10+1 and a backup 15-round G19 mag to replace the stock 10-rounder I had previously carried in my pocket. I feel fairly confident with the 26 rounds based on where I go on a daily basis.

The second setup is a S&W 642 loaded with 5 +P rounds and one 5-shot speed loader and a 5-round speed strip in my pocket. The 15 rounds total of .38+P keeps me content, but not as confident as reloading under stress is much more difficult and quite a bit slower to boot...

Lighten the load dude, just carry a 36. Bigger is better, especially when a 2nd shot may not be possible.

cowboywannabe
03-05-2011, 08:21
Is 6 + 1 enough in this world

not if there is 7+1 bad guys.

T-Rod45
03-05-2011, 11:26
Lighten the load dude, just carry a 36. Bigger is better, especially when a 2nd shot may not be possible.

That is true, in the event that I'll get only one shot, I'd opt to have a .454 Alaskan on me.

But as I stated before, you can never predict the exact scenario that could play out in the event you need a weapon in self defense. For me it's all about balance. I choose a weapon that I am accurate with and can produce good follow up shots, double taps, point shooting, and rapid fire grouping with. Of course all that needs to be in harmony with a package that is small enough to conceal. For me the Glock 26 fits the bill. At 7 yards I can slow fire 10 rounds through one jagged hole. I can double tap within one inch. I can point shoot and rapid fire a full mag into center mass...

Now can I do this all with a sub compact .45? Absolutely with practice and training. Give me a .45 that is the same size/weight/capacity as my Glock26 and I'll gladly take it... sadly though, that does not exist. Therefore, I feel confident with having too many bullets than having not enough, so I compromise with a smaller caliber that I am efficient with and higher capacity.

Proper training and a .22 is more deadly than no clue and a .50BMG....

JoeG19
03-05-2011, 18:31
[QUOTE=MrV;16980431]I carry the old 6+1 myself. The G36 is my EDC and has served me well. I can't justify carrying an extra mag...It just seems like over kill.....[/QUOTE

I've never carried an extra mag to have more rounds to shoot at a bg...I carry the extra mag in case of malfunction. No other reason. - 'ole joe :cool:

streakpi
03-06-2011, 22:26
Great thread. I carry the G36 with one extra mag for the same reasons as Joe. I can drop mag pretty quick and insert a new one...

I sometimes carry the G23 IWB or OWB...just depends on my mood. More rounds...similar size. Not something I love carrying in shorts and a t-shirt. Got the PF9 or other things for that....

Sonnytoo
03-07-2011, 18:54
I carry one extra mag for my G36. I carry it in my Levi's watch-pocket. I see no need to wear a mag-carrier, although fine for those who do.
S2

G27Chief
03-15-2011, 21:36
7 rounds and a extra mag in my 36, 8 rounds and an extra mag with the P220SAS, fwwl well armed. I think like other poster said make 'em count. I carred a revolver for most of my career, when we switched to semi auto, I went with the P 220. I have never been a guy who worries about mag capacity, just combat handgun skills.

streakpi
03-15-2011, 22:26
Got the +1 for my G36 mags...don't really like them for carry. When wearing IWB, it makes grip stand out with that extra 1/2in or more. Extra mag is too bulky with extension for normal watch pocket wear.

Too picky?

Sonnytoo
03-20-2011, 20:59
[QUOTE=MrV;16980431]I carry the old 6+1 myself. The G36 is my EDC and has served me well. I can't justify carrying an extra mag...It just seems like over kill.....[/QUOTE

I've never carried an extra mag to have more rounds to shoot at a bg...I carry the extra mag in case of malfunction. No other reason. - 'ole joe :cool:

Lots of folks don't think about this. I've NEVER had a Glock mag malfunction, but you know they can and will at the wrong time.
S2

Sonnytoo
03-20-2011, 21:07
I know that we say we don't need more than six, or whatever, but in the new American Handgunner mag, Mas Ayoob has an account where a cop shot it out with a gangbanger at six feet distance or so, in about 5 to 10 seconds. The BG shot all nine from his Sig 220 and the cop shot 14 from his G21. The LEO put in a new mag, but didn't need to fire any more times.
The cop had one leg-wound. The BG was hit 7 times, but survived due to quick-service EMT's and ER room.
I know most of us aren't cops, but that doesn't mean we won't run into a BG sometime. Just food for thought.
S2

Pecos Bill
03-21-2011, 08:12
I know that we say we don't need more than six, or whatever, but in the new American Handgunner mag, Mas Ayoob has an account where a cop shot it out with a gangbanger at six feet distance or so, in about 5 to 10 seconds. The BG shot all nine from his Sig 220 and the cop shot 14 from his G21. The LEO put in a new mag, but didn't need to fire any more times.
The cop had one leg-wound. The BG was hit 7 times, but survived due to quick-service EMT's and ER room.
I know most of us aren't cops, but that doesn't mean we won't run into a BG sometime. Just food for thought.
S2

Bigger holes are better, but then, you gotta be able to hit what you are shooting at. 6 feet and 7 out of 14? And not much of a bad guy, 1 hit out of 9?

OK, I make fun of a really bad situation but you gotta admit, that is not very good shooting. On the other hand, how good would I be dodging a barrage of bullets coming at me?

hamster
04-11-2011, 20:54
The day someone shows me an example of a single incident of civilian self defense where more than one mag was used, I'll worry about capacity.

1smoothredneck
04-13-2011, 18:07
Like others said, I used to carry an officers model .45, and the capacity was the same, And I felt well armed. That said, I hardly ever carry my lightweight commander anymore. I usually reach for my Glock 27,23, or 19. And I carry spare ammo for whatever gun I carry. At least one mag. My 36 was flawless. I just decided I wanted more ammo on board for the same size platform. I have been fortunate over the years to never be out of ammo in a bad situation, And if I can keep up the tradition, I'm ok with the track record.:supergrin: Be Safe, and remember, if you are not making telling hits, you will never have enough ammo....

1smoothredneck
04-13-2011, 18:14
The day someone shows me an example of a single incident of civilian self defense where more than one mag was used, I'll worry about capacity.
I carry a spare mag even when I carried my sig P226, and when I carry my Glock 19 or 23. Extra ammo is only one reason. The best things made by man can malfunction, and that is another time when one would want an extra magazine as well. And Massad Ayoob tells of a Retired Marine during a shootout with two bad guys in a Subway store, in Fla. I believe he used a spare mag if memory serves. Been a While since I read about it.

opdsgt
04-13-2011, 18:33
I own a G36 OD and carried it as my primary off-duty gun for about a year. I've recently gravitated toward a mid-sized 9mm though (I personally enjoy my Beretta PX4 Compact, but the almost identically sized Glock 19 would be perfectly suitable as well).

Why?

Because the inconvenient truth is, it's not 1988 anymore, the year I began my LE career; defensive handgun needs have evolved just as the criminals we run into have.

I still own two 5-shots, either of which I carry w/a speed loader when it's beastly outside and all I'm wearing are cargo shorts and a tee, but if I can possibly justify an untucked button down or 'performance' polo, my 15+1 9mm is on my hip or appendix.

For a disciplined, trained, aware handgunner (sworn or civilian), more rounds is never a liability - ever. Too few rounds could be.

FWIW

21Carrier
04-14-2011, 04:46
I'm just kinda poking my head in here because I like the .45ACP and am about to decide between a 30 and 36. I have a 21SF and a 29, so I'm used to carrying more ammo, but I really don't think I'd feel under gunned with 7 or 8 rounds of .45ACP (plus a spare mag). I just started shooting pistols about 2 years ago, and I remember my first few range trips being just pitiful. I couldn't even hit a 2' x 3' target from 7-10 yards. I mean I couldn't even hit the TARGET, not the bullseye. Once I learned the basics, I started reaming out bullseyes.

Recently, I started shooting with my neighbor who has a Glock 32. He grew up in rougher neighborhoods than I, and he played with guns as a youngster, shooting them in the 'hood. I guess you could say his shooting skills would be representative of a typical bad guy with an illegal gun. The first time he went with me to shoot, it was sad (although, admittedly, no worse than I was at one point). He, like me before him, was hitting the dirt a few feet in front of the target at 7 yards (flinching like hell, like most novice shooters).

After practice and some coaching (not that I'm that good, but I hit the target), he is now getting good. The point is, I doubt most criminals are even slightly proficient with a pistol. Those of us that are actually good with pistols have become so through lots of practice, and many range trips (and lots of dry firing!). I doubt criminals or gangsters make many range trips.

I just have a feeling that if I ever got into a shootout the odds would be heavily stacked in my favor. I doubt I would need more than 2-3 shots. Now, the other guy, I can understand why he might want a 9mm holding 20 rounds; he's gonna need 'em.

opdsgt
04-14-2011, 06:07
I doubt criminals or gangsters make many range trips.

I just have a feeling that if I ever got into a shootout the odds would be heavily stacked in my favor.

I doubt I would need more than 2-3 shots.I parsed a bit of your post for effect; I'm going to politely suggest you rethink your stance on this issue.

We're going up against a new breed of criminal these days. Not all of them of course, but I've arrested gang members with military experience and armed drug dealers wearing concealable body armor.

The law enforcement community has learned the hard lesson that some criminals train just like we do, e.g. double-tap + a headshot drills (they know we wear body armor and they're shooting at our pelvis and noggin as a result).

When I came on the job, it was a relatively big deal to arrest a kid with a $100 bag of crack and a Lorcin .25 auto; these days we routinely take high capacity pistols, spare mags and sometimes rifles off those same kids.

I applaud you (and anyone else) for getting into handgunning. It's a great sport and hobby. Just don't fall into a false sense of security. If you're going to carry a 5, 6 or 7 shot gun, commit to carrying a reload and never assume you're only going to use a shot or two in a real life engagement.

Pecos Bill
04-14-2011, 07:45
I agree with opdsgt (http://glocktalk.com/forums/member.php?u=41343) and only want to add "pray, as a regular citizen, you never have to pull that gun out of the holster and thank God for LEO's.

I try and not put myself in any bad situations but BG's are everywhere. We are getting older and my wife is handicapped so running is not an option. I carry and hope there are others around me that do also if the time comes.

I used to work in a convenience store. One time there were 9 customers standing in line to make a purchase, an unarmed BG came in and tried to steal money. I stopped him from getting in the till and he fled. When I looked up, all nine customers had left the store with their unpaid merchandise. NO ONE helped.

BG's are everywhere and they look just like us.
Be safe
DanO

the perfesser
04-15-2011, 20:49
I'm just kinda poking my head in here because I like the .45ACP and am about to decide between a 30 and 36.

Have never owned or shot a G30 or G30SF, but they feel too thick in my hands. My G36, however, feels great. And a spare 6- or 7-round mag in the pocket gives me the same ammo supply that a full-sized 1911 and spare mag would give. Does anyone feel underpowered in the second scenario? Then not in the first, either.

glockguerilla
04-15-2011, 21:37
Glock 21SF--14 rounds .45

'
AK-47s used in home invasion:

http://communitypress.<wbr>cincinnati.com/article/AB/<wbr>20110415/NEWS010701/304150036/<wbr>1196/OBIT/Police-AK-47s-used-<wbr>home-invasion-?odyssey=nav|<wbr>head (http://communitypress.cincinnati.com/article/AB/20110415/NEWS010701/304150036/1196/OBIT/Police-AK-47s-used-home-invasion-?odyssey=nav%7Chead)

21Carrier
04-15-2011, 23:02
opdsgt:
Wow, that's really scary to hear that some BGs are wearing body armor and actually training for gunfights. Not good. I'm sure you know better than I being a LEO, but my limited view of a (former) gangster's shooting skills left me with a good feeling. My friend, at least from what I gather from swapping stories of mischief from our childhoods, seems to have had several guns while growing up: .357 Magnum revolver, Smith M&P .40, and a "Carbon 15" (that's what he called it, I don't really know what it is other than it's some sort of AR-15 like assault rifle).

It's scary knowing that some BGs are so well equipped, but regardless of him owning and shooting many guns when younger, he had poorly developed shooting skills (as did I, or anyone who doesn't take the time to cultivate them). Luckily for him, he had a child, got married, and moved away from that lifestyle before he did something that would ruin his future. He is a great guy and friend.

That is my only experience with the issue, and it certainly tells a different story than what you see. I would have thought that most BGs would be of a similar background/skill set, but obviously that's not always the case.

Regardless, I always carry my Glock 29 with at least one spare mag (giving me 21 rounds of some really nasty 10mm stuff), or my G21SF with 27 rounds of .45ACP. I think it is always better to have more, especially when my spare G29 mags are so small, and easily fit in my pocket, not so much with the G21 mags.

Pecos Bill:
The story you describe is absolutely terrible. NINE people just ran as you were being robbed by an UNARMED man?! I certainly would have helped. Although I would only pull my pistol as a last resort, I would definitely have helped you fight him off or restrain him until the police arrived. People are just such chicken ****s. I saw a video of an officer being assaulted by an unarmed man, and at least 20 people just walked right by like nothing happened. What BS.

Finally, the perfesser:
I own and shoot a G29 well, which has the same frame as a G30, so I know I would love the G30. Having said that, the slimmer Glocks (9mm, .40, 357Sig, G36) are much more comfortable to carry IWB, as I do. I won't lie, I know that I will likely make a decision based on ammo capacity. Although the G36 equals the firepower of a 1911, I have always thought 1911s were lacking capacity. I know if I ever get forced into pulling my pistol, I will likely be shaking, panting, and maybe even diving for cover. Hopefully, I will keep my rounds on target, but you never know how stress will affect you. Less is sometimes more, until it's not enough. I don't want to remember that when my 13th shot didn't finish the job. Especially when 6 more rounds would only cost me 2 millimeters of waistband room.

Doc Holliday
04-15-2011, 23:23
Nevermind.

Ken43
04-16-2011, 20:53
I started this thread and I really appreciate everyone's postings. Most of which I agree with. However, here is my attitude now. I started in LE in 1966 and I am still working in Internal Affairs part time. I am past the age of jumping into a robbery or other crime going down, unless someone's life is threatened. So here is what I am looking at. I carry a CCW to protect my family and myself. When someone sees my gun it will probably have flame coming out the muzzle. In my case I don't need 15 rounds. I will do what I need to do and get the heck out of there. If my family or myself are not in danger I will be a good witness for the police when they arrive. At age 67 I don't move as quick as I used to and it takes me a lot longer to heal. For you younger guys and LE officers I commend you and you should carry what you feel comfortable with. The main thing is you need to go home every day after work, I don't care if the bad guy goes home or not.
Be safe.

streakpi
04-18-2011, 21:19
I switched from carrying my G36 to now carrying a Kel-Tec PF9. Sure, I carry either 147gr HST ammo or 124gr short-barrel speer JHP...but I get the same capacity (minus one) as my G36 in an extremely compact and light IWB configeration. I've also gone from carrying my G36 to carrying a G23. They are the SAME size...but I get 13+1 .40 cal rounds in my G23 and the weight is practically the same.

I'm learning to shoot better. I attend tactics classes, got my CCW, go to the range, dry fire my weapons, and understand local, state, and federal laws...but, if push came to shove, I think I would simply feel better with a higher capacity weapon.

So now my G36 sits in the living room, hidden from sight but ready to help protect the house...instead of riding on my side in the KS plains. Oh well.

opdsgt
04-19-2011, 05:37
Glock 21SF--14 rounds .45That's my duty rig, but it certainly isn't useful to most people for CCW.

T-Rod45
04-19-2011, 10:51
Sometimes I wish I was fat or a sloppy dresser so I could carry a larger pistol... :embarassed:

21Carrier
04-19-2011, 21:17
That's my duty rig, but it certainly isn't useful to most people for CCW.

I carried (as my name implies) my G21SF for over a year. Although it's certainly harder than a G26 would be (and my current EDC, a G29), it wasn't really that bad. I live in Alabama, and consequently, wear warm weather clothing a lot. Even without heavy, loose, baggy clothing, I was able to conceal my G21SF quite easily. I wore it in a Don Hume IWB holster in the 5 o'clock position. And I am neither "fat" nor a "sloppy dresser".

I had to be careful bending over and stuff like that, but there were many times that I would go a whole day and my girlfriend wouldn't even know I had it on me. Although a smaller gun is more concealable, don't rule out a big one. After all, the additional slide length easily hides in your pants. The only part that is harder to conceal is the extra inch of handle length.

If you can hide a compact or sub-compact auto, you can make a full-size work without too much extra work. You just need to put one on and see how it fits. I also carried it in my slip-on Redwing boots on more than one occasion (in a foam holster for padding). With the padded holster, it's comfortable, and only the weight is noticeable.

We as carriers need to remember that 99% of people don't look at peoples' mid-sections for "gun-bumps", and the few people that might see a little bump or bulge likely wouldn't think anything of it. They might think it's a phone holder, insulin pump, flashlight, or anything, but if you look pretty normal, they wouldn't think of a gun. We get so worried about making the gun TOTALLY invisible, and forget the reality is that most people don't look for guns, and wouldn't realize what the "bump" was even if they saw it. Carry what you have, and what you feel comfortable with.

the perfesser
04-19-2011, 21:22
Sometimes I wish I was fat or a sloppy dresser so I could carry a larger pistol... :embarassed:

Sometimes I wish I was not fat and could be a sleeker dresser more comfortable in my clothes, have more realistic carry options, and have more wardrobe choices..... Being fat and out-of-shape ain't all it's cracked up to be, believe me!

Seriously, the only CCW options that work for me in my warm climate are pocket carry of a snubbie or Kahr PM9.

eracer
04-20-2011, 03:59
The day someone shows me an example of a single incident of civilian self defense where more than one mag was used, I'll worry about capacity.This.

opdsgt
04-20-2011, 05:12
Although a smaller gun is more concealable, don't rule out a big one. After all, the additional slide length easily hides in your pants. The only part that is harder to conceal is the extra inch of handle length.I too carried a full size duty weapon off-duty for years (Beretta 92F), but in the end, the gun you consistently leave the house with is the gun best suited for concealed carry; smaller rather than bigger generally rules the day.

But- I applaud you for committing to hiding a Glock 21. It's more than most people would/could comfortably hide for any period of time.

Note: You can't discount weight on the big guns. Don't forget slide and frame thickness too, all three add to the bulk and discomfort of carrying something like a G21 over thinner, shorter, lighter fare.

Good discussion. Stay safe.

KC Kahr
04-23-2011, 20:04
......Proper training and a .22 is more deadly than no clue and a .50BMG....
Well hell, just get a Calico 22 with a 100 round mag, some training and you're golden...

T-Rod45
04-23-2011, 21:38
Well hell, just get a Calico 22 with a 100 round mag, some training and you're golden...

Pretty much!

streakpi
04-23-2011, 23:24
I find myself carrying my Kel-Tec PF9 (7rds +1) since it fits with EVERYTHING. Yes, would love to strap on the G36...but the PF9 just fits...I almost forget I am wearing it...I shot well with it...and the laser is a nice addition. 8 rds of 115gr Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel JHP (plus another 7rd mag) makes me feel pretty comfy.

Carry what you can shoot and shoot what you carry.

21Carrier
04-24-2011, 00:07
I too carried a full size duty weapon off-duty for years (Beretta 92F), but in the end, the gun you consistently leave the house with is the gun best suited for concealed carry; smaller rather than bigger generally rules the day.

But- I applaud you for committing to hiding a Glock 21. It's more than most people would/could comfortably hide for any period of time.

Note: You can't discount weight on the big guns. Don't forget slide and frame thickness too, all three add to the bulk and discomfort of carrying something like a G21 over thinner, shorter, lighter fare.

Good discussion. Stay safe.

I agree, what you leave the house with the most is the best for CC. I always carry my G29 now. I just wanted to let everyone know that it is possible and practical to carry a full-size gun. You don't have to trade down on capacity and caliber if it makes you uncomfortable. If you shoot a full-size gun the best, and are most comfortable with it, you can make it work.

Running Rabbit
07-25-2012, 17:15
This thread makes me laugh.

Not because I think it's ridiculous, but because I think about it all the time.

How silly is it for me to carry my Glock 20 when I'm going to work on an A/C unit on the "bad part of town at night", but I feel fine with a Glock 36 or Glock 19 in my right front pocket most all other times.

I mean seriously, if I really thought I'd NEED 16 rounds of 10mm ammo then I should stay home, right? I think we all get caught up in the "fewer but bigger" or "smaller but lots" ammo thing. I almost never carry an extra magazine, except when I "expect trouble". That makes me laugh even typing it. If I really expected trouble I shouldn't be going there, right?

Well, I guess I've said my piece. I'm not trashing anybody here, but I'm not really contributing either. The bottom line is I feel safe with a Glock 36 and 7 rounds of .45acp. I feel safer with a Glock 20 and 16 rounds of 10mm.

I wear a helmet and jacket and gloves when I ride my motorcycle, but I leave my jacket and gloves at home if I'm only going 1 or 2 miles to the store. Am I less likely to get in an accident close to home? Statistics would say no. Kind of the same argument about ammo isn't it?

I'm leaving now and I'm taking my glock 36 with me and I won't have any extra ammo. I'll be fine.
:supergrin:

chrisbritt15
07-25-2012, 17:27
I carry a G30 sf with a back up 21 mag, 10+1+13=24 rounds of .45 acp, who needs anything more than that???? I mean really lol

LMGTEXAS
07-26-2012, 10:15
YEah - the most important tool when working around bulls is a large caliber pistol!

RYT 2BER
07-27-2012, 05:51
Personally I can't get my head around carrying 6 rounds of 45. I guess I'm just not that impressed by 45 over other calibers..

My edc is a g23 and I just think 13+1 of hot 40 in a similarly sized package can't be beat.

volsbear
07-27-2012, 06:21
<----- .45 ACP Springfield here. Feel pretty good about it :)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

CharlestonG26
07-28-2012, 05:38
A G36 with 7 rounds of .45 acp is a formidable weapon...in the right hands.

IMO...the folks who need to rethink their choice of SD weapon are the ones who jumped on the lightweight .380 bandwagon.

chrisbritt15
07-28-2012, 17:48
A G36 with 7 rounds of .45 acp is a formidable weapon...in the right hands.

IMO...the folks who need to rethink their choice of SD weapon are the ones who jumped on the lightweight .380 bandwagon.
:agree:

soflasmg
07-28-2012, 17:54
I went back to a g19 after carrying a 1911 for five years or so.

I carried a g19 for the 15years before that.

Think about it, if you fire 4 or 5 rounds from a 1911, you're in ammo trouble (you're out of the fight during the mag change or shooting to slide lock). With a g19 you have 10 or 11 rounds left.

I carry ranger 127 grain +P+ but any good hollow point 9mm is roughly as good as .45 or .40 if shot placement is there. Faster follow up shots with 9mm as well.

Cool Hand Hodge
07-28-2012, 21:58
Why not carry a WMD? I work in the darkest hole in the nastiest ghetto this side of hell. I carry a 5 shot Smith J frame. Here is the thing. ITS ALWAYS ON ME. A gun you ALWAYS have no matter what your wearing, how big of a hurry you are in or how hot it is outside trumps a .45 in the nightstand every time. I cant tell you how many times coworkers and friends have joked about my .38 only to say for themselves "i couldn't carry...im wearing shorts and a tank top" Could i stop a jihad? Probably not, but a crackhead would be car jacker? I could and have.

I have trained with the gun, i am familiar with the gun and i am confident in the gun...and the gun is ALWAYS on my side...even when i sleep! I can also speed load that gun faster under stress than the average T bag armchair commando who drops his mag out of the gun trying to figure out the safety.

Is it always the only gun i carry? No...but i do always have it and it beats the hell out of a upper cut or a broken bottle. If i where to go somewhere expecting a gunfight...i would not take a handgun

F_G
07-29-2012, 14:15
I hope so, my new EDC is 5 + 1.

barth
07-29-2012, 18:26
When I'm running a 6+1, or 5+1, or just 5;
I'm usually carrying two guns.

JerryVO
07-29-2012, 18:36
No one can answer how much is enough because it is such a personal question. I just never felt comfortable with my Kahr P9 (6+1) and got rid of it. Some says my g27 (9+1) feels like enough, some days I just have that feeling and carry an extra mag. Same goes with my g22.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

ColdDayInHell
08-02-2012, 00:09
I feel comfortable knowing I have 6 rounds of 45ACP during the summer. After a month with my new G36, I've come to like it and get used to its recoil.

napp32
08-06-2012, 21:51
I keep noticing references to 6 rounds for the G36 from some replies. Does that mean that some of you are carrying without a round chambered?

druryj
08-25-2012, 09:02
As a civilian, I have been carrying a handgun for right at 17 years. I am completely fine with my G36 at 6+1 and a spare mag. If there's 7+1 bad guys; odds are that I am either out of the game by the time I get to him, or else he is long gone!

fastbolt
08-25-2012, 11:21
The resurrection of this thread, and others of a similar topic perennially occurring, show how the subject is one that comes to mind for many folks now and again. I suspect it will continue to do so as long as we have pistols of variable capacities.

I tend to think a significant number of folks who lawfully carry handguns as dedicated defensive weapons might sometimes place too much attention on make, model & caliber of their handguns, and the specific ammunition they choose, to the exclusion of other critical factors.

Yep, I've said this before ... ;)

In the unexpected occurrence of a dynamic, rapidly evolving, chaotic incident involving the imminent threat of serious bodily injury or death, which usually seems to occur in less-than-ideal circumstances, often in poor light, and where someone is probably going to be taxed beyond their expectations when it comes to physical, mental & emotional stresses ... it's likely their preparation in the way of training, practice, skillset, experience, tactical awareness and mindset that is going to be crucial to their survival.

I certainly consider many things when making my choice of a daily retirement CCW weapon, including make, model, caliber and even capacity ... and whether it's a revolver (5-shot) or pistol (6, 7, 8, 9 or 10-shot magazine capacities).

I seldom carry a 15-rd G19 magazine as a spare for my G26's (although I have 1 or 2 G19 mag's somewhere), and the highest capacity stock mag I have for my any of my present full-size pistols is 12-rds (SW9940). I still have some 14 & 15-rd mags for the 59XX series, left over from the days I bought spare mags for my 9mm duty pistols, tucked away (in case I ever buy another 3rd gen hi-cap 9).

My typical pistol choices run from 6-10 round mags, though, and I'm fine with that ... just like I'm fine with carrying one or another of my 5-shot J-frames, depending on my planned activities for the day/evening, including where I plan to engage in those activities.

Of course, I started my career carrying a 6-shot revolver, and then after many years of carrying one or another hi-cap 9 or .40, I finished my career carrying a 7+1 shot compact .45 pistol (even as a cop of some small experience and a long time firearms instructor).

Pick what you like, but consider that training, practice & experience are at least as important (if not more so) than the simple choice of gun, caliber & ammo.

Also, training (initial & recurrent), along with sufficiently frequent proper practice - combined with some awareness of how to apply a good skillset and tactics, and the development of an appropriate mindset - might turn out to be more critical to someone's lawful and appropriate use of their weapon, and their survival.

Then again, I've run across some folks who seem to consider the color of the coating they want to spray on their plastic pistols to be highly important ... :whistling:

simotek
08-25-2012, 11:33
If I carry ____, I carry ___ Spare mags:

Kahr CM9 (6+1), 1/2 spare (6-12 extra rounds)
G26 (10+1 or 11+1), 0/1 spare 26/19/17 mag
G19 (15+1), 0/1 spare 19/17 mag

Jim S.
09-01-2012, 12:06
Where do you draw the line on how many rounds is enough?
I can come up with different scenarios on the number of bad guys and all of that, but I have to be realistic with what I can carry.
Both legally and practically.
I feel comfortable with my 36 and a spare mag when that is what I have to carry because of the clothing that I need to wear at the time.
My normal carry is a G21SF with a spare magazine.
Everyone has their own thoughts on what caliber to carry and how many rounds is enough or not enough.
I remember when Police officers carried revolvers with six rounds and a few spare speed loaders.
Remember this...
Any gun is better than no gun when you need it.

bklynpete
09-01-2012, 14:06
This is an interesting thread to me, because I just decided to downsize myself. Last winter I carried a SA XD45C. I really liked it, I actually traded in my G36 for it. I carry a full size XD mag w/sleeve that came with the weapon. Now this summer. I have been carrying a G27 with a Pearce +1 mag extension. I also carry a G23 mag., with a sleeve on it. It's very comfortable. I also have a Kahr CM9, and I carry two extra mags in an old cell phone case (they fit side by side, really neat). Going smaller and lighter is spoiling me, so now I am thinking of getting a Kahr CW45. Six round mag, in a very thin pkg. I'll probably carry one extra mag, for both extra rounds and in case of a malfunction. Since I am not LE, and don't expect to be clearing out crack houses, I'm good with my decisions. This works for ME.

ghostrider88
09-01-2012, 22:19
I just picked up a 36, the 6+1 does not bother me, Ive carried 30,19,23 & 27 and have never had to use a single rd. I practice with the weapon I carry but if 8 people attack you at once you probally are going to have a bad day no matter what you carry :cool: unless you have a 18 with a 33 rd mag.