Installing rear sight without sight tool [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Installing rear sight without sight tool

IndianaMatt
02-10-2011, 19:39
I know some people suggest it should only be done with a proper Glock sight install tool, but I wanted to attempt it without.

I'm installing a Trijicon sight into a G17. The fit is very tight. Anyone have any thoughts on how to do this without the tool. Thanks!

madAB
02-10-2011, 19:49
Depending on how tight the fit you may have to file the bottom of the site. I think you should be able to slide the site in about 1/6 of the way by hand first (at least get it started in the dovetail). If not you can run it once across a very fine file and test fit (You won't always have to use a file but with some you may have to). Other than that a brass punch & hammer and drift it in. Be careful not to hit too hard so you don't damage the vials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAMIns_eB0c

samuse
02-10-2011, 20:28
MadAB pretty much has it.

I've installed many rear night sights without a problem using a delrin punch. I fit the rer sight to go abot 1/3 to 1/2 way to middle of the dovetail before I drift it in.

JK-linux
02-10-2011, 20:35
Poly punch and small hammer is what I used. Worked fine for me and cost all of about $3. A front sight tool costs about $20 at Brownell's or Midway. Remember the locktite just to be safe. For the price of a box of ammunition, you are good to go!

Brian Lee
02-10-2011, 20:39
It's true you can file off the bottom to loosen up the fit.

Glock dovetails are actually curved on the sides (as seen looking down from the top view) so they are narrower by about .005 in the center than they are at the edges. Unless you are very careful, it's easy to get the new sight wedged in so hard that before you realize it's too tight & needs filed, you've gone too far to get it back out for filing without dinging it up.

Be expecting it to get a lot tighter when it gets to the middle of the dovetail. With solid metal on metal fits, a few thousandths of interference makes a really big difference.

It can be done if you are careful, just a little risky sometimes. the good news is that once you've ruined a sight, you'll have learned enough to do it right from then on.

IndianaMatt
02-10-2011, 20:52
Some great advice. Thanks guys. Unfortunately, I've wedged this thing in there and it has completely stopped about half way in. I can't get it out without damaging it, probably.

I think I should stop before I damage the sight or the slide.

I guess we're going to need the sight tool after all. :upeyes:

But I do appreciate the advice. Maybe better luck next time.

Glock2008
02-10-2011, 21:02
They fit tight. You may want to try find a gunsmith to press it in, they won't charge much. Also you can get the tool for about 80.00 and it makes the work alot easier I have one, I've used it only once but I'm glad I have it.

javman123
02-10-2011, 21:03
I have made my own sight tool. Put the slide inbetween two pieces of wood screw those to a work bence n used a c clamp n rubber block that I cut from hockey puck n cranked it in. But I'm thinging where u r at might be better using a sight tool. Most gun smiths would do it for 10 to 25 bucks.

mr_fender
02-10-2011, 21:27
I just finished installing my new set of Ameriglo Pros on my G17. They come with the front sight tool. I happened to have some red locktite on hand, so the install only cost me a bit of time. For the rear, I pinched the slide between two pieces of wood nailed to my workbench to make a poor man's vise. I then used a brass punch to drift the rear sight in. It got stuck about half way, so I backed it out and took a tiny bit of metal off of the bottom of the sight with some 400 grit sandpaper. I was then able to drift it in with a good tight fit. It still took a fair amount of hammering. You want a good tight fit so the sight won't move unless you hammer it. Luckily, my vials survived the operation and my sights look great. I LOVE the sight picture on these Ameriglo Pros.

These are my first sights with Trijicon elements. I've used Meprolights in the past, and I have to say that I like the Trijicons better. Though smaller, the dots are much sharper and easier to focus my eyes on in the dark. The Meprolights on the other hand were always a but fuzzy looking in the dark and not as defined.

Christian944
02-10-2011, 21:32
I installed my sights on my own, check the Sights part of forum

IndianaMatt
02-10-2011, 21:33
I just finished installing my new set of Ameriglo Pros on my G17. They come with the front sight tool. I happened to have some red locktite on hand, so the install only cost me a bit of time. For the rear, I pinched the slide between two pieces of wood nailed to my workbench to make a poor man's vise. I then used a brass punch to drift the rear sight in. It got stuck about half way, so I backed it out and took a tiny bit of metal off of the bottom of the sight with some 400 grit sandpaper. I was then able to drift it in with a good tight fit. It still took a fair amount of hammering. You want a good tight fit so the sight won't move unless you hammer it. Luckily, my vials survived the operation and my sights look great. I LOVE the sight picture on these Ameriglo Pros.

These are my first sights with Trijicon elements. I've used Meprolights in the past, and I have to say that I like the Trijicons better. Though smaller, the dots are much sharper and easier to focus my eyes on in the dark. The Meprolights on the other hand were always a but fuzzy looking in the dark and not as defined.

While I don't have the sights fully installed on the gun yet [see above post for install fail], I am noticing that the rear orange Trijicon sights seem disappointingly dim compared to the green one. I don't know...

DLL9mm
02-11-2011, 02:25
If you are near Lansing Michigan, I can do it for you(I have a sight pusher)

mr_fender
02-12-2011, 01:37
While I don't have the sights fully installed on the gun yet [see above post for install fail], I am noticing that the rear orange Trijicon sights seem disappointingly dim compared to the green one. I don't know...

Mine are green front and yellow rears. The yellows are a tiny bit dimmer, but I like that. It draws my eyes to the front sight where they belong. Others here on GT told me that different colors have different brightness levels. Green is the brightest, then yellow, then orange, then red. The Meprolights I've had in the past were all green/green so this is my first foray into non-green tritium sights. Time will tell how the hold up, but so far I love these Ameriglos.

MrVvrroomm
02-12-2011, 07:20
I can get the lug nuts off my car with a Crescent wrench. That doesn't mean I WILL take them off that way.

Either buy a proper sight pusher or pay someone WITH a sight pusher to install them.