Winchester Ranger Cost differential [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Ranger Cost differential

WildManPiet
02-11-2011, 16:07
Looking at choices for hollow points for SD (specifically 9mm).

Seems like the cost is about $30 for 25 rounds in town:
Golden saber, PDX1, Gold Dot, etc...

Now Ranger is about $30 for 50 rounds in town.

Listening to my police friends recommendations, being a bit value minded, and at the same time wanting to do more practice with the same ammo that I carry I have gone to Ranger ammo.

Can someone provide a good reason why Ranger is about 1/2 the cost of other rounds? Volume of rounds produced? Old design?

beforeobamabans
02-11-2011, 16:44
You're comparing small boxes to big boxes, apples and oranges. Buy by the case and you'll get the price down to around .40 ea.

hotpig
02-11-2011, 19:30
Ranger is produced in small (compared to the regular commercial rounds)production runs for Government and Military use only. It comes from the Government priced supply line and is not available to most Commercial Winchester Dealers. Actually many Winchester ammo suppliers have never heard of Ranger ammo since it is not on their order list.

It is cheaper than commercial ammo because it is meant for Government sales and is packaged in the 50 round box.

There are many different Ranger products ranging from fmj practice ammo to the latest state of the art Bonded jhp. They have everything from 50 cal bullets to frangible shotgun ammo.

silentpoet
02-11-2011, 19:44
Make sure you are looking at ranger sxt versus the other premium lines. Just plain ranger is not a fair comparison. I like ranger sxt stuff. It may be called the T series now, but make sure you compare the premium lines.

hotpig
02-11-2011, 20:38
Actually Ranger T-Series. Ranger SXT has been out of production since 1998.

WildManPiet
02-11-2011, 22:13
Yes I am trying to discuss "comparable" rounds... Both are the T-series.
I have both RA9T (147gr) and 127+p+ RA9TA which were just under $30 for a box of 50.

I am not referring to the FMJ NATO Ranger, so I apologize for being non-specific.

I don't quite understand how the comparison of a box of 50 vs a box of 20-25 is like apples and oranges... Two boxes of 25 is like a box of 50. Standard retail prices. Online the prices are comparable it seems but the local retail price is vastly different.

From my understanding those are typical box counts.
Don't see the benefit for online ordering of a couple boxes here and there selecting ammo, but the price differential doesn't make sense to me.