Questions About Elastic Side Saddles [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Elastic Side Saddles

dukeguy
02-11-2011, 18:45
I'm looking at adding a side saddle to my new Remington 870 Express HD. I've read that elastic side saddles are the way to go because the hard plastic ones loosen up sooner or later. But I have questions about the elastic/velcro side saddles, such as the one made by 3gungrear (check it out here: 3gungear.corecommerce.com/cart.html).

Questions:

1. Does anybody have experience with this type of side saddle?
2. Do you have to glue the velcro system directly to the gun?
3. If it is glued, does it damage the finish?
4. I'm aware of the TacStar and Mesa side saddles. Anything else out there?

Thanks in advance for the input!

Thanks in advance for the input!

David Armstrong
02-12-2011, 12:19
In the "anything else" category, I always suggest folks consider the option of not putting a sidesaddle on the gun. It looks cool and stuff, but it adds weight to the gun and is somewaht awkward to use. If you need it, fine, but for most folks it is more of a decoration than a useful accessory.

sciolist
02-12-2011, 12:31
I got a TacStar just as something to learn on, and build some basic skill while shooting matches. Maybe HD is different, but at least for me, weak-hand reloads from SS are the way to go for match shooting.

The DSAC is looking better and better to me, and no it is not glued directly onto the gun. Mesa is better than TacStar, but seems like a refined version of an inherently inferior idea. One thing I've learned is that anything you put on a shotgun had better be resistant to vibration...

dukeguy
02-12-2011, 18:32
I got a TacStar just as something to learn on, and build some basic skill while shooting matches. Maybe HD is different, but at least for me, weak-hand reloads from SS are the way to go for match shooting.

The DSAC is looking better and better to me, and no it is not glued directly onto the gun. Mesa is better than TacStar, but seems like a refined version of an inherently inferior idea. One thing I've learned is that anything you put on a shotgun had better be resistant to vibration...

I also had a TacStar on a Maverick 88. Worked fine, but I didn't own the gun long enough to run into any "issues" with the Tacstar. I've also been looking at the Vang Comp DSAC. I like the way it attaches to the gun - no glue on the gun itself. It's a little pricey, but it looks more substantial than the 3Gungear model.

Michigun
02-12-2011, 20:16
I prefer 'butt' carries over side saddles myself... they balance things out.

sciolist
02-13-2011, 10:04
I defintely agree the DSAC looks more robust overall than the 3GG unit. One thing I especially like about the DSAC is the design of the pins. They are only partially threaded, so there's no ambiguity about how far to tighten, and you can torque them down against the unthreaded portion. Also, notice that the backing plate has steel female inserts, so no AL threads to strip out. Basically, the DSAC looks like more of a 'real' part, that can be reliably disassembled many times. Looks to me like, with some blue locktite, you'd be GTG without constantly having to check everything for loosening. Not that I'm prone to this, but the gun could be dropped hard on the DSAC with no damage.

MrMurphy
02-13-2011, 12:12
Vang Comp also makes a unit.

Z71bill
02-13-2011, 17:54
I like mine just fine -

I tried a few hard plastic side saddles - they all suck -

IMHO we over think this stuff

I wanted something that will hold a few extra shells and NOT GET IN THE WAY.

Think it cost me a whole $5 -

I put a few extra rubber ties on it (IIRC Schwinn brand :whistling:)

I have left it on while shooting clays a few times - good practice to pull a shell out and reload - after about 50 rounds it had moved a little.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r128/z71bill/gun%20pics/P1000179.jpg

Michigun
02-13-2011, 18:19
I used to use a Specter Gear 'butt' pouch on my Beretta 1200 below... but the velcro flap slowed up reloads so I went to the elastic type like Z71bill has on his 870 above...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Michigun/Beretta%201200/100_0317.jpg

I can't remember the maker, but I purchased a few screw-on plastic butt holders like you see on my Beretta 390 below... these have worked GREAT for years & when I find another I'll put it on my above Beretta 1200 as well...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Michigun/390.jpg