Anyone carry Win. Silvertips? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone carry Win. Silvertips?

up1911fan
02-11-2011, 19:55
Local shop has had several box's of Winchester Silvertip's for the GAP for going on 3 years or so. I think I can get a good deal if I offer to buy all of them. Doe's anyone carry these loads? Thoughts?

fasteddie565
02-14-2011, 04:11
Fan,

The silvertip, to my best research, is not a bonded bullet. Handgun bullets used for self defense should be bonded bullets, meaning that jacket is bonded to the lead core of the bullet. This prevents fragmentation and helps ensure adequate penetration.

I recommend Speer Gold Dots.

dbarry
02-14-2011, 17:02
I carry silvertips in my 9mm. Gold Dot in my GAP. Silvertips are an excellent SD round.

9mmpara
02-17-2011, 14:48
I have silver tips in my 37

fasteddie565
02-21-2011, 07:34
I carry silvertips in my 9mm. Gold Dot in my GAP. Silvertips are an excellent SD round.

Don't take this the wrong way, but what information are you basing this claim on? Historically, non-bonded bullets have a tendency to shatter and fail to create the wound channel required to stop a threat.

dudel
02-21-2011, 11:54

Gold Dots in the GAP and Golden Saber for 9mm and ACP. I carried silvertips before, and had no problem with them. They were state of the art a few years ago, not sure where they stack up today. Haven't seen many in my neck of the woods.

Winchester thinks they seem to have kept up.
Winchester's Super-X Silvertip remains one of the most dependable and performance-proven handgun cartridges ever created. Originally developed for Law Enforcement to replace traditional hollow point bullets, Super-X Silvertip handgun ammunition continues to offer a unique combination of power, precision, reliable functioning, and on-target performance via a specially engineered jacketed bullet

1 old 0311
02-21-2011, 12:57
I been using them for 25 years.