New Ubuntu User - Can't Connect [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Ubuntu User - Can't Connect

unit 900
02-12-2011, 08:49
I used WUBI to install the current Ubuntu version on a Dell Mini Inspiron netbook running Windows 7 Starter. The Dell has a Broadcom card. There is no wireless connectivity, but I found an apparent fix via a Google search. I need to have Internet connectivity to use the needed command lines to download some updates/patches. I plugged an Ethernet cable into the Dell and my wireless router and have no connection. IFconfig shows no IP address. I have haunted Ubuntu sites (via Windows) to find a fix that I can manage and have come up empty. Any thoughts?

IndyGunFreak
02-12-2011, 09:19
First, DO NOT USE WUBI. That is a train wreck waiting to happen. If you want to try Ubuntu, set up a normal dual boot system.

I for the life of me, can't understand why on earth Canonical released that mess..

Regardless.. Open up a terminal(application/accessories/terminal)

and type "lspci" no quotes, and hit enter (lowercase L)...

It's gonna spit out a ton of stuff about your system devices. Find your wireless device, and report what it is...

It'll probably look something like this....
03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11a/b/g (rev 01)

unit 900
02-12-2011, 09:25
IGF;

I tried that and coincidentally the Broadcom card is the 4312. Would I be best off uninstalling and then reinstalling via a CD? I used Wubi since it was prominently featured on the Ubuntu download page and the Dell has no optical drive. I have a drive I can use for the CD, which I have already burned.

IndyGunFreak
02-12-2011, 09:34
IGF;

I tried that and coincidentally the Broadcom card is the 4312. Would I be best off uninstalling and then reinstalling via a CD? I used Wubi since it was prominently featured on the Ubuntu download page and the Dell has no optical drive. I have a drive I can use for the CD, which I have already burned.

If you have a current CD and a drive you can use, then yes, I would set up a normal dual boot system. Edit: Just make sure you have removed all traces of Wubi on that system before doing it...

The biggest problem I have found w/ Wubi... is when Ubuntu updates. If everything goes as planned, its no problem, but I've saw many kernel updates, brick the MBR of the drive, ... then it renders both OS's unbootable. Usually if Ubuntu borks on a dual boot machine, you'll still be able to boot Windows w/o any hassle. Seriously... if you know how to set up a dual boot machine, dump Wubi.

The 4312 can use either the STA driver, or the b43 driver... In my experiences w/ that device... *usually* the b43 driver works better, but try the STA driver first. They are both fairly easy to install w/o internet access, if you want to try it on the wubi install first. One thing to double check though, is make sure your broadcom device doesn't have something like "bcm4312 -lppy" or some nonsense like that. That's some sort of "power saving" feature on some Broadcom devices. They don't work w/ the b43 driver... but the STA driver seems to support *some* of them halfway decent.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx

gemeinschaft
02-12-2011, 13:26
IGF;

I would use the Universal USB Installer and boot off of a flash drive to install, but that's just me.

IndyGunFreak
02-12-2011, 13:37
I would use the Universal USB Installer and boot off of a flash drive to install, but that's just me.

Either one will work.. but if he already has an Ubuntu CD, and an external CD drive, there's no real reason to create a USB. I've installed off external CD drives several times w/o issue.

IGF