Old Aro-Tek laser repair [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Old Aro-Tek laser repair

Saleen9165
02-12-2011, 09:53
I have an old G19 that came into the shop with an inoperative laser that appears to be an old Aro-Tek. It has two brass terminals at the bottom of the grip cavity for recharging of the battery cell sealed inside using what appears to be black RTV silicon. The batteries (once dug out) appear to be 3 button style batteries similar to the "357" watch batteries stacked in series and held together in a viny heat shrink.

The batteries are toast (bulging and about to split), and the owner advised that everything was working fine, but the batteries eventually would just not charge at all and it hasn't worked in years. He estimates the age of the system as circa 90-91.

This set up differs from some of the older Aro-Teks that I remember in that it does not have an exposed red anodized aluminum button on the back. Instead, it has a rubber pad installed over a similar but lower profile switch. Also, the front module does not have a rear flange inside the trigger guard, though the front module is identical to the older Aro-Teks I've seen.

The customer would prefer to do away with the rechargeable set-up, but I need a battery compartment (preferrably with a switch like some of the older Crimson Trace units). Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to get this system up and running?

Saleen