Patch pushers for 12g barrel? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Patch pushers for 12g barrel?

vram74
02-12-2011, 13:21
I'm new to shotguns. Just cleaned mine for the first time today and it was a PITA. Bought a cheap Winchester cleaning kit @ Walmart which did ok, but does no one make patch pushers (jags) for shotgun barrels like they do for pistols? I use them on my pistols and rarely have a need to use wire brushes.

sciolist
02-12-2011, 13:43
I use a 12ga mop to push patches... and a nylon bore brush to push them in my pistols.

aippi
02-12-2011, 14:35
I use none of that stuff. I clean the chamber and bore with a home made rig. Go to www.aiptactical.com (http://www.aiptactical.com) and click on the red link "Install and Cleaning" make one of each and that is all you need. However, if the weapon is going to be stored for awhile, I spay some Rem oil in the barrel then run a wad of AI&P Tactical Cleaning patches, AKA paper towel. through the barrel with the end of my polishing rod. This leaves the micro pours of the barrel with some oil in them and prevents rust till next range day.

Big Bird
02-12-2011, 14:43
In the field, on hunting trips and for occasional use I will run a bore snake through the gun.

But for a real cleaning I use a one piece rod, a wire (brass) brush soaked in Shooter's Choice followed by a couple of large patches usually made from old t shirts followed by a light coat of oil.

You have to use a solvent that will dissolve accumulated wad reside which typically builds up near the choke. You will likely never notice it in a tactical shotgun but I promise if you run 500-700 rounds between a real cleaning you will see it build up. If your gun has removeable chokes you can take a mason jar full of Brownells plastic wad solvent and simply drop the chokes for a soaking in the plastic solvent overnight and it will dissolve any plastic residue. The tighter the choke the faster plastic will deposit in the choke so its less of a problem in most tactical guns since they are typically cylinder or Improved Cylinder bore guns.

Shotguns using plastic hulls should almost always have the chamber dried and oiled before the gun is put away. Plastic hulls will form condensation between the metal and shell during firing. Not much but enough to cause a chamber to rust.

vram74
02-12-2011, 17:18
Thanks for the responses everyone. Mine is just a basic model. No chokes or anything fancy. This gun will be used for defensive shotgun competition at the local range once a month and that it. It will be resting in the corner of my room all other times.

Z71bill
02-12-2011, 18:14
I just use the 12 gauge bore brush on the end of the rod + Hoppes #9

Followed by a couple of large patches wrapped around the same 12 gauge bore brush also soaked in Hoppes. Then clean dry patches wrapped around the 12 gauge bore bush - until they come out clean.

Although I clean my shot gun barrel after I shoot it - have wondered if it really makes much difference -

What would happen if you shot 50 rounds a week for 10 years (26,000 rounds) and never cleaned it?

Would lead build up?

Would accuracy suffer? Maybe mess up the pattern?

Michigun
02-12-2011, 20:22
vram74, yes they do make 'jags' for shotguns... I have accumulated several for my 12-gauge. www.brownells.com has them but you should be able to find one near you at a lager gun store.

Ljunatic
02-12-2011, 20:53
I like tornado brushes for shotguns, and use a patch over an older brush after scrubbing out the wad residue with a newer one