Argument Against 00 Buck Magnum (15 pellet) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Argument Against 00 Buck Magnum (15 pellet)

OldScribe2009
02-12-2011, 14:28
For a Mossberg 500, I've read a lot of posts, and heard a lot of advice from people who say avoid the 15 pellet Magnum 12-gauge 3" shells with 00 buckshot, especially if you're pimpin' a pistol grip and an abbreviated (but legal) barrel. Go with 8 or 9 pellets, not 15 with a Magnum fuse. The recoil will rock you cross-eyed, they said. One guy even promised I'd need an arm brace.

Your thoughts? Experience? Advice?

If you had to knock a patch out of someone's ass with a Mossberg 500 Persuader, what shells would you use? And I'm not worried about over-penetrating the sheetrock or singing the precious wallpaper.

aippi
02-12-2011, 14:44
I consider that a hunting round not a defense round. You do not need the 15 pellets for up close quarters defense and if, and this is very unlikely, you need more then a few rounds you have lost one round in your tube becuase you used 3" shells. If you feel you need more 00 pellets then 9 then use the 2 3/4" 00 magnum which gives you 12 pellets. I feel that is even over kill (pun intended) for defense use. You can also drop down to a standard #1, #3 or #4 to get the pellet count up.

As for recoil. There is an art to shooting pistol grip only shotguns and if you know it then the round does not matter. If you don't know how to shoot one of these wepaons then even standard buckshoot is going to be an issue for you.

So my answer would no to 3" 00 buck for defense in any weapon. There are better options.

OldScribe2009
02-12-2011, 14:56
So my answer would no to 3" 00 buck for defense in any weapon. There are better options.

I hear that everywhere; it seems to be an accepted fact of shotgun ownership.

Kalmah
02-12-2011, 14:57
Unless you're anticipating bears invading your house, I'm not sure why you would need 3" magnums. At home defense distances, the 3" mags aren't going to kill home-invading miscreants any deader than 2 3/4" low recoil buckshot loads.

But as far as recoil goes, other people's opinions don't really matter. Only you can decide what's manageable and practical for you. That means testing various loads yourself through your gun.

Joshhtn
02-12-2011, 15:01
I use 2-3/4" 00 9 pellet buck... I have some 3" magnum 00 & 000, but thats a bit much for Home Defence IMO.

aippi
02-12-2011, 15:03
Man, nothing is an accepted fact of shotgun ownership or these type web sites would not exsist. There are going to post that it is the perfect round and that I am an idiot for not using it. Guys have their opinions and they are seldom based on common sence. You are also going to get posting slaming you for having a Pistol grip only as these guys will not admit that there is an application for that weapon. Case in point is the one in the photo album on my web site. I built that for an over road Trucker and built another for a trucker friend of his becasue their HD is in the cab of their truck. And yes, before all the "know more then me" guys pipe in a handgun is better in this case but these guys travel through multiple states and don't want the hassel of a handgun in some of the states they drive through. So the Pistol Grip only shotgun was perfect for them.

cdog533
02-12-2011, 15:43
For a Mossberg 500, I've read a lot of posts, and heard a lot of advice from people who say avoid the 15 pellet Magnum 12-gauge 3" shells with 00 buckshot, especially if you're pimpin' a pistol grip and an abbreviated (but legal) barrel. Go with 8 or 9 pellets, not 15 with a Magnum fuse. The recoil will rock you cross-eyed, they said. One guy even promised I'd need an arm brace.

The arm brace guy sounds like he works at a gun shop...lol.

Dude, I kept 3" 00 Magnum in my pistol grip Win 1300 for many years and shot a lot of it as well. From probably 1993-2005 that was my defense round.

Recoil: Yes, it hurts to shoot 3" 00 Mags in a pistol grip. After 4-5 rounds, your wrist is hoping you won't shoot more. The recoil is not unmanageable, and surely is fine in a full-stock gun. This doesn't really affect you in a defensive situation, as if my life depended on it, I'm sure I could shoot all night, wrist be damned.

Home Defense Use: 3" 00 Mags are fine for defense and will probably be excellent manstoppers. I still have a bunch around and wouldn't hesitate to use it. However, as stated, there are some new technologies in rounds (like the PDX) and some Tactical buckshot rounds in 2 3/4 that might let you get back on target a little quicker.

My advice would be to shoot everything, including 3" 00B, and see what you like. Any high power load kinda hurts your wrist after a while if you use a pistol grip. Try some Federal Tactical or Hornady TAP and see how you like that as well.

As for pistol grip shottys, they have their place and are very quick handling. Their place is probably engaging threats in your home or at very close distances, say 5-10 meters. If you aren't sure, buy a full SpeedFeed or similar and slap it on there and see.

Have fun with it and then YOU can be the one giving advice.

10mmshooter
02-12-2011, 16:27
This is going to be one of those "go with what works best for you." I like shotguns and spend a bit of time skeet and trap shooting. I know what levels of recoil I can accept and quickly recover from for follow up shots. Practise some and if you can quickly recover from those 3" shells great, as for myself I'm liking the 9p-00 or 8p-000 the best. Its a fine balance for myself of power vs quickness. Remember no one ever said you can only shoot once, apply dosage as needed.

sciolist
02-12-2011, 16:27
I think the 9-pellet 00 is just fine. Same with 1oz slugs. Plenty of power, and easier to run the gun smoothly. No need to go to eleven.

unit1069
02-12-2011, 16:54

If you had to knock a patch out of someone's ass with a Mossberg 500 Persuader, what shells would you use? And I'm not worried about over-penetrating the sheetrock or singing the precious wallpaper.

I take it you haven't shot any 3" Magnum buckshot in your pistol grip shotgun, right?

I bought a Maverick 88 in 1994 and until last year it sat locked up on a basement shelf because the recoil was unsuitable for self-defense compared to a good, reliable pistol.

Once I put a Knoxx Reduced Recoil adjustable stock on it the shotgun was instantly transformed into a formidable all-round weapon that I'd pick for close quarters over any other firearm I currently own.

The #4 or #1 shell 2 3/4" buckshot I have are certainly adequate to ruin any criminal's day should he be standing in front of the muzzle during the commission of a felony.

Big Bird
02-13-2011, 22:19
The standard 2 3/4" 00 Buckshot round is the gold standard close range manstopper. Anything affects your accuracy and slows your reaction time and shot to shot recovery.

La26
02-13-2011, 22:57
I would even go so far as to recommend trying to find some "reduced recoil" 00 loads. Some ammo makers even call them Law Enforcement loads, but say "reduced recoil" on the box. They will be powerful enough when used in shotgun distances (especially inside your home, if necessary).
You should try several brands and see which ones pattern best in your shotgun. If the 3" Magnum only keeps 8 or 9 pellets in a silhouette target, and the reduced load keeps all 9 pellets in a 10 inch circle, you have found the correct load for your shotgun.

Aceman
02-13-2011, 23:13
I like a stock + pistol grip on my SG. I like 2 3/4 low recoil 12 pellet buck.

But if a pistol grip w/ 3" 15 pellets is what floats your boat, go ahead.

But that wouldn't be my first, second, or even third choice.

Glocker08
02-16-2011, 10:23
As mentioned, I don't think 3" mags are necessary for defense. 2 3/4" has plenty of power IMO. Personally, I like #4 buck. (27 pellets)

ked
02-18-2011, 00:50
shot some 3'' 00 today.

gonna stay with reduced-recoil from now on. unless i have to go into the bush after a lion.:supergrin:

ked:wavey: