Anyone have Hughs Satellite Internet? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have Hughs Satellite Internet?

Detectorist
02-12-2011, 17:44
I live out in the country and the only Internet available is dial up and satellite. Dial up here is about 24kbs max.

Hughs can provide 1Mbps for 40 bucks a month with no contract. Has anyone here had any experience with them?

poodleshooter1
02-12-2011, 17:52
tagged.

IndyGunFreak
02-12-2011, 18:32
there's been a lot of threads here about Hughes... most say the service is OK for general surfing. Not for gaming, etc... Also, read the contract limitations. They usually have a "bandwidth limit" per month.. and when you hit it, you get slowed down to around Dial up speeds...

IGF

Legba
02-12-2011, 18:36
I'm using it right now. Not the fastest connection but considering the alternatives it does a good job. If you stream video it will slow down. I have found also once you have more than one computer on at the same time it slows down a lot. I have 3 computers running on it. 1 direct link and the other 2 ran off the wifi. On the forums I visit I use Adblock, turn off the avatars, and turned off the signatures and it makes a difference with the speed. I much rather have a high speed connection but for right now I am happy with it. Hope this helps.

evilspringer
02-12-2011, 18:46
When we lived out in the rural area, we had Hughsnet. My daughter in law and wife were taking on line classes and dial up wasn't going to cut it. It was expensive (about $85/mo) and still not the best for on line collaboration but it worked. The thing I hated was the download limit. I believe it was 400mb per day and when you exceeded the limit your service was cut down to less than dial up speed. Watching videos on youtube counted towards the download limit. On line gaming was useless and no voip phone service. As much as my family uses the internet and knowing how hughsnet worked, I really think I would not have chosen to move away from broadband/dsl service. But it is better than dial up and if you are a casual surfer it may work for you. But my opinion if you are a casual surfer is that it is not worth the extra money. Also it works just like satellite tv, bad weather no service.

Sarge1400
02-12-2011, 20:48
I'm also in the boonies, but I use Starband. Probably not that different from Hughesnet. Starband also has what they call a FAP (Fair Access Policy) that limits your downloads, but I have no idea what the limit is. I don't think I've ever been throttled though. Starband has a 'free' period when downloads don't count toward your max, I believe its something like 1-5am. You're going to get a 7-second latency with any satellite internet provider, but that really only affects things that you need to run in real-time, like online gaming.
I've been with Starband since 2002, no real problems.

waynokarider01
02-13-2011, 16:54
We had it from even back when it was Directway, up to about a year ago. I live in a rural area, and that or dial up were our only options. The dial up was insanely slow. In fact, I would had given up on the computer at that point. My wife's job pretty much dictates that we have some sort of high speed internet. Our experience pretty much is in line with what others have already mentioned. I would also add, that the weather was a huge factor and caused a lot of outages. Much more so than with satelite television. We now use the Sprint aircards. It works way better for us, and we can take it with us when we go duning. My wife can actually work while we are driving down the highway, or sitting at a campsite.

mossberg385t
02-14-2011, 01:36
has a terrible latency and little up speed

Toyman
02-14-2011, 03:59
I looked into this a little bit when I was pondering a move. There are several providers, and hughesnet wasn't the best. These providers vary greatly on cost and features.

For example Hughesnet($90 mo) limits you to 400mb download whereas with WildBlue.com you can get 17,000mb download for $80 a month at just slightly lower speed.

I think WildBlue was the best specs I found, but I had not researched customer reviews.

Either way, satellite internet pretty much falls into the "better than nothing" category.

Dragoon44
02-15-2011, 11:03
I would not trust Hughes net. this is their second go around providing satellite internet. The first time they promised unlimited access. then they turned around and started throttling customers bandwidth. They got slapped with a class action lawsuit which they lost and promptly gave their subscribers notice they would cease providing internet access within 30 days. Now they are back.

I would look into one of the other satellite service providers.