Polishing a Barrel... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Polishing a Barrel...

BSA70
02-13-2011, 17:03
I have a lone wolf barrel that is hanging up a little with reloads. I have read a bunch on polishing feed ramp/chamber and there are mixed ideas on the subject.

Some say fitz only, others use sand paper. What would be the best way to polish this barrel? So far I have used a dremel, small steel brush wheel and some rubbing compound.
Did not do much polishing, did not want to over due it.

Using a lonewolf .40 barrel in a g33.

Thanks

copabeat
02-21-2011, 15:53
I am not sure I am grasping your issue based on the information you supplied. 1st. Lone Wolk Barrels come pre-polished and no addiotional polishing should be required.

When you say hanging up on shooting relaods, are you saying it doesn't hang up with the original barrel? It seems you don't have a polishing problem as much as you have a barrel "Fitting" problem. Most After market high quality Barrels are "Semi-Drop in" Most require some type of fitting which is not done with sand paper or polish; although that might help with very limited slight fit problems. For the most part these are fitted with files and careful measurement is required.

The best thing to do is have it brought to a qualified gunsmith that has the correct tools to perform the job. PLEASE stay away from the Youtube gunsmiths as most don't have a clue beyound detail stripping.

cciman
02-21-2011, 16:08
What he said, if you have FRTB issues.

Is the slide FTRB, or rounds FTF/FTE?

Does this happen with factory made ammo too? Could be your reloads?

I am not sure I am grasping your issue based on the information you supplied. 1st. Lone Wolk Barrels come pre-polished and no addiotional polishing should be required.

When you say hanging up on shooting relaods, are you saying it doesn't hang up with the original barrel? It seems you don't have a polishing problem as much as you have a barrel "Fitting" problem. Most After market high quality Barrels are "Semi-Drop in" Most require some type of fitting which is not done with sand paper or polish; although that might help with very limited slight fit problems. For the most part these are fitted with files and careful measurement is required.

The best thing to do is have it brought to a qualified gunsmith that has the correct tools to perform the job. PLEASE stay away from the Youtube gunsmiths as most don't have a clue beyound detail stripping.

duncan
02-21-2011, 19:45
The chamber on those Lone Wolf barrels is designed to be tight.

Might want to call JR at LWD and get a consult.

You can send in the barrel with a few of the reloads to get the barrel slighlty reamed out to accept those reloads.

Does the case easily drop in there?

My LWD barrels have just a little wiggle to them.

Otherwise you might have an extractor probelm.