Best way to run Windows 7 on a Mac? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best way to run Windows 7 on a Mac?

Drjones
02-13-2011, 17:50
As titled, I have a client who's interested in running Windows 7 on their Mac.

Unfortunately, buying a PC isn't an option....I already asked....*sigh*....:upeyes:

Anyway, they were looking at VMWare Fusion, but I've always heard of BootCamp....which way is easiest & best?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Pierre!
02-13-2011, 18:39
Sun / Oracle Virtual Box works too... Not sure which versions of Windows 7 are legal to run virtual.

Some brief investigation makes it look legal to run Window 7 as a virtual machine. I guess it was Vista that had heavy restrictions... but you will need one valid license key for each Windows 7 VM.

Don't know if an OEM version would 'qualify'...

Sgt. Schultz
02-13-2011, 18:53
Some brief investigation makes it look legal to run Window 7 as a virtual machine. I guess it was Vista that had heavy restrictions... but you will need one valid license key for each Windows 7 You can run any version of Windows on/in a virtual environment provided you have a valid key for it.

stooxie
02-13-2011, 20:21
If you are doing a fresh install Virtual Box should do fine. It's a great VM.

If there is an existing machine that you want to P2V then VMWare Fusion is the way to go. Their P2V tool is amazing. Imported the wife's Dell Laptop straight into a VM (on the Mac) with no driver issues, registration/activation issues, nada. Couldn't believe it.

-Stooxie

poodleshooter1
02-13-2011, 20:25
Agreed, VirtualBox blows VMware out of the water for a free vm.

I also like Hyper-v better than VMware. Word has it you can get it free now as opposed to buying a server OS.

Drjones
02-13-2011, 22:41
Other than being free, how are Hyper-V and VirtualBox better than VMWare?

VMWare Fusion seems to only be $50 for a one-user license, so it's pretty reasonable...

Thank you!!

HerrGlock
02-14-2011, 02:25
Other than being free, how are Hyper-V and VirtualBox better than VMWare?

VMWare Fusion seems to only be $50 for a one-user license, so it's pretty reasonable...

Thank you!!

Not necessarily better than, at least equal to.

Item one is roughly the same as item two.
Item 2 costs $50 more than item 1

Which would you choose? :supergrin:

mossberg385t
02-14-2011, 02:35
I use virtual box, works great... likes the ram though. I have a 13" MBP 4gb crucial DDR3 1333mhz fsb, the dual 2.26 intel and I can run autodesk revit and 3ds max inside virtual box