Meprolight sight colors [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Meprolight sight colors

ashecht
02-13-2011, 18:41
I have pretty much narrowed my night sight choice to Meprolights, $74 out the door, plus $10 to a shooting friend of mine to install(he has installed at least 10 other sets for other folks at the range, lgs wants $25). My question is the color choices. Green front/Green rear, Green front/Orange rear, Green front/yellow rear. I have heard several folks that like the green/orange configuration, but I am not sure. Opinions on choice?

BigLaw
02-13-2011, 19:52
I like the yellow rear/green front. The yellow seems brighter than the orange but that may just be me. I have that color setup on two of my guns and a couple of the officers at my dept like it really well and ordered them a set for me to switch out for them. I believe the break up in color helps get your sight picture faster.

JRS
02-13-2011, 19:58
One one hand, the more contrast front to back the better, faster, more fool-proof.

However, for those who care, the green lasts the longest, then yellow, then orange. But so what if they get dim after 5 years instead of 10? Buy new ones.

I'm never going green/green 3 dot again. 2 dot avoids the confusion (mostly), but 3 can be a mess in a hurry in complete darkness.

I'm now officially a green front/orange rear 3 dot guy.

OldrSlowrSGT
02-13-2011, 21:43
I have the "yellow rear/green front" night sights on my G17 and I like the contrast... they show up well in both daylight and night-time.

G19aps
02-14-2011, 08:38
I prefer green/yellow due to the longer life of the yellow lamps. That's what I get when I order Ameriglo Operators.

lcjones
02-15-2011, 16:26
What ever your preference is, I think you should be happy with the choice. However there is a fact with these sights. The green will last about 9 to 10 years. All other colors will last about half that at four to five years.
lcjones

HAMMERHEAD
02-16-2011, 17:04
I prefer green/yellow due to the longer life of the yellow lamps. That's what I get when I order Ameriglo Operators.
I thought green was the longest lasting color. (maybe you're comparing yellow to orange)
Green is the natural color of the tritium/phosphor lamps and should be the brightest and longest lasting.
All other colors use filters to change the colors.

Earthmapper
02-17-2011, 10:40
I hope you don't mind me jumping on to your topic, but do any of you Meprolight owners have a problem carrying with a Crossbreed Supertuck? I've pretty much decided on the meprolight, but am given to understand that the front sight is a little wider than standard sights and don't know if clearance would be an issue or not.

I'm still waiting on the holster, so I have yet to see for myself.

Made Man
02-18-2011, 17:23
I like the yellow rear/green front. The yellow seems brighter than the orange but that may just be me. I have that color setup on two of my guns and a couple of the officers at my dept like it really well and ordered them a set for me to switch out for them. I believe the break up in color helps get your sight picture faster.

One one hand, the more contrast front to back the better, faster, more fool-proof.

However, for those who care, the green lasts the longest, then yellow, then orange. But so what if they get dim after 5 years instead of 10? Buy new ones.

I'm never going green/green 3 dot again. 2 dot avoids the confusion (mostly), but 3 can be a mess in a hurry in complete darkness.

I'm now officially a green front/orange rear 3 dot guy.

I concur.

RayB
02-18-2011, 17:38
1) I thought green was the longest lasting color. (maybe you're comparing yellow to orange)

2) Green is the natural color of the tritium/phosphor lamps and should be the brightest and longest lasting.

3) All other colors use filters to change the colors.

Forgive me, but your post does beg a question or two...

1) I was told by an OEM Rep that green and yellow have similar lamp life. Orange and other colors have much shorter lamp life. :eyebrow:

2) Tritium gas, as I understand it, is a natural byproduct of nuclear fission, and has no color. It merely excites the phosphor coating, of which the most naturally occurring color--and longest lasting--is green. :headscratch:

3) If that's the case, why would lamp life be affected? :dunno:

--Ray

RayB
02-18-2011, 18:03

I think so too.

While I in no way feel handicapped by the all-green set up, I do think the green/yellow set up is a refinement of a good idea! :thumbsup:

--Ray

GRT45
02-18-2011, 19:26
Forgive me, but your post does beg a question or two...

1) I was told by an OEM Rep that green and yellow have similar lamp life. Orange and other colors have much shorter lamp life. :eyebrow:

2) Tritium gas, as I understand it, is a natural byproduct of nuclear fission, and has no color. It merely excites the phosphor coating, of which the most naturally occurring color--and longest lasting--is green. :headscratch:

3) If that's the case, why would lamp life be affected? :dunno:

--Ray

Here is my theory addressing your question:

I expect it's more a function of the spectral sensitivity of the human eye rather than lamp life.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e9/Eyesensitivity.png/287px-Eyesensitivity.png
Spectral Sensitivity Diagram of the Human Eye

As the tritium (a colorless gas) decays over a period of several years, the rate of electrons released decreases, fewer atoms of the phosphor are excited, and fewer photons of light are released. As the light dims, the colored tritium tubes at the extremes of the spectral sensitivity curve of human eyesight will be perceived to dim more than the colored tubes near the peak of the sensitivity curve. The perceived light from the orange and blue tubes will degrade to the point of being ineffective before the yellow and green tubes.

RayB
02-23-2011, 15:07
Here is my theory addressing your question:

I expect it's more a function of the spectral sensitivity of the human eye rather than lamp life.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e9/Eyesensitivity.png/287px-Eyesensitivity.png
Spectral Sensitivity Diagram of the Human Eye

As the tritium (a colorless gas) decays over a period of several years, the rate of electrons released decreases, fewer atoms of the phosphor are excited, and fewer photons of light are released. As the light dims, the colored tritium tubes at the extremes of the spectral sensitivity curve of human eyesight will be perceived to dim more than the colored tubes near the peak of the sensitivity curve. The perceived light from the orange and blue tubes will degrade to the point of being ineffective before the yellow and green tubes.

You might have something there! :thumbsup:

--Ray