Loose Adjustable rear sight, how do I fix? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Loose Adjustable rear sight, how do I fix?

Mr_C
02-13-2011, 21:04
I just picked up a 3rd gen G27 a few days ago, pretty excited because it was either never shot or nearly unshot (no scratches on the sides of the barrel, everything perfectly clean, etc), plus it came with a bunch of extras, for a very reasonable price.

One of the extras was an adjustable rear sight. It looks like the glock brand one. I took the gun out and tested it today, and everything worked fine but it was shooting low and to the left considerably. I shoot my G19 a lot (USPSA) and this don't have much of a problem hitting targets, so I took a closer looked at the adjustable site. I noticed that the sight itself wasn't centered on the slide. I was able to slide it back to center with my hand. I am sure shooting low can be corrected with the "adjustment", but the loose rear sight is an issue for me.

I would like to use this as a carry gun, and think that I would run into an issue of the sights getting pushed to the side when carried. Is there something I can/should do to fix this, or do I just go order a set of night sights? I would prefer to keep these on it for a while, I have other things higher on the list than new sights.

minkis18
02-13-2011, 21:21
I would order another Glock sight before I bought $100 night sights. Although if you want night sights I think you just got a second reason to buy them!

I aint a gunsmith but I can't think of a good method of tightening a sight's fit onto the slide. I am assuming yours is actually sliding in the dovetail?

cptdean
02-13-2011, 21:29
A dab of blue Loctite should do the trick.

Supatroopaa
02-13-2011, 21:43
When I purchased my G23, it too came with the adjustable sights (the only G23 my local shop had available at the time). I had the same worry that you did concerning potential inconsistencies with the sight alignment.

I found that the best positioning of the sight was performed with the little flathead screws to the side of the sight. I centered the sight picture and also raised it up to the maximum height. For me, this was what achieved the best results. They stayed in position even after about a year of carry without any problems.

I recently changed them out for XS Big Dots and will install those night sights on any of my future carry weapons as well. I have shot better with the Big Dots than I had ever shot with that adjustable sight.

But as was said before, if you like those sights, just throw some locktite into the setting once you align it how you want it.

SCC
02-13-2011, 21:49
replace it with the factory ones !!!
the 27's don't need that sight ..
you can get a stock one on here for like 5 bucks

cysoto
02-13-2011, 22:07
This is God's way of telling you that you need to replace the Glock's plastic sight with something a bit more durable... :whistling:

All kidding aside... To the best of my knowledge, Glock has never offered the G27 with adjustable sights. This means that the previous owner did the switch after the purchase. Most probably what happened was that he didn't use the little shim that goes under the sight when he installed it. This is a little piece that provides friction against the frame and keeps it in place.

Truth be told, there are many better alternatives to the OEM sights and you can find them for a very affordable price. You should really consider some of your available options...

NonPCnraRN
02-14-2011, 00:53
Get an aluminum beverage can and with tin snips cut a small rectangle and place it in the slot before inserting the sight. The thin aluminum strip between the slide cut and the sight will tighten it up.

ede
02-14-2011, 02:51
remove the sight and reinstall with loctite, or use some of the wicking loctite.

SCC
02-14-2011, 09:53
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898561

rustynail
02-14-2011, 10:31
The glock adj sights do not stay zeroed very well, you can use some hair spray and it will hold them but allow you to adj them agian later, you can use locktight but they probablly will not adj agian.
May have misunderstod the OP, if the sight won't stay centered, try locktight or you may need a new sight.

CBH
02-14-2011, 10:39
The glock adj sights do not stay zeroed very well, you can use some hair spray and it will hold them but allow you to adj them agian later, you can use locktight but they probablly will not adj agian.

Yep.....they are JUNK! :shocked:
I'd just take them off and replace them with a fixed $5 sight.

Mr_C
02-14-2011, 13:58
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I know what I am going to do now. I have already contacted the seller of the factory sights (for a backup), will play with some of the methods of tightening these up a bit, but honestly, I don't understand the need for an adjustable site on a sub compact handgun. I do understand the desire for some night sights, so that will probably be my final solution.

thanks for all the advice. GT is great!

minkis18
02-14-2011, 23:24
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I know what I am going to do now. I have already contacted the seller of the factory sights (for a backup), will play with some of the methods of tightening these up a bit, but honestly, I don't understand the need for an adjustable site on a sub compact handgun. I do understand the desire for some night sights, so that will probably be my final solution.

thanks for all the advice. GT is great!
just to clarify, was it the windage adjustment that wasn't staying put or the entire apparatus? I'm just curious. I had a g35 with the adjustable sights and didn't have a problem but I was unhappy with the elevation being just a smooth cam. I kept it at 0 but it did not seem very sure or stable to me.