Backtrack [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Backtrack

GenX
02-14-2011, 16:00
Is anyone well versed in this linux distro? The problem is, getting a persistent usb install to boot on a newer laptop with an nvidia optimus gpu. At startx, no display and I've tried quite a few things. It will boot on a desktop with an ATI card. It's a persistent usb install on an 8 gig thumb drive.

What I'm trying to do, is get BT to use the intel gpu the same way ubuntu 10.10 is using it.

IndyGunFreak
02-14-2011, 16:31
Is anyone well versed in this linux distro? The problem is, getting a persistent usb install to boot on a newer laptop with an nvidia optimus gpu. At startx, no display and I've tried quite a few things. It will boot on a desktop with an ATI card. It's a persistent usb install on an 8 gig thumb drive.

What I'm trying to do, is get BT to use the intel gpu the same way ubuntu 10.10 is using it.

I'm no that familiar w/ it.. but in theory, it should boot w/o issue.. I'm *guessing*... something in xorg.conf is causing it not to load X, because it is trying to load the ATI driver...

Can you boot Backtrack Live on that machine?

GenX
02-14-2011, 16:35
I tried on a live dvd and get the same results. The usb is a live install, but I want to run it off the usb with persistence. What I have researched, it seems that optimus royally screws things up, with no intent to support it.

Although, maverick is running just fine. I tried installing nvidia early on with 10.10, but ended up just using the nouveau drivers.

IndyGunFreak
02-14-2011, 16:42
Yeah, unfortunately, I'm not that familiar w/ Backtrack.. so I'm not gonna be much use.

Get on IRC, get on the #freenode network, and join #backtrack-linux

Someone there may have an idea.

http://webchat.freenode.net/

GenX
02-14-2011, 16:48
Thanks. Thinking that using some of the tools in ubuntu will be easier. Pretty much just have to patch drivers on an already working system. That's pretty daunting stuff too, but it takes my mind off of other things.

gemeinschaft
02-14-2011, 18:31
Thanks. Thinking that using some of the tools in ubuntu will be easier. Pretty much just have to patch drivers on an already working system. That's pretty daunting stuff too, but it takes my mind off of other things.

Have you tried running BT in a Virtual Box?

I know it's not a USB, but I would be interested if that at least works for you.

I have played with BT a little and there is a lot there to learn, so I am definitely not expert.

GenX
02-14-2011, 18:39

I know it's not a USB, but I would be interested if that at least works for you.

I have played with BT a little and there is a lot there to learn, so I am definitely not expert.

Have not. I was under the impression it couldn't be used for auditing in a virtual machine. It is definitely not for new users of linux and I have a ways to go before using it efficiently. Even using it on a desktop, for me to get injection working on a usb wifi adapter is going to be a challenge. If it's even possible for said adapter.

gemeinschaft
02-14-2011, 18:55
Have not. I was under the impression it couldn't be used for auditing in a virtual machine. It is definitely not for new users of linux and I have a ways to go before using it efficiently. Even using it on a desktop, for me to get injection working on a usb wifi adapter is going to be a challenge. If it's even possible for said adapter.

Not sure if this is the exact solution, but I think it may give you a roadmap to it:

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/hardware-compatibility-list/36066-intel-hd-graphics-|-backtrack-4-r2.html

GenX
02-14-2011, 19:12
Thanks. I registered a couple weeks ago and did see that thread. My xorg.conf file is nothing compared to what's in the thread. There is absolutely nothing to edit. There is another poster on there that is trying to get the same machine going, with no luck. Fix-vesa does not work. I can get networking through terminal if I'm wired, just no display.

IndyGunFreak
02-14-2011, 19:49

Unfortunately using it in Virtualbox is going to probably be close to useless. Tried it... not to say it's impossible, but I couldn't get it to work properly.

GenX
02-14-2011, 20:06
I just tried loading in virtual box and it flat out wont install.

IndyGunFreak
02-14-2011, 20:17
I just tried loading in virtual box and it flat out wont install.

LOL... Well I managed to get it to install (granted, this was a while ago)... but enabling any of its features was impossible for me.

IGF

wct097
02-14-2011, 20:31
Might try running:

Xorg -configure

Probably needs to have the proper mode setup.

GenX
02-14-2011, 20:45
LOL... Well I managed to get it to install (granted, this was a while ago)... but enabling any of its features was impossible for me.

IGF
Pretty sure it failed because I used an iso image and not a vmware image.

IndyGunFreak
02-14-2011, 20:52
Pretty sure it failed because I used an iso image and not a vmware image.

You should be able to boot an ISO image, and install it to a virtual hard drive.

I never used a Vmware image (note, I used Virtualbox also, if that matters.. not VMware)

IGF