Slugs for cylinder bore [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Slugs for cylinder bore

mainegunner
02-15-2011, 04:33
I have a remington 870P with a cylinder bore. I am wondering what some of you guy's with the same barrel are using for slugs?

collim1
02-15-2011, 05:50
I have a 870P and a Mossberg 500 with a 20" cylinder bore.

I use either Brenneke KO slugs or Federal Tactical LE slugs. At 50yds I can keep 5 slugs on a Q-target off hand. I have rifle sights on the 870 and a bead on the mossberg, doesnt seem to make much difference.

Z71bill
02-15-2011, 10:11
I have tried several different slugs - but mostly shot

Wolff, Winchester & Remington.

I buy the cheapest slugs I can find - and they all perform about the same -

Maybe because I don't shoot them much past 50 yards. :upeyes:

A few years ago gun show had Wolff slugs for $2 / box of 5 - I tried 10 boxes - they worked just as good as the other brands - so next show I bought as many as I could carry. :cool:

They are almost all gone - last week I was at a gun show figured I would stock up - Wolff slugs $5.00 a box. :crying:

Walmart sells Winchester or Remington slugs $9 / 15 rounds - best deal I can find and since I am a cheap ass that is what I will be shooting.

If I was hunting deer and needed to make a 100+ yard shot I would test some more expensive slugs - see what works the best - blasting away at the range - Walmart stuff works fine.

I would not be afraid to use WM slugs & buck shot as a HD load - I have never had a failure of any kind with them.

mixflip
02-15-2011, 12:26
I use pretty much any 1oz rifled slug. I am not picky since I dont try and hit anything beyond 50 yards with it in a defensive situation anyway.

Sorry if this is a slug hunter question, I cant help?

Teecher45
02-15-2011, 15:50
What are you wanting to use them for?
Paper, whatever is the cheapest.
SHTF, buy as many different types as you can and shoot them to see which ones you (and your shotgun) likes the best.
Hunting or longer shots, Federal TruBall. Yep, they are rifled, but I'm telling you, you owe it to yourself to try them. It is all I buy now.

mainegunner
02-15-2011, 18:20
I will strickly be using them for self defense. I will have to try a few different brands and see what works best. Thank's

Big Bird
02-15-2011, 21:20
With your top three brand (Win, Rem, Fed) 1 ounce 2 3/4" Foster slugs and rifle or ghost ring sights on a smoothbore cylinder choked gun it is not at all a stretch to be able to consistently hit a man sized target at 125 yards. Whether you are capable of making the shot is another issue

ScrappyDoo
02-16-2011, 10:24
I generally buy the cheapest. I have a cylinder bore ( and in my Benelli Supernova turkey gun I had chokes but Not ever used them) in my Mossberg 930 SPX , and I have some Remington Sluggers but usually buy the packs of Winchester " hollow point rifled slugs " (and their buckshot packs too). These are fine for me , I don't have to make or take too precise a shot with the shotgun. I figure I can use these for taking an animal or engine block in case of emergency. That's all I really need slugs for.

Icer 10
02-16-2011, 11:30
I will strickly be using them for self defense. I will have to try a few different brands and see what works best. Thank's

I have a Mossberg 930 SPX and use these for play.

Brenneke Black Magic Short Magnum Slugs

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=113977

I use these for Home Defense.

Brenneke Tactical Home Defense Slugs

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=113975

ScrappyDoo
02-16-2011, 12:58
Icer I also have a 930 SPX. as I mentiOned I don't shoot too many slugs but I try to stock them up , as I believe a shotgun ( and lots of ammo, definitely lots of different ammo types if possible , just on case) will be real real helpful in a SHTF situation.

I use regular 00 Buck for home defense , 2 3/4" Winchester 15 packs ( and like I said I usually buy a box or two of the 15 packs of Winchester hollow point rifled slugs as well) .... I like PDX-1 but is real real expensive , real expensive... My overall favorite for HD is hornady TAP ... it's awesome and it's smaller than regular 00 Buck rounds.. So its less recoil and you can actually tuck an extra round in the tube most of the times. So I love using it but it's also expensive , 8-13 dollars per 5 pack ... And most ppl say to me , jus save my money and use cheap 00 buck for HD , 9 pellets of 00 buck will work on kabooming bad guys no matter how much it costs n

Icer 10
02-16-2011, 16:23
I agree...When you or your family's life is in danger, who cares what a good HD round costs.

triggerjerk
02-16-2011, 16:36
Wolf or Brenneke. Although Wolf uses a Brenneke-type.

However, I have a shootin' buddy whose Nova likes the Walmart remmy slugs.
Strange, since mine hates them (accuracy wise).

WoodenPlank
02-16-2011, 16:50
I run Winchester SuperX 1oz slugs in my Mossberg 590. Accuracy is still pretty respectable, but I havent done much distance shooting with them. 4 of them live in the Speedfeed stock, mainly for barrier penetration duties.