Air Guns [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Air Guns

Spats McGee
02-15-2011, 13:22
I have a question in reference to a survival plan for myself and my family. Rabbits and squirrels are fairly plentiful in my part of the country, and I have been considering buying an air rifle of some sort for this kind of small game.

Is this a viable or advisable option? Here's my thinking:

1) They're light.
2) They're quiet.
3) Ammunition is even cheaper than .22LR.
4) No powder to get wet.
5) Ammunition is small and easy to transport and store.

I hope that this is the right spot for this question. I ran a search, but got an error, so I couldn't find a thread where it had been discussed. Does this seem like a viable option? From what I've seen (which isn't very much on this issue), I could buy a whole bunch of .22LR rounds for the cost of a good air rifle alone, so I don't know if it would make sense to buy one.

Thoughts?

JC Refuge
02-15-2011, 13:56
I think that, yes, certainly an air gun can play a part in your survival plan.

I don't believe I would rely on an air gun alone, but it's a start.

So too, I'd suggest that you probably can't count on small game or even larger game being there in plentiful numbers when you really need it. Presumably everybody else in your area will be hunting as well, if things get bad.

But yes--an air gun for small game can play a part in your preparedness planning.

Spats McGee
02-15-2011, 14:25
Thank you for your response. I don't intend to rely solely on an air gun, and you make an excellent point about everybody else hunting at the same time. I appreciate the input.