Right to Carry gaining speed in Illinois! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Right to Carry gaining speed in Illinois!

05FLHT
02-15-2011, 15:25
To all Illinois Glock Talk members. It appears the push for Right to Carry is on in Illinois. HB148 is taking on sponsors and word coming down from multiple reliable sources is the opposition is willing to compromise on passing a carry bill.

A vast wealth of information can be found at illinoiscarry(dot)com. Come over, read up on what's happening, join, and get ready for things to really start to heat up. We are going to need calls, emails, faxes, and personal visits paid to reps to get this thing passed.

JK-linux
02-15-2011, 15:50

theTactician
02-16-2011, 15:05
Wow, this is great news for us illinois gun owners! :supergrin:

volsbear
02-18-2011, 11:49
There is no way in hell that John Cullerton is going to call this bill for a vote. Madigan - probably not, but maybe since he's pooping on democrats on other issues this month.

It is EXTREMELY important to recognize two things in Illinois -

1. Not all democrats are anti-gun. In fact, most democrats west of I-355 and south of I-80 are very supportive of the second amendment. It's a completely different cultural in less Chicago-esque communities. That fact not withstanding,

2. The prevailing opinion of democrats is pro-carry, however the speaker of the house and president of the senate do not and WILL NOT reprsent the prevailing opinion of the aggregate of their party. They will ONLY represent themselves and the opinions of machine politicians located in Chitcago.

MakeMineA10mm
02-21-2011, 13:38
In addition to Vols comments, we also have the Governor to contend with...

Also, Shadid is no longer in the Legislature (I think), but there was just a big expose/series of reports on WEEK-TV (Channel 25 out of Peoria) about concealed carry in Illinois. They interviewed REPUBLICAN state's attorney Kevin Lyon, who took a non-committal but generally anti-CCW position when interviewed. (He said something like "Illinois isn't anti-gun; we're just at the far end of a spectrum of ways that different states have decided to deal with the question of crime and concealed carry...")

With the current legislature and governor's office, I'm just not holding my breath... My rep is one of the co-sponsors who introduced the legislation. Proud of him, but I think it's just so much beating our head against the wall with the Machine Democrats running the state.

IndianaMatt
02-21-2011, 14:45
This is awesome news. I wonder if maybe maybe maybe 2011 will be the year Illinois finally follows suit for the rest of the 48 states that allow CCW.

Mochahooligan
02-21-2011, 20:46
All I can say is I hope this passes! this would be great!

volsbear
02-21-2011, 20:59
In addition to Vols comments, we also have the Governor to contend with...

Also, Shadid is no longer in the Legislature (I think), but there was just a big expose/series of reports on WEEK-TV (Channel 25 out of Peoria) about concealed carry in Illinois. They interviewed REPUBLICAN state's attorney Kevin Lyon, who took a non-committal but generally anti-CCW position when interviewed. (He said something like "Illinois isn't anti-gun; we're just at the far end of a spectrum of ways that different states have decided to deal with the question of crime and concealed carry...")

With the current legislature and governor's office, I'm just not holding my breath... My rep is one of the co-sponsors who introduced the legislation. Proud of him, but I think it's just so much beating our head against the wall with the Machine Democrats running the state.

The governor would be in a pickle if it SOMEHOW made through both chambers of the general assembly. I was at I-Gold in 2009 where he told a group of female ISRA members that if the assembly passed the bill, he would sign it and not veto it.

That was a carefully crafted statement. Obviously, he knew he'd never be put that in position.

Interesting though - the potential revenue off of this bill would be intriguing. You're talking about an application fee of up to $200 per person plus a tax on whatever "safety class" they mandate. And the state needs money.

theTactician
02-22-2011, 12:49
I think the cost wont be that much of an issue for me for as long as we, as civilians, would be granted the right to legally carry firearms. I hope this pushes through. :wavey:

volsbear
03-03-2011, 10:58
HB 112 and HB 148 are in committee on March 8th. Rumors I'm hearing is that the house has roughly 63-71 votes in favor. Of course, bills need to be called for a vote first.

House Speaker Mike Madigan - (217) 782-5350.

Senate President John Cullerton - (217) 782-2728.

jcsd2407
03-31-2011, 21:17
HB 112 and HB 148 are in committee on March 8th. Rumors I'm hearing is that the house has roughly 63-71 votes in favor. Of course, bills need to be called for a vote first.

House Speaker Mike Madigan - (217) 782-5350.

Senate President John Cullerton - (217) 782-2728.

Any updated news on this?

volsbear
04-01-2011, 04:24
There's been a negotiation on Jay Hoffman's bill. The Illinois Police Chiefs Association finally signed on for CCW in Illinois with some additional restrictions. Permit applications would to ISP. Local LE would be notified of the application and would have an opportunity to "object" based upon their own contacts with the applicant but ultimately the decision to grant the permit or not would come from ISP. Additionally, the agreement puts an expiration date on permits and requires applicants to complete a firearms safety course (range time and classroom time) prior to the issuance or reissuance of any permit.

Personally, I don't mind the notification and "objection" of local law enforcement provided there is some kind of checks and balances put in. Local LE makes contacts that often do not result in arrest, but does result in evidence of mental health issues. Those contacts may or may not be relevant but perhaps by looking at them the gun-lobby can avoid another Tucson or any situation where someone who is not otherwise excluded from own posession (other than a hidden mental health illness) doing something horrible.

BobbyT
04-01-2011, 04:39
Interesting though - the potential revenue off of this bill would be intriguing. You're talking about an application fee of up to $200 per person plus a tax on whatever "safety class" they mandate. And the state needs money.

There's nothing "intriguing" about it. Illinois already grabs enough of my money, there is nothing positive about giving it another source. The state doesn't need more money; every time its revenues (from taxpayers who work for a living) increase, its spending (on nonworking tax-recipient dependents) increases even further.

The state needs to see what happens when you run out of revenue sources and drive everyone away: Detroit.

Local LE would be notified of the application and would have an opportunity to "object" based upon their own contacts with the applicant but ultimately the decision to grant the permit or not would come from ISP. Additionally, the agreement puts an expiration date on permits and requires applicants to complete a firearms safety course (range time and classroom time) prior to the issuance or reissuance of any permit.

Sorry, but we don't have a Bill of Grants and Permission Slips with Expirations and Strings Attached. I see no reason why I should have to beg for a permit that can be arbitrarily denied, required to pay an exorbitant fee, then re-pay to re-beg for new permission forever, and spend time and money on a class I've somehow safely handled guns for years without attending.

It should not be up to a government employee's opinion or mood as to whether I'm allowed to exercise a right. I'd rather just see Chicago and Illinois sued into oblivion, our 2nd Amendment bans struck down, and constitutional carry the law of the land by default, rather than end up with "Right" to Carry with so many expenses and restrictions that no one can actually exercise it.

volsbear
04-01-2011, 04:54
You'll be waiting a long time under your "sued to oblivion" theory.

You can tinkle into the wind all you want. The only way CCW is going to happen in Illinois is with restrictions. Most states who have gone to CCW over the last 15 years started slow and then progressively expanded gun rights. I don't disagree with you on how things SHOULD be, but you've got to decide to live in a little place called REALITY.

The reality is it will be a miracle if the bill even gets called, particularly in the senate.

pm666
04-03-2011, 22:43
I don't think ccw will happen in IL, regardless does anyone know the date it will be either yea or nay?

pnutcar
04-03-2011, 22:55
I hope you guys get it, I avoid Obamastan as much as possible.

MakeMineA10mm
04-03-2011, 23:37
Obamastan... Nice. I'm gonna use that. :supergrin:

volsbear
04-05-2011, 13:32
April 1, 2011 -

Illinois General Assembly,

The membership and the executive board of the Chicago Police Lieutenants Association wish to express their full support for House Bill 0148. We recognize the importance and the need for the citizens of the State of Illinois to be allowed legally protect themselves with the right to carry a weapon concealed. We feel that it would enhance citizen safety and in the end make our job easier.
We strongly urge members of the Illinois General Assembly to support this bill.

Thank you,

Robert Weisskopf
President

pm666
04-05-2011, 17:56
April 1, 2011 -

April Fool! couldn't resist

JokerOne
04-21-2011, 11:36
Two of our state reps told us in a town hall meeting in March that If Quinn wants republicans and downstate democrats to sign off on his budget then Concealed Carry is going to have to be signed, along with a bill that makes a FOID card the only thing needed in any municipality in the state.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
In other words Quinn needs accomplices to his reckless spending and CC and a seamless gun law are the only way he will get it. (if you believe what you are told.)

FearNada
04-21-2011, 12:11
Two of our state reps told us in a town hall meeting ...

That would be great!

Agonizer
04-21-2011, 12:39
And Wisconsin will be last. :steamed:

volsbear
04-21-2011, 14:33
And Wisconsin will be last. :steamed:

I seriously doubt that. Wisconsin's legislature has passed it twice but the former governor pulled out the veto pen each time. And now the governor's mansion and legislature both are far more conservative.

Illinois needs a home-rule defeating vote to pass CCW. It'll be tough - provided Madigan and Cullerton even call the bills for a vote instead of burying them in committee.

blueberry1177
01-02-2012, 23:41
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I think it was ironic in a way how the obove posts relating to WI passing it last proved to be false as now Illinois is the last state. Though my vote doesn't pass in your state most of my relatives live in Central Illinois and I would love to see this law passed sometime in the near future! Good luck on the good fight.

Tagged for that one day to come