Need new DSL wireless gateway [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need new DSL wireless gateway

Petra
02-15-2011, 23:07
I've been having problems with my DSL connection dropping. I've contacted AT&T several times. They've run tests. They sent out a tech. Still lose the connection. The last suggestion was that my wireless router could be going out. (I have a 2Wire wireless gateway.)

Looking for recommendations for a new wireless gateway. What does the hive recommend?

Pierre!
02-15-2011, 23:40
Several years ago I sold my Parents In-Law a used computer. (Yah, I know... What WAS I thinkin???) At the time they purchased they said that they had NO INTENTION to put it on the Internet.

Within 2 weeks I get a call saying that AT&T says my computer is a piece of doo-doo! (Them's fighting words!) The DSL would not work, and the computer was bad.

And, the computer was fine. I would take it home to my cable system (and my parents in-law would come and watch) and it would just *fly* through the internet.

Eventually, and it seriously was over 20 'service calls' with AT&T technicians on the line, I told them who I was, what I did for a living, and that I would make a movie of the computer in proper operation at any time... But, we were cancelling the service due to their 'failure to perform' and we were out of the contract. I am certain that we were over 3 months now, and it simply would not work.

The next day an AT&T tech shows up at the in-laws house, moves a wire in the phone box, and the internet is up, and has been up for close to 6 years now!

The computer now takes between 15 and 30 minutes to start up, and will start up all by it's self... but it still works.

The point of my story - What they tell you on the phone, and what the truth is may just be 2 different things. You should get a technician out to the house to assure that the installation is right and wired correctly.

Now - back to working your issue...
Does it work well when wired?
Are there any cordless phones or base stations near the wireless router?
As asked in another thread - do you have the wireless NIC set to allow windows to put it to sleep?
You have scanned your system in SAFE MODE and you know that you have no infections?

If that is the case - all is clear - I just replaced an old Netgear with a D-Link DIR655, and I am pretty happy with the DIR655! It was bout $70 at the time, and I see them for the same price on NewEgg right now. WPA2, Fast Draft-N support, USB port, and it's been very reliable.

Hope that helps you out!

Petra
02-16-2011, 00:00
Thanks for the recommendation Pierre.

I've had problems with AT&T "tech support" before so I usually just bypass them and get bumped to the next tier. They could see the intermittent service loss and sent out a tech. He tried a few things and could tell the signal would drop. He did say the house has "old wiring" which may cause a problem. He re-ran the wire to the DSL router so that it's a shorter run and not tied in to any of the other jacks in the house. Not sure what that meant but he said the house was wired weird. (Previous owner was a DIY'er and not very good at it.) Also put in new filters.

As to your other questions. Wireless works fine. I'm only losing internet. I've tried it with and without cordless phone. Makes no difference. I've had the DSL service for over a year with no trouble. It's only been losing connectivity for about 3 weeks. We do not have NIC so no sleep mode. Have multiple computers connected (2 Windows PC and one Mac that's only about 2 weeks old.)

I'm leaning towards the modem portion of the wireless gateway going out. At least, I'm hoping that's what it is as having to deal further with AT&T may make me go insane.

kc8ykd
02-16-2011, 02:35
is there any logs the modem keeps? like s/n ratio, link status drops/ups, atm stats

this information would be beneficial in determining if it really is a problem with the modem or something wiring related (and possibly on their side of the connection). a make/model number of the dsl modem/router would be helpful as well.

theoretically, it would be best (since the wiring in the house is both old and wierd) to run a line directly from the NID to the dsl modem. the other line from the NID to the house wiring should have a dsl filter connected in-line to filter the entire house (unless you've got an alarm system, then the schematic changes just a little).

but, better to try and diagnose what's going on currently before we start making changes to how things are setup.

keep in mind, at&t will try and charge you for truck rolls if they don't find anything wrong with their side of the connection (which stops at the customer side of the NID).