Standard Stock or Pistol Grip? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Standard Stock or Pistol Grip?

ricklee4570
02-17-2011, 12:33
Just curious as to which you prefer? I have only shot with the standard stock. Is there any tactical advantage with the pistol grip stock?

jsdintexas
02-17-2011, 12:54
The pistol grip, being shorter, is easier to move around in confined space such as a bedroom. With that said, I have a removable tactical stock on a Mossberg Persuader but leave it on because it affords me more stability when shooting and "feels" better for me, whether up at my shoulder or crouched under my armpit above the waist a bit.

David Armstrong
02-17-2011, 14:20
For the typical owner/user there is no advantage to a pistol grip-only stock, tactical or otherwise.

mixflip
02-17-2011, 15:34
In my personal experience a pistol grip (stock) is easier to handle in tight spaces because you can slide the stock up slightly over your shoulder & canted or slid the stock under your armpit or outside your forearm if you got yourself into a tight non-traditional shooting position or tight area of a structure. Life isnt lived on a static square box range unfortunately.

Also the LOP seems slightly shorter on most pistol grips. If this is just in my head then I apologize but I own both and the pistol grip does feel shorter to me.

Also for military & law enforcement types (or preppers lol) who might be using a gas mask, some say a pistol grip allows for easier aiming with a mask on?

For average Joe home defense...it will just be personal preference and the average Joe will not really have any HUGE justification going with one or the other just to do basic HD work. i.e. fetch your kids, retreat to a safe hardened position, call 911 and cover the fatal funnel. Any gun can do that level of shooting and tactics. I dont recommend clearing your house by yourself if there are unknown amount of bad guys coming in? They travel in packs usually. For example the Billings family murdered in Florida and the guy attacked in Az by 4 bad guys (one with a rifle).

I like both and practice with both since I cant guarantee that I will be fighting for my life (or my families life) with my own gun 100% of the time.

I abhor pistol grip only shotguns for HD.

furioso2112
02-17-2011, 15:36
I FAR prefer a pistol grip - much more natural wrist position to carry and shoot, more maneuverable.

WoodenPlank
02-17-2011, 15:37
Are you referring to the Pistol grip/shoulder stock, or pistol grip only? Thats an important difference.

BailRecoveryAgent
02-17-2011, 15:50
In the words of a Rage Against The Machine cover of a Volume 10 song from the early 90's, "Pistol grip pump on my lap at all times, they can be messin wit other peoples stuff but they betta not be messin wit mine."

I like the looks of the pistol grip, and it feels cool shooting it. The manuverablility advantage is an advantage you hope you never have to put into play in real life.

ricklee4570
02-17-2011, 16:27
I was referring to pistol grip shoulder stock.

SPECOPS72
02-17-2011, 16:28
pistol grip only.....don't care for it on a defensive shotgun.

pistol gripped stock....of the one's I've handled the grip seemed to be at an odd angle. This wouldn't be my preference, but in my opinion would be ok on a defensive shotgun

standard stock / collapsible type stock...these are my preference, and the only types I have on my shotguns

WoodenPlank
02-17-2011, 17:20

The biggest problem I have with those is with my Mossberg shotgun's safety location. It is much harder to actuate a tang-mounted safety with a PG stock.

aippi
02-17-2011, 18:58
Yes, all advantage. The stocks like the SF III, IV, IV-S, Knoxx SpecOps and the M-4 type stocks give you multiple advantages.

For point shooting at close ranges having you hand on the pistol grip is more natural to point fire with. They also give you more control.

They add additional surface to spread the felt recoil.

And most important of all is this. THEY ARE BETTER FOR WEAPON RETENTION. Anyone reading this who thinks he can't have his weapon taken is a foolish person. Your ability to retain your weapon if it is grabed is greatly increased with one of these stocks. I saw this first hands in weapons retention drills for my HRT. In the early years we only had hardwood stock 870's and our rifle was the Colt LE. I saw how easy it was for guys to get the shotguns away from each other in drill but it was very difficult with the AR. Latter we changed to the SF IV type stocks, then call Davis and man what a difference. The guys would go at it so hard in these drills trying to get the shotguns away that we had some injuries and had to tone it down.

So yes, these type of stock give you multiple advantages and no dissadvantage that I am aware of.

ricklee4570
02-18-2011, 07:39
Where is the best place online to find the pistol grip stock?

David Armstrong
02-18-2011, 13:22
Very different animal than just a pistol grip. In that case, it becomes very much an individual thing, IMO. I've had some pistol gripped stocks that were nice to work with, I've had others that significantly reduced the usability of the gun. For example, to build on aippi's post, while most of the newer designs are good for weapon retention one design long ago became sort of infamous for trapping your thumb and breaking it if the gun was twisted in a certain way. One thing I do really like about them is that it seems folks pull the gun in tighter when shooting it with the pistol gripped stock.

Ferdinandd
02-20-2011, 20:08
I really like a SF shoulder stock with pistol grip. The angle of my wrist is more comfortable and the gun points very natuarally, and maneuverability and handling is generally improved for me. The PG also helps with weapon retention if its grabbed from the business end, if that's a concern for you.

ronin.45
02-20-2011, 20:29
I prefer the standard stock. I've played with the pistol grip version but prefer the normal.

byf43
02-21-2011, 07:43
Since I'm an old bird hunter, I'm used to the conventional stock on my shotguns.

I do like the Blackhawk (Knoxx) SpecOps, though. On the 870, it's very convenient and ergonomic.

I got a great deal on an older 1100, and set it up as a "Competition Master Clone".
The only deviation that I made, was to put a Speedfeed III stock on it.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/byf43/Shotgun%20pics/1100CMCloneII.jpg

I found this stock to be 'o.k.', but, with the long magazine extension the balance point is a lot farther forward than I liked with that buttstock.
Also, reloading quickly with that stock was cumbersome, for me.

So, I put a conventional Speedfeed III stock on it.

Denied
02-21-2011, 08:14
The speed feed with pistol grip is a far better choice, remember the likelihood of having a flashlight as well as the shotgun, with the pistol grip stock the stock is place in the armpit so control of the weapon using the pistol grip is much better.

22highcaps
02-21-2011, 08:41
I prefer the pistol gripped shoulder stock for everything but a bird/trap gun. Try reloading while keeping the muzzle on target with a conventional stock and you wrist is at an odd angle while having to support the weight of the gun. With the pgss it is at a much more natural angle.

David Armstrong
02-21-2011, 14:22
I prefer the pistol gripped shoulder stock for everything but a bird/trap gun. Try reloading while keeping the muzzle on target with a conventional stock and you wrist is at an odd angle while having to support the weight of the gun. With the pgss it is at a much more natural angle.
If you feel you need to keep the muzzle on the target, perhaps it isn't the best time to consider fumbling around with a reload? :dunno:

22highcaps
02-22-2011, 20:16
If you feel you need to keep the muzzle on the target, perhaps it isn't the best time to consider fumbling around with a reload? :dunno:

Who said anything about fumbling? With a pistol grip'd stock it is not nearly as hard as it is with a fudd stock. There is no awkwardness and that is the point. Besides, I would rather have more than just the round in the chamber in an uncertain situation.

mdfd
02-22-2011, 21:26
In general and tactically speaking it is always a good idea and practice to keep your weapon pointed towards the threat/target while you reload...
For that reason, I prefer the pistol grip shoulder stock over the standard ones. I don't bird hunt that often, and most of my trigger time is practice at targets and drills against 2-legged critter situations....

leadcounsel
03-13-2011, 16:34
In general and tactically speaking it is always a good idea and practice to keep your weapon pointed towards the threat/target while you reload...

Well, that depends... I would say that in a tactical situation you want to take cover first, keeping your weapon pointed in a safe direction (such as toward the threat, or toward the ground, downrange, etc.).

mdfd
03-13-2011, 17:00
Well, that depends... I would say that in a tactical situation you want to take cover first, keeping your weapon pointed in a safe direction (such as toward the threat, or toward the ground, downrange, etc.).

while I agree, the issue of taking cover has no bearing on whether you prefer a pistol grip stock or standard shoulder stock, which is what my comment was centered around. OTOH, a PG stock lends itself to be pointed towards the threat while reloading, at least for me...

David Armstrong
03-14-2011, 12:18
Who said anything about fumbling? With a pistol grip'd stock it is not nearly as hard as it is with a fudd stock. There is no awkwardness and that is the point. Besides, I would rather have more than just the round in the chamber in an uncertain situation.
"Try reloading while keeping the muzzle on target with a conventional stock and you wrist is at an odd angle while having to support the weight of the gun."
Certainly seems it indicate a bit of fumbling but maybe that seems to be smooth and efficient to you?
If you need to keep the muzzle on the target, keep the muzzle on the
target. If you need to reload, reload. Trying to do both at the same time is a bit of a problem. Yes I know it can be done, yes I've done it, yes I've seen it flubbed repeatedly on the range during training. If you are in a situation that is so dangerous you feel you have to keep the muzzle on the BG while reloading you probably shouldn't be worrying about reloading. My $.02.

22highcaps
03-15-2011, 19:07
"Try reloading while keeping the muzzle on target with a conventional stock and you wrist is at an odd angle while having to support the weight of the gun."
Certainly seems it indicate a bit of fumbling but maybe that seems to be smooth and efficient to you?

The key words being "with a conventional stock"...

Aceman
03-15-2011, 20:03
What Aippi said.

The ONLY issue is, with a Mossberg, the safety is not easily/immediately accessible from the firing position.

If you are obsessive-compulsive safety twiddler, this might be a problem.

I am not...if it gets picked up for percieved business, the safety went off when I was picking it up and stayed that way.

I really like the m4 style with a pistol grip. Overall, I'll say I think a pistol grip stock just handles quicker than a standard stock.

#5xbr
03-24-2011, 22:38
i think a lot of folkes are getting confused about pistol grip only stocks-most people really want a combo pistolgrip/shoulder stock -they need pics!