Glock cleaning/maintenance issue [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock cleaning/maintenance issue

ksfiremarshal
02-17-2011, 12:17
Could not resist this. Hopefully the pic will load with this comment.

I noticed this photo of the striker opening on a Glock for sale in a popular auction site. For those who may wonder what it looks like, notice the debris in the opening.

My guess is that if not already, pretty soon this pistol will be showing fail to fire, ie: light primer strikes. The debris showing around the opening is certainly building up inside the FP/Striker channel as well.

Any comments welcome.

cciman
02-17-2011, 14:15
Can't tell by the picture what that "debris" is.

Could be grease, lint, or dirt. Does not necessarily mean that this gun will stop firing. See the Glock 21 torture test.

I would clean out the firing pin chamber if I saw that. Not a real issue, if that is what you are wondering.

Dave.1
02-17-2011, 15:20
I agree with cciman. A detail cleaning of the slide with a pipe cleaner run thru the striker opening would probably do.

I don't detail my frames very often but do the slides at least twice a year.

Dave

mr.26
02-17-2011, 15:59
Gunk in the trunk
A good detailed cleaning would take care of that no problem

ksfiremarshal
02-17-2011, 16:55
Would anyone of us allow this buildup on a CCW or duty pistol? I sure would not.

Even considering the "torture test of the Glock 21" taken into account. You goin to carry this gun in this condition? I did not say that this gun was going to stop firing. Grease, dirt or lint? MR.26. I agree. "Detailed" cleaning would take care of this problem. Problem is, how long did it take to create this problem?

Bottom line, in my opinion, someone not cleaning, inspecting, pistol on a regular basis. I certainly do better for my crew.

Thanks for the replies. I will shut up now.

mes228
02-25-2011, 18:00
I had a Glock Armour go over my Model 23. He made an interestig comment I've not heard before. He shook my Glock back and forth and said "that's the only Glock I've seen this show that was right. I can hear the firing pin make a noise when I shake it. You are cleaning it correctly". At least that what I understood him to say. I do not clean the firing pin hole often. But I do hit it with a blast of powder residue remover on occassion. Then lube with RemOil to prevent rusting.

DEJ/FL
03-03-2011, 15:41
I had a Glock Armour go over my Model 23. He made an interestig comment I've not heard before. He shook my Glock back and forth and said "that's the only Glock I've seen this show that was right. I can hear the firing pin make a noise when I shake it. You are cleaning it correctly". At least that what I understood him to say. I do not clean the firing pin hole often. But I do hit it with a blast of powder residue remover on occassion. Then lube with RemOil to prevent rusting.

You should not be applying any oil to the firing pin area on any Glock. This area must remain dry of lubricants. Oil in this area will collect firing residue and cause a FTF. Brush the breach face with the muzzle end of the slide point down. Using an Gun Scrubber is fine as long as you have the slide pointed muzzle end DOWN. There is a hole just behind the breach face on the bottom of the slide you can spray some Gun Scrubber in also.

Dan:cool:

cciman
03-04-2011, 08:37
??? What gun show was this??

The armorer must have been trying to impress you, or compliment you to sell you other stuff.

On an unloaded striker, it is normal for the striker to rattle inside the slide. If you push down on the striker safety button, and shake the slide, it should rattle loosely. Even if the channel is dirty, it probably will still rattle. It's got to be pretty dirty to make a difference.

Quick way (not the safest way) to tell if a Glock is loaded is to shake it next to your ear (finger off the trigger), and listen for the (quiet) striker rattle-- if the striker rattles, it means it is not cocked, and trigger is in rest position.

If your EDC Glock rattles while you walk- you better see if there is a round in the chamber.

mes228
03-04-2011, 16:27
Nothing in the firing pin area, I've READ that too. I suspect I've put well over 10,000 rounds through the approx. 20 Glocks I've owned. Several each of Models 17,19,22,23. There is so much BS on the web about about Glock maintenance that I long for some common sense. If you fire multiple thousands of rounds between cleaning - I suspect you are right. I'm sure you are "technically" right anyway.

However, every few hundred rounds I clean the weapon, perhaps even more frequently. And I always spray cleaner into/behind the ejector and the firing pin and then relube with RemOil. I don't reccomend this to anyone else. But will say, I've never had a malfunction in a Glock of any type in those 10K rounds. And I'd say 10K is a very conservative estimate. I guess I'm just stupid as I also clean and lightly oil all the bolts on rifles. Even AR's - shucks I've been known to run grease in strategic areas on rifles including AR's. No offense intended, theres just so much BS I can stand.

cciman
03-04-2011, 18:15
Agreed, there is alot of BS, regurgitated dogma, and anecdotal (poor) evidence, not just having to do with Glocks. There is no study basis for for much of it.

Garbage in, garbage out.

Can't wait for the next lube or cleaner thread.

unclebob
03-04-2011, 18:54
A Glock runs best when it is basically dry. There are only 5 places that you lube a Glock and the firing pin channel is not one of them. The firing pin channel is self-cleaning and oil or grease only help in gumming things up. A Glock is not a bolt action rifle, Ar-15, or a 1911. Read your owner manual, The Glock in Competition, The Complete Glock Reference Guide. They all say not to put oil in the firing pin channel area. Granted they are your guns and you can clean and lube them any way you want. Just donít blame the gun when it wonít fire. 10,000 rds. Is really a very small amount of rounds fired even in one Glock.

mes228
03-05-2011, 04:52
That round count is just a figure, and I said it was conservative. I shoot just about every week and 2-3 boxes would be the norm. A lot of this is 1911 pistols though, so I have no real idea. Thats over 100,000 rounds in 13 years. I've been shooting Glocks for 13 years as I know the date I received my first one. Just my opinion based on shooting them, I would run nothing dry, even Glocks. I run Sentry Hi-Slip Grease on the rails and other "wear" points and lube the remainder with RemOil. If you just carry the weapon it MIGHT work well to run it basically dry. If you wish to shoot the weapon regularly, personally I'd lube it. But then again - I'm no expert and there are many experts on the internet that know a lot. I will say this, that ever how many thousands of rounds I've fired through Glocks they have very,very,very little discernable wear. I attribute that to lube.

lethal tupperwa
03-05-2011, 06:23
Glocks have this paper in the case with pictures on it.

It will show you where to lube your Glock.

Nobody says not to lube.

They do say keep the lube out of the firing pin channel.

mteagle1
03-05-2011, 13:03
Glocks have this paper in the case with pictures on it.

It will show you where to lube your Glock.

Nobody says not to lube.

They do say keep the lube out of the firing pin channel.

Sorry my Glock box (tupperware) just has a picture showing not to put a loaded gun in the box. The owners manual is the best reference.

lethal tupperwa
03-05-2011, 13:25
the "paper in the case" is the manual. :O)

mes228
03-05-2011, 17:00
I wrote a lengthy reply and this hotels net connection expired for the 24 hour period just as I hit the button. What a blessing!! It did not post!! It's such a silly point that it's not worth the effort to reply. Only an idiot would argue the point. So "you are right" as to what the manual says. So, very best regards and have a great day.